Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me decide between 170 and 176 length

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've posted last year on a similar topic but never bought in the end and would appreciate (helpful wink) comments again.

Looking at an all mountain ski with a something like a 60-70/30-40 or piste/off piste ratio. I'm 6' (~183cm) and about 75kg and an advanced intermediate. I like to ski fairly fast and do enjoying carving.

My dilemma is that last year I skied on Rossignol Z9's in a 170cm and they were great but I'm worried that buying a 170cm length now, may not prove to be the best choice long term, if I improve further. Am I just worrying or should I consider the 176cm length instead, or does 6cm really matter ?? I don't really want to wait until my holiday to demo again, as I can get a better price here in the UK.

I like the Z9's but would consider Fischer AMC 76's as well. I haven't tried the Fischer's but they are a better price and have better bindings compared to the Z9's.

FYI, 170cm is nose height on me, whereas 176cm is eyebrow height.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
176cm minimum, I gather you are on groomers most of the time and at speed 170 will be very short.

I think short was a fad over the last 5 years and as I have become better the dependence on short skis has become less. I can understand the need in tight couloirs etc but in general I think what you gain in turning by shortening you compromise in speed and stability on the downhill.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon, I'm your height but 20kg heavier Embarassed and ski the AMC76 in 176cm. They are a great ski, very agile and fantastic fun for high speed on piste carving.

Got mine from Ski Bilek for about £180 delivered to the UK so check out their prices if you havent already!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C, I suppose I may put on weight as I get older, although I am 40 now !!

plectrum, yes, mostly on groomers but am I right in thinking that the 176 length would be better for off piste as well ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon, if you like off piste skiing and see your self doing more and more of that the longer one would be a better choice. 176 isnt particularily long so should be great on piste as well. I ordered some 177's for similar type of skiing and i am 6 4 and fatter than you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm shorter than you and ski a 179 normally, and have just bought some Movement Climax in 183. So I reckon 170 is a bit short.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go big or go home Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought snowblades were making a come back?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cunners, parlor, I can almost hear you both thinking "big girls blouse" rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
plectrum, I didn't notice any stability issues on my 166's slalom racers

As for the desire for a 60-40 on-offpiste ski, the z9 is quite narrow in my book, more a 80-20 allround ski instead of a 60-40 allmountain.

Think stuff like the suggested Movement climax (Movement claim that to be a "telemark" ski ?) or Movment spark and the likes in 180ish.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just like Roger C, i'm similar height but 20kgs more. I've a fat pair of powder skis at 176cm and 167cm slalom skis. The biggest factor for off piste is the width under your foot. Unless you like flying around piste then 170 should be good, off piste then 176 is going to give more surface area which will help in crud, powder etc but depnding on ability longer skis are a tad more difficult to handle. Given you've already tried the 170s and liked them that may be the best choice. I don't think there's much in it. Best option is 2 sets of skis!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos, thanks. Unfortunately 2 pairs of skis and the wife's demands are not compatible !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
173cm gets my vote Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pokemon, seriously though, I think, if you are a good carver and like a bit of speed, the only place the shorter ones will be better is in a big bump type of mogul field, where you get a bit of help from the slightly quicker steering ability. Otherwise it's 176 all the way !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ronald,

Yep a tele ski. A pair are sitting on the floor of my front room at the moment. Unfortunatley telemark pyrenees forgot to mount the bindings on the riser plates, so I'll have to remove them and do that myself Sad
ski holidays
Ronald wrote:
plectrum, I didn't notice any stability issues on my 166's slalom racers

Ronald .... but just look at who the competition was! Wink
snow report
pokemon,

XL in 174
snow conditions
I usually carry a pair of 170s in my rucksack in case I damage one of my real skis. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy