Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggest me a family European resort

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for your guidance everyone, i'm searching for the holy grail.

In selecting a resort I would like nursery slopes that are next to the town, shortish transfer, a recommended ski school, reasonable prices for lunch and beers etc and a good snow record.

I look forward to your suggestions.

PS I dont want to go to Bulgaria.

wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ian bloomfield, look no further than La Rosiere, the only box it doesn't tick is shortish transfer but then no Haute Tarentasie resort offers that unless you travel by train.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David L, you are clearly a staunch advocate of La Ros are you the Tracks Vacations guy?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David L, Spot on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ian bloomfield-->David La Rosiere. I don't know, the resort may well fit your requirements but I am sure if short transfers are what you are looking for someone will have a suitable resort for you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David L wrote:
ian bloomfield, look no further than La Rosiere, the only box it doesn't tick is shortish transfer but then no Haute Tarentasie resort offers that unless you travel by train.

Hmm. I'm sure if I think hard enough I can remember hearing about a European resort outside of the Tarentasie. I'm sure it'll come to me soon rolling eyes

Zell am See is a good option, although the town has accommodation spread out, so you need to look for something handy to the lifts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Gets.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ian bloomfield, when are you thinking of travelling?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, This holiday will be departing Jan17/18.

I've done Morzine several times and thus have been to Les Gets, are the nursery slopes located down to the town there? at morzine they are after the bubble, ie half way up.

There used to be several owners hawking their places on here, has that stopped since last Winter. tracks vacations site looks nice, anyone been there?

If any owners want to PM me that'd be great (4 adults and 4 kids 13,6,6,5). Got to say though the available budget aint what it used to be Mad Dont suppose I'm alone on that one.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ian bloomfield, there are nursery slopes down in the town in Les Gets - it would probably be a good bet for you, actually. I liked La Rosiere, too (been there twice), though never been to Trax vacations. However, although I don't know Austria well, having only skied in two resorts there, people say that it's usefully cheaper than France for beers, food etc. Within France you could have a look at Valmorel (though it's not super short transfer).

Les Saisies has everything on your list except a "recommended ski school" but private lessons are very reasonable especially in the low season.

The best way to make the budget go further, obviously, is self catering. Many resorts have apartments close enough to go home to for lunch, and for mega-cheap supermarket beers from the fridge. Buying lunch on the slopes for a family, however reasonable the prices, is pretty ruinous if you're on a tight budget.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yes Les Gets has nursey slopes down to the road and is around an hour from Geneva.

I've been with Tracksvacations to La Ros last year, it'd be fine for your needs, but it's a big transfer, with a real twisty final climb up from the valley floor to La Ros at 1800m.

Another option is to fly into Chambery, which reduces transfer times. Your going on a real "off peak" time, so something like Courchevel maybe worth a look, fantastic nursey slopes, and a bubble with different stages which our kids were skiing from age 4 upwards....

La Tania has a free drag lift with nursey slopes outside the main complexes, but after that one run is mastered, you need to get over to Courchevel for more green runs.

La Plagne main area has nursey slopes around the village area.

regards,

Greg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ian bloomfield, puy saint vincent in the Haute Alpes.The company www.snowbizz.co.uk the children will do well here. NO WALKING INVOLVED!!!Its a great family resort,plenty of variety for all abilities and it is very reasonably priced once you get there.Ring them up as they have some FREE child places in January.I have been several times with them as have a few other :sH:If it appeals and you need more info just PM me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
St Sorlin d'Arves, St Jean d'Arves, Valloire, Valmienier, all Family resorts and all a short drive from Chambery (90mins), all are built in sympathetic savoyard style and have lots of intermediate pistes. All have reliable snow is all but the warmest conditions and all reasonably priced, although with the £ buying E1.17 no where is gonna be cheap anymore.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its not so much being on a tight budget......just feel the urge not to go too large this year, obviously need to hold some back for the gentlemen's tour aswell Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Places we have enjoyed with adults and kids both beginners and more competent include:

Morillon - Stay at 1100 les Esserts for the nursery slope convenience and the best green for progression on the planet in my view (Marvel 5km of a bit of everything) Short transfer from Geneva, Grand Massif has good snow record and plenty to keep the more able occupied. Only ESF based there I think with whom we've had mixed experiences ( 2 x very good, 2 x less so) but last time did an engagement arrangement for 6 with ESI 360 based in Samoens which was only marginallly more expensive than standard group lessons and was fabulous. Eating out is limited and so so on the price front.

Oz en Oisans for alpes d'huez. - Not too far from Grenoble. Nursery slope with magic carpet, the greens for progression are a gondola away in ADH. ESF were good here and there were 18 of us so got a fair cross section of instruction. Didn't eat out much and can't remember cost but was a terrific mountain restaurant (Les Oreilles?) at Vaujany - a gondola in the other direction to ADH and reasonably friendly skiing.

le Grand Bornand (Le Chinaillon)- I think among the shortest transfers from Geneva but could be wrong, in any event it's not far. Great value for money on ski pass, kit and eating out - even up the mountain . Very friendly and pretty. Can't remember the nursery slopes. I've done a report in the trip report section.

St Gervais - We're spending the coming season here so must have liked it! Stay at Le Bettex for the nursery slopes. Los and lots and lots of easy progression pistes (the more experienced may find it a little tame overall) We used an English couple for lessons who were excellent with the kids.

Les Deux Alpes - Yes really! maybe not family friendly in the traditional sense but good value for money on the food front as there's so much competition, lots of non -ski activity, not far from Grenoble and then there is Easiski, who in terms of teaching I'd like to clone and put in every resort.

We've always self catered and not gone out much so with the exception of LDA none of these places are very big on apres which I'd guess with 4 kids isn't a mojor isssue.
snow report
what about heights though. the original enquiry mentioned "good snow record". is les gets a good bet as its low. I have been there and know it but i am not sure about spending several thousand on a family holiday to somewhere where the snow might not be good. any opinions ?
ski holidays
I agree with La Rosiere, we flew to Chambery and the transfer was OK - Les Gets is also good and fits the bill but I would only go there last minute when I was sure of the snow cover as it is quite low and although it's quite easy to get to Avoriaz etc for a family holiday trolling round on buses is a bit of a trial.

What about Montgenevre?
snow conditions
Saalbach,
1 hour transfer
Chalets/Club Hotels/4 star hotels with great facilities/ pensions
Great little town
good ski schools
Nursery slopes right at the bottom of the lifts
Cheap as chips
latest report
Most places mentioned seem to be in France.

Obertauern hits most of your criteria very well though.
ski holidays
Oz en Oisans every time
Nursery slopes in resort, skiing up to 3300m, great mountain restaurants (though not all!), and a cute village you can ski right back to
1 hour transfer from Grenoble airport
Most accommodation is within a minute or two of the lifts
New swimming pool for the little uns.
Not that cheap, but not stupid prices either
On the downside, the nightlife is limited, though I do understand a couple of extra bars have opened, but its not a Val D'Isere!
The rather basic looking oz en oisans website will get you cheaper deals (http://www.oz-en-oisans.com/). For a catered chalet, try http://www.chilledmountain.com/ or http://www.chaletfinder.co.uk/viewproperty.htm?pid=27610 (self catered and catered)
You can also go for the chaletdesneiges appartments, which are nice, and have access to a swimming pool. (www.chaletdesneiges.com)

Wherever you go, enjoy yourself. I've already started doing my snowdance for the season!
snow report
ian bloomfield wrote:
David L, you are clearly a staunch advocate of La Ros are you the Tracks Vacations guy?

On another thread...
David L wrote:
FastEddie, either www.tracksvacations.com or www.morealps.com

I reckon Alp d'huez would suit you - there are a mass of nursery slopes right next to the town and the elevation is high enough to be snowsure. A large town with sports centre, swimming pool etc etc but not the prices of the Tarentaise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy