Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rather confused newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,
I'm off to work a ski season having just got myself a job, although I'm not sure where yet. I'm starting to look at gear, I've got my head round clothing and base layers etc. but it's goggles that are confusing me a little, especially as I'm searching around the internet looking at reviews etc.

I've been skiing before, almost 10 years ago, and still have my goggles from then. They are in an OK condition, the lens is a little scratched and has a dent or two in it, but I remember that they fogged up quite a lot. So I'm thinking it'd probably be best to get a new pair, which is where the confusion comes in.

I'm guessing comfort is one of the key things to look at, and if they fit properly they are less likely to fog. Apart from that I really don't know where to begin in terms of what lens I'd need. Would I be better off with goggles with an all-round lens, or get goggles with a lens for flat light and a lens for brighter days? I'm aware sunnies may be an option for the brighter days, but my eyes will no doubt start streaming as soon as I get going (they do when I'm on my bike not pedalling that fast). And where would I be better getting them, before I go or when in resort?

Thanks (and sorry for all the questions!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sitter, Welcome to snowHead

If you have the funds Oakley Wisdom with changable lenses! Get a lense for flat light and one for sunny

If you want a good allround lense the Oakley High permission yellow lense is a good bet

All goggles fog up even the new ones just some take longer than others.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a pair of Adidas Burnas, and the lens they come with coped well with the conditions at the EoSB (ranging from 'can't see your ski tips for cloud' to 'ahh it's a bit bright'). Although I had to take them back because after 3 days of use the coating on the lens had worn off in patches Shocked

I'm assured that thats the first time the shop has seen anything like it and they don't usually do that, but I wouldn't know as I haven't really had a chance to use my 2nd pair yet rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sitter, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Buy in resort; make at least one friend in a shop! Or, if you are working in a chalet, you will probably find that clients leave them behind with monotonous regularity and you can save yourself a few bob. It is actually perfectly possible to ski without £100 worth of goggles!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sitter, a pair that fit with the helmet you will be buying... wink

welcome to snowHeads btw snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sitter, welcome... I would suggest getting a pair that has replacable lens as others have said. You can switch lens for bright or cloudy days and replace em when they get trashed. Try on a few in resort and if you wear a helmet make sure they fit with the helmet. I have oakleys and love em but have a pair of POC's that are great and fit with my helmet better...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So you guys would suggest a helmet then? And are goggles cheaper in resort or buying before I go?

Oddly enough, I've looked at the Oakleys and do like them. Just need to get myself to a shop and try them for fit!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as a sessionare you'll be wanting the biggest pair to give you the silliest goggle tan.

Smith anthems are pretty good and cheaper then oakleys...then get high and low light lenses and you should be fine
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sitter, are you a woman or a man because you can get women's gogs and unisex gogs you see. If I was you I'd get the goggles before you go from the UK because there's more choice of brands and styles than what I've normally found in resort shops, even in big resorts, and especially for women if you are one. I do find having a small/medium face that a lot of the unisex goggles are just too big for me. Also the sales are on right now, so you can get a bargain on the internet if you try on some goggles in a shop first to see how they fit.

As for lenses, well I've only ever had the one lens in both my pairs and have had no problems seeing so it's been fine, but we're all different in the eyes department.

You don't necessarily need to spend £100 or more on a pair of goggles, remember they are easily nicked and left on restaurant tables so think about that. Definitely ditch the old pair of gogs-you don't want to be bothering with those-they're loads better now than what they were 10 years ago. I've had a Bolle Simmer goggle (women's goggle that mind so made for smaller faces) and the Smith Anthem (again a women's goggle). Both goggles had universal lenses in them that could be worn in all light conditions. The Bolle goggles were fantastic and they had a Vermillon Gun lens in them and I could see fine in all conditions including flat light and they never fogged up either, Bolle have got a really good helmet compatibility thing going on, plus they are a good make. They got nicked in Val D'Isere so bought the Smiths-they were a bit more expensive and again no problems ever with seeing or fogging, brilliant universal lens in them but the clip at the back was a pain in the ar*e and kept on coming undone, so I'll keep them as a spare and I've just bought a new pair of Bolle Simmers exactly the same as first time round for £40 including free delivery. They fit my (and most others it seems) helmet no problem.

If you're gonna get a helmet (and there are lots of threads on here with arguments for and against if you do a search for them) then you need to try the gogs with the helmet in the shop. Best to get the helmet first as less choice of them than goggles I suppose. Try and get one with two (dual) goggle clips instead of one. This stops the gogs pinging off when you put them on your head and twisting round at the back which is a pain. Note that this doesn't happen to everyone with one clip on their helmet and there are various methods of putting them on your forehead with a helmet "just so" but for a newbie I might as well recommend 2 clips instead of one if you can get one and be done with it. wink Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitter, Best not to mention the Helmet word you will get about 100 pages of Yes,No,Yes,No how dare you infringe on my rights etc etc..

Just put helmet into the search function and you will get the idea. I personally wear one safe,warm and after 5 min you do not know it is there. It has saved the noggin from a flogging once or twice. But it is up to yourself what ever is comfortable and what you want.

I have found that goggles are abou the same or more expensive in resort (For the Oakleys,Bolles etc.) Happy shopping
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sitter, also, like Ordhan has said, my helmet is lovely and comfortable and warm as well and so light I hardly notice it to be honest. Goggles I would say are less choice in resorts from what I've found as I've said and definitely at least as expensive as here. Plus they'll be in Euros instead of Pounds if you buy them there.

Also-get some sunglasses as well-again universal lens. You won't want goggles on all the time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I won't mention the H word again then NehNeh

I'm a female, although my face isn't that small. Just gotta try them on and see what is comfy/suits, then have a look at sourcing cheaper on the internet (seems some places are reducing them too which is even better for the pocket).

Sunglasses: I'd rather prioritise on getting goggles TBH, I already have a pair that I can make do with (albeit rather battered) but would rather wear goggles as my eyes do tend to start watering when I'm cycling along, so I imagine I'd get the same thing on skis.

I'm off to Manchester next week for the football so will have a look at some of the shops in the Trafford Centre that I know sell ski goggles, as well as the shops at Chill Factor. Just want to start buying now really, spread the cost and help keep my excitement under control!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ordhan wrote:

All goggles fog up even the new ones just some take longer than others.

That's kind of misleading no?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sitter, Oakley Stockholm for the ladies Mrs O loves her whits and glittery ones smaller sizes and shape for the lady faces

DaveC, There is no such thing as an anti fog goggle! Some are a little better than others and hold out longer but eventually you will put them on your head get snow in them or just operate them outside their limits and hey presto foggy goggles
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sitter, yeah, that's right you need to try them for comfort and fit and then buy the ones that fit the best. If you get a helmet though you must try them with the helmet because they do vary. If they fit a helmet well then they'll fit your face as well no probs or should do. The women's gogs are a different shape as well and personally I find them very comfortable because my nose is smaller than a blokes and all the rest of it so you might find that too. Sometimes though it's not a necessity and some women find unisex models just as good.

If you've got sunglasses already then fine, I just meant that you don't want to be just relying on goggles and not having some sunglasses for other days when goggles might be a bit much.

Good idea to try the gogs, remember the makes and model of them and then do a search for the best deal when you get home. Often you can save £10-£20 at least in my experience.

Ordhan, oh aye, yeah course goggles need wiping when you get snow in them. Provided they don't get snow or moisture on the inside of them I must admit I haven't had any fog troubles. If I put them on my head then they're normally only half on the helmet rather than fully so the air can still get round the back of the lenses if you like.
latest report
The quicker I go the less my goggle tend to fog, also in a gondola either leave them on or take them completely off, I'm a sweaty git so If I put them on my forehead they fill with condensation.
snow conditions
Wot Swirly said... My cheap Decathlon goggles did no steam once during their first week..on the last day, in a gondola, I take them off the face and leave them on the front of the helmet....bingo! they steamed....and I just could not get the bl00dy condensation off for the rest of the day..

If you do decide to buy a helmet, then make sure you have your goggles with you to try on....Or if you buy your helmet first, take it with you when buying the goggles...
It won't be nice if they are not compatible....
latest report
Ordhan wrote:

DaveC, There is no such thing as an anti fog goggle! Some are a little better than others and hold out longer but eventually you will put them on your head get snow in them or just operate them outside their limits and hey presto foggy goggles

Yeah, obviously things can fog at a certain point and it's never impossible, but your phrasing makes it sound like goggles *will* steam up, rather than *can*.
latest report
http://www.technical-gear.com/goggles/smith_goggles/snow_goggles/prodigy_turbofan.htm

Ski with your own personal extractor fan keeping your goggles clear!
snow report
ousekjarr: I've seen the fans on paintball masks, mixed opinions on one.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions so far, off to try some on tomorrow and see what suits then look at lens options a little closer. Helps that I've not got jacket or trousers yet so I can get colour co-ordinated gear Very Happy
latest report
Sitter, I can't see it mentioned thus far on this thread, but if it has - apologies. My only advice would be to make sure you get a pair with double lenses. They fog up far less easily than single lens goggles.
latest report
I've got a pair of arnette goggles bought in Italy (haven't seen them in the UK), multi purpose lense is excellent in all conditions and very rarely any steamy problems- think that only happens if you stand around talking too much! Toofy Grin
Have read, I think in Fall-line, that you should only wear goggles and never sunnys as the darrk lenses on sun glasses open your iris and then loads of UV gets into your eyeballs from the open sides. Shocked
snow report
There is a lot you can do to help yourself.

Don't get snow on the lense if poss. Clean it off with the proper rag...and keep the lense clean and clear. DON'T pull the goggles up onto your hat as this will fog them straight away. Don't get smears on the lenses and avoid scratching the lense.

Dry them overnight ..but don't melt them. Some of the demist coatings work ok, IMV but don't overload it.

All straight forward stuff.

If you get too hot, pack the Goggles away in the proper cloth bag and use sunglasses.
ski holidays
Quote:

pack the Goggles away

in your bum bag. wink
snow conditions
I know this thread is old(ish), but i thought I'd resurrect it rather than start another.

I'm off in just over 2 weeks, and it's only just dawned on me how soon that is, along with the fact I need to get stuff sorted (didn't help that I'd had serious second thoughts about going), and in particular goggles.

Now I've come across a pair of my sisters goggles for low light conditions which fit perfectly so they are coming with me, tho I'm not sure how good they are, so I am looking for something for the brighter days.

I've tried on several brands and styles, and the A-frames came out the comfiest, I just don't have a clue which lens to go for, do I go for a mid-range one like the pink iridum or VR28 to suit pretty much all conditions in case the others turn out to be no good, or do I go for a sunny weather lens like the black or fire iridium? With all these lenses it's way too confusing for a noob like me!
snow conditions
go for the mid-range. I have a few pairs of goggles with 'bright sunny day' lenses and never use them. sure they are good when you are out in the open, on a bright sunny day, but i always seem to end up skiing in the trees at some stage, and late in the day you find some runs are in the 'shadows' of whatever, and then you find out that those goggles are too dark to see !!!
snow conditions
Goggles are most use when the light is bad.... so I would cover bad light first.... and you'll find lense that lets in maximum light for the flat light days will also let in too much light on brighter days...and you probably will not be able to wear them anyway because of that..sunny days can be covered by sunglasses.
Ideally you need 2 sets of lenses to cover this..hence the interchangable lenses idea...but protect the lenses very carefully..there is not much point have a great flat light lense with scratches on it...

I would take the pr you have and see how they work in the resort...you'll get some idea of the light bias and then buy the best pr you find to compliemnt them...
snow report
Sitter, Which resort are you off to?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not sure which resort yet, don't find that out until after training which is another reason for wanting to get the goggles sorted before I go as I don't know what may or may not be on offer in resort (plus the crappy exchange rate). Looks like I'll prob go with a mid-range.
snow report
Pink iridium is not great for bright light - I have a pair for low light, but end up squinting when the sun comes out. I'm a big fan of Oakleys but last season mostly used a pair of Alpina Quatroflex for all conditions, the contrast in low light is stunning but still dark enough for bright sun. Only downside is they did mist up in particular conditions (fine in the warm or very cold but somewhere in between was not quite so good) but they're cheap enough that it didn't matter
ski holidays
I have got Oakley A-frames with Persimmon, Black Iridium and Clear lenses, they seem to cover all light conditions for me.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated! Gonna get myself a set of a-frames with the blue iridium lens which should mean I'm covered for all conditions.
snow report
Sitter,

Have only just seen this thread and only read the first couple of contributions.

Will you always be using the goggles in all types of light? If yes then you need interchangeable lenses and carry them with you on the slopes.

Personally I wear sunglasses in good sunny conditions. I wear yellow lens glasses when it's cloudy and the light is "flat", yellow, orange or pink lenses bring out the contrast in flat light. I only use yellow lens goggles when it is snowing (when it's also cloudy and the light is flat). Goggles aren't a fashion item they are to helpyou see when the lighting is poor.

What do blue iridium lenses do? If ithey make things look darker then they are only useful in sunny conditions.

To reduce fogging you need a double glazed lens with ventilation holes in the front and around the top and bottom of the frame. This forces cold air through the inside of the goggle when you're moving to keep the inside clear.
snow conditions
Get the goggles that look the sexiest. I suggest Scott or Oakley.
latest report
welshflyer, they're for 'changing conditions' according to the lens chart (http://www.steptoes.co.uk/oakley-snow-goggles/lenschart/0.html), which I thing looks like they'll cover whatever the existing yellow lens goggles I have won't. Got sunglasses already, but not overly keen on skiing in them as my eyes tend to water fairly easily whenever I've been cycling in them, so I'm anticipating the same with skiing.
ski holidays
I haven't got expensive goggles, being only a holiday skier, but last year I accumulated a pair with yellowy lenses as well and tried them on flat light days when they might just have had the edge over my non-yellow ones. However, I am a spectacle wearer and although my goggles are OTG ones I have large lenses in my specs and they are not that comfy, I also find the combination tends to fog more as well. I have a box of contact lenses and have skied perfectly happily with these and goggles, but need to carry non-prescription sunnies for sitting outside restaurants when to use goggles looks a bit odd. However, out of preference unless the weather is really cold and evil I tend to ski in prescription sunnies and carry prescription clear lenses for use inside restaurants. Sunnies seem prefectly OK for skiing in (and I guess that would follow even for non-prescription ones), the only time they seem to fog or are not comfortable are on those evil weather days esp. when there is stuff falling from the sky, when the contacts and goggles and seem the best option. I think even if didn't need a prescription I wouldn't ski in goggles all the time - I don't like the lack of periferal vision that they cause, but they are the best option on foul weather days.

However, the prescription lens situation doesn't assist with packing when I need, goggles, contacts, prescription clear lens specs and prescription sunnies, and also have to carry options in pockets when I ski depending on what I start in. Even with contacts I can't guarantee that I won't lose one during the day and so tend carry specs regardless Laughing
ski holidays
Sitter, I have never been a fan of Oakley. I had like 10 goggles, all of them SCOTT. I just love them. Never ever fog up, comfy, good visibility. What else?
snow report
Just having a read of this thread and felt the urge to contribute... not to write anything remotely useful, but there you go.

Before my first skiing holiday (when i didn't want to spend much on equipment incase I hated it), i went to Blacks for some goggles. There was a pair of cebe that had a barely visible scratch on the inside so i got them for £15 instead of £25. They have served me well for years, never fog up, have survived numerous crashes and cope well in all lights.

I guess what I'm saying is that (in my experience) cost is not everything. Cheap goggles are perfectly capable of doing as good a job as expensive ones - you don't need to spend lots of dosh to get decent goggles. However, they look cheap and absolutely hideous and i look like a right berk in them, so this year am planning on splashing out on something a bit more snappy looking. Some Scott, Smith or Oakley probably.
latest report
Megamum,

I have the same problem as you do. I'm short sighted, astigmatic and have to us reading glasses.

Only for skiing I use soft contact lenses but they don't fully correct my astigmatism. However it means I can use good skiing sunglasses, goggles or yellow lens glasses depending on the weather/light conditions. Also I don't have problems with fogging which always happens with glasses under OTG goggles.

The only problem I have is I can't read the restaurant menus because I haven't any reading glasses to go with my contact lenses. Yes it's a pain having to take a zillion pairs of eyewear, lenses cleaning solutions, mirrors so I can put my lenses in etc.
latest report
Sitter,

Everyone now seems to be wearing sunglasses which are fashinable rather than practical.

My Oakley sunglasses are 5 years old (old fashioned?). However they have wrap around lenses to keep out the wind which is necessary because I wear contact lenses (they float around if my eyes water).

I do have a problem cycling in the colder weather because my contact lenses don't correct my astigmatism sufficiently enough for me to use them for cycling. My prescription glasses let the wind into my eyes and they water and therefore I'll just have to cycle more slowly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy