Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI??

Poster: A snowHead
I am very confused about the BASI instructor qualifications...I went on their website, but could not find anything!

I want to get my ski instructors qualification. I do not want to teach in a fridge, I want to teach in a resort. The Alpine Level 1 course says it is not for resorts, but only for teaching on indoor slopes. I think from looking around snowheads, what I want is BASI Level 1, but I can't find it!

I want to know...where and when the courses operate, whether it is possible to do Level 1 and Level 2 seperately, and how much it will cost!

Can anyone help?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swisssnowbunny, I don't know much about BASI other than there have been numerous threads discussing the ins and outs of everything from cost to ski choice. Run a search and you'll dig up loads. No doubt others with first hand experience/knowledge will be about to give you some better info..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv, I tried a search, but couldn't find specifics on getting the first level of qualification, or a link to course details! Thanks for the suggestion though!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
swisssnowbunny, Puzzled did you try clicking on Courses, and then Alpine? That tells you what you need to know about where and when the L1 courses operate within Snowdomes in the UK and also the approximate standard you need to be at ideally before taking the BASI Level 1 course.

I have a link. http://www.basi.org.uk/qual_info.aspx?qid=35

Course dates:-

http://www.basi.org.uk/module_info.aspx?mid=139

To teach in a mountain resort (except in France where you need to be a higher level again-again lots of threads on here discussing this) you need BASI Level 2 mininum (although there are exceptions to this-see below) In order to pass BASI Level 2 then you need to pass BASI Level 1 first and all the things that go with that, e.g First Aid course, Child Protection module, the 35 shadowing hours and then once you have the BASI Level 1 qualification you need to gain a further 35 hours of shadowing hours and then pass the 10 day long mountain based BASI Level 2 course to gain the BASI Level 2 qualification.

Once you have passed this then you can teach in any mountain resort worldwide except in France, although in some Swiss or Austrian resorts for example then AFAIK they sometimes allow people to teach with only a BASI Level 1 and not necessarily with the BASI Level 2 as a minimum. I don't think this is necessarily a frequent occurance though so if you are serious about it then best to aim for the BASI L2 or an equivalent qualification.

There are other qualifications other than BASI you see that others will tell you about, for example if you wanted to teach in Canada then you could consider the CSIA qualification.

As arv has said, there are loads and loads and loads of recent threads on here on all of this kind of thing so if you do a search you should find out all of the information you are asking for.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahh, it all makes sense now, thank you! I thought there were seperate strands for teaching indoors and out...so was trying to find Level 1 for on the mountain.

Thanks guys!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
swisssnowbunny, well, there are actually separate strands now with the introduction of the UK Senior Instructor course which is a higher level than the BASI Level 1 but still teaching indoors, but mountain or indoors they all start with taking the BASI Level 1 first, so that's the one you'll need one way or another, plus the 70 hours shadowing, the First Aid course and the Child Protection Module to progress onto Level 2.

Make sure it's what you definitely want to do though because even getting to Level 2 standard takes up quite a lot of cash and time, not in the course fees necessarily which will be £380 or thereabouts for Level 1 and £510 for Level 2, it's the 2 weeks accomodation in resort you'll need for Level 2, 2 week lift pass in whichever resort for the course, food, flights etc to consider as well, the First Aid course before you can take L2 costs money, resits if you have to take L1 or L2 again, that sort of thing and then once you're qualified you have refreshers and things like that.

Beyond Level 2, well that can run into thousands more so you need to be sure you want to pursue the ski instructor route.

Good luck anyway.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I definately 100% want to persue this option. I'm not a gap-year-kid wanting to learn to ski. I've worked in resort now for 3 years as a nanny/on slope assistant to ski instructors, and have been encouraged by a lot of the ski schools to look at instructing. Ideally, I am one of the people mad enough to want to teach young children.

Can you use past hours? I probably have about 1000 on slope assisting hours in various resorts I could get signed off, or will they need to be post passing Level 1? Can you do the First Aid certificate in advance?

Also, I am planning on teaching in Switzerland and/or the USA. I have no interest in France particularly, so the ESF route is not particularly appealing. I know the Swiss have their own instructor system, does anyone know anything about it? Does the USA generally operate on CSAI? Or do they have their own system? Is BASI recognised globally?

So many questions, I apologise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swisssnowbunny,
Quote:

I'm not a gap-year-kid wanting to learn to ski.

I didn't think you were or implied you were otherwise you'd probably be asking about GAP courses. Puzzled I was just saying that going down this route can get a lot more expensive than what some people might think. You would be surprised at the number of people who think it's a few hundred quid and they're done so to speak.

Quote:

I've worked in resort now for 3 years as a nanny/on slope assistant to ski instructors, and have been encouraged by a lot of the ski schools to look at instructing. Ideally, I am one of the people mad enough to want to teach young children.

In that case why don't you approach the ski schools where you have been assisting? That would be far easier. That would make sense to me because they may offer to train you within their own system, whichever one that might be which has been known to happen within some Austrian and Swiss ski schools. At least then by speaking to them first then they will tell you whether they want you to do BASI Level 1 or another Level 1 equivalent qualification and then you'll know where you're at straight away.

Quote:

Can you use past hours? I probably have about 1000 on slope assisting hours in various resorts I could get signed off, or will they need to be post passing Level 1?

They are meant to be done after passing the Level 1 course, so whether you could use those 1000 hours or not will depend if the ski school is prepared to say you did them after passing the BASI Level 1 course, even if you've done them before. Also, the 70 hours shadowing requirement has certain things that can be counted (look this up on the website link I gave you) so you might have been doing those things in the 1000 hours, you might not have. So can't answer that one. The ski school you've been helping has the call on that one.

Quote:

Can you do the First Aid certificate in advance?

Yes you can. Although if it was me I'd do the First Aid after passing the course.

Quote:

I know the Swiss have their own instructor system, does anyone know anything about it? Does the USA generally operate on CSAI? Or do they have their own system? Is BASI recognised globally?

Don't know anything about the Swiss system. No the USA has it's own system PSIA, although I expect that CSIA is accepted to work there. Yes BASI is recognised internationally, I havent heard of anyone experiencing problems getting jobs in USA or Canada with a BASI qualification instead of CSIA or PSIA as far as I know anyway. In addition to this then you would need to get a work permit to work in USA or Canada although I don't know anything about this bit. There are threads on here somewhere where the permit thing is being discussed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Below ISIA level you are pretty limited, some resorts only hire ISIA and above. BASI is a good option although its going to cost ya heaps!

The Canadian system is very good and worth a look, if you want to work in France eventualy then start training GS right now!! and do BASI.

Good luck
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, sorry if the "I'm not a gap year kid" came off kind of grumpy, its what I get a lot from my parents so I tend to be a little defensive...I apologise!

I will definately be asking the Swiss ski school if they can help me out. I've also had an offer from a US ski school that they would be willing to train me up to instructor level providing I stay and work there for a season (not BASI though, I would assume it would be the US system), which is another offer I am considering, although it would be very much dependant on me getting a visa to work, which I worry might be problematic.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
swisssnowbunny, if you need a visa to work in the USA you will struggle as the number of visas has been drastically cut. Did the school that offered you a position understand your immigration status?

As others have said there are different options as to which qualification you pursue but my advice would be to figure out where you would like to teach and get a qualification that is recofnised in that territory. If you wish to teach in switzerland and the states BASI would be a good option or perhaps the CSIA. You can get work in switzerland as a BASI L2 covering half terms and busy periods but a full time role can be tough to get but it is certainly possible especially with your history of working with children.

Where would you intend to take your instructor courses? If Europe BASI is a good bet, Andorra has some CSIA courses from time to time.

BASI is recognised globally, the CSIA is very well respected as well. In europe the austrian may be worth a look as well as you can work with a lower level qualification and if you enjoy teaching children this may be a good option.

The USA PSIA system is really only of use in the States IMO.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The USA PSIA system is really only of use in the States IMO.

Yep I agree with that too from what I've read and heard. I think CSIA is the more useful out of the two.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swisssnowbunny, Yeah avoid the US system waste of time IMO! Go with CASI if you are going to N.America
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with the above, but if you see this as a life long career go with BASI so you can follow the system through and eventually be able to work in France where you'll earn decent money.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swisssnowbunny, At the end of the day, if you want to be a full time professional ski teacher you will need to go all the way to ISTD level. Once there you'll be able to work wherever you want to in the world. What languages do you speak? If you are determined to work in Switzerland, is this because of family or do you live there? I presume not, or you wouldn't be thinking of BASI.

BASI are respected everywhere at ISTD level, but be warned - it will take a minimum of 4 years and about £15,000 to get there (without considering the hard work involved). You will also need a second language and a second discipline. Actually, you can work in France on a lower qualification - but you are a trainee. They are just more honest in calling you that - in Switzerland and Austria you'll be paid like a trainee, treated like one, just not called it!

It's a great life, but uncertain. there are a lot of anxieties about how much/whether you'll work each season, and of course it's hard to do it all year round on the mountain. If looking to Switzerland it would probably be best to focus on resorts with a long season and also summer skiing if you want to pursue skiing all the time. Get in with one ski school and work your way up. There is a very decent market for ski teachers who like to teach children, but this doesn't mean you should be less qualified - I would suggest the reverse!

GOOD LUCK Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
There is a very decent market for ski teachers who like to teach children, but this doesn't mean you should be less qualified - I would suggest the reverse!

GOOD LUCK Very Happy

Totally agreed... Shame its more often then not the lowly qualified get to do the kids, and even more often the ones who don't have a feeling for working with kids...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy