Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva - speeding fine

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
I've just received a speeding fine from the Geneva authorities for going 15km/hr over the speed limit, however the offence was committed in Feb 2008.
Does anyone know the ruling on this, do I have to pay the CHF180 or will I get arrested next time I fly into Geneva??
In the UK there's a time limit from when the camera flashed and when you get the paperwork, is there a similar time scale in Europe??
I'm not losing sleep over this, just a little bemused!!
Any advice welcomed, thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sack it off and change your plates Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm guessing (well hoping) that this was Swiss Rental Car?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was a hire car, which is probably why they took so long to catch up with me.....(can't remember whether it was Swiss or French side)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 22-09-08 20:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sprinkles, ...and your passport ... and your home address .. and your driving licence .

As has been said here before. the Swiss will keep a record .. so pay up.

PS .. They make the rules and their laws apply to foreigners ( strange that wink ) as many a French driver will testify apparently.

edit - should have added this has been covered here before with some real life examples , not just anecdote and theory. You may find them if you search 'Swiss+speeding+fine'?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sprinkles, pay now or pay more later...they will catch up with you...unless you can change life plans to never set foot in the country again. Rationalise it as "chocolate box tax".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your replies, interesting reading.....paying up toute sweet snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sprinkles, AFAIK, there is no limit in the UK to the time you get the paperwork if it is a rental car. The time limit (14 days) applies to the registered keeper of the vehicle, which in this case would be the rental company.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The speed limits are there for a reason. If you have broken the law and been caught then of course you should pay up, can't believe you even asked the question. Hope you are more observant of your speed in the future, as the adverts say Speed Kills.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fred, speeding doesn't kill. Rapid acceleration or deceleration upon contact with a harder object moving at a much different relative speed kills. Things get killed when they're not even moving.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hyweljenkins I am quite aware of the physics involved, I was simply using the advert wording so as not to drone on too long. But thank you so much for clarifying the matter.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
The speed limits are there for a reason. If you have broken the law and been caught then of course you should pay up, can't believe you even asked the question. Hope you are more observant of your speed in the future, as the adverts say Speed Kills.

There are a growing number of speed limits that are there for no good reason and simply aren't justifiable (indeed would have been unlawful until recently), to such an extent now its just laughable when you hear those radio adverts saying "speed limits are there for a reason - slow down".

As with what happened on the A944 Aberdeen-Alford-Strathdon road in the 1990s, putting up dire warning signs that speed kills, slow down, and signs telling you how many accidents had occurred the result was wholly predictable. Nervous drivers (every bit as dangerous as over confident ones) and/or those unfamiliar with the road paniced and slowed right down greatly increasing speed differentials on the road - the result accident rates sky rocketed.

Local Authorities have until 2011 to 'review' ie lower speed limits in their patches (and it is lower, the govt changed the regulations to set Speed Limits on non-urban roads at the 50th instead of the 85th percentile), and each must have a speed camera partnership. Funny that! rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winterhighland, a bit like "traffic calming" measures, don't - and speed cameras don't reduce speeding...

stealth taxes abound.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, Totaly agree. It is easier and cheaper for the government to hit the poor sap with a fine rather than repairing the road which may cause the trouble!!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Winterhighland wrote:

There are a growing number of speed limits that are there for no good reason and simply aren't justifiable (indeed would have been unlawful until recently), to such an extent now its just laughable when you hear those radio adverts saying "speed limits are there for a reason - slow down".

Mabye in remote parts of Scotland that is quite true but if the original poster was zapped on the dual carriageway between France and the airport I would say the 100kp/h limit is reasonable given the large number of accidents on this stretch of road and the enormous amount of inconvenience that these accidents cause. On the motorway out to Lausaune the limit is 120kp/h, already higher than in the UK and probably not unreasonable either, it is a very busy and narrow dual carriageway road with frequent black ice in the winter due to fog from the lake.

Yes, a reasonable driver could hack along at 130kph without problems but the road contains an explosive mixture of Savoyard and Swiss drivers, many of whom seem never to have taken any driving lessons in their lives.
ski holidays
fred, Are you a traffic cop ?

By the way, when I saw the thread title the first thing that came to mind was Tommy Cooper:
"You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine.' So that was nice"
Laughing
snow report
Jerry, Laughing And speeding fine, too.

Those tunnels between Geneva airport and the French border feel pretty lethal at 100kph with a lorry on your bumper. (I've noticed though that the speed limit changes; at busy times it can be less than 100 I think). And it's not just Swiss and Savoyard drivers, it's Italian ones too plus a lot of tourists unused to driving on the right and changing gear with their right hands. That stretch up across the viaduct and into the Chamonix valley is scary on a bad day too, I'm glad I normally turn off at Sallanches.
snow report
pam w, The limit from just before the viaduct is 90kp/h.
ski holidays
Quote:
fred, Are you a traffic cop ?

No Jerry, but had four friends die in a car crash because the idiot coming the other way was going too fast. He was going so fast round the bend he could not control his vehicle veered onto the wrong side of the road and went head long into the oncoming traffic. It was national speed limit (60) on that road and the accident report estimated his speed at 125 mph. Bit tetchy on this subject as you may have gathered.
snow conditions
fred, And understandable, although some difference in the recklessness of your experience and sprinkles' 10mph run-in with a camera.

pam w, ooh yeah, that bit over and bottom side of the Chamonix viaduct gives me the willies too Shocked
latest report
fred, very sad to hear about your friends in the car crash, and I am by no means defending driving at over twice the speed of the limit which is just ridiculous.

However driving at 15kmh over the limit is so small in the grand scheme of things, and cant really be percieved as much of an extra danger. I can see sprinkles's reason for questioning it, especially given the 7 months it took them to issue him with the fine. (Lucky its not the stupid 3 points business that we have here Laughing )

But still a limit is a limit, and breaking (whether intentionally or not) can only result in some sort "punishment" i guess. Ah well
latest report
Quote:

pam w, The limit from just before the (Chamonix) viaduct is 90kp/h.

Yes, I got caught there by a police speed trap set up for the afternoon just as I was still braking after having to overtake a slow lorry.
I always find the run back on the side of the mountain scarier.
snow report
I don't drive fast as a rule, we were coming back from Chatel along the Route de Thonon alongside Lake Geneva at 5.30 in the morning (I know that, it's on the fine!!)
Anyway, fine paid, sorry to hear about fred, 's friends.
snow report
There's lots of bends where even the speed limit is too fast in most vehicles. Drive according to the conditions which include... visibility, tyres, road surface, suspension, local knowledge, weather, driver ability amongst many.
latest report
sprinkles, yeah there's a sneaky camera just along there. I think it's a boat crossing that's vaguely near a school that happens to be in the same city as a hospital. You'd think boats would have trailers rather than trying to walk across the road themselves.

Don't get me started on Swiss junctions, let alone the one you passed 3 minutes before your fine. Idiocy. Priorite a droite pales into insignificance.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy