Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

atomic nomads & M:B5s

Poster: A snowHead
had a look at the nomads in the shop today & have a few questions for anyone who has skiied them.. (they hadn't in the shop)

first, i'm comparing to Metron B5.. the bindings don't sit quite so high on the nomad range as on the B5.. does this mean it's a slightly inferior carving ski?

second - has anyone skiied the other skis in the range? The Blackeye & the Whiteout? If so how did they compare to the B5? I think the sidecut is the same as the B5 so apart from less weight to carry, any advantage/disadvantage over the B5?

i see Atomic have bought out a lighter version of the B5.. the B5 D i think..(?) anyone tried that?

goodness it's hard buying when you can't try!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
riverwhy, I thought that the Metron range is now dead? AFAIK Atomic's new line-up is Race, the new Drive piste ski range which are all 70mm skis, the Nomad's, their powder range & their park skis. I've not tried any of the Drive's so can't comment but they are designed as a piste ski.

I've skied both the Blackeye & Whiteout plus all the Metrons but are you comparing the Nomad's to the M:B5 or the M11B5? The M:B5 is a 11m radius ski & is stiffer & waay more burlier/turnier than the 15m radius M11B5. The M:B5's were also slightly shorter than the M11B5's ie 162 v 164cm.

Yes there's not quite the binding height on the Nomad v either B5 model which will give you less leverage but there's still more lift than on a flat mounted ski. The Nomad height is spot on for all it's all mountain design. You won't notice difference on the Nomad's & even the 86mm Crimson is still easy to get up on edge.

If you want a 50/50 all mountain ski then get a Ti Nomad ('cause the Ti's are the stiffest), either the Crimson or Blackeye depending on the width you want underfoot. If you're on piste a lot more than that go for a more piste specific ski & accept the off piste handicap.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers spyderjon.. i was comparing with the M:B5.. mine are 162

they had a lighter metron in the shop today, B5 D or something like that, might have been last year's though.

I'm still a little put off the crimson by the fact i'll be going back to longer skis (176) and have to source a new bag!! Confused
Just getting used to carting shorter skis around the airports, coaches etc & was enjoying it Madeye-Smiley

i'm told the crimson equivalent to the B5 162 is in 176.. is it the same with the Blackeye?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
riverwhy wrote:
.....i'm told the crimson equivalent to the B5 162 is in 176.. is it the same with the Blackeye?

I would have thought so.
Just buy some 176 Crimson Ti's & a new bag - you know you want to wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have no idea what spyderjon just said. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
for anyone interested (& i know there is at least one! wink )....

i just spoke to Atomic (at last..) Their views on M:B5 v nomad crimson & blackeye...

for skiier around 5-8 - 6ft & 12 - 13 stone

first - length- B5 162 = 171 ti in both nomads though you can go longer.. & you might just get away with 164 nomad ti on piste (but i guess you wouldn't want to do that with the crimson).
B5 162 = 176 crimson (non-ti) - though you can probably ski both crimson & blackeye in 171

performance:

the nomads have a turn radius around 17m, so they are not going to be so nippy in the turns as the 11m B5...

obviously off-piste the crimson will be better as it's wider under foot. But Atomics view is that the blackeye is as good on-piste as the B5, but better off-piste. And of course, a lot lighter.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I purchased the nomad crimson's real cheap from here http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=kategorie&kat_id=40&art1=70005109 on recommendation of someone on this board, but i havn't yet had the chance to ski them, not available in 171, but you can get em in 169 or 176.
From what i have read i would recomend the nomad over the B5, you will have more options as to zhere you want to ski on what everyone seems to agree is a great ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
which bindings did you choose Stevvo - they don't appear to list Neox - are you in the UK (if so what was delivery cost?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just looked at Atomic's website and I find it useless when trying to decide which ski is for whom, within the freeride group. They have nine or ten, all looking the same , all lovely, and all, they say, brilliant. No mention of price, as a guide to quality, nor any mention of what each is best for, nor any way to view the whole range in overview, without checking out each individually and forgetting one whilst viewing the next.

Doubtless, spyderjon, this is to encourage us to visit our dealer to get the lowdown, but , even as an Atomic regular, it puts me off them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Farley Goode, Agreed, although you can say the same for many of the leading manufacturers websites.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my nomad blackeyes arrived today - after speaking to atomic i went for the 171 (& they fit in my bag spyderjon.. just Smile ). Got a great deal at snowtrax - £275 inc neox bindings & post free if you are willing to take a risk on insurance, £9.95 by courier otherwise..
They are quite a bit lower underfoot than the B5 - i just hope this won't affect my carving.. i wonder why atomic have done that??

i don't think i'm going to be able to resist going up to MK to try both them & my B5s so i should get a reasonable comparison. Should that happen i will let you know..

one thing - i thought the blackeyes were black.. they look black on the pics i've seen - in fact they are deep purple..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
riverwhy wrote:
my nomad blackeyes arrived today - after speaking to atomic i went for the 171 (& they fit in my bag spyderjon.. just Smile ). Got a great deal at snowtrax - £275 inc neox bindings & post free if you are willing to take a risk on insurance, £9.95 by courier otherwise....

riverwhy, thanks for the snowtrax tip off - I bought a pair of Whiteouts from them for £239 on Sat for a customer & they arrived this morning.

riverwhy wrote:
.....They are quite a bit lower underfoot than the B5 - i just hope this won't affect my carving.. i wonder why atomic have done that??....

riverwhy, lift for piste/carving skis & flat mount for powder - & something in between for all mountain skis like the Blackeye.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and for bumps? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverwhy wrote:
and for bumps? wink

Blades, they're the future Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Woohooo, my first post here Very Happy

Anyway, I'm after some of these Nomad Blackeyes but I can't make my mind up on what length to get as I haven't bought a new pair of skis for years now, currently on X-scream 9's at 174cm. I'm an advanced skier, 80kg, 173cm's tall and am probably 70/30 piste/off-piste minded. The choice of lengths are 164 or 171cm!?

Also if anyone has any other recommendations for an all mountain ski, I'm open to suggestions.
snow report
colled, welcome to snowHeads.

Definately the 171's. I'd recommend going for the slightly wider Nomad Crimson's (the current non Ti version) in 176 - no downside on piste but a lot more float & stability off piste.
ski holidays
Cheers spyderjon, I see you've skied both so what's the edge to edge like on the crimsons then? I was worried they might be a bit slow to transition as I like to rip it up on piste as well!
snow report
colled wrote:
Cheers spyderjon, I see you've skied both so what's the edge to edge like on the crimsons then? I was worried they might be a bit slow to transition as I like to rip it up on piste as well!

The Crimson ain't no 68mm slalom ski but was fast enough edge to edge for me. In dims it's only a tad wider than the old Metron M:EX but unlike that ski it's very light for it's size with a low swing weight so you can really chuck it about, but it has all the torsional stiffness of the M:EX. Just shows how technology has moved on in just a few years.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy