Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glossary of skiing terms Discussion Thread

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, And if indeed, 'Normal Service' has been resumed, may i add............................FISH
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret wrote:
FastMan, Thank you, and now that normal service has resumed on this channel... Laughing

Carrots - Markers used to set out training courses for ski racing. Carrots are screwed into the snow and have soft tops that if skied over will not cause a fall.

Stubbies - Short poles used to set out training courses for ski racing. Being shorter than full size poles stubbies help the ski racing athlete to get used to skiing closed race courses without having to block poles out of the way.

Carrots = brushes I think Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger, merci

Carrots - aka Brushes - Markers used to set out training courses for ski racing. Carrots are screwed into the snow and have soft tops that if skied over will not cause a fall.

Stubbies - Short poles used to set out training courses for ski racing. Being shorter than full size poles stubbies help the ski racing athlete to get used to skiing closed race courses without having to block poles out of the way.

Brushes - see Carrots
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
DaveC, i take it you are canadian qualified, wont you need a CSCF L1 at some point in your training? 0 days in gate may change to at least a couple and knowing what a hairpin is might be a good thing for you wink

I'm only a CSIA1, I'm qualified to babysit. Hopefully that'll change this season, but I've just started. I just like skiing. I'm pretty sure I'll get told "this is a hairpin" when I need to know what a hairpin is though Wink To back up my earlier point though, I've had a nightmare with my feet and SZK and CEM's "arcane boot jargon" has helped me loads. Plus, I'm capable of using Wikipedia if I get stuck.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC, Good luck with your L2! CEM has helped me as well which prompted me to put some of the "arcane" boot jargon in the glossary along with arcane racing jargon, weather jargon, instructing jargon and all the skiing jargon that has come along. I had the full bifter balance and alignment done and man there was a lot of geeky terms flying about that day (ramp angle, pronation, deltas etc....). Nothing wrong with using techy terms and i didnt look down on CEM or Andy for using them cause they knew what they were talking about. It helped me feel more confident knowing a little bit about what they were on about and that it wasnt mumbo jumbo or a lot of hot air and that what they were doing for me might actually help with my skiing Toofy Grin

I like skiing as well, and, found recently that i quite like teaching skiing as well. For me knowing how to explain something quickly, simply and clearly cause i understand a bit about it cant hurt when someone asks me a question.

I am a bit of a geek and actually read the course material before taking my CSCF course. Gave me just enough background information so that i could ask intelligent questions and helped me learn. Although not the best skier in the group the course tutor thought i was interested enough in the sport to offer me a job later. So instead of only babysitting little kids i also get to teach promising racers. Cool huh...

Absolutely not having a go or anything but do you like teaching, or is it mainly a way to fund your skiing habit and to be able to live in the mountains?

Be humble, be helpful, be knowledgeable and in the years to come you can feel good that you helped introduce people to the sport you love snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/g1cha0cmnyc

Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we have the right audience for a missing defination, anyone fancy a go at defining

SKINS - tbd
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skins:
An accent device to enable ski mountaineers/randonners/touring skiers to hike up mountains whilst still attached to skis and bindings.
Originally Seal Skin, now mixed, synthetic/natural fibres.
A device used to attach to the base of skis in order to use them to walk up hill on snow. The 'Skin' has one direction enabling them to glide on the uphill stroke and 'Bite' so as not to slip downhill thus enabling progress. The have a glued side that can attach to the skin and a skin side for friction against the Snow. The should be removed when commencing the decent, following the Banana between the carrots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, good but whats a randonner?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, More work for you i guess. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slightly edited to make more sense to us boring on piste skiers Blush

SKINS - A device used enable ski mountaineers/randonners/touring skiers to hike/slide up snow covered mountain slopes whilst remaining attached to their skis. Originally made of seal skin, now manufactured using a combination of synthetic and natural fibres. They have two sides, the one in contact with the snow has the fibers and a sticky glue is on the other side.

'Skins' are affixed to the bottom of each skis base and the protruding fibres have a "direction" retracting and flattening to the base allowing them to glide on the skiers uphill stroke and extend and bite into the snow so as not to slip downhill, thus enabling progress one step at a time whilst travelling uphill. They should be removed when commencing a major decent but can be left on for short downhill traverses.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, No Bananas? Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Banana Skins?

Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, good but whats a randonner?

I think he means randonneurs - which is merely the French for ski-mountaineers and therefore redundant in your definition.

There is, perhaps, a spot more proofing required...but far be it from me...etc etc wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, i know but was just making (a poor as it turns out) point... wink

I could use a sub-editor on this job.... wink final go

SKINS - A device used enable ski mountaineers/randonners/touring skiers to hike/slide up snow covered mountain slopes whilst remaining attached to their skis. Originally made of seal skin, now manufactured using a combination of synthetic and natural fibres. They have two sides, the one in contact with the snow has protruding fibers and on the other side is sticky glue which allows the skins to be taken on and off the base of the skis.

'Skins' are affixed to the bottom of each skis base and the protruding fibres have a "direction" retracting and flattening to the base allowing them to glide on the skier's uphill stroke, and, extending and biting into the snow when stationary so as not to slip downhill, thus enabling progress one step at a time whilst travelling uphill. They should be removed when commencing a major decent but can be left on for short downhill traverses.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, SKINNING UP - tbd
snow conditions
skimottaret, wink tbd? To be done. Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, to be done, or, to be determined

not sure which but will have to comtemplate after my bike ride
latest report
skimottaret, No worries, however in my world there is mùore than one definition for what you have asked
snow conditions
skimottaret,
Quote:

I could use a sub-editor on this job

You have only to ask. I may not be able to ski very well, but I can proof-read. Embarassed
ski holidays
Hurtle, go for it... I had you in mind for that job as my English isnt very good (not being English wink ) but thought i would wait till the list has gotten furhter along. I think we are almost almost done and dont think that there are many more uncovered Gems like "banana gates" so now is as good a time as any.

Why dont you just copy the OP, do your thing and email me the final copy to scott at skimottaret.com i can then upload to the front page.

You may be even mentioned in dispatches. Laughing

SMALLZOOKEEPER, beleive it or not two definitions in my world as well
snow report
skimottaret, OK. Give me a moment or two. Shocked
snow conditions
skimottaret, I don't like the definition of steering snowHead
latest report
veeeight, fair enough nor i..... was going to post a query on Epic about getting a definative definition of steering but as you are better known there perhaps you could have a go Laughing or better still post a question on TGR for me if you dont mind....
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
or better still post a question on TGR for me if you dont mind....

Just start this thread on TGR, and start it with what you've got so far. They'll really appreciate it and give constructive advice too.
ski holidays
DaveC, havent looked at TGR but going by reputation here they are way too cool for a gaper like me so wouldnt bother. i was making a joke with V8 i recon he got it, even us old boring stiffs can mess around occasionally. still not having a go but do you like teaching skiing or would you rather be skiing and hanging out with your TGR type mates?

I am guessing if you post on TGR and admit to being an L1 instructor "babysitter" you will be warmly welcomed. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
You seem to have a bizarre fixation on "fun" and "working as a part of the industry" as being mutually exclusive? Why on earth would a bunch of skiers care if I taught or not?
latest report
FUN - BiZARRE - FIXATION. the stuff you talk about after 'Skiiing' and not 'Before'.

The difference between 'Scared to Poor' and 'Early and Hedgehog.'
snow conditions
DaveC,
Quote:

a bizarre fixation on "fun" and "working as a part of the industry" as being mutually exclusive

WTF? Not evidenced in anything I've seen skimottaret post. Entirely in your imagination, I think.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
...... way too cool for a gaper like me so wouldnt bother. i was making a joke with V8 i recon he got it

Laughing Yes, you feckin JONG Laughing
ski holidays
DaveC, Are you back in Fernie this season? Only we'll be there mid Feb for 2 weeks.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
DaveC,
Quote:

a bizarre fixation on "fun" and "working as a part of the industry" as being mutually exclusive

WTF? Not evidenced in anything I've seen skimottaret post. Entirely in your imagination, I think.

Well, the second or third time I've been asked "do you prefer teaching OR skiing with your mates" starts to grate. It's a stupid, loaded question, and I don't understand the implication that a) there's a choice or b) it's somehow "uncool" to want to instruct/conform/whatever the actual issue is? You don't have to be a pedantic spaz to care about the sport in technical detail.

Quote:
Absolutely not having a go or anything but do you like teaching, or is it mainly a way to fund your skiing habit and to be able to live in the mountains?

Be humble, be helpful, be knowledgeable and in the years to come you can feel good that you helped introduce people to the sport you love

Seems to imply I'd instruct for the money - it pays $14 an hour. Summer IT contracting more than covers me for the ski season... and the whole "be helpful, be humble, be knowledgeable" implies that I'm not. Prefixed with the childish "no offence but" makes it even more barbed.

Quote:
still not having a go but do you like teaching skiing or would you rather be skiing and hanging out with your TGR type mates?

And again. Doesn't seem like it's my imagination that I'm being unsubtly baited. Evidenced enough, Hurtle?
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
DaveC, Are you back in Fernie this season? Only we'll be there mid Feb for 2 weeks.

Aye, all season Smile
snow report
DaveC,
Quote:

Evidenced enough

Not really. It appears clear to me that skimottaret thinks teaching is fun, but that in order to teach, one has to have some notion of the technicalities. All he seemed to me to be trying to do was to ascertain whether you felt the same way. Perhaps you're protesting a little too much?
snow report
DaveC wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Aye, all season Smile

Fancy a ski?Very Happy when you're not 'childminding' of course. wink

Is an instructor called Christian still in the ski school? He was a grade 3 last time I met him, think he's a carpenter in the summer. Local anyway.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
DaveC,
Quote:

Evidenced enough

Not really. It appears clear to me that skimottaret thinks teaching is fun, but that in order to teach, one has to have some notion of the technicalities. All he seemed to me to be trying to do was to ascertain whether you felt the same way. Perhaps you're protesting a little too much?

Or perhaps my opinion is still in line with SZK's rather than yours that this thread is a bit of a joke? Why does that mean that I don't have technical knowledge? I don't spout all day on here about IT stuff, or skiing stuff, since I don't feel the need to measure my worth in how much rubbish jargon i can regurgitate?

Apparently I've managed to get myself dragged into the typical level around here just getting involved anyway... There was a clear implication that I must instruct just for the money (not sure where that came from?), and that because I generally enjoy skiing and I'm involved in the TGR community that I have no passion for teaching.

On the plus side, I'm going to be skiing in 10 weeks Wink
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
DaveC wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Aye, all season Smile

Fancy a ski?Very Happy when you're not 'childminding' of course. wink

Is an instructor called Christian still in the ski school? He was a grade 3 last time I met him, think he's a carpenter in the summer. Local anyway.

Yeah, sure Smile I'll be online, fire me a PM on here before you arrive. Might be able to hook up staff discounts depending on what they're doing this year too. Don't remember a guy called Christian... though, I'm terrible with names.

I should probably explain I really like the childminding, the kids are awesome fun and so cool. Some of them are absolute rippers too. It's the adults that can be trouble Wink
latest report
veeeight, at someone here gets the humour wink ... i dont even look at TGR and i mananged to work out what JONG is Laughing

DaveC, grates on you huh, not much fun when you THINK that people are taking the p!ss out of you is it. Laughing Believe it or not I wasnt taking the p*ss and posed a genuine question, not a 'loaded' or 'stupid' or 'baited' one, your paranoid answers say a lot. You initially equated instructing with 'babysitting' which doesnt sound like you are too into it. If you dont need the money and are bankrolled through your IT contracting why not just go and freeride? Is the 14 bucks an hour the big draw, is it the jacket, are tufty badges important to you, or what?

And as an IT consultant where do you think all these easy to look up useful definitions come from on Wikipedia? usually written by 'pedantic spazes' in places like this...

now who sounds like a 'childish' namecaller? rolling eyes

thanks for contributing to this thread over the last few days, you have really added loads to the debate and helped out your fellow snowHead 's immensely Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
If you dont need the money and are bankrolled through your IT contracting why not just go and freeride?

Because I enjoy it. I'm lucky enough to not have to mentally justify that I find something rewarding without going on about it Smile You're the one who raised the fact I instruct like it's some great point of how awesome I am (I admit, I'm awesome, but not because of my choice of winter career). I don't particularly mention it myself, simply because I don't think it's that important. Hence the babysitting comment, which sometimes it is. I'm not afraid to be honest or self deprecating, but you seem to treat the sport like it's something to be put on a pedestal.

No loaded questions, but...

skimottaret wrote:
Is the 14 bucks an hour the big draw, is it the jacket, are tufty badges important to you, or what?

I'm going to call that an internet argument win Wink
latest report
Quote:

I admit, I'm awesome, but not because of my choice of winter career)

you can definitely call an internet argument win, How could i win against an awesome dude like you wink tell you what why dont you tootle off to the apres zone, us pedantic spastic geeks who are still here wont terribly mind, but we may miss your rapier wit, insightful commentary, helpful hints and tips...
ski holidays
Can I suggest the pair of you join the mass brawl (the Preseason Mass Snow deprivation or PMS bash) currently being organised for the ski show? Please see the thread in resorts and a couple in Apres. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy