Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Orcières-Merlette.. Any views/experience?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have managed to get my parents to buy into the idea of a family ski trip, like in the "good old times". Threatening to bar them from seeing their grand kids might have helped! Twisted Evil
And they'll pay for accomodation! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

They can get a good discount on accomodation in the Orcières-Merlette resort (french alps) via their employer.

Anybody been there or know anything about it ?

Judging by the website and considering most of the group will be beginners/intermediate and it will be a family holiday, it seems decent enough..

Any help appreciated... snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

See if I get more response form the day crew.. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kruisler, a search on here doesn't reveal too much info about Orcieres-Merlette, apart from this thread, there are only occasional mentions.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=135903&highlight=orci%E8resmerlette#135903
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont,

Thanks...you'd think by now I would remember to use the search facility! rolling eyes Embarassed

The tip about using "Orcieres" without the accent is a good one..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried with and without the accent. Acute accents are easy to reproduce on an English keyboard, but the grave one is not so simple to remember.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler, I have been there a couple of times, on day trips. They use the ski pass system, so you can buy a 3 hour pass, for example. Fine for beginners and intermediates, but limited for others. Snow making down to 1850. As long as the return runs, chardonnets or le gourou are open, you can get back down from the top or the back when the lifts stop, or your pass runs out. Let me know if you need any more info, Paul
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PaulS,

Thanks.
Everything i read tallies up with what you said. I am an advanced skier but a low intermediate boarder, with boarding my current poison. On top of that, my parents, although very competent, will not ski intensively due to age mainly and the rest of my family (wife,kids) are complete beginners, So all in all, looks like it will be adequate for a family trip..
Also looks like there is stuff for the non-skiers/kids..What is your experience on this?
Any info on ski schools/places to avoid/do's and don't do's?
The resort is reasonnably high so snow should be ok I assume...
Many thanks in advance.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler, I'm not sure about any of the non skiing stuff, but will have a look if I get to go in December Very Happy
Market day was on a Thursday, and took over the car park in the centre, next to the swimming pool.
There was ice driving at the valley floor, but it was actually puddle driving for a time! Not sure about other ski schools, a friend went with the ESF and was happy with them. The snow was fine, even on a hot April day (t shirt with the jacket open, phew...) and just a bit sugary for the bottom half of the piste below Drouvet 1.
Old style "egg" lift from 1850, and once, a 15 minute wait at peak time, on a Feb morning. From the top, the blue les Bouquetins is a bit narrow for the nervous. We took this with an early intermediate, only to discover the only sign we saw saying "blue closed, reds / blacks only" was at the end of it, so we had to take a red.
Les Lacs is an old 2 seater, but the red from it, Rochasson is my favorite run there. I could give you all the "a bit of speed Required" stuff, but, as it's usually sunny around here, you can see it all for yourself!
For a family, from your description, is should be fine. Especially with a discount!
Let me know if you need anything else, or would like the full "warp factor 5" required stuff Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks PaulS.

Looks like it may be all off now... Sad
All is not lost but my dad's been offered early retirement from 1st november, so he unsurprisingly signed on the dotted line and that may mean the discounts are off... Sad

I mean, after 45 years, what's an extra 6 months??? He could have waited, couldn't he? Twisted Evil Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy