Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on Val Thorens please

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of booking for the 3rd Jan. 2 skiers both good. Any good tips about the place and the obvious "whats the snow like" at that time of year. Could you give me your thoughts on the place please.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very high and thus snowsure with a very good lift system and restaurants from hot dog to Michelin, can be very cold in January, subject to closures if January winds are high, suffers fog and low cloud in January, BUT can be brilliant and offers excellent connections to the 3 valleys.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah your lucky I am predicting a new years day dump on VT of around a meter followed by blue bird. You will have a fantastic week Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, Yep, quite possible Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MFC, had you considered staying in Meribel instead that week? Just a thought because as Boredsurfing says, it can be cold in VT and you can get high winds up there that close the lifts if the winds are high. I went there once first week of January and precisely that happened which was a bit of a hindrence for a few of the days. I've stayed lower down in Courchevel early Jan another time and it was just a bit nicer out of the cold plus still had access to all of the 3 Valleys. If you stay in the middle a bit lower down in Meribel or somewhere you can go over to Val Thorens or Courchevel to get the best conditions then.

Just a thought. Hope that helps. It could be brilliant though and there are some great deals to be had, I'm off there myself that week. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
If you stay in the middle in Meribel somewhere you can go over to Val Thorens or Courchevel to get the best conditions.

seconded, stayed there in January this year and skied all over the area very easily Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have skied in VT a couple of times in January over the last few years and although on both occasions we had a day of white-out the area is so extensive if you buy the three valleys pass you can normally find somewhere to ski. Last year the snow park was really busy on the day we had bad weather so you can always head there tostay warm!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I take it, it goes V T
Meribel
Courchevel ???

Trying to find a map which shows it all. Were are you staying at Volk?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MFC, yeah. You not been before then? If not then you're in certainly for a lot of choice of where to ski wherever you stay within the Three Valleys. Huge area.

This will tell you about Meribel http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=137&desc=Meribel%2C+France&resname=137&x=25&y=4

and Courchevel and Val Thorens if you click on those resorts too.

Piste map http://www.meribel.net/ftelechargeables/389434988310185.jpg

You might need to zoom in on the map.

I'm stopping at Meribel 1450 next to the lift called Rhodos 1. Basically that's the Chaudanne area where all the lifts in Meribel start that go wherever, Courchevel, Val Thorens depending on which side of the valley you want to go to. Meribel Mottaret has got quick access to both sides of the valley too as well which is a bit higher up than Meribel 1450. In fact Mottaret looks like it's quicker access to both Courchevel and Val Thorens actually than 1450 but couldn't say for sure mind.

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No not been before, does it show? So theres different Meribels 1450, 1750 etc. How long does it take to get to Val Thorens or Courchevel and is that by road or lift?

And whats the Chaudanne area or is that in Meribel 1450 Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MFC, as said already stay lower down, Meribel or Courchevel, Meribel is more central. I was there last Jan and the same week one of my friends from work was staying in VT. On one day all the VT lifts were closed but everything was open in my sector
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some people may find sleeping at this altitude a problem, I have only ever slept as high as 2000m and I snore so loud I wake myself up. Ear plugs essential Razz Razz
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blimey - I'm surprised no-one has linked to this thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33012&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 the tails of fun (and woe) of a fellow s/h called Johnnyboy and his season in Val Thorens.

Give it a read - it'll certainly give you a feel for the place...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, Good point! I wonder if the book of the thread will be available soon Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MFC wrote:
No not been before, does it show? So theres different Meribels 1450, 1750 etc. How long does it take to get to Val Thorens or Courchevel and is that by road or lift?

Yes but it's not a problem. This is what Snowheads is here for. Yes there are different bits of Meribel, Meribel Mottaret, Meribel Village, Meribel 1450 (where Dicks Tea Bar and the shops, apres ski bars that sort of thing although there are apres ski bars in other parts as well). There are other parts as well which link into the main area but I've just mentioned the main ones.

The Chaudanne area is one of the lift areas in Meribel, that one being in Meribel 1450. Study the piste map I gave you the link to and all will become clear. For example, the Chaudanne area (it's a wooden post with Chaudanne written on it) has Rhodos 1, Plan de L'Homme, Tougnete 1 etc etc and then somewhere else in Meribel you'll have other wooden posts with names on them to label other areas. They are good meeting points basically.

Anyway, where have you skied before now?
ski holidays
We went at New Year some time ago. Found Val Thorens very cold. However it had much better snow cover than the other parts of the 3 valleys due to its altitude. Meribel was very slushy the time we went. If you are both good skiers and don't mind the cold Val Thorens would probably be a good bet as a base for the three valleys. You would be able to ski over to Meribel or Courcheval some days and there are a lot of runs at Val T itself from what I remember.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
MFC wrote:

Anyway, where have you skied before now?

OK dont laugh, Bulgaria. 1st time Pamps when we skied on tarmac then last year Bansko ( o the Ques). We go to Kendal ski slope through work from end of Sept to Jan.
ski holidays
MFC,
Quote:

We go to Kendal ski slope through work from end of Sept to Jan.

What's that doing then? By the way are you and your ski buddy who you're planning on going with 2 mates or a couple? Will you be wanting apres ski in a big way or not?
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
MFC,
Quote:

What's that doing then?

We go to Kendal Ski slope and stand at the bottom of the slope and watch people coming down it, some times we point at them rolling eyes

Going with the girlfriend and Im sure we will be trying afew beers but not in a massive way, seems a shame to get hammered and sleep in missing the skiing. OK im getting older now ( I'll get my coat)
snow conditions
Val Thorens is good, been a couple of times. Not the nicest looking resort, but the skiing is good and there are some good bars, including the highest pub in Europe, The Frog and Roast Beef. If you like staying out late there are a number of clubs that are always busy and a good laugh.

Snow has always been good, managed to go in November last year for a cheeky few days. Lift system is excellent, no slow lifts really most chair lifts are detachable.

Lots of Dutch people seem to go to Val Thorens, not a bad thing though some of them are a little crazy.

As others have said, if you're a good skier you can easily ski all over the 3 valleys which is a bonus and it's easy to get the 'fourth' valley Orelle which has some great runs and doesn’t get too busy. Some have said it’s cold and windy in January, whenever I’ve been there in Jan it has been sunny and warm, luck of the draw I guess. Lot’s of ski in ski out places.

I like it anyway. Going at New Year this year so that’ll be an interesting (busy) experience.

Some useful links

Val Thorens official site:

http://www.valthorens.com/

6 Day snow forecast

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Val-Thorens/6day/mid

Val Thorens Wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Thorens

Ifyouski Val Thorens information

http://www.ifyouski.com/Resorts/View/?objectid=358004

Unofficial Val Thorens website with ‘human’ snow reports

http://www.valthonet.com

Web cams in Val Thorens

http://www.snoweye.com/?page=fr-savoie-3v&detail=valtho

The Frog and Roast Beef

http://www.thefrogandroastbeef.com/
ski holidays
MFC wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
MFC,
Quote:

What's that doing then?

We go to Kendal Ski slope and stand at the bottom of the slope and watch people coming down it, some times we point at them rolling eyes

Going with the girlfriend and Im sure we will be trying afew beers but not in a massive way, seems a shame to get hammered and sleep in missing the skiing. OK im getting older now ( I'll get my coat)

MFC

Ah, you've not quite got to grips with this skiing malarkey just yet then. You need to be at the top of the slope with the skis on not standing with them at the bottom. Laughing

Anyway, oi cheek! Confused I don't think you not being very nice to me is going to get you more help and answers to your questions from me do you! rolling eyes Laughing wink What I was actually referring to was when you said you go to the slope through work. As in was it a regular work outing or a works ski club or something. Clearly the fact that you were there to ski was a given! rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 20-09-08 21:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Blimey - I'm surprised no-one has linked to this thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33012&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 the tails of fun (and woe) of a fellow s/h called Johnnyboy and his season in Val Thorens.

Give it a read - it'll certainly give you a feel for the place...

Boredsurfing wrote:
bertie bassett, Good point! I wonder if the book of the thread will be available soon Very Happy snowHead

Be patient and wait for the next chapter , Val Thorens 08/09 the return of Johnnyboy coming soon ! wink

Regards Mark
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing sorry couldnt help it. Take the 3 kids skiing at Kendal on Fridays and we go as well. Keeps them out of trouble and yes its a ski club at work. Am hoping to do some teaching for beginners if I get my act together and am lucky enough to get on one of the courses.

Going to present all this info to the boss tomoz and see what she thinks!
snow report
Forgot to ask is it busy at the start of January? On one of the web sites it says it not, and if not why not?
snow report
MFC, once New Year is over and done with, French kids (and others) go back to school. AFAIK, nowhere is particularly busy immediately after the Christmas/New Year break.
latest report
MFC, ok I forgive you Laughing Yes I remember you asking on here about the Level 1 instructor course a while back now, I replied to you about it because I'd done mine recently in June.

Is it just the two of you planning this trip then or are you taking the family as well? Either way then I would stick with my original recommendation of Meribel I think. It can take some time to get from Val Thorens over to Courchevel and back you see if you want to go, as I and others have said at least Meribel is in the middle and keeps you out of the bad weather a bit if the winds take off a bit up high.
latest report
Just me and the girlfriend, have got rid of the kids Razz Looking at Mer 1450 or mer mott 1750. Bit of sun for the boss as well wink
latest report
Think most is ski in & out which i want to treat her to, so much choice!

The prob with the level 1 is I may not be ready for it. Had a course last week on bindings, body weight and height etc which was ok.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MFC, ok yes Meribel 1450 or Mottaret 1750 will both give you quick lift access to elsewhere. There is quite a bit of ski in ski out accomodation to choose from. Even if it isn't ski in/ski out then there's no bussing it around, which is one of the good things about 3V. It's not normally far to walk to get on the gondola which is great.

If you have a look at this:- http://www.maddogski.com/France/Meribel

That might tell you some places where you can stay and check tripadvisor.

Quote:

Had a course last week on bindings, body weight and height etc which was ok.

This was a ski tech course no?
snow report
MFC, I stayed once in Hotel Mottaret, which simply could not be bettered location-wise - ski in/ski out, a matter of moments to the lifts which are right at the centre of the 3Vs. The sad thing was, though, that the food was really poor. This was a couple of years back, guess things could have improved...
latest report
MFC, I think it's OK snowHead
latest report
II, Stop it! NehNeh
snow conditions
Im supposing it was a tech course. Its not as if i can teach at any slope just Kendal thats if I get on the course at all. Think they are having a meeting in Oct to have a chat to the likely few who are good enough to go on it.

Think I looked at that Hotel Mottaret. Is it pricey or a good idea of hiring someone to show you around for a day or am I being soft or lessons?
ski holidays
MFC, I've got zero bump of direction, but found the 3Vs well signposted and the piste map pretty good, so covered loads of ground without getting lost. I didn't venture off-piste, though.
snow report
MFC,
Quote:

Its not as if i can teach at any slope just Kendal thats if I get on the course at all.

Puzzled They must be referring to one of their own courses, perhaps through Snowsports England possibly. If you do the BASI Level 1 course and pass it and the other components you need to get the qualification then you will be licensed to teach skiing up to parallel standard at any artificial enviroment within the UK, be it dry slopes or Snowdomes. Anyway that's a side issue there are tonnes of threads on here telling you all about instructor qualifications if you do a search for them.

Quote:

Think I looked at that Hotel Mottaret. Is it pricey or a good idea of hiring someone to show you around for a day or am I being soft or lessons?

I've not stayed at the Hotel Mottaret so couldn't say what I think about the place. I really don't think you need someone to show you round, it's such a simple area to navigate even without the piste map (I think it's one of the best areas for signage I've seen) but besides as long as you take a piste map with you, you can easily navigate yourself. That is assuming that you stay on piste of course. I don't recommend that you venture off piste on your owns, not that you were planning on doing that anyway I don't expect. There is so much skiing there on the pistes then you will have plenty to keep you occupied anyway. Put it this way, there is over 30 times as much pistes in the 3V as Pamporovo has and almost 9 times as much as in Bansko so there's enough skiing to keep you busy for weeks. Very Happy

Re lessons, so you've done two weeks on snow, and every Friday skiing on a dry slope through the winter months yes? I think you would benefit from lessons as loads of people have lessons here and there regardless of ability. If you stay in Meribel 1450 or are prepared to ski down from Mottaret each morning then there are a few really good British ski schools which meet at the Chaudanne area, one of which is Parallel Lines, I think that it would do you both good to have some lessons, perhaps not every morning but for the first couple of mornings. That way you will get to see a bit of the area with the instructor and you might meet some other people in your group to ski with if you like that have been before.

Another hotel I've heard is in a plum spot right on the slopes and is ski in ski out is MW Chalet Hotel Tarentaise. It's no 1 on tripadvisor for Meribel and so has good reviews but I expect it has the price tag to match. Although 3rd Jan will be low season as I've said so it might be reasonably priced then.
ski holidays
ValTho is very good.

Superconvenient ski-in-ski-out.

Surprisingly buzzy resort.

Its height ensures good snow.

But it can also be cold.

My coldest day in the Alps, -30c, was there a few years ago around Crimbo time.

But, overall, a great resort.

Do it.
ski holidays
Cheers all and VolkAttiva. G/Friend is keen so just to book now and hopefully shoud be ok! Cheers all!

Are you going same time Volk? If so so beer awaits you! Cheers
latest report
MFC, thanks and great, I'm sure you and your girlfriend will have a brill time. It's loads better than Bulgaria. Very Happy Yeah I will be there same time-I'm going with Inghams 3rd-10th Jan. Cheers.
ski holidays
Why not try Les Menuires - lower than VT but cheaper than Meribel. We are going back for the 3rd time in February ! Very Happy
latest report
Any thoughts on lift passes for Val Thorens

Do we buy in UK or resort (exchange rate being what it is)?

Do we buy a local pass and upgrade for days out or do we buy an area pass?

Also which school is best for the little people (age 6)?

Going for New Year so for what I've read am expecting it to be COLD
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy