Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crossing the water this winter

Poster: A snowHead
Speed Ferries out till February

EuroTunnel possibly closed 4-6 months?

Scrapped/Reduced or gone Bust Airlines.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article4737592.ece

What is Plan B?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-09-08 13:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton, Swim? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank god I am going West!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, sorry to disappoint, but Speedferries is not "out till February".
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton,

Guess, I'll go P&O.

1st trip booked pre-Xmas with EJ so I am covered so far.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry to disapoint again but only one bore of the tunnel will be partially closed, caused no problems last time it happened see no reason why it will this time
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
EJ - December, BA - February, Eurotunnel - April.
Hopefully the first 2 are safe and it gives them 7 months to sort the tunnel out. I feel pretty confident.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordhan wrote:
Thank god I am going West!

i should still keep your fingers crossed because there will be a few other airlines that will topple before the end of the year! Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B wrote:
EJ - December, BA - February, Eurotunnel - April.
Hopefully the first 2 are safe and it gives them 7 months to sort the tunnel out. I feel pretty confident.

I thought I was safe with BA, then they cancelled my route and gave me an £800+ alternative, so I booked the tunnel instead. Is my New Year trip doomed from the start Sad Sad .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are flying over to Amsterdam with KLM then smoking ourselves into oblivion
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smokin Joe,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well no problems with Eurotunnel after the last fire, so I expect to be taking the Tunnel again come Jan. No worries from my perspective
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, I've got a crossing booked for Friday 28th November, I'm not too worried either. It's at 20.20 though on a Friday evening so not sure how many extra hours I need to allow because I will need to travel down the M25 on a Friday afternoon/evening!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, I'd leave as early as you can and arrive as early as you can. Chances are they will put you on an earlier crossing. The day before Good Friday this year I was on one that was 2 hours earlier than my booking.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, yeah good idea. I was going to get there in plenty of time me being me, I prefer to be there in plenty of time rather than by the skin of my teeth but it hadn't occurred to me I could go on an earlier crossing if I get there too early. I know they allow you onto the next one if you're within 2 hours of missing the one you were meant to go on if you're stuck in traffic though.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, depends on the height of your vehicle. If it's over-high then it has to go on a single decker and there are fewer of them.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, no it's just a normal car.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Boris, I've got a crossing booked for Friday 28th November, I'm not too worried either. It's at 20.20 though on a Friday evening so not sure how many extra hours I need to allow because I will need to travel down the M25 on a Friday afternoon/evening!

I remember the first time I went on the tunnel lost about 2 hours on the M1, was flying down the M20 at well over 100 to get there in time, only to be sat waiting in a queue for an hour.
ski holidays
Kel, hmmm yeah. Well multimap says 4 hours from my house to Folkestone so I reckon if I set of at 2.00pm then that leaves 5 hours 20 minutes to get there and allowing an hour for check in, only need 30 minutes to check in I think. Hopefully in that time I should be past M25 before the tea time rush starts. Might even have to leave at 1pm instead.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Tricky one - you could fly round M25 or crawl. I would leave an hour early and miss the worst - M25 can be a nightmare Friday night - best case you get an earlier crossing - worst you have a coffee and break at terminal
snow conditions
Boris, true. Probably good to make the most of a proper break though if I'm earlier-35 minutes break on the crossing itself isn't really that long in the grand scheme of things. I've not been by Eurotunnel before-I know you can get out of the car when it's in the carriage but do most people stay in their cars and have a sarnie while they're crossing or something? The Eurotunnel website doesn't give a lot of info on what to expect. Very Happy Embarassed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 12-09-08 21:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, the crossing is pretty non-eventful. I tend to look out the window until we're in the tunnel - then there isn't anything to see. Sitting in the car reading, eating, napping, looking at map is about the only thing to do. With 3 young kids I tend to have a walk around to stretch the legs - usually to the loo rolling eyes

We're on the overheight usually with roofbox - and they only have loos at each end of train so can be a treck and a queue if there is a lot of coaches on. Kids have a habit of deciding to go half way across. On the car decks loos are every 3 coaches so easier to get to.

On the rare occassions I'm on my own - I never get out the car
snow report
Take a flask make a nice cup of tea, Very Happy
Some just read the paper's
some join the mile under club.......... Toofy Grin So I'm told wink
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, well the train going into the dark tunnel - very suggestive Cool
ski holidays
Boris, In all the crossings we have done I think only once did we suspect that in a car behind us they were joining the mile under club Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boris, Boredsurfing, thanks. I think I will use the opportunity to stay in the car, no need to get out as I'll be on my own, study my map and to have some food and a coffee. Once you're in Calais how long does it take roughly to disembark and get going on the motorway? Is it clearly signposted i.e how to head south? Someone else said you can go wrong at Calais if you're not careful. Dunno what they meant though.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, there are no customs or anything on the other side - you clear them all on the UK side. So as soon as train stops I'd say couple of mins then you are driving off. Exit goes straight onto the motorway which goes past Calais - so you either filter into the lane which takes you inland towards Reims, or off down the coast towards Boulongne. Very very straightforward

By South - I'm assuming you are heading Reims, Dijon, Lyon
latest report
Boris wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, Tricky one - you could fly round M25 or crawl. I would leave an hour early and miss the worst - M25 can be a nightmare Friday night - best case you get an earlier crossing - worst you have a coffee and break at terminal

What he said. You cannot predict the M25 especially on a Friday, but there is no such thing as the tea-time rush hour, it last's from about 1pm with all us Northerner's going home from the smoke snowHead and goes on till about 7 pm.

Best advice be early if there is room they will let you on, but if you are late they will only let you on when there is an available space, or so I believe.

IMHO It is the only way to cross the water but it is a none event.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, As Boris says, its straight off the train and then as long as you know which towns are next on your route (or their general direction) it's very straightforward.
ski holidays
Boris, Cool .That's brill that it's only a couple of minutes and you're on your way making progress down the autoroutes. So presumably they might have been inferring that they went wrong and went towards Boulogne instead of down towards Reims then! Hmmm. Laughing I'm really looking forward to going and giving driving a try, 11 weeks today until departure. Didn't seem that long ago that it was about 6 months to departure! Very Happy
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, If heading to Reims, the only thing you need to watch out for -is that soon after you join the motorway from Eurostar - you bear right onto another motorway towards Reims. Miss this and you're in Belgium. But keep your eye on the signs and you can't go wrong
snow conditions
Boris,
Quote:

By South - I'm assuming you are heading Reims, Dijon, Lyon

yes, indeedy. Reims, Dijon, Lyon and then Via Michelin says go towards Chambery and then Albertville, Tarentaise and then I'm almost there I guess with about 100km to go according to the Via Michelin. Do you think Via Michelin is the best map site to go by? I'll have a Euro map with me anyhow as a back up.

Kel,
Quote:
Best advice be early if there is room they will let you on, but if you are late they will only let you on when there is an available space, or so I believe

Yeah I might even alter it to an earlier crossing perhaps, or set off at 12.00 midday and see if I can get on an earlier one. Just means I can have a longer break the other side.
latest report
Just check Google Maps - its filter from A16 onto A26

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Calais,+Pas-de-Calais,+Nord-Pas-de-Calais,+France&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FSeOCQMd70IcAA&ll=50.936039,1.911964&spn=0.04576,0.11055&z=13&iwloc=addr
snow conditions
Yes Via Mich is fine - map as backup
ski holidays
Smokin Joe wrote:
We are flying over to Amsterdam with KLM then smoking ourselves into oblivion

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5,

M25 on a friday...hmmm.. I'd want to be past Heathrow by 2:30 and approaching Dartford by 3:00 to avoid the rush.

If you go past Heathrow at gone 3:00 you can lose two hours getting past the A3, IME from the M40..!!! and I think the trafiic doesn't start geting lighter until $:30 or so... lighter, not thinning out to normal speeds...

IMV, M25 and fridays don't mix unless early or late... and your travel time will be out of the window
ski holidays
JT, oh. Sad Well I've got to go on the Friday one way or another because I need to be in Tignes on the Saturday afternoon/early evening. If I leave Friday morning then I'll be in Tignes too early so to speak and I don't want to stay overnight after getting to Calais-I won't sleep anyway because I'll want to get going. And if I catch a really late crossing on the Friday night then I still have to drive down to Folkestone during rush hour this end and I'll get stuck this end then instead because of the Gloucester/M4 traffic presumably.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Why won't you sleep if you stop somewhere ?

I usually book a ferry at a similar time to your tunnel crossing and find that a day stuck in traffic in the UK has worn me out enough to sleep just fine.
latest report
rjs, what I was on about was if I set off Friday morning and get a crossing earlier say at 4.00pm to avoid the M25 traffic right, (my crossing is 20.20 ATM) then to carry on driving straight through to Tignes would mean that I'd be arriving about 7.00am including a few hours for stops which is too early really to get in the room and I'll be knackered by then anyway. So that means stopping overnight if I do the set off Friday morning idea and setting off again at say 8.00am to arrive in Tignes 'bout lunchtime ish/early afternoon say. I know I won't sleep because I'll have set off that morning and will be thinking about the rest of the journey. Thinking about it though perhaps I will be knackered as you say because I'll have been driving/travelling for 8 hours.

If I keep the crossing the same as it is now at 20.20, I was gonna drive through the night with stops of course so I will arrive in Tignes about 11.00am. I can then ski if I want or if knackered go to bed until afternoon tea.

So tell me what time you set off from your house (Manchester! Jesus just saw where you live-no wonder you need to stop overnight!) what ferry do you go on and where do you stop overnight? What time do you leave next morning and what time do you get to Tignes? I might change my crossing I think, I live closer to Folkestone than you and your way of stopping overnight is safer.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 13-09-08 1:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, I understood what you meant, I think you are underestimating how tiring the drive will be and the impact that will have on how you ski. I drove out to Tignes without stopping overnight once, I wouldn't do it again.

You could easily get to Reims before midnight French time, stop in a chain motel overnight then be in Tignes mid-afternoon the next day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy