Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel Fire

Poster: A snowHead
Any one got any thoughts on how the fire will affect cross channel capacity and prices if the tunnel is out of action for a long period of time.

http://kentonline.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=47979
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know the tunnel was near capacity for the February half term on some peak timings. IF the tunnel takes 6 months to be re-lined (As last time) it's touch and go if both running tunnels will be open. Speed ferries we know from another thread are in dock, so I guess prices can only go in one direction!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
According to CNN it is still burning !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, no, we don't "know" that Speedferries are in dock though we might think so. - that was a misleading thread title in more ways than one. You don't want to believe everything you read, even on Snowheads. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just from an observation POV, Stack is past jct 9 M20 tonight..... Puzzled Shocked

I'll know more tomorrow ( sat )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fire again? And from the freight shuttle AGAIN?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc,

yes... the carriages are open sided and they don't enclose them due to cost, I think.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Train services on a reduced basis have now resumed, see BBC
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kentonline are saying tunnel blaze worse than the one in 1996 and it could take more than six months to fully reopen

http://kentonline.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=48444

Eurotunnel have the following travel advice on their website

""Travel information for bookings from Monday
29 September onwards

Whilst we endeavour to resume our normal service as soon as possible, it is likely we will be running a revised timetable. Should your booked departure time be affected by the revised timetable, you will be contacted before your date of travel.

To rebook your travel for an alternative date, please call our Customer Contact Centre on 08705 35 35 35.

To cancel your booked travel and request a refund, please click here""
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dz4d1v, hmm. thanks. I must ring them up early this week - we are booked to cross with eurotunnel next Sunday. If there's any problem I'll postpone that crossing to Christmas and go on Speedferries - I have one of those multi crossing superticket things.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the horses mouth.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcPassengers/ukcCompanyContactUs/ukpTravelInfo.htm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w,

In view of the fire, the ferries have re-scheduled to take advantage of the limited capacity of the tunnel.

Informal or gossip about the tunnel is that they will run at less than 50% of normal service but I'll doubt you'll get that confirmed by them.

The ferries are very very busy atm if that is any indication.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, thanks, I'll have to pull finger and get on with arranging something. It's not critical when we travel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,

I could make a call to get a right upto the minute 'guess' but this weekend the ferries have run late-late because they have full loads outward and inward.

Hint..watch how often OP Stack crops up on the news. That means one travel sys, ie docks or Tunnel is over loaded and if it isn't the weather, guess what else it might be..!! I haven't seen it ( Stack ) this weekend but Friday was called as such. I drove straight through, ie , no diversion from jct 9, M20, onwards, but that still meant check-in at the ports was slow due to full loads. Now that is a week after the fire so make of that what you will. Maybe they are stacking the lorries back at Maidstone..which I don't get to see so much.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7628215.stm
ski holidays
JT, I've only just made those amendments to the crossings for end Nov as we discussed on the crossing the water thread a week or so ago!! I don't want to go by ferry now I've sorted it. It's a good 2 months away though until I go (28th Nov). I just thought I'd have to allow more time setting off because it might not be shifting the traffic as fast. What do you reckon?

Bet the ferry prices are going to go up now. If you book a ferry then cancel it say the week before then do you get your money back or not?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5,

I don't follow the ferry prices as I don't have to pay for them but I think the ferries are more than happy to have the traffic and business. So not sure about price rates or cancelations but I would imagine they would want to be refunding too much.

I don't think it is a question of getting away, just what time do they run to..ie, how late they might be...
If you have booked a train then the tunnel will know now how much traffic they can run to so you should be ok.
As for getting there, I am travelling the M20 from jct 10 to Dover and I can say that there aren't many delays so far. Keep an eye on the weather as this will slow down ferries and that will/might cause Stack. I don't think I am far wrong with the 'guess' about tunnel/train capacity but they will have their new schedules in place now and if you a re booked they must think they can cope with that timing. The ferries will have organised their sailings as well so you will be booked onto to a train schedule and will not notice how much capacity they have....they couldn't/can't book you on that train at all if they don't have revised room for you. The problems come when revisions have to be made very quickly and by the time you go, a new schedule should be well in place and unnoticable .. The only thing might be that there are less spaces to actually be able to book...
snow report
VolklAttivaS5,

IIRC you are travelling by train..? the scheduling should be amended by now so if you have that time, turn up for that....allow a little time extra for traffic on the day, thats all.
I think the tunnel will have reduced capacity for quiet a while..all it means to us is that there might only be 7 trains an hour instead of ..?? It wil be ok, I am sure.
snow conditions
JT, yes they've booked me for the 14.20 both ways so you're right they must think that crossing time will be alright. After all they are more likely to run the daytime crossings I guess.

Good idea about keeping an eye on the weather though because if bad weather that will slow the ferries down or reduce the number of crossings and increase the road traffic.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 23-09-08 13:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
VolklAttivaS5,

Not sure what figure or company that is aimed at..P&O would do that on a bad day alone IME.
You will be alright with the schedule for that week, unless something unforeseen happens.
For a limited number of cars, the bigger ferry companies take over-spill from
the tunnel anyway in those instances.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy