Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

good all rounder ski

Poster: A snowHead
looking to upgrade to a pair of skis this year that would bea good all roun for gromers, ice, and off piste, something of a jack of all trades master of none type ski thats easy to ski. from what ive seen so far movement hype, rossingal bandit 80 and volkl ac30 seem about the best bet. anyone know much about these or give any other suggestions for a good all rounder ski. type of skiing i do is fairly aggresive up to black but once on something like a black run will take a bit more care and make sure i get down in one piece. im 6ft and weigh around 11stone in case that will have an affect on the above skis
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nordica dobermann SL-R do everything well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, I love you. Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nah they are a race ski
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
colors, Nordica Enforcer, Volkl Bridge, Head Monster 82, Dynastar Mythic Rider,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
colors, AC40 if any for an "all round" ski, I'd probably go fatter though. A 177 would do you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
colors, they still do everything very well...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fischer Watea 84, Dynastar Legend 8000...demo if you can
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whilst on the subject, how about women's skis as I am looking to get some beginning this season (never owned yet). Have been very happy on Dynastar women specific ones I've rented in the past but can't remember which ones/length etc. Need a good all rounder (intermediate skier) but not necessarily adaptive to off piste as only occasionally dabble a bit around the edges, nothing serious and would rather have something good for on piste than trying to do half and half. Any recommendations? Thank you Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just buy the ones that go with your boots..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, when said 'good all rounder' I meant for all conditions on piste.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv, That sounds a bit chauvanistic
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley, I'm sorry, you might get a bit more attention if you start a new thread. What weight are you if you don't mind? I find women can be better off on mens skis depending on what they are like. Dynastar do a pretty good range of womens skis. Volkl also have a really good selection which receive pretty good reviews as far as all things go.. I don't think you can really go wrong if you want womens specific skis as there's not a huge selection despite it getting bigger.

http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Ski/Equipment/Skis/Volkl/Tierra+VOL0022.htm

Just as an example..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's worth keeping in mind that as you improve you might want to head off piste a bit more or check out more of the mountain so you may want to keep that in mind when making your final decision.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv, Ok thank you. I'll look at S&R. I may hire skis again in Tignes in December with a view to trying out (am on inspired to ski course) before buying. At least this way I get to see how they actually feel on snow. Also, the course may bring me on a bit more as it includes some off piste I think. I'm 66-67k.
snow conditions
Beverley,

Many women here have built up quite a bit of knowledge of what works for them...so see if you can start the thread and tap into that advice.

Unfortunately the ski reviews section is probably a bit out of date but start here for some thoughts.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/ski-reviews.php
ski holidays
Beverley, I actually think for an 'intermediate' skier that arv comment was about right. Unless you're going to go and test loads of skis then get some that you really like the look of - this means you'll fall in love with them and think they're the best skis in the world. I give this advice to men and women.
snow conditions
shouldn't really agree but the arv comment is probably right about how 50% of most recreational female skiers choose their skis and it seems to work for them. We have sold the K2 one Luv womens ski as our best selling female ski for 3 years now and it looks set to continue again as women love the way they look and they happen to be a perfectly good all round skifor good recreational skiers
snow conditions
sail and ski, ........and weigh a ton..???
latest report
X-Wing tornadoes...well I like mine and they go anywhere and do anything I want, from the pistes of Valloire to the trees of Red Mountain
snow report
JT, fair comment, was just likening parlours comment to what i see happen all of the time where graphics rule over performance. Not the way to buy skis but it happens all the same and more often than it should - and it isn't just women I have to say!
snow report
Beverley, Ignore this lot. Look at the Volkl range, you won't go far wrong. I tried a lot of different makes and I very much enjoy the 'bounce' of the volkl skis. I have a piste specific ski which S & R have on sale at the moment. It's called the 'Arena'. http://www.snowandrock.com/BrandSearch/Ski/Equipment/Skis/Volkl/Arena+VOL0021.htm
ski holidays
colors, you don't need a good all rounder ski, you need to be a good all round skier

(Sorry if I sound at all old fashioned...) Twisted Evil
latest report
David Murdoch, shuttup Grandad. Laughing
ski holidays
David Murdoch, same thing isn't it Puzzled
latest report
martski, blatantly not. A good all-round skier would be able to do all of it on the same pair of skis. It's about skill, not how much you've forked out on an assortment of consumer tat with pretty pictures on.
ski holidays
martski, nope. My fave all round skier could still ski it all fluently and gracefully on a pair of 203 Atomic ARC bionic Slalom skis circa 1983 if he wanted. Put anything vaguely ski shaped under his boots and he'll ski the hind legs off any recreational skier I know. And he's a recreational skier himself, never pro.

To take the point further, my father-in-law learned to ski on a pair of barrel staves nailed to his clogs. Seriously. We still have them and photos too...

Lizzard, woteva
ski holidays
DM,

Darth Murdoch wrote:

a pair of barrel staves nailed to his clogs. Seriously. We still have them and photos too...

Post 'em.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Because nobody has mentioned it, movement skis, because they are amazing. Very Happy

P.S. I just found out my Uni trip is taking me to VT, yaaaayyy snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
my father-in-law learned to ski on a pair of barrel staves nailed to his clogs.

Clogs? was he Dutch?
ski holidays
DB, Toofy Grin Clogs are made by a sabot maker, and are traditional savoyard / french footwear

see here

http://www.artisan-bois-sabots.fr/page_std.php?lang=en&idrub=2
snow conditions
Clogs.

Northern England shirley.
ski holidays
comprex, means digging out the old piccies. I'll have a look next time I'm over. DB, no, Aostan. or more specifically, Ayastan. Born & bred in Champoluc. M-in-law still wears clogs, sheepskin lining for the winter, very practical I'm told. Fun for kids too as you can draw on them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy