Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Report Austria 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks, waynos. I think I'll give that one a miss Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Waynos,OMG!!! Just looking at that picture of the skier and the cliff gives me the wobbles, hope he has good edges Shocked Fantastic photos,I skied Obertauern yesterday and found it surprisingly empty for Easter Monday. Off today with my son to Wagrain, weather is perfect and the pistes were great til about lunchtime Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from our Easter week away in the Ski Amade...... and my God it was hot ! Stepped off the plane at Salzburg on Mon 6th April at 9.30am and the blast of heat from the tarmac almost reminded me of the 1st time I holidayed in Corfu. poo-poo, I thought. This doesn't seem promising. Worst fears were confirmed when we climbed into our hire car and the onboard outdoor temperature gauge was reading 21C !!!!!

Tues 7th and Wed 8th we skiied Zauchensee.... or tried to at least. By 10.00am the lower slopes were complete slush. We gave up at 2.00pm and headed for the bar because even the highest slopes were proving very demanding. I hate trying to ski in treacle !

Thurs 9th and Fri 10th we tried out Flachau. We made sure we were there as soon as the slopes opened (8.30am) and had much more fun. It was pretty icy but much more manageable. Higher up, conditions were much more how I prefer until about 11.30am. Me and my son did the run down into Wagrain during lunch-time. We had the slopes to ourselves. Great fun !

Sat 11th we ventured to Forstau. Here, snow conditions were much, much better and we had a real good day. We even caught a little of the action from a downhill race that was taking place. Very impressive !

Easter Sunday and Easter Monday we tried out the ReiterAlm at Gleiming for the 1st time. What an outstanding resort ! Top class facilities and excellent slopes but, again, by 11.00am the heat was almost unbearable when standing still ! Trying to ski all the way down was an absolute killer on the legs.. but we did it anyway.

Would post some photos...but I'm not sure how !

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 15-04-09 19:29; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
burkeyblue, skied Zauchansee today. Started off on nursery slopes with my son, great conditions, warm and soft. Headed out myself around midday, slopes slushed up nicely especially east and south facing. Was on some new slalom skis, super heavy, so slashing throug the slush was great fun, though hot work. Slush can be wonderful fun to play in, just needs an energetic state of mind and best done in short burst. Supposed to be some snow friday higher up, hard to beleive right now, about 23 in the valley at the moment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fabulous Fieberbrunn - had a great day there today. Superb weather, again sun and blue skies, and not too many folk (although the car-park was surprisingly full). The first photo shows the beginners' area between the Wildalpgatterl and Streuböden, with button lift (and gondola going up to the Lärchfilzkogel).

Given the weather the snow was in good condition, though soft and sugary in places. There are also a few bare patches appearing but still no problem about skiing down to the valley.

The next photo shows the long Reckmoos Nord chairlift. Most major lifts were running, although the Reckmoos Süd gondola closed down about one o'clock, maybe just because the piste was becoming too soft or maybe because of avalanche danger (the warning lights were on).

I had lunch at the Hochhörndlerhütte, where a man with a guitar sang (something about Adam and his ribs) and yodelled. What more could you ask for?

But it does look as though spring is coming and the skiing won't last much longer.

However, it was a very fine end-of-season day Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Hochfilzen today - the runs were broken Laughing

Hochfilzen is a small area, with only two T-bars - and a "magic carpet" ...

Hochfilzen itself is largely the back side of the Buchensteinwand, with the rather more interesting runs down the other side to St. Jakob im Haus (/St. Ulrich / Pillerseetal). All together the Buchensteinwand is a pretty restricted area which I nevertheless enjoy for the odd day's skiing. It could be a good place for beginners who aren't looking for miles of pistes (though the runs on the St. Jakob side aren't optimal in that case either, for they are either too steep or have quite long flat runouts at the end). However, to progress, other areas like the Steinplatte or Fieberbrunn aren't far away (and are on the Schneewinkel lift pass). Here's a view looking towards some of the Fieberbrunn runs.

Oh well, we can but dream of next season
Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone know what it's like at Kaprun at the moment?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B wrote:
Anyone know what it's like at Kaprun at the moment?

Warm and rainy. Good cover up top.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth R; my son has been training up there for the last 5 days, said the snow was great til about 12ish, then very soft. Hardly anyone up ther during the week,forcast for the rest of week is between 6-8degrees at 3000m, light rain possibe.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SOrry about the typo Elizabeth B; didnt have my specs on!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also, just in case anyone is planning a trip here, the glacier will close from 2-10 June for revision work.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got back from a week in Kaprun. The 1st few days were very soft and warm, but then the temperature dropped, the snow fell and we had an amazing couple of powder days. Yesterday was particularly good as the sun was out.

There were very few people around, just 3 school groups and a couple of race teams.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy