Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MTBing summer 09

Poster: A snowHead
Me and a mate are looking to get some mtbing in next year some where abroad ie french alps where is the best places to go, plus if poss a bit of glacier ski-ing.

jase
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase2472, are you EVER at home? wink I don't know much about MTB but Les Gets/Morzine does seem to be very popular and well served for hurtling down slopes in mud. If you also wanted to get some skiing in, perhaps L2A Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen wrote:
jase2472, are you EVER at home? wink I don't know much about MTB but Les Gets/Morzine does seem to be very popular and well served for hurtling down slopes in mud. If you also wanted to get some skiing in, perhaps L2A Puzzled

work hard and i can't take the money to my grave wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Tignes on July 1st couple of years ago, the glacier is open in the morning, you can go mountain biking all afternoon, there's a golf course and you can mess about on the lake...happy days Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sprinkles wrote:
Went to Tignes on July 1st couple of years ago, the glacier is open in the morning, you can go mountain biking all afternoon, there's a golf course and you can mess about on the lake...happy days Very Happy

sounds like the perfect day, throw in some cheap beer and its all there Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[jase2472,

Ski/bike lifts at Tignes are usually open in July and August & a day pass for the skiing covers you for the bike lifts as well. You can also pay a few euros more to use the new leisure pool/fitness centre, which is open until evening.

First funicular is 07.15 and the ski lifts are open until about 13.00 - though (depending on how sunny it is) it can be a bit soft - but still great fun - by closing time. Bike lifts are open until 17.00. Starting this summer it was possible to take MTBs on the funicular & bike down from 3200m back to Tignes Val Claret at 2100m. Unfortunately we couldn't do this in July as the trail was closed due to it still being snow covered at the top.

Here's the link to the mountain biking info:
http://www.tignesbikepark.com/

There's some great biking and fantastic scenery - though not a huge no. of trails like there is at Morzine for example. Enough for a few days entertaining biking though - especially after a full-on morning of skiing. Some really steep and technical sections through to more mellow, easy going stuff. If you have a car it's only 30 mins to the funicular at Bourg St Maurice to access all the trails at Les Arcs.

All in all, Tignes is highly recommended for a skiing/biking combo.

If any interest in our newly refurbished studio at the bargain summer rate of £150 a week http://www.tignes.co.uk/Chalet_Club.htm just send me a PEM. The studio is 5 mins from the funicular & the town centre for bars and restaurants.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
im MTBing in spain next week
we had a good time last year
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nigel b wrote:

where you going sierra nevada, can you let me know what it is like.

cheers
jase
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One word for the alps - verbier. look at my webpage for pics of this year and last.

Far better then Morzine :FACT
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think Tignes is the only place in France you could ski too. I keep hearing that Zermatt has got its act together with the MTBing and you could ski there...
Verbier looks ace for MTBing though I haven't tried it.

Pila in Italy is fantastic but maybe not enough for a week. I was at Alpe d'huez this year for the Megavalanche and was very impressed by the trails, even though we weren't there long. It's pretty quiet though at any other time I suspect. Chatel is very good, especially nearby Pre-la-joux, so if you've got a car, the PDS is a great area in general. There's a lot of fun to be had around Avoriaz, though I personally find Morzine/Les Gets to be a bit manicured for my liking but they are very well set up for it.
Chamonix is great though I am of course biased! There's a very unfinished site here which I've been putting together with some pics
http://www.mountainbikechamonix.com/

If i had a chunk of time and wanted to do some XC I'd do the Tour du Mont Blanc - about 4 days, staying in huts, France, Italy and Switzerland. You can either DIY or go with a group. There's a few good ones doing it in chamonix, i can find the info if you like. Also I've heard that some people are starting a version of the Haute Route on bikes - nice! Finish up in Zermatt for a bit of skiing!

Depends what you want to do really. What kind of bikes? Are you after dh or xc ? When are you thinking of going? Later June or Early Sept are the best times, nice and quiet on the trails, but you need to check that the lifts you want are open.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anyone been to LDA mtbing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jase2472, yes, took our bikes out this summer....some of the trails are pretty scary Shocked , but great fun. Skiing in the morning and then mountain biking in the afternoon Very Happy . Haven't been anywhere else in the Alps mountain biking so can't compare though....we normally just go to Hamsterley Forest!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing something I said?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jase2472 wrote:
nigel b wrote:

cheers
jase

sierra nevada is one of the places ill be going but you can only go upto 2000m on a bike,its a protected area
mostly ill be near malaga/benalmadena/fuengirola area
weve got a car out there so we will go inland a bit to less known places
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nigel b wrote:
jase2472 wrote:
nigel b wrote:

cheers
jase

sierra nevada is one of the places ill be going but you can only go upto 2000m on a bike,its a protected area
mostly ill be near malaga/benalmadena/fuengirola area
weve got a car out there so we will go inland a bit to less known places

do you have the website on the place near malaga just got a text today a mate is having his stag do there next march so might fit a day on the MTB
snow report
jase2472, take a look over on singletrackworld.com

i'm a biker and use that forum and you'll get tonnes of info on there as to where is best to go.

Tignes is indeed highly regarded though.
snow conditions
heres a few
http://www.sierracycling.com/
http://www.bikingandalucia.com/mountainbiking.asp
http://www.seasonallyunadjusted.com/
http://www.mountainbikespain.com/
http://www.switch-backs.com/

sierra cycling might be the better ones to hook up with as they can do bike rental and are local to malaga,within 20/30 minutes of the airport
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy