Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fastman's DVD

Poster: A snowHead
little tiger, As if, i'll let my mind and body decide whether to battle for what makes me happy.

I would rather pay a shrink to the subscribers than pay for this kind of tosh. Sorry, nothing personal 'Fastman', but i see things in a 'Darwinist' way. Good job.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, love the website baby...

"when a group of pissheads come together at least their boots will fit"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, yeah there was plenty of talent around.... but I could not get up the balls to ask if we could film them because they ski so badly....Sometimes the look on Fastman' face was classic.... He would be waiting for them to go past with this really puzzled look on his face....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, yeah there was plenty of talent around.... but I could not get up the balls to ask if we could film them because they ski so badly....Sometimes the look on Fastman' face was classic.... He would be waiting for them to go past with this really puzzled look on his face....

The best bit is that from their conversations and attitude you can be pretty sure they think they ski pretty well.... hence why I could not bring myself to ask them if we could use them as examples of bad skiing..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger, you could have asked them to participate as an example of 'their current level of skiing'. Or even told them you were looking for acomplished skiers ?

Well done - I like the look of the bits Ive seen so far Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lampbus, they might have got mad if they saw the video and they looked foolish.... I am just a big chicken I guess Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got the first 2 DVD's in pre-sale form, but haven't had time to look at them. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I'm just trying really hard to get the new look website up and running, and that's taking all my time. Work is hectic too. I'll post again as soon as I get a chance to peek. Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What I've got are the basic balance and basic edging vids. I've managed to watch the first third of the basic balance, and it looks really good so far. Very clear about how, what, when, why as you'd expect, and also about follow-up. Of course there will eventually be the more advanced DVDs as well. I'm actually very impressed with the professionalism of the production, especially when you consider that neither Fastman not Little Tiger had any experience of this sort of thing before. It's really very slick! Very Happy Most of the stuff I've seen so far has been discussed on here before, but now you can see what's being talked about as well as read it.

So far, so good.

I believe the DVDs are actually being copied now, and that the artwork for the covers is finished and so on, so it won't be long now before you can actually order them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They're ready, and I hear that 2 snowheads have already ordered the first 2 pack of basic balancing and edging. I won't embarass them by saying who they are. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not embarrassed to say that I'm ready to order, if someone posts the details.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Skiing_Video_DVD.html

There is info there about all the DVDs ....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
little tiger, thanks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely time for a bump on this!

As Santa failed miserably to read my instructions to him for a suitable Xmas present, I ended up having to buy these for myself - but the upside of this was that the 3rd DVD was then available - "Advanced Balance" to go along with "Basic Balance" and "Basic Edging". So having had a bit of time to watch them a couple of times and try putting some of the ideas into practice on the snow, it's probably time for a review. I'll just treat the balance discs here, and handle the edging one later.

First off, the philosophy. As indicated above, the discs are essentially lists of drills training you in progressively more challenging balance skills, with between 60 and 90 mins of drills on each disc. The idea is that as you master the increasing levels the foundations on which the rest of your skiing is built become stronger. This makes for a pretty heavy watch - there's not a lot of relaxation, and some will consider it a bit dry. But it's all gold - master what he shows you and you will be a better skier. The progressive organisation of the drills is clearly very carefully thought out - each drill is a natural progression from the previous one and leads naturally into the next one. The idea is to master one before moving onto the next: this is almost certainly the right way to approach it, but for those who doen't get the opportunity to get onto the hill every day that could get a bit frustrating - and maybe even a bit demoralising as progress may be a bit too slow to retain interest. I'd suggest a slightly more flexible approach and iterate around selected drills - get the gist of one and then keep refining and practicing it while starting to get to grips with the next one.

All the drills are also subdivided into a number of variants - a single turn starting facing down the hill (a J-turn), then starting in a traverse (C-turn) and then starting to link as series of turns. Some also have a static exercise to start with to get the basic idea without having to worry about turns at all. This is an excellent approach and really allows you to concentrate on getting the feel of the skill without worry about excessive speed, or committing to awkward slope angles. Where there's a particular tip or trick you need to know that is key to getting the drill it's explained, and on occasion a demo is given of getting it wrong. This last bit is magic, and I would actually have liked to see a bit more of it - and maybe they're just a bit too extreme, examples of getting it mildly wrong would probably have been even more useful.

The first disc starts off with the very basic - equipment alignment, balancing over your feet, and then to the front and to the rear/aft. There're then a number of really excellent exercises on moving around on your skis in balance (front pumps, knee bends, front pumps) and moving your balance point fore and aft during the turn. We then move on fairly quickly to one foot skiing - first a range of exercises to get you to ski on just the outside ski, and then a number to get you skiing on the inside. Finally there's a lot of exercises combining the one foot turns with differnt fore/aft positions (don't woryy as this is the "basic" DVD you only have to ski on the outside ski) - introduced by skiing with the lifted ski touching at just tip or tail during the turn (i.e. a training wheel) and progressing to skiing with it completely lifted. By the end of this, as FastMan says, you've got balance control better than the vast majority of recreational skiiers you'll see on the mountain.

The second disc continues from the first, starting with a bit of overlap: a bit of hopping, thousand steps turns and a recap of the outside ski balance stuff. Then we get more aggressive changes from ski to ski (jumps onto different edges), then more on the inside ski. Finally (the last half of the disc) we go through pretty much all the combinations of skiing on inside/outside ski and skiing fore/aft, changing the balance position during the turn at the beginning/end of each turn.

This is a great project and on the while fantastically clearly explained. The demos are all brilliantly done and it's prefectly clear what is and is not expected. There are a few criticisms though - although pretty trivial. I think that there could have been a different split between the basic and advanced - the inside ski stuff is really too advanced for the basic DVD, but the thousand steps and hops stuff probably too basic for the advanced disc. Switching those two around would probably have made for more compatible skills aquisition. I think it's also quite noticeable that FastMan has got into the stride of the commentary by the Advanced Balance DVD (actually towards the end of the Basic Edging DVD), but in the Basic Balance I have to say his delivery is a bit on the wooden side - which makes the naturally dry subject matter even tougher. Do stick with it though because this is your introduction to some of the most fundamental stuff you'll learn in skiing.

I've also been trying to think who would benefit most from these DVDs. The early exercises in the Basic Balance DVD are appropriate for anyone who's sking parallel, but whether that's enough to justify getting this DVD I'm not sure. Although leaving it later means you may have a bit of remedial action to take when you do get there. The Basic Balance DVD really should be mandatory though for anyone considering themselves intermediate or above. This really is golddust. Unless you are an accomplished racer everyone will get something out of this. The exercises lifting the inside ski in various ways will improve almost everything about most people's skiing (e.g. the Inside Tail lift will help hugely with carving, and Fore/Aft Singles is the key to engaging the ski at the transition for dynamic skiing). The second half of the Advanced Balance is certainly of relevance primarily to high level recreational skiers. The first half though (particularly those that I feel belong more to the basic DVD) would certainly be within the capabilities of the intermediate. And of course any trainee instructors/coaches will find this a goldmine of exercises to inflict on their poor unsuspecting pupils Wink .

I'm also unsure about the best way of using these. Watching from beginning to end is a bit indigestible, but gives you the big picture. You should certainly do that at least once. It's probably worth taking notes as well. I've just relied on memory of what the exercises are to replicate them, but only on rewatching the full discs have I realised I'd forgotten half of them. A list (laminated Wink ?) of the exercises in order to take with you to the hill would probably be very useful in reminding yourself of the progression and what would help you if you're having trouble with one particular one. Obviously having the disc itself on the hill is not practical, but maybe having it with you on holiday for a reminder if necessary would be useful.

For those of us who've done a bit of drilling before it's interesting to see how the progression matches the ground we've covered elsewhere - there is so much in these discs that there are naturally overlaps but also holes. There are various exercises throughout both these discs that I've been doing regularly for several years, and some I've never done before. Filling in those gaps has certainly made the stuff that I have been doing more natural, and they're good ones to step back to when the ineviatable off-day comes alonge and you need a leg up to get things moving.

But the $64,000 question - does it work? YOU BETCHA!

On my recent two week trip, I had a day free-skiing in St Anton on my changeover day. As a day off from all the guided off-piste I was doing I decided to have an on-piste day to work on some of these exercises (and to allow my legs to recover a bit rolling eyes ). First off it was tough finding a slope clear enough to work on this stuff - there are very few learners' slopes in St Anton and you need space out of crowds when you're spending so much time skiing across or up the hill. I've done a reasonable amount of one-foot skiing over the last few years so it wasn't too much of a shock, but I worked through a selection of the exercises largely in order - from the front pumps and basic one-foot carves onwards. With each run I felt it progressively slotting into place and after a couple of hours I was making moderately decent inside ski turns (mostly carved). And with another hour or so the fore/aft balance adjustments were slotting in fairly nicely too - and the feeling of freedom when I finally got to floating down the slope on one foot with the body going fore and aft in each turn was quite magic.

But that's all good for posing on training slopes - does it do anything for real skiing? Once again, YOU BETCHA! By the afternoon there were no slopes that were not mogul fields, so I just had to do them (so much for my planned easy day!). After the morning practice, I ended up skiing these waaaaay better that I ever have before. I managed a couple of pretty effective runs just on one foot (although I gave up after one run on each as my ancient knees were starting to get a bit tweaked), black moguls with no poles, and even one zipper line run when I got to the bottom and felt like I'd just floated down it. And the ultimate high - part way through the afternoon, I realised that people were stopping at the side of the slope to watch me ski it! Embarassed No, no, that must be wrong, it doesn't happen like that (outside of my fantasy life)!

But just to bring me back down to earth, the following day I was reminded how thin the veneer of competence can be and how much difference the appropriate equipment makes. For that day I'd hired some good slalom skis (Head iSL, 170cm - fantastic ski, great grip), but then went back to my own skis the following day (95mm underfoot, 185cm powder skis). Getting those on their outside edge and holding it was a totally different experience, and any delusions of competence were soon dispelled - and it was definitely back to the early exercises again. A few days later though many of the exercises were back, but they didn't half take some effort Sad . And similarly trying to replicate that performance on plastic, with only about 8m width of slope to play with and bu%%er all grip, is another experience again. But these drills definitely work, and will certainly be part of my personal armory.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 22-02-09 22:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, thanks for your (many Wink) comments. I really should get myself organised and order a set.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've enjoyed working with these too. I've been untidy, and hopped around a bit (through the exercises, that is) but the fact that they build up in stages is really a great help. It's good to have some of the exercises in your head - they're ideal to do when skiing round easy runs with friends (something I do rather a lot). I've not yet done any moguls on one foot though..... Shocked
snow report
Banana Skin TV
ski holidays
GrahamN, Great review. As you say - these exercises work - do them and you will be a better skier, as I keep trying to persuade my students! (don't always win though), but also to mention that Fastman will be coming over in June/July to do a summer camp with me based on core skills as per his and my methods of teaching.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, since you wanted to get rid of BZK why do you actually come here? You are clearly a waste of space.
latest report
easiski, do you have dates/prices/availability for that ?
ski holidays
GrahamN, i thought fat skis made skiing much easier, clearly you are still way too "last century" and havent worked out that fat skis are the way to go for any situation. wink
snow report
sugardaddy, there are 2 weeks - 20th - 27th June and 27 June - 4 July. Prices are not set 100% yet (for obvious reasons I'm not doing too much at the mo), but we're anticipating around €57pp/pn for half board at the favoured hotel (shared rooms), but this depends on how many people the french team are bringing as they'll also be there at the same time. Alternatively I want to offer s/c options which would be pretty cheap at about €100 pp/pw sharing with others. Anyway, send me an email and I'll let you know as soon as I've got it all sorted. Very Happy Max will be 16 places per week though, 8 students for me and 8 for Fastman.
snow report
Graham, thanks for the excellent and highly detailed review of the first 3 Building Blocks DVD's. I'm so glad to hear they're working for you. I've been getting much similar feedback from many others who are using the program. One guy just sent me an update video of his skiing for some MA (yes, I will do this for my Building Blocks students), and the amount of improvement is stunning.

I Know this program works. It has for me through many years of turning average skiers into experts skiers and high level racers. The question was would it work for people on a self teach basis with just the DVD's serving as the coach. I was actually quite confident that it would, given the required dedication of the student, and I'm pleased to be hearing the results, like yours, are proving right my hopes and beliefs.

You're right when you say that Buiding Blocks Basic Balance should be manditory for intermediates and above. This is how I designed the program to be used,,, from the ground floor up. Skipping ahead will limit how much success is ultimately realized, because holes in the skill base will hold the student back. As you've explained, the skills build upon themselves in a systematic manner, and lead skiers very progressively to high levels of expertise. Numerous graduated levels of success are experienced all the way through the program, and that provides the motivation to continue on.

OK, time to laugh at myself! Yep, pretty dry, the narration on that first DVD. I was trying so hard to be clear and understandable, enunciating every syllable of every word so carefully, it came out very monotone and robotic. I loosen it up in the later DVD's and speak in a more conversational way,,, and believe it or not you can still understand what I'm saying! Go figure! Laughing

Your advice to watch a DVD through once, then start working with it bit by bit is excellent. The first look will provide an overview of where the road leads, but care must be taken to not then rush to the finish. These DVD's each contain a ton of drills and learning. They represent countless on snow lessons with an instructor. Students should approach these DVD's like eating an elephant,,, one bite at a time, and chew bite thoroughly. Each new skill/drill will add to the foundation and improve one's skiing. Rather than race for the finish, take it one step at a time and enjoy the process. Before you know it your skiing will be way above where it was. This is a life sport, and every step up puts you on a higher level for the rest of your days on snow. Many stagnate on an intermediate plateau and spend all their days on skis residing there. It's just not necessary, and it's so much fun moving off it. The idea that striving to improve is laborous and drains the fun from the sport is a sentiment expressed by those who have not ventured to try, or have not had access to a program that such as this to guide them. The enjoyment that's found in the process of learning and improving is a reality that's very different.

And so glad you suggested the laminated drill cards. We've talked of doing that. Another idea we have is to provide a means to load the drills/DVD's on an Ipod so they can be taken to the slopes to be reviewed on the lift between runs. It would provide an immediate visual image of how the drill should be done, what the crucial execution elements are, what the potential mistakes might be, and how to do the fixes. We're pretty serious about making this happen, because we think it could make a huge contribution to the overall effectiveness of the training program.

Thanks again, Graham. Fantastic detailed review!!!
latest report
FastMan wrote:
Another idea we have is to provide a means to load the drills/DVD's on an Ipod so they can be taken to the slopes to be reviewed on the lift between runs.

I've done this before with other instruction DVDs and I find it useful. Fairly easy to do with a cheap bit of software (I use Handbrake) but as the author of the DVDs I think you could add DVD-ROM content to the disc in addition to the video_TS files. It would then be easy to copy the lower resolution video files to whatever software you use to load you MP3 player, iPhone, etc.
ski holidays
FastMan wrote:
Another idea we have is to provide a means to load the drills/DVD's on an Ipod so they can be taken to the slopes to be reviewed on the lift between runs.

I'm glad you've suggested that as that's what I've just done to with the Advanced Balance DVD (and excellent it is too).

Just as a word of warning though - there's something in the way that that DVD is authored that causes problems when it's converted using Handbrake - the resulting files work on iPod and in iTunes, but not in native Quicktime or on AppleTV. I've worked out what the problem is and will email you FastMan.
latest report
Just in from duplicator.... Advanced Edging DVD

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
little tiger,

Hi, I've just come across this thread this morning and am really excited. I'm a fairly decent skier but am desparate to get better and to be shown what I need to do.

How do I go about getting hold of these DVD's?

Rich
snow conditions
richie rich, www.YourSkiCoach.com snowHead
snow conditions
richie rich, Not only that but come to the summer camps! (unabashed plug) Embarassed
snow conditions
easiski, Yes! and they are advertised top of the page pam w linked to Toofy Grin

(I could not help myself... there is not much info but I added the headline and a page for it as the details settle down) Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, Just tried to skype you on Rick's no but no luck.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy