Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bracknell Ski slope resurfacing

Poster: A snowHead
Not off to La Tania until mid Feb so I'm feeling in need of a quick fix of plastic.....

On a drive past Bracknell last week I noticed that they appeared to be resurfacing the main slope - does anybody know if it's finished yet ?

Also is 150cm still the longest they have any decent shaped skis in ? At 6'2" it felt more like snow blading than skiing - still fun though !

Do Bracknell still do the 'improvers' group, a kind of really informal ski around with an instructer for an hour or so sort of thing, no booking, just turn up.

Cheers !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A ski slop, hodsonb? Shocked
I don't like the sound of that!

Please excuse my cheap dig, hodsonb. I see you are new to snowHeads. Welcome to our merry domain, and Merry Christmas. I'm sure in time you will get lots of chances to get your own back. I make lots of slepping mostaks and silly slips. But I can never resist a great "typo" such as yours.
(I wonder if you did it on purpose . . . )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the slope is supposed to be resurfaced by the middle of january. It'll be the white stuff (permasnow?) which is a lot slippier (and quicker) than the dendrix(? - diamond shaped steel backed thumb breaking bristly stuff).

Yes, Benny still does the 'Technique class' on tuesday nights at 7:30-10pm where he'll work with you on some element of your skiing (I'm still on upper/lower seperation). Better than free practice, but don't expect private tuition - more critique and tips. Of course, he's still in Siviez this week where I left him on sunday Wink £17 for the night - with a break for coffee - free unless it's your round Wink
We've been doing technique most weeks since late october - I find it an excellent way to become aware of your skiing if you want to improve. It still takes practice - but this way you know what you're aiming at.

Yes the ski selection is fairly naff Sad If you're lucky you get a set of small carvers - if you're not you get straight planks. I wonder if you need the longer skis on a dry slope?

We'll be going back on tuesdays after the resurface is done - I'll be in a lime green jacket Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool,

I phoned up the slope and they said that the resurfacing would be done by mid Jan.

I'm not off to La Tania until the last week in Feb. My wife has given me a early pass so I get to spend a week there with my best mate before she and our other friends turn up. All in all 17 days Very Happy

I'll be sure to come along to Bracknell for at least a couple of Tuesday evenings just to get a little bit of practise in before hand - so I'll look out for a lime green jacket.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
so is it done yet?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Has been completed and open for about 2 - 3 weeks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
how is it then?
Planning on going next week Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lbt, Hemel slope could do with resurfacing (Epic HINT)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's it like then ?

I tried out the 'nuresery' slope just after they had done that. The new stuff is like sitiff white extra long astroturf.

It seemed a lot more consistent then the horrible diamond pattern stuff. But a bit like skiing of "soft ice". Trying to get any real edge grip required much greater angulation than before and to be honest was a lot more dificult.

Opinions (or helpfull tips !)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok, Initial thoughts :-

Seems to run quicker
Less heat generated in ski bases ( although was a damp night and I was using the chair lift rather than the drag )
Consistent surface seemed to allow easier practice of rotary skills
Watching peoples attempts to Hockey stop turning into long side slips probably backs up hodsonb's views about setting edges and angulation.

Overall experience, favourable once technique was adjusted to the different feel.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hodson - have had my first board lesson on the white stuff a couple of weeks ago - am hoping that the fact you need to be more decisive (i guess what you mean by angulation) will mean that when we get onto the soft stuff it will be much easier!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow is sooooo much easier (ice is a different matter though).

I remember clearly my first day on snow after weeks of lessons on a dry slope. It was bliss ! You'll love it....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
UUUUGHHHH!!!! It was horrible!!!

Well, that was my first impression after 2 weeks away and feeling like I'd actually learned something Smile

It improved as the night went on though. I still can't "ski" it.

Good points:
* A lot, lot, lot faster!! (so much faster that it's nearly a bad point)
* much less risk of thumb damage (I reckon)
* I found it less painful to fall on (though it still burns - so thick gear is good!)
* you need to be very positive in your technique to get an edge

bad points
* it's too hard to get an edge and you slide like crazy
* I think it's like skiing a huge ice-sheet (never having been daft enough to try!)
* It melts skis - seriously. mesk1, half the skis are knackered - our instructor melted the bases on his down to the rails during the night.

Overall
I came back from 2 weeks (and 6 full days of level 5 lessons) in Whistler skiing acceptably.
Noticeable improvements in my extension, pole technique, variable terrain, powder, edging skills etc.
I wanted to consolidate these and practice them - instead I fell over within 20' and spent the rest of the night going back to basics.
I know my technique needs work - but it wasn't that bad - for snow at least.
So quite depressing Sad
On the positive side: if I can learn to make my technique work there then I think I'll have no real problem with snow (or ice!)
We'll be back next week.

Still, there was one particularly humorous moment Smile
At the bottom of the slope there's a run-off area that goes up about 10'. On top of this is a 6' high, 6' wide section of 'half-pipe' (essentially a ramp that finishes point vertically up)
You'll need this information later - but I suspect you can see where things are going Very Happy

So I was trying to go get some angulation and was paying more attention to my turns (v. long radius - so not much deviation from a straight line!) and they had a bit of edge to them so not much friction.
All of a sudden I noticed I was doing about Mach 3 and I was at the bottom of the run - oops.
I knew I couldn't hockey stop on this stuff yet (it takes forever).
I saw the ramp and I thought "I'll go up that and reach over the top and hold onto the back"
So up I went
and up
and up
and I reached out.....
and the top of this half pipe is totally flat and about 3' deep.... nothing to hold onto.

Apparently the look of surprise on my face, together with the cartoonishly repeated grabbing and grappling for a handhold whilst in that moment of suspension before the inevitable slide back down to earth, was "quite amusing" to the rest of the people there who proceeded to laugh until they cried (Thanks Robbie, Dean, Neil etc etc)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lbt, Having used the slope again in very dry conditions my views are revised slightly. The speed was reduced far more than I expected ( there was certainly no worry about running up the quarter pipe ) and the bases took a hammering.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dont understate it lbt, it was the funniest thing we have seen in years.

You actually made out INSTRUCOTR CRY, the poor guy had tears rolling down his face, as he watched you try to grab onto somthing that just wasnt possible, as previously only seen in cartoons (Tom adn Jerry maybe?) and then slide backwards back down the halfpipe less half your equipment.

However, why did you thing that would work anyway, what were you going to do when you got to the top if you had then managed to hang on? Just hang there, waggling your legs below you??? Puzzled

The rest of us couldn't ski for the next 10 minutes, it took us that long to stop laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Robbie, there wasn't a great deal of thought put into it!! Shocked

The cunning plan was focused on stopping without much thought given to what would happen next!! rolling eyes

Personally I was quite chuffed that I thought to steer up it and avoided an otherwise very boring crash Embarassed

PS - I used to do a lot of rock-climbing so hanging-on wasn't going to be a problem.

PPS I was most upset when we found that the security camera wasn't aimed in the right place and there was no footage!!

PPPS It was funny wasn't it Cool snowHead Cool Very Happy
latest report
lbt - That's very amusing. I live in Bracknell, alas, about two minutes from the slop but haven't tried the main slope yet. I tried the nursery slope some months ago and it felt strange, so i can imagine the main slope is alot faster. At the time i asked why the resurfaced the little slope and not the main one; the response i got was that it would be too fast.....excellent. Look forward to trying it. Will have to wait though...i'm off to Les Deux Alpes and hopefully La Grave next week!! Woohoo!! Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing

*unable to type, laughing to hard at memory of it again*

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy