Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Google lens colour

Poster: A snowHead
Short of taking a lighting crew with me to adjust contrast and brightness, if I want to see what/who I'm skiing into on the mountain then I'm going to need lenses of a certain colour.

Apparently some colours are better for some lighting conditions - but which lenses for which light??????!!!! Puzzled Puzzled Is there an "all rounder" colour that people tend to stump for? I don't have much money to spend, or much patience for constantly changing goggles if the light changes.

Please advise - or suggest suitable link if the topic's been around before. (Had a look but didn't see any.)
Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I go for a low light goggle (i.e. yellow lens) and switch to sunglasses when it gets really bright. Seems a pretty good compromise and its easy enough to carry both.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've several pairs of goggles with different colour lenses, I can't say I know the names of the colours though. In terms of wearing a pair all day I don't find it makes any difference to me whatsoever. I see that if you only ever put goggles on in fog then you might want something particular.

In all seriousness in poor light the tint of your goggles is overrated in the extreme in my opinion; if you have a good technique and stance you're just comfortable and relaxed and gaining a few cm of vision hardly makes any difference.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use goggles all the time - cause I find them comfortable with my helmet.
I mainly use the Oakley Fire Iridium lens, but have the Black Iridium one for very bright days (but I haven't switched to them in the last couple of years.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I only use goggles if it snows, and then only if it's heavy enough to go in my eyes, or if the light is really flat. For this I use goggles with an orangey tint as I think they do give better contrast, so you can see the ground better.

All other times I use sunglasses or nowt (but only around sundown).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It gets even more confusing if you start comparing manufacturers.Some yellow,orange,reddish and all shades in between Confused
There are only really two things of interest to you.They are 100% UV and the light transmission figure(look on the box)For the grey,cloudy,dull days u want high light transmission(say 70%)and the bright days u want low(say 15%)If you use sunglasses for the bright light,that just leave's the dull.As regards the shade,everyone has an opinion.I'm with ise on this.Never found that much difference,and I've tried loads.I carry a cheap 'spare' pair.Picked them up at a car boot(Serious-thats the make BTW)for £5.They might not be as 'cred' as Oakley's,but I wont cry if I loose them.They are just as good as any other I've tried,and the lens is light green!!Work that one out Toofy Grin

I know the above is completely useless to you.Think I'll go and lurk in another part of the forum wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wear goggles all the time. I have got 2 pairs one dark tint and one Oakley pair with a "Persimon" (orangey) tint. I used to switch according to the light but now I just wear the Oakleys all the time. They still cut enough glare in bright sunshine for comfort.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I usually use shades (2000) but in flat light I switch to goggles with amber lenses as I find they give the best definition.
That said, I have just picked up a pair of Adidas Yodais as they should be fine in place of the shades but okay too in flat light (I'll find out next week if they cover both bases sufficiently). They also fit well with the helmet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use Scott goggles with an Orange tint which work well in flat light. I have a pair of Julbo High Mounatin Glasses with toughened glass...They all over 20 years old and they are excellent. They are for very bright light on glaciers and are quite good on flat light but they are very dark...which seems to be a bit of a contradiction but they have serve me well.

I would not buy any of these without knowing what I am going to use them for..
As I invaribly carry a day pack I carry 2 pairs of specs and the googles....plus a spare hat, water, frst aid kit etc..
it depends of the weather.
If I am blasting around on a sunny day in the resort I just take two pairs of specs, one light and one dark type lense.

If money is the issue get a red/orange type lense as these will cover flat light and not be too bad elsewhere.
Try not to cut corners here, get the best you can afford as you will be wearing them all the time and they will protect your eyes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obviously sunglass lenses are best for high light conditions - they're specifically designed for it!!!!

Blimmin eck - considering the amount of on-slope whinging about not being able to ski well when you can't see well in crappy conditions, you lot SHOULD know a lot more about suitable lense colours for LOW light!!!!!
C'mon guys, help me out here!!!

Even I know from my photography lessons that:

a) in low light conditions you need a lens that allows as much light as possible to reach the "retina".

b) a lens colour will filter OUT it's own colour.

So what's the answer???? Someone please!!!!

I've been told variously that yellow is better, and that orange is better, and that pink is better. There's quite a light frequency difference between these colours, so what's the scientific answer?

And why so the yellowish/orangey/pink tones help human eyes see snow better in low light????
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, ah, but we don't whinge in crappy conditions Very Happy We laugh and take the p*ss out of everyone that went home and get out and have a blast Very Happy Then around 4pm we start to wonder if we'll be able to find the car and drive it or not....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Since the topic says Google not Goggle, I did and found this from abc-of-skiing.com. Scroll down a bit for general advice on colours.

Your memory of photography Item b) is wrong Manda. The lens colour filters out its complimentary colour and passes its own colour. In B&W days you used a yellow filter to darken blue skies. Yellow / Orange goggles will filter out blues and tend to improve the contrast in moderate to poor light to help you to see bumps and contours. Purples & Pinks are best for really low light levels but it's a matter of improving contrast as much as transmitting light.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kuwait_ian, you spotted the deliberate error(s). Er hem.

I still use a yellow filter with B&W film. S'pose I'm the only one who does nowadays.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Yellow / Orange goggles will filter out blues and tend to improve the contrast in moderate to poor light to help you to see bumps and contours. Purples & Pinks are best for really low light levels but it's a matter of improving contrast as much as transmitting light.

Ah ha. So most folk skiing down a moguled red in the middle of the day in overcast conditions will prefer a yellow/orange lens, while someone skiing at sunset in with a white-out approaching will prefer purple/pink. Or (more likely) will abandon ocular feedback entirely and use the force.....

Kinda.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, but a lot of us wear goggles all day; by choice, because they're better for off-piste face plants, boarders. helmet wearers etc. So I can't carry 10 pairs around with me, one pair has to do for all day, so I find any good pair is fine, I use a battered pair of O-frames personally.
snow report
I prefer the Scott orange tint.

I wear glasses, but even so on days when I forget my goggles, I'm very tempted to buy googles at outrageous prices in the on-the-hill shop, because I feel like I'm missing something because my eyes won't let me go as fast as I want to without tearing up.
latest report
Ghost, a belated welcome to SnowHeads snowHead snowHead
snow report
any time of orangish lens should be good for an all-around goggle. it's specifically for partly-cloudy to cloudy days, but they adjust decently to both darker and brighter skies.
snow report
Ghost, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Lenses that block blue light will usually give you the greatest contrast. That's why rose tends to be popular.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy