Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

kitzsteinhorn - Kaprun

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have just heard today that we are going to be filmed on the Kaprun glacier skiing for an ITV programme. I have been up there many years ago but I just was wondering what the skiing is like and what runs you would recommend.? They seem to be mainly blues and reds- are they easy blues or reds?

I know we might be skiing there at all unless they get some more snow- they need 60 cm and they have 11 cm at the moment!! Although it has forecast rain here for the next week so it will be snow up there. They want to film us on the weekend of the 27th /28th so I hope it will be open by then. We do have 3 glaciers that are 46 mins away from us but the Moelltaler glacier at Flattach is shut due to building work but I think the dachstein glacier is due to open after the 20th September. So I hope we gets lots of snow next week.

Nigel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is quite a good variety of skiing on the glacier, and a lot depends on how far down the runs are open.

If you take the cable car up from the Alpin Centre, then you can ski a short black run (often mogully) to the botom of the small funicular they have there. There is also an itinary route there which is of black standard.

If from the Alpin Centre you take the chair, there are a few nice runs down to the bottom of the other chair (sorry, can't remember names) that starts from the base of the ski area on the LHS as you look up the mountain. If you can ski down to Langweid, then the reds down there are good, and again, if there is snow there is another itinary route (I'm guessing there may not be if they are struggling at the moment.

The T-bar served runs are the ones that are what I would normally expect on a glacier - fairly straight forward. These are the ones that they use for race training.

There is also an excellent snow park at Kitz.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yesterday I read about opening dates on german speaking alpinforum.com for the Kitz.

It varies a bit, but out of the last 5 years, only 1 year they weren't able to open by the last weekend of September. (That year it took until mid-october)
Good news for me as i'm going to be up there from the 11th of October.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

Any one knows where there is a good on-line piste ski map of he glacier??

We have heard today the glacier is opening tomorrow so we will be skiing there on Saturday.

Can't wait!!!

Nigel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
djfletcher, I skiied the Kitzsteinhorn in April 07 - I felt they were easy blues and reds. We didn't ski the black run down from the funicular as there was bare rock showing through. If you can ski down to Langweid the red no. 11 on the piste map above is nice one, but as it's the only route down, other than the lifts, it gets very chopped up quite early in the day and I didn't find it enjoyable. If you're going to do that one best do it as one of your first runs, then take the cable car down at the end of the day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
djfletcher, what's the programme? An updated version of "On the piste?"
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
djfletcher, In August the only area open was the very top ie run 1 down as far as the join with run 4, and the runs numbered 4. Would imagine they will need a lot more snow to open up much more than that.

Hope it arrives! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
djfletcher, what's the programme? An updated version of "On the piste?"

The programme is called 'No place like home'. Its where they give us a trail run back living in the uUK
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
djfletcher wrote:
The programme is called 'No place like home'. Its where they give us a trail run back living in the uUK

Nigel, how did you get yourself on the programme and what do you think about going back home? You've been out in Austria a while right? You'll have to let us know when it's on.

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kersh wrote:
djfletcher wrote:

Nigel, how did you get yourself on the programme and what do you think about going back home? You've been out in Austria a while right? You'll have to let us know when it's on.

Cheers
Kersh

Hi Kersh,

We heard from a friend in the UK about the programme. They did 3 pilots last year. So I found the TV company and e-mailed them about the programme and it just so happened that they were doing the programme again this year. There have filmed 30 programmes.

We then had to send them a questioner, and then they phoned us up and then I had to record a recce tape. which was shown to ITV and then finally we were picked to be filmed. They spent 3 days here last weekend and filmed us at the spa (bad hofgastein) and skiing on the glacier(see snow reports) and walking,etc -over 40 hours of film. We then go to the Uk for 8 days next week to be filmed for the 2nd part of the show.

We have been in Austria for 3 years and there are certain things we miss about the uk- belonging,friends,etc.

Nigel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds good! Any ideas when it will be on? Looking forward to seeing it! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy