Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP: austria/switzerland in mid january

Poster: A snowHead
Group: 6 relatively confident intermediates, get through lots of mileage(mainly reds but some blacks), but also looking for some off piste.

Travelling by plane, probably to salzburg, munich or basel. Looking for hassle free and cheap transfers.
Not too bothered about accomodation, will stay in self catering, b and b etc...anything really! but would obviously prefer somewhere nice..

Any advice on what resorts to pick, how to get there and where to stay would be most appreciated!

No objection to france or italy either but from what ive read here i would have been told to go to austria anyway!

Budget is roughly 750 euro for the lot (including ski hire and lift pass), but could stretch.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jms wrote:
... but from what ive read here i would have been told to go to austria anyway! ...

Laughing

There has been a reaction on here against the long held view that "France is best". No doubt the francophiles will regain their dominance sometime in the future.

The Ski Amade area of Austria would suit you at just over the hour from Salzburg. Schladming is one resort in that area, but you get 650km of piste on the lift pass.

The Skiwelt (Soll, Westerndorf, Ellmau, Scheffau etc) would also be a good option - an easy journey from Salzburg or Munich.

Equally you could wait till there are some late deals, that is probably the quietest period of all so almost certain to be some late bargains.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzbuhel is worth a look; it's not an especially cheap place, but there are plenty of pensions offering B&B.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

but there are plenty of pensions offering B&B.

but that's a really expensive option! Every single drink and snack at restaurant prices. You'll be doing well to do a week in Kitzbuhel for 750 euros at that rate. jms, if you want to keep costs down and self cater you will find a far bigger choice of self catering accommodation in France. They're not all rabbit hutches, despite some of the knee-jerk reactions. If you want to rent a spacious and well equipped apartment in a place with a pool and a sauna, no problem!. You can get taxis to resorts anywhere, though obviously not super cheap. But train transfers much more readily available in Switzerland. In France the cheapest option is often to hire a car - two, in the case of your party.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Every single drink and snack at restaurant prices.

Not if you take a kettle Toofy Grin

Saalbach would be a good option. You can transfer from Salzburg or Innsbruck by public transport, or get a fairly cheap minibus transfer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, yep, I suppose you could take a kettle, a plug adapter, mugs, coffee, tea bags, milk, sugar, spoons, etc. Or you could just rent an apartment. I've done illegal cooking in B & Bs in my student days; towels stuffed under the door so the Vesta curry fumes don't float down the stairs. Couldn't be bothered now. It is funny, though, watching people dodging furtively into their rooms in the "Formule 1", electric kettle under their jackets. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
okay okay...i feel i shuldnt have mentioned the budget...or the transfer!

revised edition: as above, except now i have 900 euro. And i dont mind a transfer of say 3 hours, i just want to be able to take a train or a bus.

o and one more question...do you have to go saturday to saturday, or is it possoble to book accomodation for say tuesday-tuesday?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jms, would recommend self-catering in the Ski Amade region, giving you the flexibility to travel around to the different resorts. Perhaps Flachau or Wagrain as a base would work for you.

You will find loads of self-catering accommodation in Austria, suited to any budget. As an example, H and I have stayed in the Hochkonig sector of the Amade region in January for around EUR20 a night between us for a lovely apartment with lots of space, right by the lifts. We have also stayed in a s/c apartment in Schladming for just slightly more money. You'll find something to suit your budget as in all of the areas there is a wide variety available. The best way to find it is to go to the Ski Amade website and use the search facility. You can narrow it down by resort or search the whole area. If you search the whole area it can be a bit overwhelming though so perhaps have a loook at the different sectors and then see what you can find. The website is www.skimade.at .

Agree that B&B is sometimes less economical if you are buying every drink etc. at restaurant prices, although Austria is on the whole not expensive (and the Amade region especially is very reasonable) compared with some of the big name resorts in France (such as 3 valleys etc.).

You can go by train and bus to most of the resorts, or hire a car for a bit more flexibility.

Other personal favourites within easy distance of Salzburg but not in the Amade include Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Obertauern and Kitzbuhel. There is also the Skiwelt as Ray Zorro suggested, but I would prefer Ski Amade every time. Nearer to Innsbruck or western Austria I would highly recommend Ischgl, although I would think it is somewhat out of your price range.

D
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bad Gastein perfect for confident intermediates. Several separate bus-linked areas, which might put you off.....? I went on a package so can't help you with transfers, I do remember there is a train station tho, and it is not far from Salzburg.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

but there are plenty of pensions offering B&B.

but that's a really expensive option! Every single drink and snack at restaurant prices. You'll be doing well to do a week in Kitzbuhel for 750 euros at that rate. jms, if you want to keep costs down and self cater you will find a far bigger choice of self catering accommodation in France. They're not all rabbit hutches, despite some of the knee-jerk reactions. If you want to rent a spacious and well equipped apartment in a place with a pool and a sauna, no problem!. You can get taxis to resorts anywhere, though obviously not super cheap. But train transfers much more readily available in Switzerland. In France the cheapest option is often to hire a car - two, in the case of your party.

A pension can't be as cheap as s/c can be, obviously, but it can certainly be a cheaper than half board in a pricey hotel, which is what Kitzbuhel is largely full of, and a great deal pleasanter IMV. There are some cheap(ish) places to eat in Kitzbuhel, and you can push the boat out once or twice if you want to. The OP said he was interested in B&B (although he might have meant private house B&B, I suppose).

I think you'd do well to spend a week in Kitzbuhel for 750 euros if you camped and ate roadkill (I'm not clear what the 750 Euros is to include), but it's worth a look, as the skiing and easy rail or road transfer would probably suit the group quite well. If it's too expensive, well, they'll know, won't they?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, a few suggestions...

St.Anton- The town itself is mostly bars, hotels and sports shops. Those seeking upscale shopping will be better served 20 minutes away at upscale Lech. In St. Anton, people don't go exclusively for the partying but, in the words of one local, it is "great added value after the skiing."

Innsbruck’s club and bar scene is a good value compared to other European ski resorts such as in Gstaad, Switzerland and Chamonix, France where prices tend to go higher. Drinks and entrance fees are in the reasonable range, and the places are usually fun and lively.

Ischgl has it all—40 lifts, more than 230 km. of wide trails, cross-border skiing runs into Switzerland, off-trail areas, cross-country, Alpine village atmosphere, inviting local cuisine, both luxury and affordable lodging options, and some of the wildest après-ski and nightlife in Austria. There is so much fun to be had in Ischgl we recommend resting up before you go. Be forewarned, nearly 50 percent of Ischgl’s skiers are from Germany, so if you want to meet people, it helps to speak some German.. If that’s not an option, you’ll fit in if you just practice dancing in your ski boots.

Zermatt is a scenic, car-free village with a medieval center and provides a great base for some of the best skiing in the Alps. Three main ski areas, the Sunnegga, the Gornergrat, and the Klein Matterhorn, offer world-class excitement for every level of skier. Zermatt has a well-deserved international reputation for being one of the top three skiing destinations in Europe.The village, located directly at the base of the lifts, consists of one main street called the Bahnhofstrasse. Here and on the side streets coming off of it, there are over 100 restaurants and dozens of bars and clubs. The après skiing scene is close to being the most famous aspect of the entire resort.Fun excursions include the Glacier Grotto, the world's highest ice museum with its blue, frozen sculptures. A cable car lifts visitors to the top of the Klein Matternhorn to explore the unique glacial caves. Another popular day trip is a visit across the border to Cervinia, Italy. The town also has spectacular views of the Matterhorn. The Alpine Museum in Zermatt is also fun for winter sports lovers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jms wrote:
Group: 6 relatively confident intermediates, get through lots of mileage(mainly reds but some blacks), but also looking for some off piste.

jms, you should be going to Bad Gastein. The valley is really well suited to high mileage intermediates like your group and there's plenty of off piste opportunities. Sounds like it ticks the boxes to me.

For more info have a look at www.skigastein.com (more links from my website too), or drop me a PM and i'll give you some more advice about the place.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

you should be going to Bad Gastein

If you can't afford St Anton, Verbier or 3V; I second that, extend your choice to all the Ski-Amade perhaps Maria Alm or Schladming- very short transfers from Salzburg, inexpensive and more mileage you can handle.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thank you all very very much! Can anyone recommend any self catering accomadation in ischgl/bad gastein/saalbach...had a look and these all look fantastic.

Also noticed than noone mentioned solden? Whats it like?

Dont want to limit it just to austria either...if anyone has any thought on switzerland that would be much appreciated too!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

cheaper than half board in a pricey hotel, which is what Kitzbuhel is largely full of, and a great deal pleasanter IMV.

absolutely agree. I would never, ever, go for half board in a pricey hotel, no matter how rich I was.
ski holidays
Quote:

cheaper than half board in a pricey hotel, which is what Kitzbuhel is largely full of, and a great deal pleasanter IMV.

absolutely agree. I would never, ever, go for half board in a pricey hotel, no matter how rich I was.

the reason I mentioned 750 euros, richmond, was that the OP said the budget was 750 including ski hire and lift pass....
ski holidays
pam w, he did, didn't he? Don't know if that includes food. Sounds pretty optimistic to me, given that the thick end of 200 Euros will go on the lift pass, and 150 Euro for kit hire, leaving 400 Euros for accom (and travel??!! and grub??!!!!).

We're actually doing the half board in a decent hotel thing next Feb half term (in the resort which must not be named); about £600+ each, just for the hotel, but it looks great.
ski holidays
Saalbach.
Val Thorens.
snow conditions
i did mention 750 as a target, but was very much excluding food and drink. Given that ryanair flights in mid january are for nothing i reckoned it could be done, and yes i was being optimistic. Also thats what a package deal to a mega resort in france would work out at, so was just looking for a comparison...if youll read on i did amend it to 900, as its not really a huge issue, just noone wants to pay more than they have to! Youre there to ski after all!
ski holidays
Quote:

ryanair flights in mid january are for nothing

Not necessarily. cheapest sensibly-timed return Stanstead/Salzburg 10 - 17 January best part of £100, without baggage.
latest report
well i did check them! 17-24 january...can go to salzburg,geneva or zurich for 100 euro odd...even got return flights to turin for 0 euro.
snow report
I reckon it could be done, especially if that price is without food/drink. I think the most expensive pension I've stayed in in Austria has been €28 per night, and that's for a single room with breakfast.
snow report
Quote:

even got return flights to turin for 0 euro

including taxes? I don't think so. wink anyway, 100 euro is not far short of 100 pounds. and the baggage chairs on top are not inconsiderable. It's a good buy, certainly, but hardly so cheap as not to be factored into your holiday costs.
snow conditions
We have never yet had a bad hotel staying half board. In fact some of the food has been absolutely gorgeous, for example Hotel Schneider in Obertauern http://www.schneider.at/englisch/index.html . We've found that can be the cheapest and nicest option, other than doing self-catered. Which we don't do anyway as I don't believe in cooking on holiday!

And Kitzbuhel is great for skiing on a budget - we've stayed twice now in a little B&B with Inghams. If you book it early bird it can be under £300 for flight, transfer, accommodation & breakfast. We've booked again this year, for about £350 first week in Feb. And as Richmond says, there are some great cheap places to eat in Kitzbuhel.

For us, part of the skiing experience is staying in a hotel with hardly any Brits - coming down to brekkie and doing the Gruss Gott thing Very Happy . One of the reasons why we're not so keen on chalets or self-catering

jms, I've been to Bad Hofgastein and Saalbach - both good places but haven't been self-catering.
latest report
jms wrote:
Can anyone recommend any self catering accomadation in ischgl/bad gastein/saalbach...had a look and these all look fantastic.

Bad Gastein! Well .... there's my apartment! Toofy Grin (link at the bottom of this post)

Alternatively put your accommodation requirements on www.gastein.com and the local apartment owners will make you some offers. An apartment for 6 should set you back about 700 Euro for the week in January. Contact me if some personal recommendations. snowHead snowHead

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions
Mayrhofen and stay http://www.tiscover.at/at/scout/accs/118144at,de,SCH1/objectId,ACC775391at,curr,EUR,lm,false,modulId,guide,on,ACC775391at,season,at1/online.html?clk=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.tiscover.at%252Fat%252Fguide%252F118144at%252Cde%252CSCH1%252FobjectId%252CACC775391at%252Cseason%252Cat1%252Fhome.html
Fly to Munich (We use sleazyjet from Edinburgh: £65

Good bars and clubs, not too expensive.
snow report
thank you all so much...at the moment its looking like mayrhofen...just as a guideline would we be unlucky to have snow and crowds problems in mid january? is the snow history good for that time of the year? and are there likely to be a lot of people on the slopes?
snow report
jms, it should be quiet then. If there is little snow at Mayrhofen (and no reason why that should be the case), you are just up the valley (and on the bus route) from Hintertux, where there is glacial skiing all year round. There is guaranteed skiing if you are based at Mayrhofen.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and whats it like? good skiing? nice town?
latest report
jms, Lots of good skiing, both at Mayrhofen itself and at other places in the valley all covered by the one lift pass which also includes the trains and buses to get between the areas.

Personally, I prefer Zell Am Ziller to stay, but I don't really want any nightlife, I tend to just have a quiet drink or three in the hotel bar. Mayrhofen is much livelier if that is what you want.

You would be very unlucky indeed to have real snow problems, although you may well not be able to ski back to the base area. The main Mayrhofen area (Penken) will be the most crowded in the valley, but is still not likely to be too bad at that time of the season. If you do stay further down the valley, then you can avoid the queues for the Penkenbahn gondola by entering the ski area at Hippach using the Horbergbahn gondola.
ski holidays
Try Saalbach, plenty of variety and good nightlife
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy