Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring bindings on my Stormrider XLs?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My Stockli Stormrider XLs aren't getting as much use as I'd like, but don't want to sell them. Would they be any good as a touring ski? (Got 4 days touring planned in March) Or should I just hire?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, their metal top sheet would make them very heavy for a touring ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How much up hill will you be doing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, as a ski, I think they would do the terrain well enough. Not sure what the weight would be with FR+'s on..?

If those 4 days are hut-based, this is not a decision you want to get wrong weight-wise. I used the Stormrider pit light which was very light, albeit skinny but not really the same ski at all.

Hire what, where..? and then there are skins etc for the XL's....needs a bit of forward planning, IMV

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 7-09-08 21:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Verbier. Don't know how much uphill yet!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, Hire some real touring skis and see how you go... Putting Binders, skins and crampons on your Stormriders will not be cheap ! wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, don't listen to these old farts. Your young legs will carry the XLs a dream. They would make an awesome touring ski (for everyone if they were lighter Wink )

Do it. Get some Barons though, then you can ski them whenever you like and tour on them when it's worth it.

PS. The touring here only really involves leaving your skis outside the Farinet anyway. Barons all the way...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, when I went up Gd Paradiso one of the guys in the party used XLs. Did about 7 weeks touring on them each year, so I guess it works fine as a touring ski. I'd agree with ski though that it's not necessarily the most cost effective solution until you know you're going to be doing a significant amount of touring. Hire something until you know you're going to be touring on more than a low percentage of your skiing days - but hire a ski that you'd choose to ski, that happens to be light, rather than choose the lightest ski you can find.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For debate
0-1 hour Trekers, boot pack, anything.
1-2 hours Alpine boots, most any skis with marker type binding.
2-4 hours Touring boots, light skis, fritschi type binding.
4 hours plus Full light weight set up dynafit boots and bindings, touring skis.

This is for old farts, obviously.

Most important is not to be at the back so gauge the fitness and gear of your comrades and go one better.

Its a real compromise, you spend most of your time going up so want light, but get the most fun going down so want fat.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I regularly do 7-8 hour days, proper hut to hut stuff in very heavy, very stiff telemark freeride boots and unadapted freeride telemark bindings. The bindings aren't heavy themselves but the boots are not exactly tour friendly. Just do it.

As GrahamN says hire when you need uber light stuff but go Barons and have a great compromise set up too...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd agree with jbob a lot of it depends on the fitness of the other people in the group. If at least some of the other people in the group aren't as fit as you the weight issue shouldn't be too much of a problem. If however the rest of the group are at least as fit and on lighter gear you could be in for a very hard time on the way up. Heavy & stiff boots/skis are great for downhill but not when your legs have gone to jelly on the way up. For multiple day tours where the fitness of the other people in the group isn't known I'd go lighter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Every time we come back from a tour we talk about taking less weight next time Embarassed Like parlor, I tour on Teles - I have Tua Big Easys (very old and these days narrow) - with Superloops and (old) T1s (old fart I know) . Mrs Sk has Phat Luvs, Fritchis. Our boots weigh about the same - but her Skins, Crampons etc weigh a ton more than mine. Of course, when skinning, you can't really feel the weight of the ski - but you do when kick turning or boot packing. You could put some Barons on, but then by the time you bought skins and crampons you've spent a lot of money !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy