Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One pair of skis and boots- 2 sets bindings AT / Telemark is this possible??

Poster: A snowHead
The new NTN boots from Scarpa fit both NTN tele bindings and dynafit touring bindings.

Some skis (black diamond and voile) come prefitted with inserts.

Voile make a plate that attaches dynafit touring bindings to their (or BD) skis

will NTN bindings fit in the voile/BD ski inserts?

if so could I use the same skis and boots for both tele and touring (and even some piste)?

has anybody done this?

if so is it ok or just rubbish??

this isn't really about saving money (if I wanted to save money I wouldn't go skiing for a start) I just don't want to caryy 3 pairs of skis and boots around if I could get away with 1 set of skis and boots, a plate and 2 sets of bindings......any way I already have alpine and tele gear.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can do normal Alpine and Telemark with the Vist Speedlock system.
Haven't found the option to combine AT and Tele on 1 ski yet Sad

spyderjon will be able to tell you lots about this subject.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ronald, yes I know this- have you done it- is it any good?

has syyderjon done it- but he sells them so he will say they are great- won't he
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
edsilva, I've finally found this thread which may be of interest. I'd be interested to hear how you get on because ideally I'd like to do the same (sometime).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
edsilva, Spyderjon sells them, but many many people on here seem to agree with him with or without buying from him. I consider his words trustworthy.Vist seem to be doing pretty good all around.

I have Vist bindings on my 06/07 Stockli GS, but they're not speedlock. Do like the bindings.

Ive been interested in some system that would allow AT + Tele on 1 ski... If Vist wake up and make this they got a customer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
edsilva, Dont know the boots but i would be surprised if they had enough toe flex for tele and the whole system seems a bit early days to me....

i have the vist interchange plate with tele and alpine bindings.... Very Cool in concept but pretty much a major pain to get sorted. Honestly if i had to do it again i would just buy a second pair of tele skis and not go down the interchangable route. Tele boots and bindings are very bulky and by elminating one pair of skis it doesnt buy you much IMO. It has taken me quite a while to sort out and although Jon has been hugely helpful along the way i felt the tele solution from VIST wasnt thought through and bit of a prototype solution.

Now my problems may be unique to me but i didnt initially didnt get on with the alpine binding set up on my karmas, but am hopeful that after making some adjustments they will be great.

PROs
The VIST bindings are solid and the speedlock plate are of very good quality...

If you have lots of FLAT skis that can take the VIST speedlock plate you can carry just one pair of bindings for all your alpine skis, the problem is that lots of manufacturers skis have ribs or combined binding systems which arent compatible with this product.

The speedlock plate lets you move the binding for and aft along the ski which allows you to experiment with balance points and easy quick set up for either on or off piste use

CONS
Cost of tele adapter plate plus binding makes it relatively expensive.

The Vist Binding has a very large 5mm heel height ramp, This may suit some skiers but for me this was a big problem as i need a 0mm ramp and i had to machine up new alpine plates to raise the toe by 5mm. Couldnt just shim under the speedlock plate as they dont make +5mm screws.

Determining where you should mount the speedlock plate on the ski is very tricky to ensure enough range of adjustment for tele or alpine use. There are numerous methods of how to determine where tele bindings should be mounted and it is confusing to say the least. For me i have the alpine bindings almost at the very front and the tele bindings fully aft.

The pre drilled telemark binding adapter plate sounded relatively easy to install with my bindings but required rework and different screws than is normally used with the G3 bindings they were designed to work with. I also didnt think the pre drilled holes were in the right position and had to redrill and move them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey Ed! Way to go get your back bottom handed to you! Did you see the last post? Franken Tele? Seems your best bet.

As a telemarker and a skier: I wouldn't bother. Then again it's easy for me to say because I don't have to travel with all the gear.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agreed that the Vist TM interface plate has been a pain for skimottaret, primarily due to his long boot length, which means that the Speedlock plate isn't really long enough to accomodate his different alpine & TM mounting points. This also meant the toe piece mounting holes on his G3 drilled plate were in the wrong place to achieve the positioning required.

Vist now only offer their telemark interface plate as an undrilled plate which means that it will need drilling & tapping to suit your selected TM binding. The original model which was pre-drilled for G3's has been a great success on both the British Army TM Team & the British TM Team. However those guys never switch to alpine bindings so the plate isn't being used as originally designed. This allowed me to mount their Speedlock plates to suit their ideal TM mounting point & they can now adjust the fore/aft position on their Speedlock plates by approx 20/30mm for fine tuning & for differing snow conditions. It also gives them the additional lift which they wanted.

The interface plates are approx £40 a pair so I'd agree with skimottaret & parlor in that if you can cope with carrying another pair of skis then that's a better solution.

If you need to have a single pair of dual discipline alpine/TM skis then I would recommend the TM interfaceSpeedlock set-up as a great solution but only providing that:
- your boot length is length is no longer than 310mm, & the shorter the better
- only the Speedlock TT plates are used as that hs greater fore/aft adjustment
- the plates are initially mounted with both disciplines in mind, ie with additional seperation between the toe & heel plates, to give +/-10mm adjustment for both disciplines
- you check in advance that your selected TM binding will fit on the interface plate (there's one make that doesn't but I can't remember which one)

Skimottaret, Vist have recently launched 'stepped height' Speedlocks of various specs to reduce unwanted ramp angle.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Very fair and balanced reply Blush (as usual) Any details on the stepped height jobbies?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, The stepped plates are in the catalog that you can download from kiwi1's website.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, thanks- the simple question, a first post, that got polit ereplies here just resulted in abuse on TGR- hence that rather pithy remark. (Look at my face- am I bothered?)

skimottaret, thanks v usefulspyderjon, also useful- hae to say I am laning towards the 2 sets of skis-- but just perhaps some Icelantic Nomads +speedlock plates????? any idea on a totl price skis, plates , vist alpine bindings and teleplate anybody

thanks

ed

pS parlor, yes i had seen this on youtube but guessed taht it just migt result in broken legs- or maybe not!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edsilva wrote:
.....- hae to say I am laning towards the 2 sets of skis-- but just perhaps some Icelantic Nomads +speedlock plates????? any idea on a totl price skis, plates , vist alpine bindings and teleplate anybody.....

I'll get back to you tomorrow with a price. In the meantime what size Nomad's are you after? Fortunately for us but not for you, we're sold out of the 07/08 168cm Nomad's but I do have the only pair of the new 08/09 181cm Nomad's available in Europe Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, thanks, but it looks as though the step plates are only on the race versions so i will still need my "homemade" solution...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, The Vist catalogue ain't great but I'm told the stepped versions will be available in the TT & Pro Super Light plates as well. The Pro Super Light plate, which is my biggest seller, isn't even in their catalogue rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, good question- what size indeed?

I have 168cm foils- but would like something a little longer, 180 movement freeheels but probably want something shorter!

5'8" (1.75m) 86kg quite strong/fast alpine on/off piste, not so much tele experience but can 'get down any piste' have not yet really committed on tele skis off piste as it seems quite scary (I think I just need to russel up some balls and go for it)

But is it 'all about surface area"?

ed
ski holidays
edsilva, Tele is (same as alpine) about technique - but surface area helps. I have two setups - very old Tua Big Easys/Superloops for touring (sort of light) 178 - and Dynastar Intuitiv Bigs (89 mm waist, 168 cm) with Hammerheads. I can - if I'm really on it and not tired ski untracked snow on the Big Easys - but it's very tiring - the fatter Bigs, with more supportive bindings make a big difference.

Alpine turns in tele skis = cheating (IMV).
snow conditions
edsilva, The petite (& gorgeous) Anna from Icelantic is a superb TM'er & uses 168 Nomads so the 181 would be would be spot on for your stats. I'm 5'9" & 90kg & they were perfect for me with alpine bindings. Being a full twin tip the 181 Nomad skis to approx 175 so it's not really a long ski. I know some beginning TM'er's have problems with the twin tips snagging but your're already using Foils so you obviously have that cracked.
snow report
ski wrote:

Alpine turns in tele skis = cheating (IMV).

well its kinda not the point but I was surprised how much space Paul Parker devotes to it in his book and I'm assuming he ain't no slouch
snow report
spyderjon, are you going to have some TT stepped plates in stock or order in if needed?
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
spyderjon, are you going to have some TT stepped plates in stock or order in if needed?

Yes, as soon as they're available. Will advise.
ski holidays
spyderjon, Never mind the crappy Vist plates when can we meet the petite and gorgeous Anna? wink
snow report
is she from Iceland as well as Icelantic?
ski holidays
fatbob, I introduce Anne from Icelantic Skis skimottaret, from Denver.

snow report
kiwi1, my god, is she skiing on one ski?
ski holidays
parlor, don't you?
latest report
Fair play - looks like a lady with da skillz, though I'm sure you should be claiming its the Shamans doing all the work. Is that at EOSB - you really were lucky bugs that week weren't you?
snow report
fatbob, Yeah she was freeheeling on 161 shamans.... and yes Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy