Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute bookings this year

Poster: A snowHead
What with the credit crunch and all we are considering booking our week away at the last minute (within a week before departure). We are doing this so a) we can stay in much nicer accommodation than usual and b) to have the flexibility of going where the snow is good.

We are a mixed ability group of 8 and flexible to go anywhere in europe for the first week of march. We normally get a catered chalet to ourselves bu realise this is unrealistic.

Does anyone have any views on our chances of all being able to stay in the same hotel/chalet and the volume of deals that will be around this year. We think because of the credit crunch/job fears and increasing mortgage costs people won't be skiing as much this year so there should be some deals to be had.

Any and all feedback gratefully received, and example of the deals anyone on here has got in the past and how far in advance they booked them.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The 1st week of March is statisically one of the busiest of the winter as it is the 1st week after February there are a lot fewer families on holiday as the kids are back at school.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had some cracking deals in the past, booking last minute.

We had two weeks in a La Plagne 4* Chalet and paid less than the other guests did for their week Very Happy Booked it two weeks before departure. All we knew was the destination airport and that we had chalet accom. All we were told was which coach to get on and where to get off. Had a great two weeks and it was our first chalet experience.

Went to Serre Chevalier one year in a 5* Chalet - that was all the booking details we knew when booked. Didnt matter really for the price, less than 50% booked again two weeks before departure. A quick flick through the TO brochure revealed only one 5* Chalet in Serre Che. Toofy Grin Again another cracking trip sweetened by the price.

The main point was we were flexible where we went to a point and the time we went, and we were only one couple. As you increase the numbers this obviously limits the accom. and to some extent the flights. Its also been mentioned that TO wont be having so many deals as they have cut back on their accom. and flights.

We have also had some cracking deals booked well in advance too, often better than last minute deals. How about two weeks in Whistler, Chalet accom. with master suite, 5 course meals with Champagne lift passes and transfers for £2000 for two of us Very Happy Booked 12 months in advance tho, with only a small deposit .

I think for 8 people you will probably need a large chalet or hotel so you all stay together, and I dont think theres going to be the volume of deals as in the past. You may be surprised at the number of people still skiing this year, but next could be totally different Confused

Best of luck and let us know how it all goes Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tour operators have slashed capacity this year.

There will be fewer lastminute deals on offer.

If you want 8 people in the same shed, you're gonna have to book now.

Crystal have a 2-for-1 liftpass offer, which could cut your total cost by a few %.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd be with whitegold - why on earth would a tour op leave themselves with 8 beds available in 1 chalet at one weeks notice unless its truly bottom of the pile accomodation?

Late booking & 2 people = more than possible

8 people = greedy & unlikely but if you're prepared to risk missing out entirely by all means have a gamble
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
simski81, I agree with Whitegold and fatbob, getting a last minute deal for 8 is tough. I think you should split into 4 groups of 2 and agree a resort then accept you won't all be in the same accommodation (and possibly some of you might not get a deal at all).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
simski81, I work in ski travel and have to agree with other's comments. The chances of finding a good catered chalet with 8 places available in this busy week, in a resort that will meet your requirements, AND at a bargain price, are minimal. A group of 2, will always be much simpler. You'd be much better seeing what there is now, and booking something that meets your needs. If you can find somewhere that would offer you sole occupancy (and with a group of 8, this is do-able), and be willing to book NOW, you may well find a deal as the owners will be happy to have a full week booked. For example, I booked my own group of 8 for next January, last June. To secure an early booking, the chalet offered us free return airport transfers (which is worth a fair amount for eight people), and it's a lovely property - all en suite, good location, hot tub etc. You may have to do a bit of work if not going with a package, but in my experience, it's always worth it. I'd get a move on though! PM me if you need any help
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:
Tour operators have slashed capacity this year.

There will be fewer lastminute deals on offer.

If you want 8 people in the same shed, you're gonna have to book now.

Crystal have a 2-for-1 liftpass offer, which could cut your total cost by a few %.

If the operators have slashed capacity, will that not make for more and better deals for the DIYers? I mean, the hotels/chalets etc are there....if the tour companies aren't pre-booking them, I would think the owners would be discounting heavily to try to sell rooms?
I agree with everyone, you're not going to be able to get a last minute deal for 8...you're more likely to end up paying over the odds if you leave it too late and want accomodation in the same hotel/chalet.
Last minute is great for couples without kids, where you don't mind where you go so long as it's cheap (Oh...that'd be me then Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy )
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got a question for those that say that the tour ops have slashed capacity for this winter-if they have done what you are saying then how are they going to fill all the catered chalets that they've already paid for for the season and have staff they have to pay regardless of whether it is full or not? As far as i can see most tour ops now offer even more accommodation in their brochures than before-if they have reduced the number of flights the only way i can see them filling the beds is by offering last minute accom only deals which you do sometimes see in peak season and at the end of april when they've sold all of their flight seats out.

I do agree though that trying to get a deal for 8 is a lot harder than it is for just 2-if you cost is a real issue and you do decide to wait till nearer the time then you should go down the clubhotel/clubchalet route as some of these sleep upto 60/70 and they can have a lot of rooms left in these properties right up to the laast few weeks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From my experience, getting a chalet for 8 for your exclusive use is unlikely, but you would probably be able to find four bedrooms in a large chalet or chalet hotel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Atomic_Mick, I don't know much about tour op contracts - but it's doubtful that they will feel the need to honour staff contracts that haven't yet started (or in some cases yet recruited). I suspect that they will just not open some chalets this year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, I would of thought though that the biggest cost to the tour op would be the rent they have to pay to the owner for the chalet for the season so i can't see them just letting it stand idle.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was under the impression that capacity had actually increased due to last seasons good run and the increase in early bookings..and places like Japan and finland are having more flights and holidays to them from the tour Ops.

apart from 1 week that we always do in Zermatt, we always last minute it..either with a tour op or DIY..but like the others say not sure if 8 in th esmae place is possible unless you try for some of the really big resort hotels or apartment complexs..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My partner and I are also going to wait until the last minute before we book anything. We are hoping that we get something poshish at a good price - bearing in mind, we will have to be flexible about where we fly from (preferably none of the London airports, as they are too far away from us - unless we can get a cheap flight down to London).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Atomic_Mick, I would expect, although based on little evidence, that most tour op beds are in hotels and are on an allocation basis. If they aren't used, they aren't used.
snow conditions
last minute for my trips this year.. except perhaps half term, i may look into that today
latest report
i could be wrong here but dont most tour operators lease chalets as opposed to own them outright. My guess would be that they own a core of chalets and lease additional capacity depending on their forecasts.

If this is the case Whitegold, has a point although i wouldnt say capacity has been "slashed" but reduced to cope with lower anticipated chalet holiday punters due to higher flight costs, credit crunch etc.

self catering is proving very popular this year as people tighten their belts and my agent said at this time of year they have never been as booked up.
ski holidays
In France the first week of March 2009 will still be school holidays - zone B. Frankly, that would be a crazy week for anyone from the UK to go to France unless they had to. If you have to go that week, I'd go somewhere else.
snow report
Most Chalets are leased by TO's, not owned .

If the Brit TO's cannot honour there leases or pull out the owners will easily find replacement markets. The void is easily filled.
High season is never a problem.
latest report
When Easter falls also plays a part, as it determines the number of weeks of "off peak" in March. Having always got good deals 3 weeks before departure for the second or third week of March in previous years, I got caught out in 2008 by the early Easter. Most tour operators were able to sell any remaining capacity for the second week of March at above brochure price. Having paid £400 to go with Ski Beat in 2007, I was shocked that they wanted £1300 minimum for any of their remaining chalets for the same week in 2008. Other TO's I spoke to were mostly fully booked and several were busy buying in addititional rooms wherever they could find it due to the colossal demand.
snow report
pam w, that week is usually much quieter than the previous three though, as I have skied it on a number of occasions.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, yes, it's not the Paris zone, but still no point in people who can go out of school holidays going that week if they have the choice. There's a marked difference once the school holidays finish.
ski holidays
Anyone had any experience in getting a late deal in school holidays. Am going to be looking for a week away for 2 starting 4th April to somewhere with high altitude. What do you think my chances are of a good deal in 2009?
snow report
skimottaret, I think you're right...re chalet leasing.

We are seeing encouraging bookings far in advance of last year. Limited sample but certainly backs up your agent's opinion.
latest report
I'm planning a similar trip to the first poster, but for mid-Jan. Likewise relaxed about country/resort provided its a decent sized area, and happy for our group of about 6-8 to split into say 2 chalets/hotels. Sounds like there are a few out there well in the know on ski industry stuff. Last year I know there was plenty of last min availability for Jan - do you reckon that will be similar this time around?? Would appreciate any views.
snow conditions
patrick318, more likely in mid January than the first week in March. As I said above, in France (which is the only place I know about) the second week in March is better because for French skiers the season will be over. For the last few years snow in mid March has been much, much, better than snow in mid January. But January remains cheapest and if you're flexible about your destination, type of accommodation, flights, etc. I don't think you'll have a big problem finding something mid Jan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy