Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glossary of skiing terms Discussion Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Skiercross Puzzled Puzzled (A discipline mentioned in latest edition of Ski & Board. I have no idea what it is. Embarassed )
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, It's a style of race in which all skiers (or boarders if it's boardercross) start at the same time and race down a course consisting of banked turns and jumps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, oh. Sounds fun. I expect skimottaret will decide whether it should be in the glossary.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Garlands...

A series of half turns across the slope. Commence in a traverse, make a half turn, continue in same direction as initial traverse, repeat.
(Before Masque argues that it is a carving drill I checked the Vail teaching handbook)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger, now, now, don't be nasty wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, just factual NehNeh
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger, may I assume that all you're describing is an edge release from traverse, letting the nose point down the fall-line a little and then resetting the edge to regain a traverse?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, no it describes them as half turns... turn is started and then not finished - skis redirected(important word) into a traverse

What you are describing they list under a 'variation' of traverse - they say "traverse-sideslip-traverse"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
little tiger, are/is the edge(s) engaged during the halt turn and into traverse?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, as I was taught them - MOST DEFINITELY .... I was first taught them in a stem christie!!!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, On a board that is extended through the traverse and into a slight uphill carve before releasing and turning back down the fall-line to repeat the full garlands and as I was taught an 'early' part of experiencing a 'carve'. It's also a very useful tool to demonstrate and learn to pedal torque the board.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, I'd hardly call the traverse of a stem christie skier a carve... Well I guess it is by the standards of some 'advanced skier' types who will do ski reviews on a skis ability to carve but are unable to initiate a clean carve from a fallline run... or even an angled traverse... rolling eyes
but seriously... that would be stretching the definition of carve to a level where you could say a snowplow skier is 'carving' because they have the edge engaged in some manner...

I spent a mass of time perfecting my snowplow wedeln at one stage... they may have been incredibly useful... but listing them as a 'carving' drill because I use my edges would be just silly!

By your definition I was 'experiencing a carve' on my first or second day on skis... because I was definitely taught a traverse then and how to use the angle to the hill to adjust speed if wanted... Sadly I could not even do a decent parallel turn for a lot longer than that...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
little tiger, on a board, the quicker you achieve balanced edge control the sooner you stop eating piste. We don't have the luxury of another leg to fall back on. Also we can achieve acute edge angles without the speed needed to do so on skis so we can experience a carved turn (more of a park and ride at this stage) far earlier and far slower than you skiers. That is part of the basic and early learning process, it does get much more complex as speed and fall-line increase.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, How come so very few boarders ever manage to carve then? I see less carving boarders than carving skiers! (and you see few enough of them)...

One 'game' we used to play at home was to look for boarders who could even TURN both directions...

I think I saw TWO boarders carving in the three months in Colorado... both were on alpine boards and rocked!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger, You can carve any old board, but most boarders never take a lesson and never get much beyond intermediate bulldozers and wanabe powder monkeys. But look at anyone in a pipe and you'll see carving edge hold and pump acceleration.
latest report
Masque, I know you can... but they don't! Some of my friends are snowboard examiners and compete in park/pipe but I'd not have said I saw a heap of carving in the park... they usually carve when they are fanging in the morning
latest report
Skiercross - A race in which all skiers start at the same time and race down a course consisting of banked turns and jumps.

GARLANDS - A series of half turns across the slope. Commence in a traverse, make a half turn, continue in same direction as initial traverse, repeat.
snow report
Javelin turns...?
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Javelin turns...?

Ski on one leg only, lift your inside leg off the snow and cross the tip of the inside sk across the outside ski. It's a drill to get you to develop good edging skills, as well as a strong, stacked position with your hips turned outside the direction of travel slightly (a 'countered' position).

Here's a video of it.
latest report
rob@rar, Yes .... I have also done a version where you ski the outside ski under the lifted inside one
snow report
JAVELIN TURNS - While skiing on the outside leg only, lift your inside leg off the snow and cross the tip of the inside ski across the outside ski until you reach the end of the turn. Then place the old inside ski down and repeat turning to the other direction. It's a drill to get you to develop good edging skills, as well as a strong, stacked position with your hips turned outside the direction of travel slightly (a 'countered' position).
snow report
COUNTER - Is a position in which the pelvis and upper body point toward the outside of the turn. Note that Counter is not a deliberate move, it happens as a result of the skier turning the skis under the body. The degree of counter is dependent on the situation the skier is in. For instance: high speed long radius turns require little or no counter to effectively carve the skis, yet skiing down a steep, narrow path the skier may end up with a large degree of counter to control their speed and line of descent.

COUNTER ROTATION - Is a turning technique in which the upper body is twisted one way while the skis are twisted the other. Overdoing counter rotation is generally not considered a good move and can result in pivoting and skidding of the skis.

ANy better??? i blame V8 for the first, slightly confusing, definition of counter. and given he has been run out of town by a few other snowHead 's he wont be moaning that i changed his definition.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 12-02-09 11:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skimottaret, wink (let me know when you want some more editing done, btw.)
snow report
skimottaret, note my comment on Javelin turns above... you can "ski into" the countered position rather than lift the foot.... just a slightly different exercise...

Ditto my comment to Hurtle in other thread ... You can drive inside hip forward in transition to deliberately create early counter....
ski holidays
skimottaret, errr, only any good if piset skiing doesn't include bumps. in which case counter becomes anticipation and is much to be wanted...???
ski holidays
under a new name, fair point.. i will get rid of the on piste reference....
latest report
Q-ANGLE - aka Quadracepts Angle, the angle that the femur (thigh) makes with the knee joint. Overly large Q-Angles can cause problems for skiers manifesting in A-Framing or knock knees and these weak body positions can be injury prone. Problems with excessive Q-Angles can be minimised if the ski boots are fitted and properly aligned.

Women typically have larger Q-Angles than men due to wider hips.
snow report
Sustrugi
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Sastrugi I believe.... we ski it most days up top at home.... ski over the sastrugi to find the stashes of windblown snow brought in from the main range.... sastrugi is good - because it is NOT green and shiny!!!
ski holidays
new ones to add...

Roller
Delta Angle
snow report
Kinnelle - Term used used when overtaken by the local kids team at full pelt!!!!
ski holidays
Swedish/Swiss (I say Swedish) - Rhythmically short turning on the tip of inner ski and tail of outer ski (with pole plant). (view)From the side forming somewhere bewteen a V-X shape with the 2 skis. Can be performed tail inner tip outer, cant recall which way is harder until I actually do it. The switch from tip to tail takes place in the transition between turns.

I have been with Swiss coaches who called this a Swedish turn, they were very good at it, completing a short turn with each ski at around 45 degree angle!

Also the 'White pass' turn. Initiating the turn on the inside edge with outer leg raised, placing outer leg down and pressurising the (outside) ski at the falline, holding this to the end of the turn then initiating on this (same) ski at the start of the new turn with new outer leg raised, again to the fall line before repeating.

After writing that its pretty confusing here is a simple explanation from epicski-
Finish a turn completely on your outside/downhill foot. Then start the next turn with only the same foot on the ground. Basically, it's a turn initiation on the outside edge of the new inside foot.

Oh and 'tic tacs' werent in there. Someone else can describe them if they like, I get tired thinking about them!

First time I have looked at the list, its great. Quite a good little revision tool!
snow report
R555MAC,

Swedish.

Someone with more brains than sense that you send down first to see is it's really as unstable as it looks.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
R555MAC,

Swedish.

Someone with more brains than sense that you send down first to see is it's really as unstable as it looks.

Scandibombs. Every resort needs a few.
snow conditions
In my continuing quest to maintain historical terminology integrity, do remember that the term was originally coined as the "White Pass Lean", named after the spontaneous recovery move executed by American ski racer Steve Mahre in a World Cup Slalom race in the early 1980's. It was quickly transformed into the balance training drill we still practise today.
snow report
I didn't see anything about dolphin turns - although they may be referred to as something completely different.

Also for the X or maybe W what is the proper name for crossed skis when someone has had a nasty tumble on the slopes and you cross the skis as a warning to others to avoid.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy