Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton - ski hire expensive?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

just investigating variety of ski and/or boot hire for party of 6 in feb - and the cheapest nastiest ski/boots combo comes in at €140+ for 6 days - does this strike anyone else as a little on the pricey side?? looking back at italian/swiss rates for last year i see that i paid €105 for similar standard, same number of days....

anyone got any good recommendations of places to hire gear in st. anton?

thks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been there the last two years and there appears to be a cartel working, at least in all the hire shops around the centre. Rental prices were exactly the same in all shops with no leeway given for group discount. Perhaps less central shops might be better.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
doogo, I reckon that's not a bad price for StAnton, not the cheapest place in Austria (to say the least). You may find that your accomodation gives you a 'discount' with some (or all) of the rental places.

We used Intersport at the bottom of the Galzigbahn. You can leave kit there overnight (at a price), which might be handy. They're very helpful and pretty well organised, considering how busy they get.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
doogo, St A rentals are on the dear side compared to some other places. Fauner Sport near the bottom of Galzigbahn did a great service with overnight storage FOC. Would recommend them. Have also used Intersport who have several shops in town. You can get a bit of discount by pre-booking on t'net with them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
doogo, I have just checked out the online site that I usually use and they are quoting €161 for premium skis Shocked we are going to SA in Jan, and this has really got me thinking that now is the time, to buy our own skis as that is crazy money ! rolling eyes

http://www.snowrental.net/be/ski.asp
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
doogo, this is from an earlier thread I started asking about the same thing. It is quite extortionate and if it wasn't for the grief of lugging the equipment both to the airport and fitting it all in the car(there would be 5 of us, we have 3 older kids), I would definitely buy our own gear this year.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41649
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is pricey, but at least the Intersport at the Galzigbahn (and no doubt other shops) has a decent range of well maintained skis, and the boots look OK (my kids were able to hire pretty stiff racing type boots). The staff are friendly and helpful, although as always being young, female and attractive (0 out of 3 for me) does no harm when it comes to having your skis found for you in the morning and put away for you in the evening. It gets busy at the obvious times, but it's basically pretty good (as it should be). It has a small shop upstairs, for accessories, but that seems pretty pricey, although I haven't found a cheap shop in StA.

I'm not convinced of the merits of buying for the one or even two week a year skier, unless you have very specific requirements, bearing in mind the cost of buying, maintaining and shipping them, and the hassle. If you get free or cheaper storage (as you do at Intersport and the other place mentioned in StA), that's another point in favour of renting, as is the possibility odf changing the skis during the hol.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks,
Appreciate all the good answers - *IncogSkiSno*, snowrentals.com does seem to have the best prices - have done a good search of all the other main shops and it comes up with prices that are about 20% cheaper than the rest .... well i guess i'll just have to break the bad news to the others in my crew - cheers d
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doogo, what did you decide to do, our holiday is coming round fast and I am undecided whether to pre-book or take a chance on a group discount when we land in the resort.... Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are at the Nasserein end of town, then Jennewein, under the Nasserreinbahn has got a pretty good range of skis. I have purchased skis from there and the demo skis were quite good. Jurgen is very knowledgeable and worth seeking out if you want some guidance on hire/buy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
doogo wrote:
Folks,
Appreciate all the good answers - *IncogSkiSno*, snowrentals.com does seem to have the best prices - have done a good search of all the other main shops and it comes up with prices that are about 20% cheaper than the rest .... well i guess i'll just have to break the bad news to the others in my crew - cheers d

Make sure the ski-hire shop that snowrentals use is convenient for your accommodation - if they're in Nassereien and you're accomodation is in Moos then that's a bit of a PITA / taxi ride to get kittedup. I personally prefer not to pre-book so that I can find the nearest shop with the best kit / staff - ok so I've lost 20 euros or such but that's only 3 pints or less.

Jennerwein just back from the galzig sorted my mates a treat last year, skiers could swap to boards for a day or two (and vice versa) for no extra charge.

But yes St. Anton ski kit rental seems v. expensive compares to some other places - just think of it in Euros and don't try to convert it into sterling
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doogo, Do what most folk do and 'hire' a pair of skis from outside the Mooserwirt Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett wrote:

I personally prefer not to pre-book so that I can find the nearest shop with the best kit / staff - ok so I've lost 20 euros or such but that's only 3 pints or less.

Totally agree...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

I personally prefer not to pre-book so that I can find the nearest shop with the best kit / staff - ok so I've lost 20 euros or such but that's only 3 pints or less.

Totally agree...
red 27, bertie bassett wrote:

I agree with your costings and they are fine but when you are paying for all 5(my family) you may realise that 20 euros fast becomes 100 euros and so on. The difference in actual cost in euros compared to last year(La Plagne) just for ski and board hire is coming out at more than 200 euros for the whole family. By your calculations that works out at 60 pints!!!! Or 12 pints each Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I do realise there is little i can do about it, it just hurts a little in the knowledge that someone is making loads of profit out of me and thousands of others. Again I have no gripe with people making profit, I am in business myself, but this seems all rather too excessive Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy