Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

alpe d'huez helicopter

Poster: A snowHead
anyone ever taken a helicopter from alpe d'huez to les deux alpes ?? i have heard it is very reasonably priced ? just wondered how much and if it is a good option.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Just Do It"

Can't remember how much but a very reasonable 70 euro seems about right for the return and with the Visalp pass L2A is covered.

It's worth it just for the experience and being able to call out "Hurry up or we will miss the helicopter Cool "

Must pre-book before you go with the Altiport, they only operate on none transfer days, typically Mon,Tues,weds, which fits in well with mid week change of scenery. If weather is bad they will cancel for obvious reasons.

You will find web address on here http://www.alpedhuez.com/hiver/index.php?lang=en for the Altiport, if not PM me and I will find it in my ADH guide book.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
backhojo, we wanted to do last season it but the weather closed in on us, so we cancelled (you can cancel any time as long as it is more than 24 hours before you are due to fly). It would have been €63 per person and they fly at the end of the week. I think debbidoessnow did it and put up some photos of the flight.

I emailed them on saf.huez@saf-helico.com but got no response, but they were very happy to deal with queries on the phone.

hover over les deux alpes on this link and the phone number will flash up http://www.saf-helico.com/fr/groupe_SAF-HELICAP/bases.php
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Took the helicopter from LDA to ADH a couple of years ago. IIRC it was 59 euros - great fun Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for all your help. i tried a google search but not much came up. think i might take the bus to L2A !!! maybe bus one day and helicopter another. bet the helicopter only takes about 5 mins as its not far in a straight line !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
backhojo, sounds like you're going to be staying in ADH but spend half your holiday travelling to and from LDA Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we like to cover high mileage when we ski. nice to know there are other options available. I guess the tour operator will run a trip to L2A
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
backhojo, Local buses run between the 2 anyway. Costs very little, takes about 90 minutes I think.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shock 90 mins, on a bus, in ski gear...bloody hell !!! might not be an option then. chopper sounds like a better option !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
backhojo, if wearing your ski gear makes sitting on a bus so difficult you might wish to consider bigger trousers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard - i mean the boots and the fact that i overheat in my salopettes when on a stuffy bus......i hate buses...remind me of school trips with sick bags at the ready !! spoo
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
backhojo, not a fan of buses either, but the VFD operate quite modern comfy coaches - probably much better than you're expecting.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had one of the best days of my life taking the helicopter to Alp d'Huez from Les Deux Alpes for skiing. Really good fun, and worth every penny two years ago when the exchange rate was decent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting topic this. I've not been to either resort, but am going to ADH in January:- is there anything in L2A you can't do in ADH? I can't imagine I'll be bored with ADH after only a few days. I've been in helis before, no novelty value there. Is it really worth it?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, the chopter is cool.

The best thing about it is that you can leave the ADH eyesore behind.
snow conditions
the ice perv, nothing spectacularly different, but it's a day out innit, and quite a fun way to get there.
latest report
the ice perv, Well, obviously I'm biased but I think the nature of the skiing in the two resorts is quite different. we're more northerly facing too, so depending on the temps at the time you're there we can hold better snow conditions longer. The resorts are chalk and cheese! Shock
snow report
Quote:

I can't imagine I'll be bored with ADH after only a few days

Strange the way the rest of us manage to find it interesting for whole seasons at a time. rolling eyes
snow report
backhojo, Rather than hopping from ADH to L2A (if you really think you will ski out ADH in a week) why not take a guided off piste trip and return in the chopper? Posters are normally up around the resort for the Grand Sablat trip which we did last year returning from Clavans by heli to a nice lunch at the Altiport snowHead About 100 Euros from memory.
ski holidays
That sounds better Nick Dawes, how long does the Sablat trip take, half-a-day presumably? How difficult is it?
snow report
the ice perv, basically takes a morning if you go at a relaxed pace. snow cover will dictate whether you get all the way to Clavans (in which case it's about 1900-2000m vertical drop) or another pickup spot which isn't so low down.

it isn't too difficult - there is one bit at the top where you can't avoid something of black run steepness. the big vertical drop means there will likely be varying snow conditions. there are a couple of more challenging variations which you are unlikely to do on a half day out like that. well worth it - it's a really beautiful run. and you can do it without using the heli to get back but the heli is more fun of course Cool
ski holidays
the ice perv, What Arno, said. If you can manage a few turns in varying conditions off piste you should be fine. We were lucky enough to get all the way to Clavans at Easter which is pretty unusual, a bit of a scramble in places particularly at the bottom, through peoples back gardens, skiing over cow pats & grass etc. but with a frendly guide its a great mornings skiing. You have to go guided if you want heli pick-up as they are the only people registered to radio it in. Its been a bit controversial as strictly speaking its called in as an emergency pick-up and the villagers in Clavans are lobbying to get it stopped, can understand that having a helicopter landing in your back garden every 10 minutes could get rather tiresome!
latest report
Thanks, sounds good, justed wanted to make sure it's not an if-you-fall-you-die type outing. Website says €110, sounds reasonable, I'll check it out.
ski holidays
I went on the Heli back in 2000 - first (and last ) time in a Heli and loved it.... weather closed in during the day thou, so we were provided a bus to get us back.... no refund. Don't remember being annoyed, but we'd had a few free beers by the end of it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy