Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

age old problem - skiing with young kids

Poster: A snowHead
need your ideas please..

2 kids - one who skis one who doesnt
skier is 5.5yrs non skier 2.5yrs
have used esprit in the past but getting expensive
need creche for youngest
need am lessons for eldest + afternoon activities
need good sized ski area for adults - we are good skiers happy to ski most runs. prefer mainly on piste.
travelling late jan / early feb (outside school hols)
no self drive - must fly
apres ski not important as we ski hard and sleep a lot !
prefer catered as self catering is hard work after a long day on the slopes but willing to look at other options - ie hotels etc

views / ideas/ names of suitable companies appreciated (have already tried familyfriendlyski in la tania and its a possibility)

many thanks
Jonathan & Kate
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used Crystal in Alpe D'Huez and Morzine and been quite happy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surely the solution is to go to la Ros
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just ski with the elder one and let the wife look after the little one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, you're absolutely right and that's why La Rosiere is Ski Espirit's most popular resort but it needn't cost a fortune. There's a very good nursery/creche - Les Galopins that takes kids from 18mths to 12 yrs. There is a good choice of smaller TOs who give good child discounts, look at www.tracksvacations.com or www.morealps or www.amountainchalet.com all of whom offer good discounts for kids sharing family rooms. There's also Ski Olympic among the larger operators as well as Ski Espirt, Crystal etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
backhojo, Have used Ski BEat in La Tania and were happy enough - all the kids in Creche at time.

For last 4-years have stayed in Vallandry which I think may meet your requirements:

Linked to Les Arcs or La Plangne via Vanoise Express - so enough for adults to do
We used the Tom Thumb nursery in village - privately run French nursery, but speak English and looked after our daughter well when aged 2,3,4
Either New Generation or Darentasia offer lessons for youngsters - although may not run due to lack of numbers outside hols
ESF were fine for our boys (aged 7, twins) last year, but wasn't impressed with them for complete beginners
Quiet family friendly resort

In terms of accommodation - we always self-cater as gives us more flexibility, but there are a couple of hotels there although pricey. Also Ski BEat have chalets there and many other companies do

Lots of info at http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/

Vallandry has several villages

I have no commercial interest in Vallandry or anything - just like it there
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
backhojo wrote:
need your ideas please..

2 kids - one who skis one who doesnt
skier is 5.5yrs non skier 2.5yrs
have used esprit in the past but getting expensive
need creche for youngest
need am lessons for eldest + afternoon activities
need good sized ski area for adults - we are good skiers happy to ski most runs. prefer mainly on piste.
travelling late jan / early feb (outside school hols)
no self drive - must fly
apres ski not important as we ski hard and sleep a lot !
prefer catered as self catering is hard work after a long day on the slopes but willing to look at other options - ie hotels etc

views / ideas/ names of suitable companies appreciated (have already tried familyfriendlyski in la tania and its a possibility)

many thanks
Jonathan & Kate

I would suggest Saas Fee, option to go by Train as well as Flight.

http://www.hotelalphubel.ch/a_fe_1.htm

We stayed at the Alphubel which is the wrong end of town for the slopes however there is a free 'bus' on-demand to the slopes and their sister hotel (at the lift stations) where they have free lockers so no need to carry equipment with you.

Fantastic creche when we were there which runs until 18.30.

Nursery ski area is great for children and there is a snow garden just next to it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
backhojo, Anyone that takes there skiing serious would get a divorce. If that's not an option try Serfaus
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Family Friendly Skiing in La Tania ticks all your boxes.

No association with them at all, just a happy punter Smile

http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
backhojo, I have usd Crystal many times in the past, we went to Les deux Alpes this year in their Clubhotel, and have used Clubhotels in a few different resorts. The childcare (creche & nursery) has always been excellent, the hotels are what they are (cheap & cheerful) but have never been dissapointed they are always clean, staff are friendly and the food is always decent.

It is also highly likely you will get at least 1 free child being as you are going outwith the school holiday period. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for your advice i shall investigate the options mentioned.
la ros really does not "float my boat" as i think there will not be enought skiing to challenge me and my wife. i have also heard the link to italy can be dodgy. i think if i am going with esprit i would prefer Alpe D'huez or val d'isere.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
backhojo, get the youngest one skiing!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, many places will not take children so young for ski school though. Their limbs are often not strong enough
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

many places will not take children so young for ski school

We found this.

The youngest we could get our children started was four (at a push 3.5). I think it may also be due to insurance etc. I would also say that there is a big difference in what children of 2.5 and those of 3.5 can do physically. Children that young (2.5) probably won't want to be hanging around in the cold for too long.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I started lessons just before my 3rd birthday in Risoul.
snow report
Hi there,

We have just booked with Premier Neige in Sainte Foy in a beautiful Chalet. This resort/company tick all of the boxes in terms of family friendly, creche all day for 3 year old, ski school am creche pm for 5 year old, premier will even pick our 5 year old up from ski school and deliver to creche!! There is even an option to have a private nanny for the week.

The resort is really compact, everything within 100m, I believe you can sit and sip coffee whilst watching the little ones on the nursery slopes, and then bob off to the chairlift 20 m away when you feel like some skiing. Very Happy

Its not a huge resort in terms of on piste options, but well sufficient for our group of mixed ability. There is some superb off piste I am led to believe, he says drooling quietly NehNeh

We did some serious research, around 4 weeks and reviewed everything available from La Plagne, La Tania, Les Arcs (went to 1950 last year - superb too, but doesnt have the same compactness), Norway, Sweden, Austria etc etc, and this has turned out (we hope!) to be by far the best option.

Hope that helps, Neil.
snow report
neilkav, Ssssshhh, for goodness sake, there is no off piste in Ste Foy.... wink
ski holidays
backhojo, Grandparents? wink
ski holidays
Ah - just cottoned on to who David La Rosiere is Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy, do try and keep up Laughing wink
latest report
.... at Last wink
snow report
Boredsurfing, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I have 3 kids, 4 8 and 11. Took them skiing for first time 3 years ago to Belle Plagne which was OK, but 4 hours transfer would put me off again. Next year went to Claviere, which was pretty crap in fairness. This year we took them to Oberlech, having been to St Anton several times and once to Oberlech with my wife and another couple (left the kids with my sister). Taking note of the budget thing, probably Oberlech is not ideal BUT they do offer a free creche facility to those staying in Oberlech hotels www.oberlech.com The skiing is great around there and there is a great toboggan run from Oberlech to Lech which is open till 10 at night. Our kids absolutely loved the place.

Think your 2.5 year old is probably too young. Our 4 year was not quite strong enough this year, although the ski school was 2 hours in morning and 2 in afternoon, which I think is fairly common in Austria - oh and it was cheaper the ESF by the way, so do not be put off the expensive tag that Lech gets. Yes, the hotels can be expensive, but once you're there it is cheaper than France believe it or not. Beer 3-4 Euros and Goulash soups typically 4-5 - and that's in Lech.

Just takes 1.5 hours from Innsbruck

We have booked Stuben for next years family trip. Stuben lies half way between St Anton and Lech. Had finances been better I would have had no hesitation booking Hotel Montana in Oberlech again, but this would cost me in the region of 3500-4000 Euros for the week. However Hotel Hubertushof is Stuben looks equally as good and has free nanny service etc. www.stuben.com Having skied around St Anton and Lech 6 times now, I know that Stuben does not have much skiing into it - only 2 runs, but both are fantastic and ones that your 5 year old could cope with no problem. It is linked with St Anton, so plenty of skiing for you guys. You can also get the bus to Zurs and Lech, about 5-10 mins away. And if you like off piste, Stuben has tonnes of powder. Downside, is that the village is only hotels and guesthouses. Only 2 shops I think, but by the sounds of it apres ski is not your thing. The hotel we're going to is costing around 2600 Euros for the week for 5 of us, and that includes 2 addult lift passes.

I book independently these days as UK tour operators simply do not cater for families greater than 4 (although did note that Ski Esprit had a few chalets that did). Whilst it may be appealing to book through Crystal or whoever, you might actually find that getting hotel with free nanny service etc works out cheaper by the time you pay for the youngest to go into the creche - which in my experience (twice with Crystal) are not that great - all the attention goes to screaming babies and the older kids left left painting etc (can't understand why they can't play out in the snow????)

Anyway that's my tuppence worth.
snow report
cathy wrote:
Ah - just cottoned on to who David La Rosiere is Toofy Grin

Yes these people who change their name are a right pain aren't they?

BTW anyone heard from boredsurfin or Frosty
snow conditions
backhojo, All our skiing with kids has been done in the US or Canada. Longer flights but some great deals to be had and childcare is superb and reliable.

12 year old has been to Canada 4 times and the US 4 times. The 6 year old Canada 3 times and the US 3 times.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
backhojo, All our skiing with kids has been done in the US or Canada. Longer flights but some great deals to be had and childcare is superb and reliable.

12 year old has been to Canada 4 times and the US 4 times. The 6 year old Canada 3 times and the US 3 times.

really? Every time I've looked it's been lots more expensive than a week in Europe, care to share some examples???
snow report
[quote="johnnyh"]
Quote:

Children that young (2.5) probably won't want to be hanging around in the cold for too long.

Not true at all. Get them a diddy set of skis and they'll love it. Find a gentle slope, back away from them a tiny bit and get them to slide to you for a morning. That's all it takes.

Did that this year with my daughter, who was just over 2 years and 4 months and she absolutely loved it. Even better if the resort has a magic carpet lift. She loved riding that as well.

Did just over an hour of messing around on skis, had lunch and asked her if she wanted to go back to the hotel. 'No want to go skiing again' was the reply.

We came back home and she was 'skiing' around the house on a couple of remote controls for weeks afterwards. She got very excited last week when I told her that we were going skiing again in Austria in a few months time.
snow report
Lager, You can not generalise in this way. There is a large dependence on the weather, not to mention the individual child (and not all adults have your patience either).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy