Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
well. Operation has been done, all successful. She'll be back next week sometime. Snowangel- we went to the top of prorel, then left on the immediate red, left the piste and traversed left under the cliffs then over the first ridge and down the gully. Fresh tracks, like you say. It rejoins the piste that comes down from the drag lift that runs up from near the prorel lift. Bloody evil draglift that.

We started on villeneuve today but all was heaving as almost everything was shut. Headed for monetier at lunch and it was fantastic. More lifts open and much, much quieter pistes.

We'll have one more morning at it tomorrow. Better visibility and lower winds apparently!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow! what a last morning. GPS shows we covered 80km in 4 hours (including lifts!) as we charged around a virtually deserted serre chevalier. I've never seen anything like it. Up at grand alpe it was virtually our own private ski resort for a couple of hours or so. It was only when we ventured top-to-bottom on the Casse du Boeuf that we encountered a 10-minute queue as the foret and aravet bubbles were shut due to wind. Elsewhere we had no queues, virtually no other skiers/boarder on piste and soft groomed snow on wide open pistes, it was millionaire's skiing alright and the visibility was perfect. A fantastic morning to end the week.

There are two things they need to do at Serre Che as a matter of urgency, snowangel - please contact the authorities and get it sorted! wink
1. Get rid of the remainining non-detachable chairs. Particularly cibouit at Monetier as it's an evil little sod. They're too old and slow (apart from entry and exit!)
2. Sort the link out from Monetier back to the Aravet valley. Going out is easy, coming back (and avoiding drags) meant the only way we could do it was a calf-squealing traverse across from the top of the balme chair (another one that needs replacing!) under the Mea and Clot drags, across the goulet piste. under the Clot Gauthier drag and onto a narrow and flat track I'd seen from the balme chair that ended up near a wooden hut on a ridge and dropped down onto Selettes and back down to the Cote Chevalier chair. You can just do it on a board if your calf muscles are strong, you avoid colliding with anyone on the goulet piste as you go straight across and you can let the board run fast in a straight line! If there's an easier way (avoiding drags and avoiding dropping to the valley floor) then let me know what we missed please!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled, I agree about the replacement of Yret and Cibouit lifts. They are both slow, long and uncomfortable to get on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christopher, agreed, but they keep the crowds away from the best snow . Toofy Grin carled, |I got the littl beggar sussed. I will only ride it with my eldest son (hubby and youngest lark about too much). Get on the right hand side, and stand slightly in front of your companion, who then takes the blow for you. Jump off to the right as you get off. Problem sorted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Due to members of my family being in ski school we had to meet them in Monetier at lunch time. So we never skied from Monetier to Chantermerle. We took the bus which was good to rest the legs at lunch time. I was very impressed with the bus system. So we missed that drag lift.

On the return from Chantermerle/Briancon to Monetier, the Balme chair was also long, slow and was one of the only times I got cold on that holiday. I'd like to see that replaced. Although I've read that they might be putting a lift in the Cucumelle valley as a replacement. Which dissapoints me I would prefer to keep the amount of lift pylones to a minimum especially in beautiful areas such as the Cucumelle valley. I think Balme wouldn't be replaced, but dismantled. This would lose some good skiing, such as Creux du Loup and what appeared to be some good off piste on the Villeneuve side.

Balme also shuts too early. Always had to cruise to get on the last lift back.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good day today, just cruising on the skis, though by the afternoon I was off crud bashing and playing in the trees..............

So if you see a couple at the Grotte at happy hour with a little Jack Russel come and say hello !

Daily blog now up at http://www.gavinbaylis.com/ski/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam, great blog!! Looking forward to some more updates, I am really missing the place, as we were originally due to arrive there today.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled, now you see why i dont bother going up when its busy, its just not the same.
that is the only way to do it without drags, i rarely do it unless i'm up for catching the fresh pow in the gully to the right of that little hut!
The more you do these drags the easier it is, if its snowboard problems, get the person with the problem to make sure they keep their back arm out behind them as they take off. I also find being strapped in with two feet helps too.]

Glad you had a good time.

There have been rumers of changing la balm for years, and frejus chair. I have not heard anything about the cibuit and yret. You'll all have to wait and see what happens
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like great snow, not to bothered about the Cibout and Yret chair as although they go over the ground slowly they are both relatively steep so you get decent altitude gain for your wait and neither usually have any queue. Agree about the Aravet valley lifts and the Balme chair is long. Mind I would much rather no new lift development than any further mechanisation of Cucumelle.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wind this morning, no rush, did some wifi work in the Grotte early this morning, then on down into Briancon to Ed's and Champion for more provisions - then some piste bashing this afternoon avec the video - cold & windy up top, though not helped by wearing very light spring gear..........couple of mates who are guides around for dinner tomorrow, then we start making plans..........two piste days and I'm starting to go cold turkey.........think by Thursday a little hike might be on the cards........that's if we don't get the snow forecast for Wed, but as ever "Wait and See"..................
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam, you weren't the english guy i helped at ed yesterday were you?

mountain today was lovely. I thought it would be solid ice, i was nicely surpised. jTried the trees off the dray, got a few nice bits but mostly too crusty to bother, so i stayed on piste. Very enjoyable day, not too icy, vision in villeneuve was crap but briancon and chantemerle was lovely.
snowing up there so hoping tomorrow will be even nicer.

snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
its snowing! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowangel., Very Happy. How's your son doing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowangel yes that was I !

Just heard from my mates who were meant to be coming over for Dinner tonight, and we've postponed, Col is still open but very windy over in LG and he thinks they could well shut later and he can't afford to be stuck on this side (Serre) as his clients are in La Grave and would be none best pleased if he was not there to guide them on what will hopefully be a powder day..........

So decisions, decisions as to whether to ski or board tomorrow - I need to work more on my skiing in powder so if viz is below average then I'll ski, if it's a champagne blue sky day, then out with the boards and head straight to Monetier.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam, well glad i could help! and very nice to meet you!

feeling like a kid at christmas right now, loving the snow! Gonna be a swallow tail day for me tomorrow, so cannot wait. Will start in chantemerle and make my way over to monetier! Might see you on piste. I keep changing my jacket but always green pants and normally great big fat pink head phones!

lets just hope its gonna carry on dumping tonight. I need more powder days
snow report
Helen Beaumont, he's doing ok. Still in pain and severly bored and that is the biggest problem. But he feels better in his head about what has happend and he's trying to find something to do online, some sort of qualification in graphics. 3 months is a long time for anyone to be stuck in doors let a lone a sporty teenager.

how is jules doing? More to the point how are you doing after all the stress? At least i've lost a few kg from it!
snow conditions
snowangel., tell me about it............... At least Jules can get out and about now,and he's even doing a few days at work, but the pain and the boredom were definitely a problem. He's still got pain in his neck ans left shoulder. That and the lack of squash games. Pilates and yoga apparently aren't the same, but it is about the most strenuous thing he can do. I lost a few kg too, but I have probably put some back on. Still got the final part of the insurance claim to sort, they're arguing about refunding cost of ski packs for myself and the kids, although all of Jules costs have been sorted. They've eventually paid for our travel expenses to return home early, and our hotel bill in Grenoble, so I can't understand why they won't refund ski packs. We just have to cross our fingers that Julian's CT scan on 6th April is fine, and we can at least have a couple of runs when we come out on the 16th.
ski holidays
Snowangel my mobi is 0670 828 009 we're now boarding tomorrow - picked up boards tonight but have swapped bindings on to my 197 Swallow - will be boarding with the Mrs tomorrow - so that will be my brake!

Aiming to be at Monetier at 09:00

daily blog now running at www.gavinbaylis.com/ski

Mind you will not be too many idiots riding a board like this, the one on the left that is, up against the 169 Shogun for comparison Little Angel

latest report
fabulous day on the hill. not much open on the hill so stuck in chantemerle but oh was it worth it. Super pows runs in the trees, lots of very first tracks.
Great great bluebird day.
got a few pics will post up later
latest report
a few pics from a while back and today.

this was in mid feb, before the melt down and wind at the lauzet

today in the trees of the aguillette

me in the same trees but further down
snow conditions
Not a brilliant day and not a bad day, wrong kit choice taking too bigger board - oh well..........went back on skis after and hour or so, to try and get better in the crud/pow/ etc - legs are now in fourth day aches and pains mode, that will pass........hope this damn wind sods off...........wait & hope for wind all the time back in the UK (for windsurfing) and when we don't want it, arrives likes buses en masse!
snow report
Weathercam, that sucks, when is saw the wind this morning i left the swallow at home, good choice! Very Happy
snow conditions
Snowangel things are looking up, been invited over to LG for Friday by a mate (a guide) with just him and a couple of others, and then Mr Dynafit who I sort of know (very long story) is in the Queras next week so I'm hooking up with him........trouble is all the best laid plans go to merdre in the mountains, much better to just "Wait and See" ...

We are hatching a cunning plan for when my mates come out March 22nd to get 5 days guiding in - trouble is they don't know it yet, hoping "Le Credit CruncH" works to our advantage and they can't resist 600 euro!!
snow report
How to make God laugh, make a plan...............

Friday's now not happening, now on for Sunday, fingers crossed, and touring now, which having driven over to LG late this afternoon, up around Lautaret was looking very nice indeed. LG has been producing superb conditions these past two days.

As for here in Serre, went to Monetier for first lifts again in the vain hope that the top section would be untracked, but they opended it up late afternoon yesterday, but still had loads of fresh to play in. So much better day today, found some very nice routes down from Balme & Cucumelle coming eventually comin through the trees aboove Frejus village - was on the Shogun riding my touring setup - tres sweet after having the board serviced (first time in ages)....

Think things are warming up temp wise from the feel of things, have to get the timing right on some of those S/SE facing slopes me thinks
snow conditions
Good day up at Montgenevre - see daily blog http://www.gavinbaylis.com/ski/........

Big day tomorrow if all goes according to plan, up the Glacier de Seguret Foran, (after a wee bit of challenging descent off Roc Montagnolle, did this a few years ago when we did Combe de Riou) to the Dome de Monetier - then across to the Pic Dormillouse and Paveous before descening all the way back down coming into Montagnolle, and Vallon de Grand Tabuc - so going skis as opposed to board, just hope I'm up to it !!

snow report
Crying or Very sad Back after our week Crying or Very sad Really liked staying up in Monetier - Mel from Eurekaski was really helpful with our apt which had a brill view of the slopes. Of course everyone else has already put in what we would have liked to say. Agree about the Balme link back to Monetier - it is the first time I have seen DH to a snowplough in about 10 years coming down it Skullie We gave up skiing over and drove up to the Bez car parks. The conditions were the best we've experienced at that time of year, and am still on a high [well nothing guff has happened at work yet...].

Am impressed with the 80k of pistes - DH likes to do the 'total descent' and reckons 5000metres is a decent day out, whatever that means. snowangel., if you saw a fat tangerine woman skier when you were cruising round the aiguilette, that would have been us...Had some great picnics over there...oh no, am getting maudlin now...

Enjoy the rest rest of the season. Hope the lack of response from Weathercam, doesn't mean he is resting in a crevasse in the backcountry....
snow report
MarjMJ, awful when you have to leave isn't it ? Sad . Can't wait for April, even if we don't get to ski.
snow report
MarjMJ, ehem 250km of piste!

glad you had a good stay.

awesome day on the mountain today. With perfect timing we rode the whole mountain and had the best snow in each village before it became to soupy. Even got some off piste in monetier and some nice lines. This prompted us to hike the cucamel. got the furthest up there i ever have but there was no point in going to the top as lack of snow up there.
Have a few pics to show you will upload later.

I rode from 9am to 3.30pm and i am shattered!

however i really dont like riding piste, since liam's accident i'm even more shaky on it. Ah well i'll get over it.

oh and liam walked down to chantemerle today to have a drink at l'abra de pain. awesome to see him in the village! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel., I guess Jules and I will be a bit nervous too once we get back on the skis, at least the pistes should be quieter by then. I'm not a good off-piste skier (in fact I'm rubbish), but julesb is planning on avoiding the crowds so I suppose I'll have to get better somehow.
snow report
Great day on Sunday - was over in Puy yesterday - that was very good - easy day today, couple of runs - timing was perfect on getting spring snow round off Balme and over Frejus - now making some plans for a couple of days later this week, think some touring as snow is getting safer to go on your own now on the more classic routes - have a guide for a couple of days next week when some mates come out - switching between board and skis now on a daily basis - skiing is coming along but having to work at it in these conditions where as the board just slashes through it.

Daily blog with pictures from Sunday and more www.gavinbaylis.com/ski
snow report

our two lines in monetier! most of it was soft snow but it was worth it

going up les combes.

from la balm chair lift.

i must say when it does snow again (notice the possitivity in that) there is still really good off piste base, despite most of it just not beeing worth the bother.

Still i'm glad i hiked la cucamel, despite knowing it wasn't going to be the best!
roll on tomorrow Very Happy
snow report
Have a plan, skinning up from Monetier doing in reverse part of what I did Sunday, circa 1000ms, to attack all that lovelly fresh that's in the Vallon west of Montagnolle and try and ski it better this time - will have to get their circa noon as it's much warmer than Sunday, want to try and get it before it softens too much - checked with Jonatan the guide I was with on as to whether it's ok and he's cool as long as I stay in the middle and don't try to climb to close to the S facing slopes in order to get more vertical quickly because with all this sun slides are going to happen.

Just hope I get the timing right, going to be hard & icy going up that way in the morning as it's in the shade so will have to use knives - quite a few years back did the more popular Montagnolle route and it's a great run but a real bastardo on a board lower down through the trees as it's just so narrow and icy with these current conditions.

SnowAngel we'll have to arrange a ride together sooner or later....here's my tel no 0670828009
latest report
Got back sunday after 2 fab weeks in serre che , conditions were fab only spoiler was the euro or rather how crap the exchange rate is now.....................6 pounds for a pint does not a happy gary make!!!! SNOWANGEL really glad your son on the mend. enjoy whats left of the season snowHead
snow conditions
THIS IS ALL TORTURE...

We hadn't been for a couple of years, so have noticed loads of changes to the piste layout - DH is convinced they have messed too much with Pylons, but I think he has been having false memory...He also was gutted because Isolee was shut the day we were in that area. We must have had over a dozen trips out and he still hasn't managed it. That Combes lift is brill, and when the exchange rate gets better, I WILL have a go at drive the Piste Basher...
snow report
another beautifull day, super hot.
watched winter snowboarding from afar, stayed in chantemerle, really cant complain.

however i wish it would snow again! Very Happy
snow report
Superb day down in the Queyras - big tour, didn't make the summit as cramps set in with 200m to go - more detail and photos here www.gavinbaylis.com/ski plus had my legs ripped off by a 74 year old !
ski holidays
i've got more work at the ramontee mechanique! Yay, so back to work on saturday!
still beautifull here every day, sunny and warm. Going up today but not till later.
ski holidays
snowangel., The big lift at Chantmerle was shut last week - we were surprised, but it did generally seem quiet. Any reason? Hope you have a nice day..sob, sob...
snow report
MarjMJ, wind? probably!
not as sunny and warm as i thought, pretty bullet proof up there and rather chilly, i definately under dressed.
However i enjoyed the piste more than i did the other day.
Might even ride in my 4 hour break tomorrow! Very Happy
snow conditions
after a nice warm week with only a few issues with the students at middlesbourugh college and the lift strike it was a good week

and the ww2 bomb in turin on sunday made for a much longer and more pleasent transfer to turin,

lots of empty runs and the only time we had to Q for a lift was the morning of the strike
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy