Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Report Austria 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
Alex - you will have an amazing time.
Stay above the resort reds which were slushy anytime other than first thing and use gondallas to get down - save the legs for the higher up better runs and the apres!! Wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pilgrimage, Thanks, although with lower temperatures forecast, the lower runs might still be OK. If I do take a lift down, it would be the funicular, but then I'll need the bus to get back to my hotel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney,

have you sorted out where to watch THE match yet? It starts at 18:30 CET on Beeb1, with S4C as bad weather back-up.

I could pick you up if you like and you can watch it at my place if there is nowhere in resort. Bring your own beer and crisps though wink

Espri is hoping to meet up as well for the skiing, I'll ask him about the rugby when I talk to him tomorrow - we just need Steilhang to appear then it will be a mini MSB Laughing

Sue Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
alex_heney,

have you sorted out where to watch THE match yet? It starts at 18:30 CET on Beeb1, with S4C as bad weather back-up.

No, I haven't yet.

I have no idea if there is anywhere ion either Ellmau or Going, or if it might be on one of the channels available in the hotel.

Quote:

I could pick you up if you like and you can watch it at my place if there is nowhere in resort. Bring your own beer and crisps though wink

That might be good, but it doesn't look likley I will know until I get there.

Quote:

Espri is hoping to meet up as well for the skiing, I'll ask him about the rugby when I talk to him tomorrow - we just need Steilhang to appear then it will be a mini MSB Laughing

Sue Very Happy

Sounds good Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney,

Quote:

No, I haven't yet.

I have no idea if there is anywhere ion either Ellmau or Going, or if it might be on one of the channels available in the hotel.

Could ask here of course - I doubt very much if it will be on your hotel system unless they have an "interesting" Sky set-up Very Happy Ellmau has a fairly large UK-based cliental, so it could be that someone has a Sky Sports set-up somewhere in the area but then you may have to compete against football if there is anything interesting going on in that strange game.

My Sky system is organised through a variety of tricks that most ex-pats indulge in. According to my TV engineer, I'm very close to the edge of the beam and if I move further south or east I'll either need a whopping great dish in the garden or may luck out all together for the Beeb and the other Freeview channels.

Sue wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
alex_heney,

Quote:

No, I haven't yet.

Could ask here of course -

I have, both in the rugby thread and in other threads. Nobody seems to know, so unless I get an answer in the next couple of days, it will be a case of asking the reps or the hotel staff when I arrive.

Quote:

I doubt very much if it will be on your hotel system unless they have an "interesting" Sky set-up Very Happy Ellmau has a fairly large UK-based cliental, so it could be that someone has a Sky Sports set-up somewhere in the area but then you may have to compete against football if there is anything interesting going on in that strange game.

My Sky system is organised through a variety of tricks that most ex-pats indulge in. According to my TV engineer, I'm very close to the edge of the beam and if I move further south or east I'll either need a whopping great dish in the garden or may luck out all together for the Beeb and the other Freeview channels.

Sue wink

I did think I was unlikely to get it in the hotel, although when Wales won their first recent GS, I was in Tunisia for the final match, and was able to get it (with French commentary) in my hotel room there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney, the nearest place might be the London Bar in pedestrian zone of Kitzbühel, if they have a TV system. Kitz being closer to you than I am but not by much. There might also be a bar in Soll or Scheffau, I think I read about somewhere there but I'm not sure.

You probably struck lucky in Tunisia because of the French connection. The Austrians are not that big on the noble game rolling eyes They prefer to delude themselves with the round ball version.

Give me a bell if you luck out - I'll keep the phone on.

Snow is looking good, with more on it's way tomorrow, Friday, Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday (currently predicting a heavy dump on Wednesday for my area) It can all change though at the drop of a hat. Monday is looking very good weatherwise though with a light frost -1°C to +8°C in my village (800m). With luck there will be no traffic chaos though as the main roads are no longer cold enough for the snow to stay.

Where you flying into Salzburg or Munich?

Sue wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, Flying into Salzburg. I land at around 11:30, and it's supposed to be about an hour and a half transfer, so the odds are I'll be at the hotel by about 2PM.

From the map, it looks like the Astberg lift should be walkable from the hotel, so hopefully I'll get a couple of hours skiing in.

Yes, I'd seen responses to others (from Kuisler) that there should be a bar in Soll showing it (The Sports Bar), I'm just not sure how I'd get back. Post-bus shouldn't be too expensive to get there, but has stopped running by the time the match finishes. According to Kuisler it was 10€ from Soll- Scheffau in a taxi.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Salven Stadl, the Whiskey Mhule and Bar Austria all have Sky and UK terrestrial in Soll.
The latter two with commentary as opposed to music.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, just back from an afternoon in Ellmau - super day and the snow conditions perfect, except at the very bottom. I think all 5 seasons passed during the afternoon - summer with glorious sunshine and fabulous views in every direction. Then back to winter as the snow showers blew hurriedly in. After the snow shower it was Spring like with the sun coming and going and a cold wind on the Kitz side (wind from the NE was biting). The place was empty by the way - I was mostly the only one on the pistes at Going.

I'm not sure if you can actually walk it from the hotel to the Astberg Chair lift - the path if there is one will not be a straight line, but I think I saw the hotel had a mini bus doing shuttle runs maybe.

I'm going to scrap the plan for a 7 hour Rugby afternoon and go skiing tomorrow in Soll probably or maybe Scheffau - just depends on the traffic going up to the Ski Welt area. If it is heavy then I'll drive to Soll as it is easier to reach because I have a motorway pass and can drive round to Wörgl and use the fast road up to Soll.

Have a good flight out

Sue wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A few pics from Obertauern 3 weeks ago - sorry it has taken a while to upload them. The weather was like this for 2 or 3 days out of the week, the rest was cloudy and overcast, even windy - anyone who has skied Obertauern will be familiar with the weather!

But you can see, when it was good........it was VERY good!!! wink wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
alex_heney, just back from an afternoon in Ellmau - super day and the snow conditions perfect, except at the very bottom. I think all 5 seasons passed during the afternoon - summer with glorious sunshine and fabulous views in every direction. Then back to winter as the snow showers blew hurriedly in. After the snow shower it was Spring like with the sun coming and going and a cold wind on the Kitz side (wind from the NE was biting). The place was empty by the way - I was mostly the only one on the pistes at Going.

It did look pretty quiet on the webcams today Smile

Thanks for that.

Quote:

I'm not sure if you can actually walk it from the hotel to the Astberg Chair lift - the path if there is one will not be a straight line, but I think I saw the hotel had a mini bus doing shuttle runs maybe.

No, it wouldn't be in a straight line, unless there was a path across the fields Happy

I was looking at the maps and google earth, and it lokos like about 150m along the main road towards Ellmau, turn left, about 200m along a small road, left again and about another 150m to the lift.

There are ski buses (3 minutes to the lift), but the last one before the lunchtime pause is 13:35, and that is about the very earliest part of the timeframe I expect to arrive within.

Quote:

I'm going to scrap the plan for a 7 hour Rugby afternoon and go skiing tomorrow in Soll probably or maybe Scheffau - just depends on the traffic going up to the Ski Welt area. If it is heavy then I'll drive to Soll as it is easier to reach because I have a motorway pass and can drive round to Wörgl and use the fast road up to Soll.

Have a good flight out

Sue wink

I hope to Happy I'll be leaving here in under 7 hours now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After a few days of warm spring weather, eg no powder, the fresh stuff arrived. Good and cold, -10 at top, with 15 - 20cms overnight and another 10-15cms during the day. Played between Haus and Planai of Schladming. Did some big off piste lines that I hadn't done before, very sweet. The powder was sooooo soft Smile

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a fabulous day out in the Ski Welt region with Alex_Heney

I picked him up at his hotel at 8:30 and we drove down to the Brandstadl lifts in Scheffau. We skied over to Soll and Hofgarten areas then back to the Brandstadl. The new gondola up to the Hohe Salve definitely looks and does the business. After a pit-stop in the Rigi Restaurant - best views in the whole area IMHO. We made our way back to the Scheffau area.

Glorious sunshine more or less all day - Föhn winds trying to fight it out with an approaching cold front from the NW. The snow is holding up brilliantly especially in the upper areas. A small snow, ice and rock avalanche had been released sometime recently from the back of the Hohe Salve - probably by the piste control last night as it looked very fresh. Lots of areas of powder for those who wanted to play but the avalanche warning lights were on and several slopes (route) were clearly closed because they were obviously prone.

Down at the bottom of the home run it was a wee bit mushy - we call it sulzig here - soggy corn texture, but not quite as wet and heavy as melting snow.

Both of us had the old burning legs syndrome at the end of the long run down, so I took Alex back to his hotel and came home to soak my battered old knees in the bath and watch telly!

Tomorrow it is looking like Brixen/Choralpe to take a butchers at the new lift up from Westendorf which has opened up a new piste - rumour has it that it is steeper than the Hari-kiri in Mayrhofen.

Forecast for tomorrow is looking OK - light Föhn from the south west, sunny with temps around 5/6°C at midday- should be another excellent day!

Maybe meeting up with Espri and his friends for a mini-MSB either tomorrow or Wednesday. The weather looks OK for the whole week with maybe more snow on Tuesday and Wednesday, then temperatures rising to 13°C on Saturday. As that means Föhn in our neck of the woods, that could change quite quickly to a lower actual temp for those folks coming out next week or Easter week.

Sue wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well just got in from my trip to Bad Gastein and what can i say appart from amazing, its the best snow and best fun ive ever had on a ski holiday.
I went with the wife with Ski Miquel and stayed at the Hotel Tannenburg, we stayed there 5 years ago but 2 weeks later on than this date and the snow was wearing thin in places and slushy low down.But this hol was different as not many sunny days but plenty of fresh snow especially on friday when it dumped down giving fresh tracks and powder every where.
We took the free ski leading that they offered and were taken to most of the best runs and places to eat on the mountain.
And like i said friday was the best day for us with some real great off piste moments and plenty of knee deep white stuff to play in.
Must go have a bath now as i feel knackered, but for those who have never been i would say it is a must do resort with enough for everyone to keep happy...... even the wife Smile
Darren
snow conditions
Is this the right thread for some feedback on Obergurl / Hochgurgl. Out there in 2 weeks never been before what can we expect??
ski holidays
RetroBod wrote:
Is this the right thread for some feedback on Obergurl / Hochgurgl. Out there in 2 weeks never been before what can we expect??

Looks good ca 2.5m base

http://www.bergfex.com/obergurgl-hochgurgl/schneebericht/

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Obergurgl_Hochgurgl_snow_report.html

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Obergurgl_Hochgurgl_snow.html

It's 1800-3000m high and minus temps are mostly forecast while other parts of Austria are forecast to see ca 20 Deg C this weekend.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/obergurgl-hochgurgl

for example compared to Söll, SkiWelt it looks very good ....
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/soell-skiwelt/
latest report
With a friend, I met up today in the Skiwelt with Samerberg_Sue and Alex_Heney. We started out in Ellmau and skied over to Brixen (down the Nieding run). Whole area was very quiet, with us often having pistes to ourselves. Up top the snow was fine and plenty, on the runs down into the valley it became rather heavy and soft. Although the light was very flat to start with, the sun appeared about lunch time, so that we had a good day's skiing with great views over to the Wilder Kaiser.
snow conditions
Very enjoyable today in Igls with v good conditions for the time of year and height of resort. Had the place virtually to myself. Snow fine higher up with about 8cm powder on a firm base. Softer lower down and can't quite ski back to the village at 900m. Was snowing again when I left this evening.
snow report
Skied today with my friend in the Kitzbühel area. Arrived at the Fleckalmbahn to find it stormbound and out of action. Then only managed to squeeze into the last parking place at the Pengelstein gondola with the help of a friendly parking attendant.

Because of the high winds, we didn't ski too far, fearing that we might get stuck somewhere far out. After runs on the Silberstube and Kasereck, we took an early lunch. The wind was blowing strongly and there was light to moderate snowfall for most of the day (though it had started with blue skies and there were occasional blue patches later). In the afternoon we skied mostly on the Pengelstein I (the Pengelstein II closed after a while; the 3S seemed to run on all day). Later we moved on to the Hieslegg and Hochsaukaser lifts and conditions were good, an inch or two of new snow - just my sort of powder Smile .

At the end we skied down to Aschau, a black piste that I suspect would be classified blue in Les Deux Alpes (there I was surprised at the steepness of some blues, though the French do classify them as for intermediate skiers rather than beginners). And we only had wait five minutes for the bus back to the Pengelstein.

All in all, a good day, though chilly at times, somewhat reminiscent of Cairngorm.
snow conditions
Today my friend and I started in Jochberg (near Kitzbühel) and skied the Kitzbühel Ski Safari to the Panoramabahn above Mittersill and then back again. Snow conditions were great, with about a foot of fresh snow, and the weather was fine to start with. Pistes were quite soft. The snow soon took its revenge, however. Cutting off the corner below the Jagawurzhütte above Jochberg, I had a fall when my skis dug into a snow-filled hollow and I was catapulted out of both bindings. That's not the first time but this time I managed to smash a ski pole. Worse still, I managed to rip my ski pants too. Wot a pain Sad

Nevertheless, we had a great day and I quite enjoyed skiing with only one pole. We lunched at the Toni-Alm alongside the Panoramabahn; I would recommend that. Also recommended ski waxing for €7 at a little hut by the lift in Pass Thurn - very friendly man there. Skiing back with tiring legs, we skipped trying the run down under the 2000er lift and stuck to the pistes and so arrived back in Jochberg without further misadventure.
latest report
Wednesday's adventures started in bright sunshine at the top of the Hartkaiser again with Alex_Heney We decided to mosey over towards Hohe Salve again as we had enjoyed the route on Sunday and also on Monday with Espri and David (non-sH as far as I know). The Ladies Day tariff was a nice surprise for me - 17 Euros for a whole day so it will feature more often on my calender if I can get Wednesdays off work.

It had snowed overnight again - photos will be posted to show how much fell at 800 metres on the north side of the Alps when I learn how to do it!
Pisting of the runs was as ever, immaculate, Cool and at 11:00 we were still skiing corduroy as there were so few people around. The off-piste was amazing but my knees are not yet ready for that risk, so we stayed on piste. The runs down to the Aualm Hütte were amazing, and empty. Late skiing in term time in Ski Welt is definitely worth it this year. Even though it was Wednesday afternoon we saw very few classes of local kids having their "sports Lesson"

Skied as far as Foischingbahn when my legs started to give out so we decided a late lunch in the Aualm Hütte was the order of the day instead of the Rigi. Weather was starting to close in and the light was very flat. By staying on the south side of the ridges we avoided most of the high winds and searched for the tree lined routes where the light was better.

A fresh made portion of Käse Spätzle and a glass of milk (Spezi for Alex) gave us both the much needed energy boost. Cost 8.80 Euros and I struggled to eat it all, despite not having eaten brekkies.

But the weather was turning nasty so we then decided to make our way back to the Hartkaiser so if it really closed in we could easily get back to the car and home. By the time we got to the Hartkaiser Bergstation the weather was not very nice at all, so I called it a day. Alex skied down the Talabfahrt while I fell asleep in the new Panorama Restaurant. When you can see further than the first pylon of the funicular the views from the place are breath-taking. The lower slopes were in a much better state than the previous couple of days and not at all soft according to Alex.

Today I'm resting and will ski again on Sunday but in Salzburgerland then! It is snowing heavily here right now and my car is completely covered again, so digging it out later today as I need to get into Rosenheim for a few things. Life's hard, then you go skiing and everything is super Toofy Grin

Sue wink
latest report
Sue

My family and I (Wife and 3 kids 18, 17 and 13 ) arrive on Mon 6th April and are staying for 8 nights in Altenmarkt. We shall be using the same "Youth Hotel" that my school uses for our annual Feb half-term trip.

It is our intention to ski Altenmarkt/Radstadt, Zauchensee, Flachau/Flachauwinkel and possibly Forstau too as they are all resorts I am very familiar with.

Just been on the Radstadt web-cam and it is clearly dumping massively as I type ! Simply cannot wait !

My wife (47) and youngest were absolute beginners when we did the same trip last year. They absolutely loved it and I was quite proud of what I was able to teach them. Got them to do Blue 10 at Zauchensee by the end of the week and was able to give them both a medal that I had procured from one of the local ski schools. The looks on their faces as the took off their skis at the end of that run will live with me forever !

Your tails of your current adventures are excellent and are causing our anticipation levels to rise by the hour...... please keep us up to speed on the snow conditions.

I know it's bound to be a little busier by the time we arrive, but we can more than put up with that if the snow condtions are going to be as good as they would seem.

Anyway, back to preparing my A-Level PE lessons....

Pete Burke (burkeyblue)
snow conditions
burkeyblue, I got out of the UK school system in 1993 after it chewed me up and spat me out - 20 years in a now defunct comp in inner city Brizzle!

I took lots of groups skiing to all the Alpine areas and most of my trips towards the end of my teaching time were to St Johann im Pongau - always to the same hotel where we were welcomed and treated like royalty. The Austrians know the meaning of quality and the value of getting customers to return time and time again. I was given a certificate, special badge and lots of other goodies after my 20th visit. It is quite an honour to be given the title of "Stammgast" makes the local papers here in my village (a Bavarian holiday area) with the goodies being given out by the local mayor. I also get a discount on my bookings at my current regular hotel when I return. My friends who go there also get a discount when they mention that I recommended the hotel.

I skied for the best part of 15 years in France (I thought it was easier to be where I spoke the lingo). In the 70s the resorts in the Haute Savoie were very much like the Austrian ones, but then the city bottom-dwellers discovered that there was "gold in them thar hills" and it went rapidly downhill in the worst way - massive increases in prices only matched by a blatant disregard for the environment, service and repeat business. After being rounded up along with every non-ESF ski instructor one Easter in Serre Chevalier when the local director of the ESF said unlicensed teachers were working in resort, I turned my back on France and went to Austria to work and loved it, even though I did not speak much German at the time. I'm now fluent and living and working in Germany right on the border with Tirol.

I'm coming back to skiing after a 3 year enforced lay-off due to injury. The Wilder Kaiser Ski Welt and Salzburger Sportwelt Amadé regions provide everything I need to be sure of a safe and fun return.

Lots of snow falling all over the place right now, with plenty more forecast to come at the weekend, so the Sat/Sunday should be good if the muscles can regenerate in time, today they are still very stiff and tired - too much lactic build up from tiredness Sad Total lack of fitness! rolling eyes

You should not have any probs with snow cover, despite the low altitude of Altenmarkt. An awful lot of bovine solid waste is spouted about heights, snow-sure locations, etc. As a rule of thumb add about 400m to the height of any Austrian resort when comparing it to a French one. The French ones need to be higher as their weather is strongly influenced by the Maritime air masses which can produce much milder and wetter weather than experienced in Austria or points east!

Enjoy the Amadé region at Easter I know I will!

Sue wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue,

Amen to all of that !

At 47 years of age and currently in my 25th year as a teacher (Asst Head at a very successful, oversubscribed Comp in Suburban Liverpool), I have often considered dropping everything and going for a total change in direction ! Sadly, I have never had quite the 'circumference of testicle' required.

Hats off to you and your curent lifestyle.

Thanks again for all your updates re my favourite area of Austria.

Keep 'em coming !

Pete
ski holidays
Hi Sue,

If you come to our neck of the woods give us a shout and maybe we could ski together.

We live in Mühlbach am Hochkönig - where about do you live?

Me and my wife also are ex-teachers!!! We gave it all up to live here and run a pension!!

Maybe see you soon.

Nigel
snow report
djfletcher, am sending an email via your web site!

Sue wink
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
It had snowed overnight again - photos will be posted to show how much fell at 800 metres on the north side of the Alps when I learn how to do it!

Sue, there's a sticky thread in the Après Zone which explains how to up load photos to the forum: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25601. It worked for me!

Schönes Wochenende!
Eric
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, espri, Thanks very much indeed to both of you for meeting up and skiing with me during my trip.

I arrived back home around midnight last night, after probably the best week's skiing I have ever had (only my 8th week though, so that isn't as spectacular as it might sound).

The conditions, as already reported above by both of you, were superb, with only the bottom few hundred yards of the home runs being a bit heavy at times. We had even more snow overnight on Wednesday, resulting in several inches after the pistes had been bashed. Great fun to ski!

Saturday was very warm, and I finally decided at the last minute not to bother skiing, particularly since the hotel wanted us out of the rooms by 10:00AM.
snow report
alex_heney, Glad you got back OK - I thought it would be a late night for you though!

Do you want to know that it started snowing on Saturday evening and has not yet stopped! We had sleet here at 800m all day yesterday - wet snow really, but over night it has really dumped on us AGAIN! So I'm going to have to get the snow shovel out of the cellar so I can dig my car out. My landlady put the shovel away sometime on Saturday thinking winter was over - DUH!!!

I loaded a few photos into the Media zone on Friday so if you want to see yourself go to

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/849 - some of them are quite big files as they are from my DSLR, but the ones I took last week are there and they are smaller as I used my compact for them.

My knees are still complaining after last week - I'm off to make an appointment with my surgeon just to make sure I have not upset the apple cart too much.

Let me know when your pictures are uploaded!

Sue wink
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I didn't take all that many, but have uploaded most of them, starting here
snow report
Had intended to go to Alpbach today, the furthest away area on my pass, but when I only struggled out of bed at half past eight, I decided to stay nearer home and just drove to Waidring for the Steinplatte instead. Great weather but real spring stuff. The snow was soft and stodgy and off-piste was hard work. I did the Nordhang twice and twice skied a little off-piste around the Schwarzlofer; otherwise I stayed on the pistes. The Kapellenlift broke down for a while but that didn't make much difference, for there was hardly anyone there, especially in the afternoon.

Kammerkör ...

Nordhang ...

Spot the Picasso ...

Spot the skiers ...

You can't Laughing - the only one I saw on my last lift trip is hidden by the chairs.

Good day but hot, hard work.

P.S. Still tons of snow - lifts running till 13.04.
snow report
Does anyone know what the forecast is for next week in Kitzbuhel?
snow report
beanie1,

Try this !

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Kitzbuhel_snow.html

Hope it helps.
ski holidays
As you can see from the forecast, the weather has turned hot. What I forgot to mention in my report yesterday, was that, although the snow wasn't that bad up the top, lower down it was the sort where you felt that someone had poured glue on the piste. I expect Kitz will be much the same.
latest report
No updates here for sometime. Well I'm enjoying my last ski trip of the season in Schladming and Ski Amade area. What a contrast to 3 weeks ago. Spring has been skipped in favour of summer. Glorious unbroken sunshine, 20+ in the valleys by midday. Still piste skiing from top to bottom, conditions actually very nice in the mornings and fun deep slush later on.

Did the ski tour from Dachstein to Obertraun / Krippenstein today. Got up Dachstein for 9am, was around 0 degrees then at 2700m with a reported 4.5m of snow. The tour is pretty easy, involves some uphill bits which in the hot sunshine as we descended became hard. Found some nice spring snow off the main route here and there. Eventually join up with the Krippenstein ski area and skied all the way down, seriously warm by the time we got to the bottom, but there was a cold beer waiting before the bus trip back to schladming. Staggering scenery on the whole 25kms, well worth a day out, particulalry in the current conditions. The dachstein cable is being kept open til 1 may for ski touring.

The entrance to a run called Edlegreiss down the south face of the Dachstein towards Ramsau.

The ascent towards Hohe Dachstein (2996m)

We skied down that somewhere.
ski holidays
waynos, some nice pics there. Have seen that it's getting very warm in the Ski Amade area at the moment.

Kersh
latest report
Knee-knocking photos! Is the track in the first photo for going up (right to left) or down (left to right)?
ski holidays
Started out for Fieberbrunn this morning but ended up skiing in St. Johann in Tirol. That turned out well and I had an enjoyable day - the last day of the season here (as in the SkiWelt and Steinplatte). Snow soft in places but never really unpleasant; sun and blue skies all day. Could ski down to the valley without difficulty (though getting patchy in places). Here a couple of photos...

As far as I know, in this area only Fieberbrunn and Kitzbühel are open up till next weekend.
ski holidays
espri, down (left tp right). To get to the traverse requires climbing a series of ladders to a tunnel from the north face through to the south face. I think the traverse is cut out by ski patrol. Not done the run myself, the ladders put me off, the route down sounds pretty good so I think i'll end up doing next season.

Kersh, another hot day. Given how hot it's been the snow is holding up pretty well, all that early season man-made and bashing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy