Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

kjus ?

Poster: A snowHead
PhillipStanton, so just to clarify then.....you weren't impressed? Laughing wink

Out of interest, what was it that made it shite/why was it shite?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, crikey - I'm surprised! Are you sure it was a genuine Kjus? Which sale was it in? What didn't you like about it?

VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Ise might have a Prada outfit somewhere for those special occasions.

Laughing Laughing I think you should ask him Madeye-Smiley

And I knew I should have deleted that comment about the Killy jacket...... Toofy Grin

Another previous thread discussing them http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=827163&highlight=kjus#827163
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like a jacket that's really breathable. My current kit is by 'Phenix' but I never see it anywhere or I would buy the same make again. I bought it in Saas Fee a good few years ago.
I'm not sure about soft shells as I think I would be too cold. On (say) minus 10 degrees days I wear a base layer, a fleece and then my jacket. How do you stay warm enough in a soft shell?
Frosty, We had a good time in Morzine - the hotel didn't spoil our holiday!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004 wrote:
I like a jacket that's really breathable. My current kit is by 'Phenix' but I never see it anywhere or I would buy the same make again. I bought it in Saas Fee a good few years ago.
I'm not sure about soft shells as I think I would be too cold. On (say) minus 10 degrees days I wear a base layer, a fleece and then my jacket. How do you stay warm enough in a soft shell?
[

The same way, I was also concerned about this, see this thread for lots of info!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=928414&highlight=softshells#928414

Cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a Kjus jacket and trousers. It's really excellent quality stuff, and I'd highly recommend it, if you want to spend the money. To me, it seems as if they've spent a lot of time getting the details right.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy,
Quote:

I think you should ask him

Laughing Hmmm, I don't think I'll bother! Laughing I know who he is actually because I came across him by chance on another forum J2Ski a long while ago now when I was musing it briefly, before I joined Snowheads. As I recall I asked him about avy gear and he was most helpful with regards to that and wrote me quite a comprehensive reply.
Quote:

And I knew I should have deleted that comment about the Killy jacket......

Well.......er.....at least you got some money back for it off Ebay. Laughing

I don't know if this is right or not, but I'm sure most of the popular brands will have somebody somewhere who has had the odd bad experience thrown in, perhaps PhillipStanton had a "Friday afternoon" jacket with his Kjus this time. I haven't heard anything bad about Arcteryx or TNF though but then again I haven't had a look or intentionally tried to find out, having had a good experience myself then I'm happy enough I guess.

It will be interesting to find out what exactly the problem was with it since Kramer has had such a positive experience with his set.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, yes that thread you linked you was a good 'un! Loads of info there about what people wear under their shells. I had a muse of that one myself as I recall. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is an interesting link about waterproof fabrics
http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr1285.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Out of interest, what was it that made it shite/why was it shite?

To be fair, the trousers have been fine.

The waterproof zip on the jacket, though, has been far from...well...waterproof...

Arcteryx. Bomber.

erica2004 - I now have an Arcteryx Stingray softshell. Very toasty.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004, I have a friend who skis in Kjus. She looks very very very hot in it. Criminally.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, Laughing Laughing

Personally, with my very limited experience and knowledge, I don't think you can compare Arcteryx with TNF. I think TNF have moved away from their technical roots to much more of a high-street brand with Arcteryx remaining top quality.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I haven't heard anything bad about ... TNF

I have a TNF tent, I bought it to go climbing in Italy, it leaked very badly in fact the whole fly sheet was defective. We lived in it for five weeks with no chance of replacement. It cost me £200 for the tent plus a new phone and almost £200 of cash/ travellers cheques and a passport. Based on that I stay away, although I still have the tent and once it got a replacement fly (took over a month) it's been fine.

Quote:

I think TNF have moved away from their technical roots to much more of a high-street brand with Arcteryx remaining top quality.

I agree.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, I'm putting in my order right away. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, Laughing Laughing

Personally, with my very limited experience and knowledge, I don't think you can compare Arcteryx with TNF. I think TNF have moved away from their technical roots to much more of a high-street brand with Arcteryx remaining top quality.

Yeah probably. I wasn't really comparing the two brands because I know Arcteryx is the better and the more expensive of the two. Just that I hadn't heard anything bad about either brand up to now. I do think with TNF stuff it depends on what you buy because they sell ski jackets for £100-£200 and they sell ski jackets for £300-£400 like the one I've got, so there must be a difference in build quality or something for there to be a difference otherwise why the difference in price.

They do have a high street following more so now I agree but also they do still do the mountaineering jackets and pants and so on. As I say I have to admit my Freethinker Jacket and Pants is the best stuff I've ever had for toughness, waterproofness and breathability so I can only go on that really, I don't have everything from their range so don't know how the other stuff compares. I've worn the Freethinker pants for quite a few weeks on snow now and no problems, the jacket less so, so I'll no more how that fares in a while.

I normally have a look on www.backcountry.com for reviews before I buy anything because they have loads of personal reviews on there which is very handy.

I think the Freethinker stuff had a few good reviews from some Snowheads that had it too as I recall.

Also, a while back now when BASI had THF equipment offer on, I've seen a fair few Trainers/ISTDs wearing same jacket and pants as me, and they are out in the mountains all season usually so it must be pretty good if they have got it (although admittedly it would have been because there was an offer on it at the time wink ) I spoke to one recently who said he had found his jacket to be really good so that was good to know since I'd just bought one.

I think erica2004 should opt for Arcteryx because no one seems to have anything bad to say about their stuff. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I think erica2004 should opt for Arcteryx because no one seems to have anything bad to say about their stuff. Very Happy

It's expensive. That can't be a good thing.
latest report
My Arc'teryx climbing trousers cost me a tenner. Gutted I didn't buy 5 pairs.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

It's expensive. That can't be a good thing.

I mean about the quality, waterproofness breathability and that sort of thing. Excluding price, you weren't happy with your Kjus wear, Swirly wasn't happy with his TNF tent but no one has said anything about not liking their Arcteryx stuff yet.............. wink Very Happy

I am assuming erica2004 gets something reduced in the current sales regardless of brand that she goes for in the end mind you when I say this.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, I remembered easiski had issues with a North Face jacket http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=387483&highlight=north+face#387483 and also comments made about their decline in quality in that thread.

I can't remember anyone saying anything bad about Arcteryx although I'm sure there will be some .... wink Very Happy
snow report
parlor wrote:
erica2004, I have a friend who skis in Kjus. She looks very very very hot in it. Criminally.

Yeah, I don't look bad in mine either. Laughing
ski holidays
cathy, hmmm yeah, I think as I said earlier that it seems to depend on what you buy from their range, some of it is a lot cheaper than other stuff although in easiski's unfortunate case she had got one of the more expensive items and later had trouble with it and getting it repaired free of charge.

Interesting to see parlor's list of all of his TNF stuff that has been good although the thread is quite old so it was a fair while back now perhaps before they went "high street" as people call it, and also, fatbob mentions of the reviews in the trail magazine

Quote:
Trail magazine has a customer satisfaction report on jacket repairs/warranty this month IIRC Mountain Equipment and some others came out quite creditably, North Face, Patagonia & Keela (! for sh shops!) not so good.

and earlier on in this thread ironically someone has said (Arno?) that they have a Patagonia jacket and have found it to be most excellent. Mountain Equipment look good I've had a look at their stuff before with some interest.

I think the moral of the story here is that you're going to get good and bad said about pretty much everything in life, it seems that there is no such thing as the perfect ski outfit that ticks all the boxes and which is the right price too it appears! Apart from Arcteryx maybe as no one has said anything bad about the wear of their gear but then PhillipStanton has said it's expensive. I think this is generally true of most things these days quailty wise, even washing machines, tumble dryers etc etc don't seem to last "as long as they used to". Not sure why this is, cost cutting across the board paying less in production costs resulting in an inferior product down the line eventually, who knows. Confused

Must say (being Sammy selfish here wink Laughing ), but as long as my TNF kit does the job and it does what I expect it to then I'm happy with my TNF purchases since I started skiing! I haven't had to replace things because they're knackered, just when I've fancied a change. I think I will consider Arcteryx next time though when I fancy a change or the pockets have ripped off or something. wink Laughing

Quote:

I can't remember anyone saying anything bad about Arcteryx although I'm sure there will be some ....

[Sighs] Yes I'm sure someone somewhere has got a grumble about that too. Very Happy

Anyone got anything to say about Salomon? That's on the latest BASI equipment offer so with the number of people that will end up wearing it plus the usual Salomon population there is bound to be some grumbles eventually about them I suspect.
Very Happy
snow report
Haglofs (without the umlaut obviously as I don't have one on my keyboard). Now they are meant to be another good one.

Ooh there's just so much to choose from!
snow report
Kramer wrote:

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/DSC01620.JPG Shocked
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, TNF has always had a certain chav factor to it. I can't remember what I wrote in that thread but over the years I've had loads of gear from them and it's been great. Still got a TNF soft shell that gets LOTs of abuse and it's fine. Anyone who dismisses TNF gear is doing so for very superficial reasons ie they don't want to look chav. The cheaper ranges that one presumes has the most chavs in it is no better than any generic ski brand, the quality stuff is amazing. Perhaps people also don't like to be seen it as there are lots of fakes now?

erica2004, you know it!

Kramer, Swirly, not really my thing but if you want to pay extra I provide a very good service.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
parlor wrote:

But not quite as alluring as in your fartbag.
ski holidays
parlor,
Quote:

TNF has always had a certain chav factor to it. Anyone who dismisses TNF gear is doing so for very superficial reasons i.e they don't want to look chav. The cheaper ranges that one presumes has the most chavs in it is no better than any generic ski brand, the quality stuff is amazing.

Yes, I agree, I can't see a chav going out and spending nigh on £400 on a TNF jacket just to have the badge, it's more like £100 they've spent. I do think there is a big difference between the quality of my latest purchase and some other TNF stuff I've seen in the shops on occasion which is lower end price so you are right there about the quality stuff being good. I haven't had any problems anyway so far like you so I'll keep on buying it unless I fancy a change. I've got a TNF microfleece which has washed nicely time and time again, more so than other similarly priced ski wear brands which surprised me actually because I thought it would all be good in the washing machine at some of the prices and also a big TNF brown down parka which has been washed and tumble dryed although you're not really meant to and it still looks as good as new, so I'm quite satisfied I suppose. Very Happy

Quote:
Perhaps people also don't like to be seen it as there are lots of fakes now?

Yeah maybe. Also the more popular the brand and the higher the sales, the more chance of someone finding there is a problem with their piece of kit statistically I guess.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Haglofs (without the umlaut obviously as I don't have one on my keyboard). Now they are meant to be another good one.

Ooh there's just so much to choose from!

Add another Swedish manufacturer to your list......Klattermusen. Rumour has it that one of the Highland Mountain Rescue teams will be kitted out in Klattermusen as they are fed up destroying other kit so easily...
snow report
philw, oooh. That should be a good one then.
latest report
Thought I should add a bit more info...

I bought a Klattermusen jacket recently, and it’s the best fitting jacket I’ve ever found (for me), and just for that it’s worth every penny. Normally medium are too short in the sleeves, and then a large is way too baggy, but the sleeves are long enough. I bought a medium Noatun after looking at the measurements given on their website, and advice from Mountain Spirit. Feels bomb proof, and it’s made from a stretchy fabric, so you sort of forget that you are wearing it.

The only problem is that there’s only one UK dealer (Mountain Spirit in Scotland), so trying one on first is a bit difficult, but, I'm glad I took the gamble and ordered one without being able to try it on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I see this kit that has lasted 5 years and the wearer has repaired it with gaffa because of damage and elsewhere it is very good, then I'll accept that it may be good kit. But when you bin it after 3 years because the colours are naff..or out of date, then we will know where it has positioned itself in the market. I am thinking more high st Prada than anything else at this stage. And at £720 a jacket I know where my thinking is atm. Killy, HD anyone..???

Gore Tex Pro Shell is a very good product... and way better than XCR which was also pretty good IMV.
snow report
at this point i get back on my hobby horse about how most ski kit is massively over-specified anyway. i had a Mountain Equipment pac-lite jacket which cost me £80. kept it for about 3 years during which i did about 35-40 weeks skiing/ski touring and wore it a lot for general use at home. was waterproof, super-lightweight etc. i have never worn out a piece of shell clothing (usually it's my cr@p crampon technique that does for trousers Confused )
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
at this point i get back on my hobby horse about how most ski kit is massively over-specified anyway.

I agree. It's relatively rare that the weather conditions are so bad that you test the extremes of your skiwear's technical performance. I've only skied for one day in the last three or four seasons when the waterproofness of my kit has been tested, and no more than a handful of days when the temperature fell below -20 with a big wind chill factor. The rest of the time the more important factors are does it have the right number/type of pockets and do I like the look of the clothing.
snow report
Quote:

My thinking is that softshells would be too warm. I'd be more concerned how they handle a really wet day... MY softshell is a heavier fabric than my GT jackets
ski holidays
erica2004, you should definitely get Kjus. Pricey but fantastic quality and much better than all the other stuff. Great cut so probably make you a better skier too.
ski holidays
666 wrote:
erica2004, you should definitely get Kjus. Pricey but fantastic quality and much better than all the other stuff. Great cut so probably make you a better skier too.

Do you work for Kjus by any chance? Wink
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Quote:

My thinking is that softshells would be too warm. I'd be more concerned how they handle a really wet day... MY softshell is a heavier fabric than my GT jackets

From trying on ARC'TERYX® shells, there was little difference between the soft shell and their non soft shell in appeared warmth (in a shop!) Obviously this may change on the hill, but ARC'TERYX® say their soft shell is as waterproof as their shell.
snow report
I see this thread has been dead for a while, but as it came up on google I thought I'd mention that I bought my Kjus jacket in Jan 08 and have been very happy in the 12+ weeks I've skiied in it.

It now has a small hole in (long story) so I emailed them address on their website and my query was answered within an impressive 2 hours! My jacket will shortly be on it's way to their specialists in Germany to be fixed so I think that's worthy of a mention given all the slating... Hopefully their sewing will be just as speedy and efficient Very Happy
snow conditions
kingswood, I've only had mine since 24th Dec but I'm already one happy customer. And I'm not sure this stuff is really as expensive as everyone is making out. I bought my wife one in Garmisch last year at end of season ( I hadn't intended to but we wanted to go skiing, get to the car park and discover... no jacket... so off to Sport Conrad and of course end up with Kjus ), for about €350 iirc. Might have been a bit more but not much.
ski holidays
Spotted quite a bit of it in the PDS over Christmas and New Year - previously was a bit of a rarity brand. I wonder if they have changed their marketing/pricing?
snow report
Yep, I think S&R have a lot to answer for, but €350 seems particularly good... enjoy!
snow report
DJL - maybe more folk have realised how good it looks Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy