Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Germany into Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have rented an apartment in Saalbach in January and will be flying to Munich and hiring a car.

When I flew to Salzburg this year, the car already came with winter tyres as standard and I'm sure that we had a pass for driving on the Austrian motorways attached to the windscreen.

Can anyone tell me if I need to make a special request for winter tyres (or snowchains) when hiring the car from Munich and how I go about buying the motorway pass (if I need one).

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think this topic came up a few months back.

If the rental car doesn't have the Toll Sticker, you can buy one from the Autobahn services between Munich and the border. edit: I think it's valid for 10 days, you tell them the first day you need it and they clip it accordingly. Forget how much it costs.

German rental car should have "Winter" tyres (M+S I think). Chains are probably an optional extra on request.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-09-08 14:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SCollier1, the motorway pass can be bought at motorway services in Germany near the border; the turn off sign for the services has the Austrian eagle attached to it, very picturesque. I believe that you will need one; apparently the police don't check from the German border down to Kufstein Sud (you'll be on a different motorway) but elsewhere on the motorway network they do, although I have no idea how vigourously. They only cost a few euros for 10 days.

IME, you'll need to ask for chains, don't know about snow tyres.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCollier1 wrote:
We have rented an apartment in Saalbach in January and will be flying to Munich and hiring a car.

When I flew to Salzburg this year, the car already came with winter tyres as standard and I'm sure that we had a pass for driving on the Austrian motorways attached to the windscreen.

Can anyone tell me if I need to make a special request for winter tyres (or snowchains) when hiring the car from Munich and how I go about buying the motorway pass (if I need one).

Thanks

In the Winter , rental cars in Munich are equipped with Winter Tyres. You will not need snow chains for the drive to Saalbach.

You can buy the vignette (austrian motorway pass) at the border but I would avoid this as everyone is there doing the same thing.
You can buy from German Gas stations before the border. If your a member of autoclub organisation you can buy online.

Tip. If you are going for two week vacation it is cheaper to buy two "ten day" passes rather than the "two month" pass.

http://www.vignette.at/index.php?idtopic=504
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi

I drove from Germany through Austria in the summer and the vignette cost 9.50 Euros for 10 days and you can pretty much stop at any petrol station before the border to get it. You may also have to pay "tunnel fees" on top of this though, which can be another 9.50 euros each, but this depends on the route you take.

I wouldn't risk not buying it coz they are fairly strict with controls and if you're caught without one it's around a 300 euros fine
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sar_m wrote:
Hi,I wouldn't risk not buying it coz they are fairly strict with controls and if you're caught without one it's around a 300 euros fine

There is a reason why the vignette has to be placed in the correct part of the windscreen. Automatic camera detection equipment is on the Austrain Autobahns that can read the vignette & licence plate. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
take this route

it's the route the local Saalbach taxi transfers to Munich Airport use, it uses german motorways and austrian local roads so you don't need a vignette, waste of money unless you'll be using the motorways while you're there

good luck and enjoy your holiday snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlpineWalker,

I wish I knew that route back in Feb before it took me 4 hours getting to Saalbach then 5 hours on return journeythe following week!!!! Evil or Very Mad

jow
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy