Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the possibility of a trip to Morzine in March and wondered roughly how long to expect the drive to take. The route planner in the link suggest 690 miles in 19 hours 29 mins! Which strikes me as on the long side.

It takes an hour and a half to Eurotunnel and then an hour to get on/off give or take, so need roughly the journey time from Calais. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ViaMichelin says 877km in 7hrs55, and just under 60Euro in tolls.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mark, depends which way you travel, if you follow the autoroute via Dijon to Geneva, you have about 820Kms of auotroute which is less than 7 hrs without exceeding the speed limit, that leaves about 50 kms on N roads, so about 9 hrs including stops. The shortest route is via Lange, Bresancon, Pontarlier, north of Lac Leman, Monthey, Morgins and Chatel, Morzine is about an hour from Chatel. Do make sure you've got your vignette if you go that route.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which way would you go David? To be honest, the only way Annie will drive on the continent is if we're on an Autoroute, so I expect that'll be the choice. Thanks to you and Andy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mark, John and I have driven to Morzine and Les Gets for years. We've always done it in 8 hours from Calais, taking it in turns to drive for 2-3 hours each and only stopping for fuel/coffee. We always go on the autoroute via Reims, Troyes, Geneva, then head to Cluses and take the D902 through Taninges and Les Gets and on to Morzine. The D902 is a lovely road that winds through the valley and then up the mountains and saves you a bit on tolls, but is much better than the autoroute for the last bit of driving. (I'm jealous by the way, this is the first year for ages that we won't be going to Morzine for a quick ski - it's one of my favourite places. It's lovely in the summer too.)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mark, the route I would use is to leave the autoroute at Lange, go via Gray, Besancon and Pontarlier, cross into Switzerland, take the autoroute north of Lac Leman, past Lausanne to Monthey, then Morgins and Chatel. It's the shortest distance, only 506 miles from Calais to Chatel. You miss out a lot of the autoroute, the roads are good and times would be very similar to using the autoroute the entire way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax, are you seriously suggesting a route to Morzine via Chatel and backroads of Switzerland? Morzine's a very short distance from the French Autoroute and that's the way most people drive because it's several hours quicker and much, much easier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers RachelQ, like the sound of the last bit through the mountains.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, yes, I've used that route lots of times, it's autoroute to Monthey and the last bit of the drive up through Morgins and Chatel is very easy and scenic. It's also the the most direct route from the Channel to most ski resorts, I've also used that route to Verbier and Chamonix. IMO it is as quick as the autoroutes and you can stop for lunch or dinner at proper restuarants, if you have the time. So which are the back roads then?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, I live near Lausanne and there's no way I'd go to Morzine via Chatel nor would anyone else who lives here.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy