Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which board for a teenage girl?

Poster: A snowHead
I am just about to buy a first snowboard for my 15 year old grandaughter.
She was with me for 2 weeks in colorado last year and by the end of the second week, she was riding blacks, jumping off kickers and even having a bash on the rails.

The question is - since she is heavy for her height (9st at 5ft 2in) should I buy a boys board?
The ladies boards I have been looking at, that are suitable for her weight, are all a bit long.
It seems that the concensus is - to go no longer than eye level in length.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Max13biker, with that bit of experience behing her she should have no problems on a "boys" board (actually there's no such thing they're either womans or anyones). In fact if she's putting more force through the board than the average girl the stiffer board may be more of an advantage. Length kind of depends what she'll mainly be using it for: shorter for tricks longer for freeride, you could always substitute extra width in place of length although this makes it a bit harder to turn (especially carving). I can't recommend any types though, you could ask Debbidoessnow she's about the same height or maybe a bit shorter Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

she should have no problems on a "boys" board
:
This is simply not true. Womens have smaller feet than men on the whole and therefore the boards they use are narrower as well as usually shorter and softer in flex. If the board is too wide she will have no leaverage on the board, therefore turning will be very hard if not impossible. Unless she has size 7 feet or over go for a girls specific board and 9stone is not heavy for a girl in general so you should be looking for a board of medium to stiff flex depending on where she sees her riding going - more freeride needs a stiffer board than a more freestyle orientated rider.

Most people want something to do everything on so a few suggestions would be:

Burton Blender - loved by every one that has ridden it so far
Burton Lux
Ride Fever - very good
Ride Solace - can be bought as a package for good money http://sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Snowboard_Package_Deals.html

As for Length, considering all factors I would say something in the 146-148cm range would be appropriate

Hope this helps. If she does have big feet let me know and i will re-advise
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sail and ski, with all due respect dangly bits.

If she's already doing rails she'll be putting more than enough force into the board to cope with a boys one and she's only going to get stronger. You can get boys boards where size 9 feet will overhang so I disagree there too, yes carving a wider board is harder but it'll never be impossible: the waist of my new board is over two inches wider than the previous one yet it can still be turned without any effort.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, OI!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DebbiDoesSnow, Laughing was wondering if you'd ever see that Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Max13biker, i am 5ft and ride 147 ladies board. i am also <cough> around that weight. I have considered going a bit longer in length for speed but for tricks, you wouldnt want longer than that anyway.

I would take your grandaughter to a snowdome for some tests if you can, only she will know what feels right for her, be it a 'boys' or a 'girls' board.

Also... you seem like a very nice grandad, would you like to be mine Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, it was pure chance my friend, pure chance .... I only delve in here once in a blue moon when things are a bit dry else where
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

You can get boys boards where size 9 feet will overhang so I disagree there too, yes carving a wider board is harder but it'll never be impossible

Swiry, with all due respect, think about things before getting on your high horse. How do you know she isn't a size 4-5 foot and then she would really stuggle wouldn't she. The average size of a girls foot in the UK is only a UK 6 and you don't wanna try riding a board with no overhang when you have done 2 weeks riding whether your doing well or not. Why do you think girl boards are made all the way up to the £400-500 mark. For girls that are srtong enough to need them but only have small feet!

Out of interest what size foot is she, Max13biker?

And if this is your opinion then why say this...

Quote:

you could always substitute extra width in place of length although this makes it a bit harder to turn (especially carving).

On the other hand if she is riding well and has a foot size of say, UK 7 and above then Swirly has a very good point and a blokes board would be absolutly fine
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

you don't wanna try riding a board with no overhang

Until you fall over on something steep and can't engage the edge because of the binding overhang and end up going a long way?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice guys and gals.

I decided to go for the "Ride Fever" at 150cm. I went to the "Ride" website and filled in all the details on their board finder, even exagerating her weight and height and this was one of the boards that they recommended. It seems to be just what she will need and even ticks the most important box - it looks cool.

I got a really good deal at Boardsonline

Next question - what do you think of Flow Minx step-in bindings - no more wet bums?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Max13biker, that is a VERY personal choice, you either love 'em or hate 'em !!!

Let the great Flow debate begin Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Max13biker, you need to ask her about bindings - if she uses straps and you give her Flows she will be unimpressed. If she does use strap-ins, Ride bindings are very good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Max13biker, great present! What kind of bindings were on the rental board, and how did she feel about them?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
What kind of bindings were on the rental board, and how did she feel about them?

She used strap bindings on the rental board - can't say I noticed what make.
I'm a skier and all this snowboard stuff is like mumbo-jumbo to me. Skullie
She did complain about her toes going numb though. Shocked

I've just ordered a pair of Burton Stiletto bindings for her - the Flow bindings didn't get much approval on another thread here.
Couldn't get any discount 'cos they're the latest 09 model.

snow conditions
Quote:
Firebug
great present!

It's been an expensive few months - buying a decent jacket and pants, then boots, a board and now bindings. Shocked

Feck me I almost forgot! I've booked a week in a chalet in Chamonix for March 2009.
It's a bug-ger having to pay for two - might have been better if she had hated the holiday last winter. Laughing
ski holidays
Max13biker, if she gets numb toes, then cap straps are the way to go, which most bindings have these days anyway.
Nice looking bindings !
ski holidays
Should be great though Smile I'm sure she'll love it, and they're good bindings.

http://www.powderroom.net/

is a good boarding site for girls with a nice forum, you might like to point her there...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy