Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Austria the best overall European ski destination?

Poster: A snowHead
The largest English Glacier, South Georgia, could be very big in the near future!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The skiing on the glacier at Val D'Isere is limited, but more interesting than most.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimSearle wrote:
The largest English Glacier, South Georgia, could be very big in the near future!

Except that its British, not English, and the lift infrastructure currently consists of waiting for the Navy to come by twice per year with HMS Endurance and its Lynx helicopter. Plus the glaciers in the British Antarctic Territory are bigger by some considerable margin rolling eyes

Been there, seen it, but haven't skiied it, unfortunately...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo wrote:
DB, My name is not Michael Fish. Google.

Austria used to have a larger share of the market than France. Poor snow was the factor that boosted the stations de ski. Prices and popularity of DIY holidays has renewed interest in Austria.

All my skiing other than one week has been done in the last eight years. Always planned to ski France when conditions were better there than here in Austria. I can remember seasons when conditions were either simultaneously good or bad in both countries but in the last eight years I can't remember a time when one was significantly better than the other for the whole season. Austria tended to experience more short periods where snow was better than France. Was it really that much different decades ago? The real differences have tended to be Europe v USA & Canada.

The Austrians have heavily invested in lifts and esp. snow making facilities in recent years.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For all-round holiday experience - Austria would probably win against France. I think Switzerland might edge it though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Latchigo, this is true although there were other factors... tour ops could make more money ramming punters into rabbit hutch apartments so pumped up France, Austria was slow to update infrastructure like lifts, snowmaking, rental. Does it matter which is best?

If you have skied both places you can make your own mind up. If you have never skied before it might help you decide where to go.

It makes a change from all the threads on the economy, but it has been discussed on Snowheads many times before, along with Europe versus North America.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
... never been ( to be rectified this season) ... but they speak German so behind everywhere else ...

..steps back wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never had a problem getting a holiday flat in Austria for the exact dates I want (meaning not Sat to Sat). Not so elsewhere. This is a big plus in my book (as is the generally lower cost and larger size of said holiday flat).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
France as a whole has better terrain and bigger resrorts but most of them look like a 70's goverment housing project with smaller rooms and it is expensive!!!

Austria has more charm, better value and you can find exactly what you are looking for if you pick the right resort. Plus it has the (Excuse the spelling)Moosvwiger in St Anton Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the days of the Great British Piste Basher, when these things were important, the Frenchman in his station de ski could turn to the Austrian and say :-

'I could not help noticing that I have considerably more kilometres of piste than yow.'
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ordhan wrote:
(Excuse the spelling)Moosvwiger in St Anton

If you spell it like you say it after a few hours in the Mooserwirt then the spelling is spot on. snowHead

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/Ski_Resorts/Austria/St_Anton/Apres_Ski/index.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
Yes, no contest.

surely it gets -50 points if stanton goes there Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latchigo wrote:
In the days of the Great British Piste Basher, when these things were important, the Frenchman in his station de ski could turn to the Austrian and say :-

'I could not help noticing that I have considerably more kilometres of piste than yow.'

Who wants pistes? gimme powder and offpiste (e.g. St Anton) - must visit La Grave one of these days though.

....... but what type of French stereotype are you
http://www.leapfrog-properties.com/french_stereotypes/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:
but they speak German so behind everywhere else

Ah, but you forget to mention that they happily speak English too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elizabeth B, .. well that puts them one ahead of me wink

DB, Worth a thread of its own .. Im an Onion Seller
ski holidays
Some interesting articles I found on why Austria went out of fashion with the brits during the 80s.

This is from 1999 but still relevant info
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_/ai_n14268615

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/austria-for-serious-skiers-there-are-plenty-of-snowsure-glaciers-397990.html

Looks like currency rates played a part and the lure of bigger modern french resorts. Currency no longer an issue as both eurozone, austria does seem cheaper and the infrastructure is now pretty modern. You can now even use plastic to pay for things.
ski holidays
Personally I prefer Austria to France too for the overall ski holiday experience. I've been to Austria twice so far, both times to quite smallish less well known resorts which were part of a bigger area which was lovely. I haven't been since March 2007 which was a bit on the poor side for natural snow cover but I have to say the snowmaking was excellent considering. So can't wait to get back there Toofy Grin Going to St Anton in Jan-thought I'd try one of the big resorts this time with plenty of off piste and pistes to ski on. wink Toofy Grin

Is it me or do other people find the accomodation to be nicer overall and more spacious for the same money in Austria as what you would pay in France or am I imagining it? And the single supplements are far more reasonable if payable at all? And more of the hotels have wellness areas for the same money? Again perhaps it's me and I'm imagining it. Puzzled

I love the Austrian food as well-always nice big portions of good stuff. Yum Toofy Grin
snow report
add to the list - willingness to speak English (and before I get shot down in flames for being typical Brit abroad I can speak fairly decent German) NehNeh
snow conditions
Don't you need special winter tyres and some special insurance to go skiing in Austria Puzzled

wink
latest report
Boredsurfing, No special insurance that I know off? Not sure about the tyres as the public transport is so good I wouldnt bother driving
snow report
waynos wrote:
You can now even use plastic to pay for things.

I did quite like the old aluminium coins (I guess that's what they were made from?). Didn't weigh your pockets down.

Austria or Switzerland come first for me. Only a 5 hour drive to the nearest good resorts instead of 7 to the nearest French resort. 5 hour drive is of the same order as a getting to/from airports and checking in etc. Switzerland top for food imho unless your allergic to cheese. France is good if you don't mind taking out a 2nd mortgage to buy the bottle of water that was filled from water that came out of the mountain you're skiing on.

Definitely want to do St.Anton and/or Ischgl this yr, and probably occasional weekends at Mayrhofen/Zillertal Arena. Will sort out bashes first, then fit everything around that.
snow report
Ordhan wrote:
Quote:

Austria was slow to update infrastructure like lifts, snowmaking, rental

You obviously have not been recently?

The important word in there is "was". I go there all the time.
ski holidays
andy, I just realised where you are starting your drive from ...! Razz

Quote:
Switzerland top for food imho unless your allergic to cheese

..shouldnt that read ...if you're addicted to cheese .. otherwise youll starve! I love the country but their food was awful when I stayed there last winter.
latest report
Quote:

Quality of skiing
Value for money
Transfer Time
Snow History
Length of season
Hospitality of locals
Passion for skiing
Teaching
Attractiveness of resorts
Standard of resort Accomodation and food

Personal opinion on these a lot vary more between resorts within a country than between countries But

Quality of skiing
I would put Switzerland top though this varies more than any other.
Value
Yep Austria wins on that one.
Snow History
Dunno, some low Austrian resorts had a pretty torrid time in the late 80's from memory though Arlberg seems better than most so do odd 'snow holes' elsewhere. (La Ros anyone)
Length of Season
Dunno Scandinavia doesn't seem bad for non glacial places.
Hospitality
Maye Austria though to genreralise, small resorts better than big anywhere.
Skiing Passion
Yeah probably Austria.
Teaching
Good and bad anywhere I've certainly had poor lessons in Austria.
Attractiveness
Switzerland for me.
Accommodation and food
Austria for accommodation Italy for food Switzerland for a compromise of both.
Transfer time
Well from Scotland apart from domestic skiing Switzerland is best then France then Austria.
snow report
Agenterre, far be it from me to defend Switzerland, a country which I find it easy to dislike, but it does have some great grub, although probably not in its ski resorts (which are not a fair test of any country's cuisine, with some worthy exceptions).
latest report
richmond, It must just be my taste ..

superb dairy and cow products but I hate it and I must have spent 6-12 months plus there in the last couple of years not just Saanenland but Ticino , Valais , Vaud, Geneva and Zurich as well. Its the lack of veggies and salad stuff that did my head in last winter . I found myself trying to get to Migros as it opened to get the best available before it ran out!
-- Ill shut it now, sorry all ... interesting reading about Austria and skiing, I'm creating an unnecessary diversion !
snow report
NON! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Kruisler, JA! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not the most accessible of places compared to France & Switzerland where long weekends skiing everyday are easily achievable.
snow report
After quite epic trips in last 3 years to Lech/Arlberg/Innsbruck, various places in the Tux/Zillertal Valley and Ischgl, I'm hooked. Lots of regular, deep pow, huge off-piste areas with great terrain, some wonderful pistes - unbeatable really. Only really seen busy pistes in St Anton, and lift systems are excellent.

Value for money is unbeatable too. Beer/food prices on par/lower than what I pay in a mid-market US/Canadian ski hill, some good local wines/beers, accommodation good quality with wellness areas really appreciated, and the funniest apres imaginable. And lift tickets are a bargain, esp compared to major North American ski hills.

I'd love to return to the Val D'Iseres, 3 Valleys and Verbier's of this world, but it's not top of my list. Crowds, prices and hoardes of British tourists don't appeal. I'd rather hit somewhat 'off-beat' places like Serre Chevalier, La Ros, Gressonay, and no doubt a few more I'm still to discover. But right now, too many must-do places in Austria with snow records that are enough to entice me over from North America
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Not the most accessible of places compared to France & Switzerland where long weekends skiing everyday are easily achievable.
Sorry but that's tosh. The top French resorts (apart rom Cham) are long transfers whereas Austria's top places are generally 1-1.5 hours.
ski holidays
No.

Switzerland is the best overall.

Austria is full of pikeys and dungeons.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
fatbob wrote:
Sorry but that's tosh. The top French resorts (apart rom Cham) are long transfers whereas Austria's top places are generally 1-1.5 hours.

Flights into Innsbruck and Salzburg don't seem to be as numerous nor as conveniently timed for work/fly/ski/fly when I last looked whereas this is easy into Lyon, Geneva, Basle, Zurich. In France this gives you PDS, Grand Massif, Megeve/les Cont, Cham & all the Oisans areas pretty easily.

Someone find me convenient and well-priced flights into Innsbruck and I'm more than happy to give it more of a go.
snow report
Ordhan wrote:
Quote:

Austria was slow to update infrastructure like lifts, snowmaking, rental

You obviously have not been recently?

He said was!

That may well have been a major part of the reasons why France became more popular. But most Austrian resorts now have modernised pretty well.
snow conditions
DB wrote:

Italian Glaciers
==========
Breuil-Cervinia
Passo Tonale
Val Senales

I actually stayed (pretty well accidentally) in Val Senales for a night last week - but didn't ski, although it was open, and the thunderstorm we had at valley level as we arrived almost certainly meant freshies on the Glacier.

Unfortunately, that was the night I was rather unwell (I wasn't exactly well for any of the trip, but that was the worst night.)
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Flights into Innsbruck and Salzburg don't seem to be as numerous nor as conveniently timed for work/fly/ski/fly when I last looked whereas this is easy into Lyon, Geneva, Basle, Zurich. In France this gives you PDS, Grand Massif, Megeve/les Cont, Cham & all the Oisans areas pretty easily.

Someone find me convenient and well-priced flights into Innsbruck and I'm more than happy to give it more of a go.

Best gateways for many Austrian resorts aren't in Austria... eg. Munich and Zurich. More flights than you can shake a stick at.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
fatbob wrote:

From where?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

Best gateways for many Austrian resorts aren't in Austria... eg. Munich and Zurich. More flights than you can shake a stick at.

These are the gateways I use for Austria but in terms of convenience they are less convenient than Geneva, Lyon etc. for the majority of French resorts.
snow report
Easy jet are doing quite a few flights to Innsbruck from Gatwick, Liverpool and Brsitol - so easilly reachable from Wales (apart from Gatwick perhaps). Friedrichshafen is a good one for Arlberg area - good road and train links. Ryanair go there but only from Dublin and Stanstead

What I find quite amazing about this post is that the majority prefer Austria, yet the majority of Brits do go to France. Keep it that way!
snow report
Weekend in Jan at random - easyjet lgw-inn

Fri latest flight out 12.15

Sun latest rtn 16.20

Not ideal for the weekend warrior.

compare to timetables for gva etc which give 2 full days skiing and require v little time off work on the Friday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy