Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for first time at Milton Keynes Snozone

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have just returned from MK and can only say that I am well and truly hooked! Damn Toofy Grin

Did the eight-hour course and managed to maintain a semblance of dignity for most of the time. Heh.
Had one incident, at the start, of face-ploughing down the run, skis in the air (oh the shame) and one particularly funny incident when the poma slipped from between my legs and I was dragged for a few metres, hanging on with my hands (couldn't pull myself back up because my danged gloves had no grip). Also twisted a knee slightly when I hit an icy patch on the longer run and did a spectacular sliding thing rolling eyes

Overall, though, I think I did pretty well but had to finish 45 minutes early because the danged knee was stiffening up and began to give out on turns. But I got my level 4 so am rather pleased.

And am happy to report that due to all your sage advice, I had the clothing thing spot on! Wore only Skins under the salopettes (last-minute purchase last night - and let me tell you, the things really worked. Didn't feel any burning in my muscles until about the sixth hour, and even then only a slight burn), thin Icebreaker T-shirt under the jacket, and a pair of light-weight Thinsulate gloves. The only thing that got cold was my face - it was numb for most of the day.

My new boots were great - may need a tiny tweak to the one boot but apart from that one thing I didn't notice I was wearing them by midway through the day. Will take this opportunity to thank Jimmy at Profeet for his excellent bootfitting job (and trust me, I think he faced a real challenge as I am very hypermobile)!

maggi I ended up feeding £5 into that locker and ruefully thought of your post each time.
youspurs1 I didn't want to spent too much on gloves today as I have my eye on a pair of gloves, which will be duly purchased.

Right, I'm off to put a bag of frozen peas on my knee (no ice in my freezer, can you believe) and dream about getting better and faster on snow-covered mountains.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zero-G, bad news about the knee...hope it is just a tweak. 8 hours..? Shocked

You'll be making holiday plans here now..Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 27-09-08 7:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, I don't think it's bad news because it is just a small thing: left boot is tighter around the heel than the right boot, which I didn't notice during the fitting. There is a good chance it's down to user error rather than anything wrong with the boots, such as me not getting the buckle tension right - could that affect the heel? Will wear them for a bit tomorrow to see if I should rule out the buckle tension. Of course, I'm just looking for an excuse to wear the boots Laughing

Aye, 8 hours. I know! Strictly speaking, it was less because of the knee thing and lunch/hot chocolate breaks. It was a great day!

Already have a two-week holiday planned for Saalbach over New year. And am mulling over another four-week holiday in Mar/Apr, location still to be decided. But that one will be part skiing, part mountaineering and part photography trip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome new skier. Once you get to the mountains you will be really pleased you learned a bit already. You will go (almost) straight up the mountains instead of p*ssing about for several days on the nursery slopes at the bottom. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zero-G, sorry, typo...I meant bad news about the knee..

Anyway, it all sounds like you have things up and running... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well done. Your good muscle tone in the legs was probably more important than the Skins!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball wrote:
... You will go (almost) straight up the mountains instead of p*ssing about for several days on the nursery slopes at the bottom. Very Happy
And will probably go straight down again, face-ploughing! Laughing However, I do intend to do some regular sessions at MK between now and my holiday.

JT wrote:
Zero-G, sorry, typo...I meant bad news about the knee...
Happy to report no lasting pain or swelling in the knee. All feels fine, though will wait a further week before heading back to MK, just in case.

pam w wrote:
Well done. Your good muscle tone in the legs was probably more important than the Skins!
Upper legs (quads, adductors, hams and glutes) are absolutely fine even though the quads were the ones burning slightly at the end of the day. Have spent a lot of time at pilates strengthening my legs to make them fit for fencing.
Lower legs, on the other hand, are a stiff today! Not my calves, those are fine. It's the soleus and peroneus longus muscles that feel like they've been shrunk Shocked Went to pilates yesterday and instructor has duly noted that we have a fair bit of work to do on these to strengthen them.

Chasseur wrote:
Zero-G, have a great time, but remember, if someone shouts "fleche", it has nothing to do with an aggressive charge towards another skier with your ski pole held out in front of you Shocked .....it's a sort of giant slalom race..... wink
That said, you skills may come in handy for any boarders that get in the way..... Toofy Grin
We didn't get to use poles *sulk* but I now see what you all mean about snowboarders sitting down all the time. There was a group doing a full-day course. Every time I looked, there was a line of boarders up-slope, bottoms planted firmly in the snow, boards to the front. They looked like little go-carters, all they were missing were steering wheels!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy