Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Shorter Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Out of curiosity what are the disadvantages of skiing on a ski that is shorter than the reccomended for your height/weight/level etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The "Uncool Factor" of skiing on a ski thats too short.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reduced edge grip and oscillation at speed with the ski flat are the biggest problems I've found. Also lack of steeze.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No stability and a complete fallacy that it will be easier to turn?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on what you mean by short. I regularly ski on slalom skis at 167cm. No flapping, no stability issues, completely rock solid, awesome fun on piste in most conditions. I do think for me these style of skis do engage the rider, they can kick you out of the turns if you aren’t ready for it. Keep ‘em on edge most the time but even running flat isn’t an issue. Occasionally when I’ve a real buzz for speed I wish I was on longer skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a complete fallacy that it will be easier to turn

parlor, I'm curious, do you find that to be the case? if you look at most skis the longest one in the models range of lengths will be stiffer and have a much bigger sidecut radius compared to the shortest version.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

a complete fallacy that it will be easier to turn

if you look at most skis the longest one in the models range of lengths will be stiffer and have a much bigger sidecut radius compared to the shortest version.

Don't forget the question:

Quote:
is shorter than the reccomended for your height/weight/level etc?

For all the "shorter is easier" buyer knows, that recommendation exists because the models below a given length are not stiff enough and bow out into a U near the binding while the tips and tails are barely pressured.

Welcome to instant skidville as you try to make a turn longer than the published radius of a hockey skate.

Oh, and if the snow happens to be wet or soft at all, you've just robbed yourself of the speed necessary to make the turn and the ski stalls, even if you are Wayne Gretzky.

Oh, and if the snow happens to be hardpack at all, you've just thown away the longitudinal stiffness needed to pressure the tips, so the bits next to the bindings get overloaded in torsion. Fan tan stick.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 24-09-08 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, fair enough but what is the "recommended" length for any ski, I dont think there is one and it depends who you talk too....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is quite interesting, especially for me at the moment. When i got my new skis, i got them slightly shorter than my old ones as i felt that i could do with a wee bit of help when skiing really steep stuff.

Next to each other though, i find that there's actually not that much perceived difference. Most of the difference in length seems to be taken out of the back of the skis.

Will i really notice a 4cm difference when skiing them?

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, don't make me pull out the tables again. wink

Seriously, though, I submit to you that there is a very definite weight and size and ability recommendation for at least one size in just about any ski model.

The fact that the other sizes to that model may be extrapolated based on designers' preconceptions is the other side of the black art CEM quotes in the booty threads:

CEM wrote:

at the end of the day it is a personal choice, all the fitter can do is guide the client to the best of their knowledge it is the knowledge that is important not the location... most of the initial fit of the world cup boots is done by a fitter in the factory before the skier even sees the boot... it is based on records rather than just guess work BTW

ski boot fitting is a mix of art and science.. the thing is none of us really know how much of each it really is Toofy Grin

Do you trust the unseen ski designer as much as you trust the unseen boot fitter?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly, I love your screwdriver. No is the answer to the question. Steep? Give me long.

skimottaret, we'd also have to define "turn". I try not to make too many so perhaps I'm not in the best place to comment Wink

I stand by comprex post. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly wrote:

Will i really notice a 4cm difference when skiing them?

Will you notice a difference? I hope so, or its money ill spent.

Will the difference be good or bad? You get to tell us.

Will the difference be only due to the length difference? No.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try a differnet one on each foot.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oi, that screwdriver is a quality piece of kit. It has lots of different fittings stored in the handle and cost about £2 out of the homebase bargain bin about 10 years ago! Very Happy

I'm amazed at how passionate people are over the length of skis. As long as you're having fun on them, they're long enough Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beequin, I like the way you think.

shoogly wrote:

I'm amazed at how passionate people are over the length of skis. As long as you're having fun on them, they're long enough Very Happy

True. Unfortunately I've met a few too many who were absolutely miserable.

"My friend skis 170s and I'm the same size as him, why won't these 150 cm skis turn on ice?"

Ans: coz they're meant for 14 year old girls and you're 220lbs.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 24-09-08 16:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
parlor, you do seem to ski at mach 10 judging by the stoke pictures so i can see you point of view Toofy Grin

comprex, I have never seen a manufacturers chart or tabluar recommendation of the correct length for a particular model depending on skiers weight height etc. or is it a case of fat tall guys should get the longest on offer and little ones the shortest in a range.... or if you are parlor bolt on another 20 cms Laughing
latest report
skimottaret, search on this forum for 'Metron' and 'sizing guide'.
ski holidays
Mmm..I'm 5'5" and 9st. I ski 154cm Volkl Arenas - 100-69-115 an on-piste adv. ski. I was given these in Lech as being the right size for me. I skied last season with them and they are brilliant. They are fabulous at all turn shapes and have excellent edge hold and very good over moguls. Off piste - I think they would have been better if longer, and on straight runs they were a tad unstable. I wish I'd just tried the next size up.
Should I keep these and buy an off-piste ski as well, or should I trade them in for a longer, marginally fatter model? Mostly I stay on piste but am getting better off piste.
snow report
erica2004, keep those and get something a little longer, wider and straighter (ie less sidecut) for off piste. Make sure they match your hot new outfit. Wink
snow report
parlor, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
beequin wrote:
Try a differnet one on each foot.

I did that on an instructor course. Did a few runs with a blade on one foot & a 5star on the other, then swapped around. Felt a bit weird for the first few turns & then after that no difference.
ski holidays
The_Hirsty, My hubby swopped his “recommended” length skis (hired from various rental outlets over the years) due to a knee injury, he wanted something shorter, as suggested by a Physio, so he bought a ski/blade hybrid - Atomic 120’s and never looked back - yes they are easy turn wink less pressure on the knees, so he has less knee pain. The skis never wobble, chatter, slip or skid, and they have been used in most conditions now (other than off piste, so can’t comment on that) but they have extended his skiing years, and last year, 2 other men in our party bought the same ones, as they had hired them and loved them so much. But we are a bunch of rather sedate, mature skiers, just looking to enjoy the runs, not get down them as fast as possible, or clock up the miles! Smile
snow report
Short skis SUCK, end off, unless you are a beginner and have poor fitting boots and refuse to pay for someone to help you learn to ski on proper skis. Unless i've mis-read the marketing and development briefs of the manufacturers.
snow conditions
sharon1953, glad you're having fun. That's what the sport is all about.

Comparing apples and oranges, however. You see, the Atomic 120 is a design that is optimised for hubby at 120cm. That IS his recommended ski length in that model.

If he'd wanted an 80cm version the ski would have to be of a design different than the Atomic 120, he couldn't just buy the same design ski in 80cm and expect it to work.
snow conditions
The shorter the ski, the greater the control.

It's why most skis have gotten shorter over the past decade.
snow report
Whitegold, hmmmm... deep snow, fast line, short ski, no chance
ski holidays
JT, For massmarket skiers (i.e. most) who rarely go fast or deep, short skis offer superior control to long ones.
snow report
define your terms: superior what control?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do I detect a trend towards longer skis again??? Are we heading for more 203-215cm willy-waving?

Emperor's new clothes?

Surely the skills of the bloke on the planks is more important?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 25-09-08 20:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Whitegold, You know Shite. Let's just wax our boot soles and go for 'Whitegold' i say.
snow conditions
I suck on 170+, I suck marginally less on 180+, I'd almost certainly rule on 190+ (though about 6 years back at the height of the short ski thing I did try a set of Rossi bandit something or others in about a 194 which all went brilliantly until I tried to land a teeny air asswards - flat tails, boo)

At the end of he day though, it's all about enjoying the mountain. If you want to enjoy the mountain on the alpine equivalent of a smart car, that's no skin off my nose wink
snow report
Cunners, You are too polite.
snow report
Whitegold, But I am giving you an instance where I don't believe short is best...certainly not helpful. I am not talking about straight-lining 35 degrees....just that you have discovered a nice little stash..you are bored with s's and you want to go fast because you think you can handle that pitch
Now, you only ski what you can ski....but the tendency to go faster, straighter, if you so desire, needs a more stable platform... it's all comes down to inches.

Now, if you are so determined to ski short, then ok, have fun, but then don't complain when the ski doesn't help.

I've been over the tips of a few skis that were too short....and I agree you can be between lenghts... ie, too long, too much of a handful, but I'd also argue the other way..too short and you don't give the ski a chance.

General benchmark... IMV, 6ft, skied a bit, you need 180 plus...unless you are on a Race SL..in which case you better be able to handle one.
snow conditions
JT wrote:
...unless you are on a Race SL..in which case you better be able to handle one.

Big grin factor if you can. Nothing wrong with a pair of short skis in the right conditions.
snow report
Great picture... I can imagine long, happy evenings at shoogly hall.... waxing, polishing, adjust those DIN settings, sharpening, stroking, maybe even a little talking - am i right? Have you named all 4 yet?

I can add nothing to the Size debate, but am I the only one who is very jealous that you have 4 skis, even if they are on the stubby side?
snow report
I got hold of (download from somwhere) the salomon 06/07 workshop manual a while back, and I recently rediscovered it on one of my computers.

It has recommended length tables for each ski graded by user data.

Personally, I like anything over 175 - which is my height (OK, I am a bit stubby) and prefer longer. Last march, because of my recent knee op, I bimbled about on some 140s on piste - no problem with stability but i wasnt going terriably fast due to having a 1 weeker in my wake Smile They certainly carved very tight loops across the narrow paths - about 180degree and edge to edge.
latest report
c0wdoo.

Shorter does not mean easier to "turn" or "control". Just easier to change direction. Woo-hooo. Take up snowboarding if that floats your boat. The poster was asking about turning. Short skis don't make it easier to turn, just easier to change direction.
snow report
I can't believe that bu11sh!t becomes c0wdoo.
snow conditions
I've skied on Metron B5's in 152, no stability problems even at mega speed, equally, skied Crimson's in 169, great ski again bullet proof performance, ski what you're comfortable on, ignore the manufacturers latest trends, it's just to get us to fork out more cash!
snow report
parlor, It may seem that way to you, not to me, so you own your stuff and let others own theirs! If you turn to change direction, and don't jump in the air from one edge to the other, then it stands to reason that if changing direction is achieved through turning (carving) and that feels easier - "turning is easier", changing the words doesn't change the outcome wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy