Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ASSI Course at ChillFactore cancelled

Poster: A snowHead
I've just discovered by accident Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad that the ASSI (SSE Level 2) training course I was due to attend at ChillFactore this weekend (20-21 September) has been cancelled because of lack of numbers.

Anyone else booked on this course please note!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnw, man thats a drag, didnt they tell you personally? perhaps you should book up a BASI course as i dont think SSE will be in the instructor training game much longer and it might be an idea to jump from that sinking ship. looks to me SSE is concentrating on leadership course this yer with interski...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40299&highlight=
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, I've had 3 BASI refreshers cancelled this year 'cos of lack of numbers to b wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnw, I agree with skimottaret's suggestion for you to perhaps pursue the BASI system instead. That's rubbish about UKSS not even telling you that the course had been cancelled due to low numbers! Put it this way, the last three BASI Level 1 courses that I have personally evidenced, (one of which I was on myself in June) have all been fully subscribed as far as I know.

I believe that if you are a current CI (SSE Level 1), and you qualified after 31st July 2007 then you will need to take a BASI Level 1 course to convert to BASI from UKSS.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski, hmmm, our posts have just crossed and just read yours above re your refresher. Strange how we have had very different experiences, i.e you having 3 refreshers cancelled due to lack of numbers, me seeing 3 BASI Level 1 courses on the trot that are full or nearly full. Isn't the BASI refresher same week as the Level 1's? I saw a chap last month who was on his refresher same week as the Level 1 groups I saw (2 Level 1 groups were running with two separate Trainers so they must have had a fair few people that week)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i should add that i have no wish for SSE to not run courses. My personal view is that they should focus on racing from grass roots upwards and having a training programme for club coaches, leaders, volunteers, race setters, referees etc. Low cost local courses like those are needed and keeps SSE close to those they represent. I dont think however having competing instructor pathway makes sense and hearing that they cancel a class and dont even communicate to people booked is a worrying sign of implosion.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, could be that now people who needed a refresher are taking L1 courses indoors instead as they are more readily available in the UK as a substitute. Once my time for a refresher comes up i know would rather take a MS course, coaching module, etc than a refresher...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
i should add that i have no wish for SSE to not run courses. My personal view is that they should focus on racing from grass roots upwards and having a training programme for club coaches, leaders, volunteers, race setters, referees etc. Low cost local courses like those are needed and keeps SSE close to those they represent. I dont think however having competing instructor pathway makes sense and hearing that they cancel a class and dont even communicate to people booked is a worrying sign of implosion.

I think you are right about that, it doesn't appear to have worked having a instructor training system in direct competition with the BASI system, I also think that's a valid point you've made there about the racing/coaching bit which makes sense.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
My personal view is that they should focus on racing from grass roots upwards and having a training programme for club coaches, leaders, volunteers, race setters, referees etc. Low cost local courses like those are needed and keeps SSE close to those they represent.

Agreed, but the requirement for doing CI and the hours shadowing for that (rather than shadowing race coaching) prior to qualifying for the coaching pathway put off both me and the other guy from our club. That, and a virtual/total absence of published courses meant we went for the BASI route.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, I fear you are right about the future of ski instructing (as distinct from coaching) qualifications with SSE. However, since I'm not seeking to take up instructing as a career, I don't need to go down the BASI route. I am currently a volunteer Club Instructor at my local dry slope. I do it because, since I retired, it keeps me working with people and allows me to put something back into a sport which I have enjoyed for many years, I have no ambition to teach in a resort but I would like to be licensed to teach at the intemediate level instead of just beginners.

I am loathe to spend 5 days plus a load of cash just to transfer to the BASI system at a level which, I am told, is only marginally higher than Club Instructor.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret,
Quote:

Once my time for a refresher comes up i know would rather take a MS course

Need to refresh each year, so taking another complete module too expensive time/money.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnw, I sympathise as your situation seems to be one of the unfortunates caught in the cross fire of "modernisation" perhaps a BASI L1 coach course may be suitable?

GrahamN, did you do your coach course or is it still to come?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski, is it every year ? yikes didnt know that, thought it was every three, fair enough i wouldnt do a weeks course every year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, ISIA and above every year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski,

I think it's actually 2 days every 2 years?
latest report
ski, ouch.... on the other hand when i fail this year at least i will have one good reason why passing wasnt a good thing.....
ski holidays
beanie1, ISIA mandate two days every two years. BASI allow one day each year..works out the same.
snow report
I was surprised at how expensive the BASI refresher is now. Last time I did one is was about £25 all inc. which was good value and they had a big turnout on the day.

I've done a course since so I'm not due yet, but would have done one this one this year until I saw the price.
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, Refreshers got more expensive when they all went into fridges..
snow conditions
ski, Something has changed for sure, but my last one ( £25 ) was at Tamworth
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy