Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways to charge for carriage of sporting goods

Poster: A snowHead
If it stops the people who travel with BA making snide remarks about those cheapskates who prefer the low cost operators, then good. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob wrote:
pam w wrote:
also more reason to re-consider the advantages of owning your own skis.

Own skis v hire shop crap is a no brainer if you care about your skiing. Quality skis are usually in the demo fleet and don't come cheap so even at £50 return vs euro30 a day hire charge you are ahead provided you don't change your skis that often.

More reason to look at long term storage though - anyone want to invest in a consortium to buy a garage near GVA airport etc?

Thought about doing just that on a number of occasions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, that would have included me! Anyhow, I really couldn't give a hoot, the days of low cost travel are well and truly over and we'd all better get used to it. Doesn't matter how airlines decide to cut up the options to charge for their services, we're now going to pay proper money. In actual fact the kind of money being asked for now is no different to scheduled air fares going back 20 years. Heathrow-Munich on BA was always over £200, Geneva and flights into Italy much more. We paid it then (to avoid the chavs on the charters wink ) and we'll happily pay it now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could probably buy new skis every trip for the cost of premises near enough to Geneva airport, open and attended at all hours. An average of 49 weeks storage to pay, for every 3 weeks use? Laughing Storage with easy access, even in buildings on the cheapest corners of the cheapest trading estate, miles from anywhere, costs a packet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, Now the links dont work... (is that a Verve song? "...they just make you worse, but I know I'll see your face again") oops, sorry back on topic...

Slap me if I'm being more dense than usual but perhaps the 'Snow Train' and 'Eurostar Direct' are one and the same? (and I claim my £5)

I recall Masque or someone spec-ing prices for the EOSB and there was a €100 ish difference between the Snow Train and and the normal trains
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, snowtrain is overnight sleeper, Eurostar direct isn't . It may go overnight but doesn't have beds.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont I see... thanks.

VolklAttivaS5, I guess I was thinking of the diff between the 'specials' and the 'normals' being €100

I have added nothing to this thread... I withdraw chastened Embarassed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Easy way of making money for BA though, their ski carriage charges will be less than that of easyjet/Ryanair. So people will still use them as they're cheaper, guaranteed cash really!!! bit cheeky but makes sense (bad for us though Laughing )

I'd still choose easyjet over BA though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
pam w wrote:

Own skis v hire shop crap is a no brainer if you care about your skiing. Quality skis are usually in the demo fleet and don't come cheap so even at £50 return vs euro30 a day hire charge you are ahead provided you don't change your skis that often.

More reason to look at long term storage though - anyone want to invest in a consortium to buy a garage near GVA airport etc?

I leave my skis,etc in resort Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
You could probably buy new skis every trip for the cost of premises near enough to Geneva airport, open and attended at all hours. An average of 49 weeks storage to pay, for every 3 weeks use? Laughing Storage with easy access, even in buildings on the cheapest corners of the cheapest trading estate, miles from anywhere, costs a packet.

Precisely - my idea involved leasing a garage off a little old lady who'd given up her car, keeping a ski banger there plus kit. Still unrealistic I know but a fairly modest dream for those of us without a permanent alpine residence.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
pam w wrote:

Own skis v hire shop crap is a no brainer if you care about your skiing.

If you can ski it does not matter what planks you have. So many people blame the equipment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother wrote:
achilles, I will take that seriously when they start charging passengers by passenger weight. I don't believe £25 is the marginal cost of carrying skis for one second.

An ex boss of mine went on to be in charge of engineering for a small airline (it was taken over by BA, IIRC) which operated ATPs. Though they felt they had to accept skis, they strongly disliked them for the reasons I stated. BTW, a business that starts charging marginal costs, rather than costs and a profit margin, is going to have to increase costs elsewhere, or face a rocky future.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 27-09-08 9:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, it would be a lot easier to find something like that near Chambery airport - but there are fewer flights there. I suspect that any LOLs who live near Geneva airport would have a very shrewd idea of the value of their garages. wink . What you need to do is decide on a resort, then find an impoverished local resident or seasonaire who will stuff your skis in their storage and come and pick you up at Geneva for less than a taxi would charge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob,

might be better if we chip for an alpine residence...Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, thinking about it do you even need a garage? just get a minivan and park it within a short taxi ride of GVA airport. this is Switzerland, it's hardly going to get nicked Cool
snow report
stanton wrote:
fatbob wrote:
pam w wrote:

If you can ski it does not matter what planks you have. So many people blame the equipment.

May be true but do you ski on bottom of the range Dynastar Agylls, Salomon Verses etc out of choice?
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
stanton wrote:
fatbob wrote:
pam w wrote:

May be true but do you ski on bottom of the range Dynastar Agylls, Salomon Verses etc out of choice?

I ski on anything. I,ve never paid more than €100 for any pair of sticks be it bottom or top of the range.
Although I have a pair of sticks in Anton. I was using hire skis last season Fischer Progressor. http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/617/30/
The whole season cost me less than €100 Very Happy
ski holidays
How i hope Nevis Range has a great season as i for one am totally hacked off with the airports experience every where.
I will be quite happy playing in the back Corries all day long.

Rob
ski holidays
The news about BA intending to charge for carriage of sports goods may be a bit premature. If you look at the Daily Telegraoh link in this other thread, it seems they have no current plans to introduce charges. Quote:

"For a moment last week it seemed as though the advantages for skiers (and golfers) of flying with BA might be about to disappear. Willie Walsh, the airline’s chief executive, was quoted as saying that the policy of allowing passengers to carry sports equipment — including skis and golf clubs — without extra charges was “under review”. Faced with competition from no-frills airlines, which keep their headline fares low by adding extra charges for virtually every “service”, BA might have to follow suit and start charging, he suggested.

“If people pay £25 to check in their golf bags and skis with another airline and are surprised it’s free on BA, then perhaps it is something we too should be charging for. If it is not appreciated by customers, it should be reviewed,” he said.

I’m not sure he is right that this kind of service is not appreciated. I think customer response works the other way. We are deeply irritated by the number and type of extras added to base fares by airlines such as Ryanair and are often shocked by how much this increases the cost of flying with them.

When I double-checked the situation with BA this week, a spokesman for the airline said that such charges were always under review, but there were no plans at present to introduce them for sports equipment, checked baggage, check-in or assigned seats. As a result, BA tops my table of ski- and sports-friendly airlines this winter."
ski holidays
Forget British Airways- The last 3 times I have travelled with them they have lost my luggage. They found it and sent it to resort but I lost 3 days of skiing.

I also went to Cairo recently- they lost my luggage again. No compensation at all- they just are not interested. TERMINAL 5 IS NOT WORKING! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I think soon al airlines will have to charge out from the UK at least..isn't BA bringin this charge in because of the new health and safety rules that come in soon that means bags over a certain weight or size will have to be carried by 2 people so the handling costs go up.
snow report
papasmurf wrote:
I think soon al airlines will have to charge out from the UK at least..isn't BA bringin this charge in because of the new health and safety rules that come in soon that means bags over a certain weight or size will have to be carried by 2 people so the handling costs go up.

1. They aren't actually bringing in the charge.

2. Those H&S rules have been in place for a few years now, which is why they stick big "Heavy" stickers on anything over the single person lift weight.

3. Most sporting items such as skis etc don't go over the weight limits anyhow.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 6-10-08 15:50; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Yeah I was pretty unhappy about this new system they have intoduced. I remember they had a promotion going that if you fly with them you ski gear flys for free. It is annoying considering the amount of money people are paying for carrying their ski gear. £25for the marginal cost of skis is utter rubbish they don't weigh that much to start charging people. The problem is all these Green taxes Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (in addition to rising fuel prices) and of course they are passsed on to the consumer aka the skier who just wants a few days rest bite. It is disgraceful that they charge for this!!! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
alex_heney wrote:

2. Those H&S rules have been in place for a few years now, which is why they stick big "Heavy" stickers on anything over the single person lift weight.

3. Most sporting items such as skis etc don't go over the weight limits anyhow.

Yes but wasn't the previous heavy limit 32kg and shortly it will change to 25kg or around..

you've not weighed my ski bag or bike then Smile
snow conditions
snowguru, Welcome to snowHead

... all our snow 'gurus' seem to come from Scotland wink

papasmurf, snowguru, They havent introduced the charges ( afaik) , they are 'under review' . If you read what MoL's minnie-me ( Wally Walsh) said it was that they might as well consider introducing them as folks seem to neither know nor appreciate that skis( inter alia) - go - free. I guess the views expressed here make him correct ..shame Sad
ski holidays
their site says

Quote:
From November 2008, a flat fee of £25 GBP will be applied to bags weighing more than 23kg (51lbs). This charge is to cover the additional handling that bags weighing over 23kg (51lbs) can attract. Until this charge is implemented, we will continue to accept a single piece of baggage weighing up to 32kg (70lbs) without charge. Please note that we will not accept a bag heavier than 32kg (70lbs) as checked baggage.

but its very vague as to weather you ski carriage is free if its under 23kg
ski holidays
papasmurf,
Quote:
Sporting equipment we carry at no extra cost

.. you forgot this bit in BOLD immediately above the bit you quoted wink .. Howver I agree that (for European economy ) packing a ski bag with skis and boots and enough for a skis holiday just isnt practical .. but then again you can carry a lot in hand baggage ( as my Better Half frequently proves rolling eyes )
ski holidays
There are few flight providers left who do not charge for the carriage of sporting equipment. For skiers those of interest are BA, Swiss and Snowjet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powder Monkey, air canada
ski holidays
Has anyone queried this with BA recently? I have a few flights booked with them and have just seen the bit on their website referred to above that indicates they will bring in a charge from November 28th - but it's a bit ambiguous as to whether skis will be free until then or after then. Before I speak to BA it would be helpful to know if anyone's already had this battle with them. Thanks.
snow conditions
It's still included with BA. Let's not forget that the original article was based on a suggestion that it had been discussed, not that it had been decided upon.

The new policy (from this month) is simply a fixed fee for a piece of 'Heavy' baggage. It doesn't alter what you're allowed, just the maximum that a single piece can be.
snow conditions
Can someone give me a definitive answer.

If I fly with BA (Ams to LHR) .

One Checked Hold Bag (20Kg)
One Checked Pair of Skis.

Will I be charged for the skis if so how much ?
snow report
stanton, no, no charge for skis.
snow conditions
stanton, planning a trip to the Snowdome?
ski holidays
Arno, ha HA Laughing
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Can someone give me a definitive answer.

If I fly with BA (Ams to LHR) .

One Checked Hold Bag (20Kg)
One Checked Pair of Skis.

Will I be charged for the skis if so how much ?

The baggage allowance for BA European flights is one bag up to 23kg.

You won't get charged for skis as they don't charge for sporting equipment (I've just flown to/from Munich with a 17kg snowboard bag and had no issues). However you might get charged for (a) having 2 bags and/or (b) if bag + skis > 23kg.

If you are travelling to LHR for a BA long haul flight to North America, for example, I don't think you'll be charged.
ski holidays
stanton wrote,
Quote:

fatbob wrote:
stanton wrote:
fatbob wrote:
pam w wrote:

Knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing? Personally, I find that the planks on my feet make a huge difference to the smile on my face Laughing

I ski on anything. I,ve never paid more than €100 for any pair of sticks be it bottom or top of the range.
Although I have a pair of sticks in Anton. I was using hire skis last season Fischer Progressor. http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/617/30/
The whole season cost me less than €100
Personally, I find that the planks on my feet make a huge difference to the smile on my face!! Laughing
latest report
[quote="Lager"]
stanton wrote:

The baggage allowance for BA European flights is one bag up to 23kg.

You won't get charged for skis as they don't charge for sporting equipment (I've just flown to/from Munich with a 17kg snowboard bag and had no issues). However you might get charged for (a) having 2 bags and/or (b) if bag + skis > 23kg.

If you are travelling to LHR for a BA long haul flight to North America, for example, I don't think you'll be charged.

Thanks for the input but not really the answer Im looking for because of the "might get charged"

If I take a Ski (skis & poles) bag it weighs 8Kg approx

My baggage would be

One Checked Bag 20kg
One Checked Ski bag 8Kg

Im not connecting with BA but NWA. I asked KLM (as there part of same alliance) to waive there ski carriage charge but was denied.

If it Ski carriage works out more than 25% of the cost the flight. I'll find some planks at my destination Very Happy
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

Thanks for the input but not really the answer Im looking for because of the "might get charged"

If I take a Ski (skis & poles) bag it weighs 8Kg approx

My baggage would be

One Checked Bag 20kg
One Checked Ski bag 8Kg

Im not connecting with BA but NWA. I asked KLM (as there part of same alliance) to waive there ski carriage charge but was denied.

If it Ski carriage works out more than 25% of the cost the flight. I'll find some planks at my destination Very Happy

Might be best to give them a call and ask, as according to the baggage T&Cs:

Quote:

For example if you are travelling to a destination which involves British Airways and another airline (on a through ticket), we will respect the baggage policy of the other airline and the most generous allowance will apply.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy