Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to buy Volkl in the UK or Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
I cannot find any online dealers of Volkl, certainly none who stock 09 Katana's. I am also looking for some Race Tigers.

Does anyone know of a dealer/importer that can get these in for me, if not in the UK I will be in Verbier in January so maybe have them there waiting.

thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead K.Mac.

I would seriously doubt you'll find Katanas in the UK, I could be wrong it's been a few years since I've been in a UK ski shop.

No worries getting them here though!

What's with the race tigers too? 197cm Katanas will ski everything you need and kill puppies, kittens & small children.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I doubt you will pick up Katanas in the UK. On the other hand I don;t think you will have any issues with picking up a set in Verbier. As for Race Tigers I'm not sure but I'd hedge my bets with getting them out there, at least thta way you only pay for ski carriage one direction.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiservice in Verbier have a large range of Volki skis as do several other shops not sure about the prices.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sport Conrad is your friend: http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=artikel&art_nr=70001015

Doesn't look like ski Bilek have them yet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, guess Ill get in touch with someone in Verbier and have a pair kept for me then! Im doing a BASI course out there and so the Race tigers or similar will be required, the Katanas will be for my weekends and whenever the course takes us off piste, freeskier have the Katanas as an editors pick and the write up was excellent so think Im set on getting them for off piste duties. My sister has been on racetigers whilst training with the Rookies and rates them as do several of the trainers. Just cant wait to get out there now!

I was also wondering on the best one day backcountry ski bag, a heli ski bag design, obviously one which I can hike with. Any ideas?

Parlor - as your located in Verbier...will I be able to get either 09 Scott skiwear or 08 Volcom skiwear? I am looking into getting a new suit and theres nowhere with decent stock near me to go and try stuff on, what is Verbier like for gear and how are the prices. With my course I will have up to 50% off in the NO1 sports shop, if that helps.

cheers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Service are certainly your best bet for Volkl in Verbier. I bought Gotamas and Auras from them last season and although they didn't have the size we needed in stock for the Auras they got them in within a week, and they were this years model. Not as cheap as ordering them online but they really know their stuff and their tech guy Ron does an excellent service, if you buy from them your first service is free. Can't think offhand of anywhere that does Scott skiwear but there are plenty of shops in Verbier so I'm sure you'll get it somewhere. As far as price goes Verbier is comparable to most resorts. You'll get it cheaper online no doubt, but I usually try and buy things in town if I can. If you are after backcountry gear then there is a shop by the lift station (can never remember the name) at Savoleyres that has a good selection.
I assume you're doing the course with Altitude? If so then making use of the No1 discount would seem to make sense, although they don't carry the same range of big mountain skis as Ski Service I'm sure they'd get them in for you
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check if your BASI provider enables you to get a discount in Verbier (WAS had a deal with Skiservice). Dont know which BASI level you are doing but race tigers ( I have some) are a bit twitchy for CT.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
K.Mac wrote:

I was also wondering on the best one day backcountry ski bag, a heli ski bag design, obviously one which I can hike with. Any ideas?

cheers.

Check out the BCA range or the Black Diamond Revelation range
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BGA - yes I should be doing the course with Altitude starting in Junuary, what do you think of your Gotamas, I was also looking at them but the decision isnt easy to make as they all get such good write ups and have their own dis/advantages. As long as prices arent outrageous Im happy to use the resort shops, sounds like there are some very good ones as well, as I expected!

jbob - what ski would you suggest for my on piste purposes? I always skied a all mountain/park sorta ski until last season when I used a Rossignol 9S world cup (FIS approved ones with the immense bindings) I shall probably be keeping the binding for my next pair of skis. These were just 155's and were very easy to ski although they have a lot of flex in them now and so I thought I may as well treat myself to some new skis. Im not a technically amazing skier, hence the course and my desire to improve but I do have confidence on skis and I am willing to learn and adapt to any ski. Suggestions? I believe through reading another thread (before my original posts) that the ski actually cannot be a slalom one as the radius for the BASI examinations has been restricted to 17 or above. So bearing that in mind...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
K.Mac, You ask a very difficult question, you will be expected to be able to do most everything on one set of skis, CT short rads, long rads, and variables which is usually bumps (powder if you are very lucky) and is the element in which most failures happen, my best advice would be to ask the training provider what they recommend for as you say the rules are changing. What I would recommend is to get all your kit sorted, incl. boots as early as possible and be ready to hit the ground running.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bachpacks - don't rush the purchase, there are loads to try on here. Buy the one that fits best.

Scott Ski wear - inter alia Jet Sports.

Volcom - Hardcore & possibly No Bounds.

Race Tigers - OK, I'll let you off.

Gots / Katanas - Katana. Just as a side note BGA has both Gots and Auras Shocked Laughing I think this is a good reference for gots (ie they are girls skis) Wink

No 1 stocks some great ski gear & skis. Norrona, Oakley & others. Good selection of skis too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I have asked for recommendations already for kit. So it seems that Im just as well waiting, but I will see if NO1 can get in the Volkl's with my discount then get the rest from there.

The powder skis would be for my weekends and if we do any specific days on the course where I can use them.

So I am looking for a very competant all mountain ski, I will wait for some suggestions from Altitude's instructors.#

thanks for all the help/advice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
K.Mac, at a guess I'd say don't stress too much about arriving with ALL of your gear sorted.

A) because you can travel a little easier.

B) your ideas might change when you get here. For instance, before you bought Katanas I'd say get out and test the new Faction skis.

And C) You'll have plenty of time to sort yourself out when you get here as lots of your course mates will still be learning to ski. Shocked Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, I agree to a point but a lot of the BASI trainers are anti twin tips although they might not say it, if K.Mac, is well ahead of the game he wont have a problem anyway, but if he is marginal, chopping and changing skis and boots through the course and particularly in the assessment weeks, could be the difference between pass and fail.
snow report
jbob - I think that is a good point. Going from say my 9S's onto some Amplid Teedy Bares in a 183 was a big shock. I think having something slightly all mountain would be far better than a race ski which would be a drastic change from the off piste ski. An all mountain ski should also easily cover all of the aspects of the course.

I am not a bad skier, I did note that a lot of courses such as this only require that you ski a red or even a blue run and so expect that I will probably not be the least experienced skier there with 10 years in Chatel at around 5 weeks per season ( I am now 1Cool. I am confident and looking forward to getting to Verbier for some serious powder skiing, but ultimately I know that improving on piste technique will always make me a better off piste skier and off piste is what I enjoy most with dodgey enterances and a few drops thrown in. Obviously some of you snowHead know the area very well! is all of the off piste nice and accessible whilst being reasonably safe? I would like to be hitting lines with drops of 30ft (current sort of comfort drop height) and slowly build up from there, based on Verbier's freeride vids there are plenty of faces that will accomadate this and certainly more!

I have never had a ski instructor or any real coaching and so hope that I can really excel in my skiing as I have seen with my sister who is now ISIA qualified at 21 years old. Her skiing really did transform in just 2 seasons with the Rookies in NZ, I would have been there but cant wait until our summer and require BASI to get a job in Chatel before spending too much money!
snow report
I noticed the skis being used by three BASI examiners last year, one was on Salli AEROs, one on HEAD superspeed and the other on some race dept 3v`s. Cant help with the 30` drops maybe parlor, can, but I can tell you that one of the biggest challenges in completing your course will be avoiding injuries, which is the rational for BASI changing their recommendations for skis, so you might want to take it easy.

That said Verbier is an amazing off piste venue with lots of readily accessible real estate for you to go at most of it relatively safe.
snow conditions
jbob, I'd agree about the choice of ski, I don't see where I was recommending twin tips? Just alternatives for K.Mac fun ski rather than the ski he'll do his course on!?! Then you go on: shouldn't a good skier be able to ski any ski just the same? Just a thought.

K.Mac, chill with the still brother, winter is on it's way. Plenty of awesome skiing, Jon and Dom are going to make your legs ache!
ski holidays
jbob - Ill bear in mind that I need to be fit for my exams and training, hopefully I dont do any damage!

Well cant wait to get out there now, my minds not been on skiing for some time as I was out for a DH biking season. Now that its getting closer Im really looking forward to it, and hopefully to completing the course for a life out on the snow Very Happy
ski holidays
K.Mac, the next few months will be hard. Summer, or what you had of it, is over and winter's not here for a while...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy