Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Ski Club - credit crunch busters ??

Poster: A snowHead
Just received my (automatically !) renewed membership which I meant (yet again) to remember to cancel. I'm impressed though and glad I did'nt.
Not only do I get a copy of the DM ski mag, which I quite like. The discounts available to members are pretty good including two for one at the ski show in Olympia and Brum. Discount at various retailers (ski related mostly but all of them) with reductions on servicing, ski safety equipment, reductions on Fat face and others. Pretty good I think.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remembered to cancel my DD in good time. Mind you I was able to do it through my bank's internet site, which made it easy. As for 'credit-crunch busters' - I wonder how secure Freshtracks is - hedging adequately for currency fluctuation must be tricky for a small company. Generally, they seem to book with reasonable airlines, so hopefully they won't have to cope with ones that fold.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, yep they get me every year. I was initially cheesed off when I saw I'd "renewed" once again, own fault as I'd simply forgotten to cancel (3 years in a row now) but quite impressed with the discounts and deals etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty, same here, I meant to cancel, but reckon that discounts do usually cover my membership fee. And I did have fun skiing with a rep last season, so guess I may do again in the future.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the ski club a good deal or not? You want/have cancelled memberships but then say the discounts make it worth being a member Puzzled

I was thinking of joining due to the discounts but I/m not sure if it is worth it.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sage, yes, I reckon not bad with the discounts, the magazine and some skiing with the reps. I've also enjoyed one Freshtracks holiday (but not enjoyed another.) The hoo-ha about reps not being able to take people too far away from the piste has put some people off and others (including myself) are rather put off by the ageist concept of the Peak Experience holidays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sage, I did not say the discounts were worth membership. Clearly they are not for me - but then I hardly ever used them. Discount at MK Xscape was nice a couple of times - but the car park discounts were no better that I got from the AA. That said, it may be a convenient way for you to get discounts. The repping benefit seems much reduced to me - but the rep's hour can be a pleasant and useful way of meeting up with other skiers; then again, so is sHs. The magazine seems as good as any (though one or two here seem to have almost a personal grudge against it). But I hardly read magazines. I strongly dislike the ageism.

But why not join for a year and make up your own mind? Just remember to cancel you DD in good time if you decide to go after one season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only been a member for 3 or 4 years but I at least break even. I've saved £40 on my apartment in Zermatt in February with Interhome and will save another £15 or so on lessons there with Summit. Last year in Zermatt when I travelled alone I skied with the reps for 2 days and joined the social hour most evenings. Savings on things like car hire, parking, etc can be at least matched elsewhere. The UK discounts are good if you need to buy anything from those particular retailers. S&R is particualrly hit and miss with vouchers for discounts on particular items only, this year for EB again there's one 10% off voucher. As achilles, says give it a go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, achilles, your idea sounds good, I think I'll give it a shot.

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sometimes, every now and again, I miss David Goldsmith Toofy Grin wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, where did David Goldsmith go?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chrisb, erm Wengen.... wink maybe
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I joined the SCGB last year and have just renewed the membership. I got more than my membership fee (£55 now for an individual over 24 years old) back in the discount I got from Lockwoods on the SCGB avalanche gear deal, which was one of the reasons I joined because I was shopping around for avy gear at the time.

I have saved a bit here and there with 15% off Holiday Extras parking as I used airport parking a lot last season. There's normally not a lot in it on the parking from company to company as others have said but I like Holiday Extras because I've found them to be ultra reliable-never had any problems with them and who they get to sort the parking out. Very Happy

I skied with a SCGB Rep for a few days last season but I intend to do that a bit more this coming season. So all in all for me it's well worth the £55 and I will probably get my money back in the discounts again this year so that means skiing with the Rep for free essentially if I want to.

Not tried a Freshtracks holiday. Hurtle, how is it that you enjoyed the one Freshtracks holiday and not the other if you don't mind me asking and which resort did you go to on each?

They all look pretty expensive to me when you consider that the prices are based on 2 sharing most of the time so it doesn't include single supplements or indeed flights a lot of the time either. I must admit when I compare the cost of the FT holidays to my ski course holiday I've recently booked, I feel the ski courses offer much better value in that respect considering the standard of accomodation and the calibre of the instructors you get on the courses. Also I notice that on some of the FT trips they get the local ski school in to do the instruction so again I think the ski courses with the likes of Inspired to Ski, Snoworks etc off better value with regards to that. Saying that, they do offer some interesting looking trips like the heliskiing/touring trips and they must come at a price, and also I've heard that the accomodations they use in the majority of resorts are usually very nice. Except for the Toviere in Val D'Isere. I've heard that one is a bit tired.

Also regarding the Peak Experience holidays (for over 50's) sometimes I've seen one and I think that looks good and the price and the dates fit only to find it's a PE trip and I'm way too young to go on it. Very Happy

I will probably have the free ticket to the Ski & Board show at the NEC this October as well. I've heard that one is better than the London Olympia show, not been to either before anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I joined last year as their top level insurance was one of the few which gave unlimited winter sports cover and trips of up to 60 days. I had almost decided to do a British Mountaineering one this year when the membership stuff arrived in the post. Forgot to cancel the direct debit...... like everyone else. I never remember to look at the discounts thing. We spent £300 in Lockwoods earlier in the year.... Doh. And they don't yet have a rep in Les Saisies. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahh Goldsmith, the man, the myth, the legend. snowHead
snow conditions
pam w, next time you have a big shop or even not a big shop then remember the discounts because it's 10% off everything at Lockwoods and 15% off at Cotswold Outdoor which is pretty good, plus they have 10% off at some other shops as well (in the Treats leaflet in the pack).

Probably something that will benefit you as well is the discount off the ferry crossings?

I had a look at the SCGB Executive travel insurance for Worldwide cover and I did it with Direct Travel in the end on their Worldwide top level package. Can't remember why now. Although I do know that I'm not covered for Bobsleighing with Direct Travel. Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-09-08 15:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
pam w wrote:
.........Forgot to cancel the direct debit......

Now is a good time to cancel your DD. You'll still get the benefit of your membership for this season right up to renewal time. And of course, if you are overwhelmed with the excellence of the Club after all, you can always reinstate it, before your membership expires.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

how is it that you enjoyed the one Freshtracks holiday and not the other

Good leader for the first (no instruction involved), crap leader and mediocre instruction for the second.
latest report
achilles, yes, I really should. You're right. And I actually think I can now do it online with my bank account.
snow report
Now there's a funny thing. I went into my bank account to find I haven't paid anything to the SCGB on the direct debit - I checked back as far as mid August just in case it had not registered.
snow conditions
Hurtle, ah I see.

Also another thing about the ski course companies that I like is that you can go on every single trip they offer practically if you wanted to (a couple have minimum Level 4) regardless of age or ability (assuming at least Level 3 mind you as they don't cater for beginners) and everyone is sorted out into groups that "match" and even if they don't quite the first day then a bit of moving around takes place.
I can't see how a SCGB grading of red, silver, gold or whatever can be of much good to be honest because it's just too subjective, and depends on who is dishing the grading out and all that. I expect a bit of clique comes into it as well. So even if you book on a holiday of the "right" grading for you, you're bound to have quite a wide discrepancy in ability I'd have thought? Puzzled
ski holidays
still well worth it for me - The insurance cover - now they have sorted the admin out - is one of the best value ones if you want to do off-piste and ski in the US. The discounts are reasonable. I have had some great freshtracks hols and plan to have some more.

The mag however which has just arrived is not the best edition that I have ever seen - but I will take my gripes about that elsewhere.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, ooh perhaps you might be able to answer my question above about the grading thing then if you've been a few FT holidays and plan to do some more?

I've never been on one myself as I've said but is the grading thing reasonably accurate or not?
latest report
stoatsbrother, on the subject of the mag I do think there are better ski magazines out there. It's alright to have a read of in the bath though but I wouldn't bother keeping it.

I do find it's full of adverts and does ram the SCGB down one's neck so to speak. I know it's their magazine but it's Ski Club Ski Club Ski Club all the way through which is a shame.
snow report
stoatsbrother, nice to see "advertorial" heading some of the pages, though.
VolklAttivaS5, grading is not the most precise of sciences, there's probably going to be an element of subjectivity whoever does it. FWIW, I think I was slightly over-graded for off-piste, my grading for on-piste feels right.
snow report
Hurtle, thanks and ok.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I think most of the variability in the grading process comes from the variability of the individual skiers performance although I have seen a few people who were heinously undergraded.
ski holidays
The main advantage I find with the SCGB is the Rep service, which is a good way to find people to ski with when you go on holidays on your own like I do.

I've been on one FT holiday. I didn't enjoy it, the SCGB reps were ok as were the other skiers but something about it wasn't right. Because of that I'm not in a rush to go on another FT holiday. (Also, most of the ones that sound appealing to me were PE, ie for the over 50s)

I'm not sure about the grading system. On the FT holiday, which is the only time I've been graded, I was relieved not to be graded "don't ever ski again" as I was completely out of sorts.

I wasn't impressed with the SCGB insurance, and for the last few years I've been with Direct-Travel.

I intend staying with the SCGB but that is mainly for the repping service.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rich.ll, I went on a PE holiday when aged 44. At the other end of the age range Achilles was on it too... NehNeh

The club insurers used to be pants - and we let them know - so they changed it.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, the gradings are not really that subjective.

I have been on 2 Freshtack sholidays; firstly to Argentiere e about 3 yrs ago and then to Zermatt last May. Both excellent.

Zermatt especially good- last weekend of the season- great powder, very good skiers- although most quite old (there were about 4-6 at/under 40 of 16).

Given th eweek and the village not surprising that everybody very keen.

All skiers Purple/Gold standard- what does that mean- well on piste- ski in control really quite fast- that means very few other skiers if any went faster than us on piste over the 3 days- no falling.

Off piste it means linked turns in all snow conditions up to quite steep - no falling- quite fast (or very fast) .

Don't knock it till you've tried it!!
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, I haven't enquired about a PE trip because of the age limit stated, having read what you said maybe I'll make an enquiry. Thanks.
latest report
Quote:

Also regarding the Peak Experience holidays (for over 50's) sometimes I've seen one and I think that looks good and the price and the dates fit only to find it's a PE trip and I'm way too young to go on it.

I am over 50 but I'm also much too young to go on one, average age must be ??? or it was on the one I bumped into in Zermatt wink
ski holidays
edsilva no I'm not knocking it because I haven't tried it so I can't do that. I was just asking if the levels were about right or way out, to which you and others have now given me an answer. Some say yeah they're right and others say no they've seen them to be a bit inaccurate for some people. It wouldn't put me off trying a FT though. I think the resort chosen has got a lot to do with the sort of people/skill level it attracts like in the example of Chamonix.
latest report
Colin B, I went on one a few years ago - as mentioned above - and the lamest skier was someone in their 30s. I hope one day to get to an age either or a standard where people 10-20 years older than me are not whipping my butt on skis.
snow conditions
just saved £550 on trip for next year using 10% disc, well worth my membership snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Interesting comments, I've covered the cost of membership on discounts alone if I take into account discounts I've got for the whole family on lessons, coaching, transfers and gear.

I tried to find a Ski Club rep once in Mmammoth and failed misrably, despite the fact said rep supposedly met people in the bar I was staying next door to and I was in there every night! Other than that I've been happy to find my own way around places but I might use 'em at some point... if I can find them!

Haven't been tempted by the FreshTracks approach, horses for courses but it seems a bit earnest for me and I'd rather choose those I ski with and who coach me unless I'm doing a specific course and even then it's usually clear who is doing the training.

The magazine IMHO is generally okay but has it's ups and downs, the issue just out on a quick glance seems much better than the one this time last year though... much prefer Fall Line though but I'm a ski mag junkie and it's as much as I can do to resist the Daily Mail mag, which I don't particularly like but still find myself contemplating buying when I see it in the newsagents rolling eyes Toofy Grin

BTW VolklAttivaS5, I need to reply to your PM - sorry for the delay!
ski holidays
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

The mag however which has just arrived is not the best edition that I have ever seen - but I will take my gripes about that elsewhere

Ooh dear, and one, very critical, Club member appears already to have upset poor old jacksonhole! Shocked You'd best not be too harsh with him if and when you air your own gripes.

wink
latest report
I'm happy to pay the money just to get to all the data on the website..cos i'm sad and like sitting at work seeing where to go and what has the best snow...the fact that I get the membership fee back with the discounts is a bonus..especially the 50 quid of skis at S&R
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

The mag however which has just arrived is not the best edition that I have ever seen - but I will take my gripes about that elsewhere

Ooh dear, and one, very critical, Club member appears already to have upset poor old jacksonhole! Shocked You'd best not be too harsh with him if and when you air your own gripes.

wink

Not seen the mag this year but it wouldn't surprise me if all the UK mags aren't up to their usual standard. They all rely on advertising revenue to a lesser or greater extent and that must have fallen off a cliff lately. Plus, there's a new freebie competitor out there this year called In The Snow (blimey, who thought that snazzy title up?) and they'll be cutting a slice of the cake too. Sonds to me, from all of the above, that most folks justify their membership of SCGB on the basis that the discounts outweigh the membership cost. I'm sure the same discounts could be had by non members who simply demand it.
ski holidays
Frosty wrote:
two for one at the ski show in Olympia and Brum.

That's not such a good deal. To be frank if you can't rustle up free tickets for the ski show then you shouldn't really call yourself a skier.

Added to that, I though that it was disappointing for what I'd paid last year, and I'd got in free. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy