Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski Mountaineering and piste - one system

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just bought a new pair of ski mountaineering boots scarpa spirit 4. I am looking for bindings and skis that I can use for downhill on piste and for ski mountaineering (mainly in Scotland but in the future an alpine trip maybe). I am 6ft 4 and 46 years old so maybe not as reckless as I used to be. I cant justify two sets. Any advice? Are the fritschi freeride bindings the safest for a bit of downhill? I would probably hire for alpine downhill week with family and friends and go as light as possible for the mountaineering but my feet are a bit problematic and I hope the new boots will sort this but they are not meant to be used in a downhill binding due to the vibram sole? Any advice?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'd stick some dynafits on your "all mountain" ski of choice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno wrote:
i'd stick some dynafits on your "all mountain" ski of choice

The correct answer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sadly you made the catastrophic mistake of not a acquiring nordica Dobermann SLR touring skis and Aggressor freeride boots. Oh well, next time...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, can you get WC150s with a Vibram sole? Less Doberman, more Rottweiler?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor, you can do anything with the right drill...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Phew sorry I shouldn't post then go away for the weekend. The good news is that good though those boots may be - they dont make them for people with size 12, its a bit of a major defficiency as far as Im concerned. Are the dynafits strong enough for a bit of speed on the piste?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freerides would be fine for normal skiing as they conform to alpine DIN standards so are as safe as any normal binding. Doubt you'd notice the difference in your skiing over a normal binding. I certainly can't. Never skied on dynafits but I believe that do release like normal bindings but do not conform to alpine DIN standards. Also if your heavy the DIN settings don't go very high 10/12 maybe.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dynafits now have a DIN to 12 version. they aren't quite as convenient as fritschis, but they ski and tour much better and are miles lighter
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
scottishskier wrote:
Freerides would be fine for normal skiing as they conform to alpine DIN standards so are as safe as any normal binding. Doubt you'd notice the difference in your skiing over a normal binding. I certainly can't. Never skied on dynafits but I believe that do release like normal bindings but do not conform to alpine DIN standards. Also if your heavy the DIN settings don't go very high 10/12 maybe.

When I've skied on Frtischis I've noticed them to be very different from pure alpine bindings in DIN calibration and also flex/ feeling of disconnection form ski. i know others don't find this so I think its another "one man's meat" type thing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, that's because they suck to ski on.

If you are happy to hire for true 'alpine' weeks get Dynafits, no question.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thighshocks, what level of performance are you looking for on piste? If it just cruising with the family, then I think you'd be fine with Fritschis. I've had them as the binding on my mountain skis for about 4 years, and never felt the need for any "normal" bindings for cruising, or even moderately aggressive piste skiing. But if you're going for genuine high performance then you'd want something stronger - but then the Scarpas wouldn't really be up to that either, and no you can't (in general) get a Vibram sole boot into a regular alpine binding. Having said I've used Fritschis for all my general purpose skiing, I would probably go for Dynafits next time around - although I'd need to change my touring boots as they don't have the Dynafit locator sockets, and revert to using touring boots for everything, which could be a downside as I certainly found I was overpowering my Denali TTs in normal skiing. The Dynafits do look a bit fiddly though taking them off and on if you're going to do a load of gondola lifts.

So I'd say, for general purpose skiing, use Scarpas and Fritschis for everything, or Dynafits if you're happy to put up with the fiddle of getting the things on and off. Dynafits have the advantage of lower weight, and may be stronger. Fritschis have the advantage of being able to take standard Alpine boots (which is what I wear for most of the time), which do offer higher performance if you like pushing it a bit off-piste. Forget hiring "downhill" stuff unless you want to race.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everybody. I'll look into the dynafits. Weight on the hoof is really important but I thought that maybe the dynafits weren't as safe as the fitschis for downhill type skiing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy