Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
snowing lightly this morning. will be going up later, i have to stop my head spinning first! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
seeing as i have just had my wrists slapped by someone for daring to say i want more snow, and being quoted in the snowheads weather thingy.

can i just make sure you all know and understand

I DO NOT LIKE RIDING PISTE AND SO I WOULD LIKE IT TO SNOW AGAIN SO I CAN GO AND RIDE OFF PISTE AND FOR NO OTHER REASON.
the snow is still excellent (not that i've been up to apreciate it i'm having to much fun down here) but i will go up tomorrow and i will take my camera.

if admin is reading this do you think you could please not miss quote me in future.

and if anyone else has a problem with the fact that i want more snow, and saying i want more snow seems to mean bad advertising to serre che, i suggest they do some snow reports.

I dont do this to advertise i do it cos i love serre che and i love writing a blog of sorts about it.

if i seem a little peeved, well quite frankly i am, with bother the poster of the email and snowheads for quoting me
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Relax, treacle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold, she picked the wrong night to tell me off for wanting more snow Sad isn't that what everyone wants in a snow resort rolling eyes

and breath, and breath, and get ready to go to the pub! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have I missed something?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, speak to your lady who manages your appartment. i'm sure she'll fill you in. I gave her a massive mouthful yesterday after being told off by her. seriously not impressed by her
still its another day. Winter is sick, which is typical, so wont be going up till later.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowangel., as I said in my email to you, I wondered if 'Admin' or whoever looks after the Weatherhead emails, had cut your quote. I want people to come and enjoy this incredible resort and don't want them to be deterred in any way and I think the Weatherhead email would have made people discount Serre Chevalier altogether. I will contact the Weatherhead team and let them know about the whole deal; it would be interesting to know how they collate the info for their email circulars.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mel@EurekaSKI, well it didn't come accross that way and you should have been them you contacted not me, that was taken from a few posts of from me on riding piste and pointing out that the off piste cover was still good just not worth doing! Ok you didn't pick the best night to email me and you weren't to konw that. But me and the rest of the household (which are many at the moment as we seem to be the local refuge this year) felt the way i did from your email.

if people did discount serre che on the basis of that, anyone reading this should know we are going to be really quite, so probably the best place to be!

Anyway, it would seem is snowing on the cucamel as i speak so this is all good. The weather for the next week looks possative. Fingers crossed.

have found sitter will be going up at around 1pm we hope!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I for one love the snow reports from snowangel - and I dont know her from Adam! What I do want to know from the local heads is if it is worth coming out on the last week of the season 18th to 25th based on your experience of the last couple of years. I know it is guesswork but opinions are welcome. Keep up the snow reports !!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Luke, hubby and I will be out there then, arriving on 16th and leaving on the 26th. We've been out for the end of the season on three or four occasions now, and it has always been worth it. It snowed really hard last April just as we were arriving. This is probably going to be our only chance to ski this winter (next weeks CT scan permitting) so we will be making the most of it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Helen - I was out late last year but not quite as late as 18th! If it is anything like last year it would be fantastic! Hope the CT goes well for Jules!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Luke, we were out from 16th-20th last winter, which I think was when you called by? it was a shame to have to leave all that snow on the pistes. Monetier is open right until the 25th this year too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I FOUND MY PISTE MOJO! hooorah!

absolutey fabulous day on the pistes. a bit slushy lower down but really superb. And i was riding like a bat out of hell. might have had something to do with riding with a guy who is training to do the derby tomorrow.

Luke, i would say its well worth it.

Helen Beaumont, fingers crossed for the scan.

i still cant get over just how fab the snow is up there and the off piste is still well covered so the snow that is due next week will make us lots of fun. even the trees are still ridable. Bring it on! I have one photo from today i'll post later
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski here a lot, on and off piste. The snow this season is and has been the best for at least ten years. At the moment it is as good as could possibly be for this time in the season - cover is good and deep and the equal of anywhere in Europe. There are no unexpected rocks anywhere, you can ski or 'ride' anywhere each day if you wait till the snow off piste has softened up. When the resort closes on the 26th April there will still be loads of good snow everywhere. But the lifts will be silent and the snow will slowly melt away during May and so will I.

So perhaps the snow angel has been debeatified and misrepresented in the totally inaccurate snow report for Serre Che for this was the work of the snow devil.

[Moderator alert] : Frankly any snow website that publishes snow reports based on the opinions of a few forum residents and not on anything a bit more objective can only be regarded as amateurish and as such I would recommend anyone not to rely on it. There are other better more carefully prepared resort snow reports to give an accurate and unbiased picture.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

today from La balme.

Grim Deeds, i did bother to do La cucamel last week and it was worth it, also got some lines in monetier off piste, but i'm lazy, if its hard work i cant be bothered.

as you say its only my opinion that i give, i just didn't realise that my passion for riding powder and hence wanting snow could cause a problem.

Anyway i'm preying my preyers will be answered as it's just so ready to ride with 10cm of fresh on top!
snow conditions
oh yeh , admin, do you not have any comment on your quoting me???
latest report
snowangel. Admin doesn't do the Snow Reports, Weatherhead does.

Grim Deeds, welcome to SnowHeads. snowHead
latest report
Grim Deeds, best snow for ten years! Bloody typical Crying or Very sad
latest report
JulesB, Sad
snow conditions
JulesB, if its any consolation i've worked so much this year i've not ridden as much as i normally do! The boy is also super frustrated

raining in the valley this morning snowing up top. not a nice day to do the derby, but i hope my mate wins Very Happy
latest report
Pistes are for pussies anway Smile............been doing some great stuff out here, not all in Serre but that is where we're based as you can do so much in the immediate vicinity and more further afield......though have to admit to being on the piste this afternoon, mind you was all the same with the amount of snow up top - hopefully tomorrow should deliver a big day, first lifts from Monetier me thinks....

More picture and daily blog of our exploits - and still have not ridden with SnowAngel yet, mind you have been on the planks for 95% of the time, and have been out and about a fair bit, but next week I'm here all the time, I thnk.............

http://www.gavinbaylis.com/ski/

And Grim Deeds, sorry to pull you up, but I've been to various places over the past three weeks (see blog above) and snow cover* is better elsewhere, so like you say you can't rely on a few observations from forum internet contributors Smile

*cold snow on North facing slopes, untracked fresh, and spring lower down..........etc etc
ski holidays
Grim Deeds,
Welcome to snowHeads but:

Quote:

Frankly any snow website that publishes snow reports based on the opinions of a few forum residents and not on anything a bit more objective can only be regarded as amateurish and as such I would recommend anyone not to rely on it. There are other better more carefully prepared resort snow reports to give an accurate and unbiased picture.

Could you please point me to these other unbiased reliable reports 'cos I have not seen them.
If you mean SCGB pardon me whilst I die laughing.

I am sure Weatherhead reports are not perfect but they rarely seem to have a comercially inspired bias unlike most others. If that is amateurish so much the better. A diverse source of reports frequently enlightens.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, ok weatherhead can you quote me now!

absolutely awesome afternoon on piste! and OFF PISTE YEY!
Worked thsi morning then went up, peeing it down with rian down here but up top was just awesome! 2 hours of fresh tracks, off piste and trees. Pistes that i did were soft and lovely.

only downside was riding down. Past 2000m was a bit......erm how can we put this...... sticky!

snow due tomorrow, but clearing up tomorrow afternoon.
finish work at 2 and will go shred!

Quite frankly i wouldn't want to be anywhere else but serre che. I love this place Very Happy
snow report
Up on the Frejus by 09:30 numerous runs on via Balme / Cucumelle more or less all to ourselves - piste pussies were having more than a few problems skiing real snow Smile

As Helen says, lower down was amusing....................

Pictures and blog at http://www.gavinbaylis.com/ski/ long may it continue..............
snow conditions
blue bird day! awesome, should have got first lifts but needed to sleep a bit more!
cant wait
snow conditions
goodness gracious me, what a day! Glorious sunshine, glorious and light pow up top, bit slushy pow down bottom. pistes soft and not icy at all.

Everything you could want from a skiing trip today was! And good weather for tomorrow before snow later in the week.

our four lines coming down towards the echauda drag at the bottom of the photo
ski holidays
snowangel., it looks fantastic, save some for us !! snowHead
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, i'm so preying we have a snowy end to season, its still so amazing up there!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bonjour, cava?

Team Mulkeen back Saturday....things look to be holding up nicely! Couple of quick queries.... if you could be so kind... are the ski schools still running down in the resort for the very little ones?

Never done spring skiing before...anything I should know (thats really obvious that i probably haven't thought about)?

Helen Beaumont, I know you dont know me but back in August you recommended the place to me, and its awesome.... hope things all turned out good for you!

Cant wait to be back to the second best place in the world!

Ta
M snowHead
snow report
Mattmulkeen, so glad you enjoyed it, addictive little place isn't it wink . Ski schools will still be running until the end of the season. You will probably need a bit more sunscreen, and have a few more stops to grin at the fantastic scenery.
Only second best? It's much better than Leeds.
snowHead

We're off out for the final week of the season, and will ski if hubby's CT scan is OK next week and consultant doesn't forbid him to ski. No reason why he shouldn't be able to put the planks on provided the fracture has healed properly.
snow report
Helen Beaumont,

Excellent on all counts!

PS Leeds is the Rio of the North of England! Laughing
snow conditions
Mattmulkeen, at this time of the season you will need to get 1st lift up to get the best snow. Also, hire fat skis. They will perform better when the snow becomes slushy. It gets quite warm, but don't be tempted to ski in just a T-shirt (and trousers).
latest report
chris wrote:
Mattmulkeen, at this time of the season you will need to get 1st lift up to get the best snow. Also, hire fat skis. They will perform better when the snow becomes slushy. It gets quite warm, but don't be tempted to ski in just a T-shirt (and trousers).

Not sure I'd agree with that as a blanket statement Chris, sometimes depending on the freeze overnight it can be very icy first thing, a more leisurely start and a later lunch often works well in spring, so the sun has had a chance to soften off the frozen stuff.
snow report
kitenski,

chris, has good local knowledge though. There are quite a few slopes at Serre Che that face East particularly runs to resort. You can get fabulous skiing first thing when waiting for other slopes to soften at this time of the year.
snow report
T Bar, i'd agree with kitenski, but at the same time i dont disagree with chris!
if you dont mind hard ice, go up first lifts and head toward briancon, where the slopes will soften up the quickest.
unless its a pow day i'd rather wait till 10 before going up.

didn't make it up today, to much to do, too tired and its flat light out there!
snow due tonight

Very Happy
latest report
snowangel., we tend to wait until about 10,we're too lazy to make first lift anyway.Then a late lunch back at the apartment .
ski holidays
Well I've usually got the 9:30 lifts afterdropping the kids at ski school and the lowest runs are frequently a bit soft by 10. It varies a bit obviously but by April I reckon an early start means you can get all the pistes at their best.
latest report
T Bar, hence the reason I couched as not being able to agree with it as a blanket statement knowing full well Chris knows the area much better than me!!
snow report
kitenski, Yep, I'm not really disagreeing with you, just pointing out some advantages of an early start. locally I suspect we are all basically furiously agreeing with each other.
latest report
T Bar, kitenski, Mattmulkeen, this discussion is now irrelevant! Woke up this morning to find all the snow has melted!!!! due to the very high temperatures of the last 24 hours. Shocked
ps it can often happen at this time of year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy