Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre Ski Exercises

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Im new here and will be going on my first ski holiday in Jan 09 to Italy, can anyone point me in the direction of a exercise program, I have done many searches but cant seem to find anything. The program ideally will be done in my local gym using the normal equipment ie weight machines, cross trainers, rowers and treadmill ect.

Thx in advance

Dave
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ninja21, welcome to snowheads Dave.

Aren't there any personal trainers down your gym? If so they should be able to devise a schedule for you, based on the kit they have in the gym.

Just be sure to mix up the CV and strength work and do it till it really hurts snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And if it's your first time skiing be prepared for weird aches/pains regardless of how much exercise you do beforehand Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads Ninja21.

It would be easy to go overboard here, but if it's your first time skiing then you'll want to focus on good general fitness with an emphasis on your quads and improving / developing your balance.

Lunges / squats are probably the big mama of exercises here as they work your aerobic fitness, quad strength and balance all at the same time. (Which is why I'm so rubbish at them!). Do get some input from a trainer though as it's easy to knacker your back by doing them incorrectly or too enthusiastically. The good thing about these is that you can do them at home for free.

IMV, of the machines, cycling is your best bet, but do make sure you "pull up" as well as "pushing down" on each revolution. Rowing and steppers are also good with cross-trainers and treadmills being great for general fitness, but the least ski-specific.

You could also usually do some work on your balance - simple things like standing one leg when you brush your teeth or when you stand in a lift being great simple things you can do to develop your balance awareness. If you can find one then try standing on a wobble board whilst watching a bit of TV. (I stand on a wobble board when I'm doing the ironing - but that's probably not that sensible a thing to do.)

If you were more advanced then there would be all manner of other suggestions including working on core stability, plyometrics etc, But as a beginner, just focus on that stuff. Oh, and having fun.

Do also consider getting some lessons in the UK - even a few lessons will make a big difference to how you enjoy your first time on snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton,
Quote:

(I stand on a wobble board when I'm doing the ironing - but that's probably not that sensible a thing to do.)
Hey, so do I! Not a wobbleboard, though, one of those half-dome balance ball thingies. And a sports physio I know recommends not hanging on when you're travelling on the underground. Both those exercise are good - you have to do them well, or risk injury either to yourself or to others! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ninja21, welcome to snowHead 's

i have some ski specific exercises and stretches on my site here http://www.pleva.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/skiexercises.pdf
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton wrote:
IMV, of the machines, cycling is your best bet, but do make sure you "pull up" as well as "pushing down" on each revolution. Rowing and steppers are also good with cross-trainers and treadmills being great for general fitness, but the least ski-specific.
Unless you intend to do cross country skiing Toofy Grin .
Interesting stuff although I'm not sure how I'd do my back an injury with squats and lunges. However, my knees sound sometimes sound like a herd of reindeer Toofy Grin which I'm not wonder it's doing them harm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thx Guys some good advice there, I will ask the Gym to devise me a program and hopefully get something my wife can do at home too.

Dave Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The ironing?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
peura wrote:
I'm not sure how I'd do my back an injury with squats and lunges.

People have a tendancy to arch their back as they do both, which causes lower back injuries if you push yourself.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, thanks, I'll know what to avoid now Smile . Maybe I'm not pushing myself Embarassed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
Ninja21, welcome to snowHead 's

i have some ski specific exercises and stretches on my site here http://www.pleva.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/skiexercises.pdf

Thx ill download them .

Dave Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with other posts. Joined a gym in May 2006 and got someone to set me a ski specific programme around October for going away Jan 07. That was the 1st ski holiday I never had aches and pains, having gone through the pain barrier day 2/3 for years. Would strongly recommend doing same - reckon 3 months before you go should be ideal.

Lots of squats, cyclying/xtrainer, work on quadroceps (?) and work on core muscles like abs etc.

The fitter you are the more enjoyment you will gain from the experience. Failing that just keep yourself topped up with plenty of vino tinto (??? cant remember Italian for gluhwein/vin chaud)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For all-round strength what I do is:

1)Leg extensions for the quads and leg curls for the hamstrings. I'm just under 11 stone and squat 20kg excluding bar weight. It's just about 'right' for having enough weight for building leg strength and not so much weight that I can't do high reps for endurance.

2)Use the two machines which strengthens the inner and outer thighs.

3)Crunches and lower back raises for core stability.

4)Tricep extensions and bicep curls - never know when you might need to poll along on a flat piste
Side arm dumbell raises to build up the shoulder.

5)dumbbell chest press and some other exercise to strengthen the major back muscles(one arm dumbell rows or 'lat pulls')

6)Calf raises on level ground to build up the calves. Helps with stability. Many beginners lean too far back which places a load on the calf muscles. Of course correcting bad form is the way to go but leaning forwards down the slope is one mental barrier most beginners need to learn to overcome.

For endurance I alternate between the treadmill, rowing machine and elliptical walker. I prefer the elliptical walker because the thigh muscles get a better workout so better for skiing.

General stretching for calves and hamstrings.

As said already the fitter you are the more you'll will enjoy it and be in better shape to practice correct form. Technique and form can suffer when your muscles are fatigued. Don't forget you need the fitness and energy not only for the skiing but also for the apres ski afterwards.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
look at skitv
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skitv/playlist.asp?intCategoryID=6
loads of exercises and much more.
latest report
Ninja21, I'm a bit less focused on specific pre season training, preferring to attempt maintain a general level of exercise and fitness. To do this I walk the dog, walk the dog up hills, I climb once a week, plus occasional badminton or skiing and gardening Skullie

The big problem for beginner skiers (and boarders) is acclimatising to the high altitude WHILE learning a new physical activity. To counter this I'd suggest doing stuff to build aerobic fitness (walking up steep hills as this helps with the legs too!) while taking as much instruction in the UK as possible before going.

The better you are before you go the easier you will find it from a fitness perspective. And you get to see more of the mountain Cool
snow conditions
You should check out www.profeet.co.uk and go to their ski area. On the left hand menu is 'Information' and then go to 'Health and Fitness'. On there is a list of exercises with diagrams you can do at home to improve ski-specific muscles.

Also www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com in their 'Ski Biomehanics & Physiology' section is great at outlining what you should be working on. This website also has online tips with videos on ski technique. I highly recommend their 1 day courses which are over the autumn at indoor snow domes throughout the UK.
latest report
Thx All

Dave
ski holidays
Ninja21, there are three things you should concentrate on if you want to improve the enjoyment of your ski holiday.

First, general cardiovascular fitness. You need this as a base for other training. This can include any CV exercise to about 70-75% of your maximum heart rate, such as cycling, walking/jogging, rowing, cross-trainer and so forth. Other good CV-type classes, if you're into that, are Spinning, Boxercise, Step and something like BodyAttack. Step is excellent because of the workout your leg muscles get.

Next, training the lactate threshold. Why? First, because a lot of skiing, particularly race style or off-piste pitches, are skied pretty near your maximum. You generally stop or lose form because lactate is building up in your legs. This can happen at quite a lot percent of your maximum heart rate unless you train it specifically. Training can raise your lactate threshold and improve the rate at which you metabolise lactate, allowing you to make hard efforts for longer. Second, because at altitude your lactate thresold will be reached for a lower level of absolute effort thanks to the lack of oxygen in the air. You will notice the benefit in the first few days of a holiday before you acclimatise.

How? High intensity interval training. This basically means intervals of close to maximum effort (90-95% Max HR) for anything between 45 and 90 seconds, with an interval of active recovery (that is you do some light exercise rather than stop). The recovery interval needs to be at least as long as the effort interval and usually twice as long. You can do this on an exercise bike, or in a class that emphasises lactate intervals such as Spinning. Lactate interval training will hurt, but will reap huge benefits.

Finally, core and leg strength. Some of the exercises have already been mentioned. Squats/leg presses are good, lunges are good PROVIDED you learn correct technique. Use of free-weights rather than machines starts to engage the core muscles too, which is good. It also allows the position of your feet to be altered to emphasise different muscle groups in the pelvis and upper thigh. If you like classes, BodyPUMP is good. Get some tuition in how to use a Gym ball (the big silver things) or a BOSU ball to make the exercises more relevant to skiing by bringing in a balance element. Emphasising the oblique muscles is also good (don't just do sit ups) - if your gym has a cable machine, ask about core muscle exercises such as the woodchop/reverse woodchop. Boxing training is also good PROVIDED you train both sides i.e. orthodox and southpaw equally. Otherwise you will end up favouring one side.

You should aim on the leg press machine to be pressing AT LEAST 1.5x your own body weight. This comes as a shock to many who think that 40-50% of their body weight is hard. You do need this level of strength, but need to build up to it slowly. Aim to start at around 8 repetitions and build up to 15. This will produce endurance strength for that kind of weight.
snow report
PisteHead, are you a man or a woman? just curious cos youll never see a self respecting man on those two machines for inner an outer quads! leg press, squats, lunges, leg extensions and leg curls - sorted! oh and abs - sit ups, crunches
ski holidays
I developed my own work out for skiing which it seems is mainly what docsquid recommends ...but I tend to use the cable machine to do my woodchops and all other related exercises all stood on the Bosu ..(i think this is the best bit of equipment in the gym)
I also do the squats carrying 20k on a bar and arm raises standing on it as well ....I can now do 1 leg squats stood on it....it is FANTASTIC for improving balance .try squat pulses on it ..3 sets of 12...but I will try the leg press but the math is a big number for me......... Laughing
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8095

I have a .pdf of ski exercises. Feel free to pm me an e-mail address and happy to forward on. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

And a sports physio I know recommends not hanging on when you're travelling on the underground Laughing

Good one, Hurtle! I do that when I am not feeling lazy and I get balance with my hips, i.e. when the train speeds up or slows down I don't lean the whole body to counter act the force, I move the hips only. Angulating on the Tube! Smile
latest report
Any of you posters tried stocky's program?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18967
latest report
comprex, i did but found it too difficult for me.... Embarassed
ski holidays
skimottaret, I credit my current mostly-functional knee to stocky's plan (and CANV's pushing me to stay with the swim).
latest report
comprex, Glad it has worked for you, you are a harder man than me Cool ... I do use a lot of his stuff, but the full routine with 3x reps i found too long and tough. i do less bosu stuff and much more stretching in mine plus some agility work and occasional back squats.
latest report
skimottaret, I should do more stretching. Embarassed Currently: none.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to a ski show a couple of months ago and sat in on a talk from one of the trainers for the British ski team and he said the best thing you can do to prepare for skiing is riding a bicycle - this uses the same muscle groups although nothing uses the muscles in the same way as skiing so you'll probably still ache some (a few beers will sort that out I'm sure! Lol) it will strenthen all the right ones!! Happy Skiing. Very Happy
ski holidays
Mountain biking is a good one IMO; you've got balance, core, leg strength, upper body strength and general medium intensity cardio with some high intensity thrown in. It's gotta be more fun than an indoor gym (yuck) Smile

I'm sure I've read that climbing is complimentary to skiing - again you've got lower body and upper body and of course balance! Cardio wise probably a bit variable - bouldering stuff gets my hr up but not so sure about outdoor trad (or maybe I'm just not noticing as scared/concentrating!).
snow report
heres a link to a pdf full of good exercises and stuff, not free though

http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/getfittoski/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy