Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time to get specific discount skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I want to buy a pair of Rossignol Zenith Z9 170cm skis for the 08-09 season but would like to get them for a good price <£225 ish Smile

I hired some last season and loved them but didn't want to pay full price at the time but made the mistake of letting a couple of pairs pass me by on ebay. I fell foul of thinking the price would become cheaper the nearer to summer it got but it the end the supply just dried up.

Anyway, with the new season approaching, when can I expect to see the 07-08 model of these skis available on the cheap ?

TIA

Andy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pokemon wrote:
Hi,

I want to buy a pair of Rossignol Zenith Z9 170cm skis for the 08-09 season but would like to get them for a good price <£225 ish Smile

I hired some last season and loved them but didn't want to pay full price at the time but made the mistake of letting a couple of pairs pass me by on ebay. I fell foul of thinking the price would become cheaper the nearer to summer it got but it the end the supply just dried up.

Anyway, with the new season approaching, when can I expect to see the 07-08 model of these skis available on the cheap ?

TIA

Andy

any 07/08 models would have been discounted at the end of March/April, if you can't find any cheap now, you ain't going to IMHO.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Summits at 349 quid looks like to be cheapest. No benefit from importing, as far as I can see. Sierra Trading has some at $549, but only up to 164cm.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
€399

Delivery cost probably makes beequin's deal cheaper.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, as I suspected.

beequin, they only seem to have 162cm

brian, thanks for the link

I may be going to Zurich for a city break in the near future. Do you think a local ski shop would be a good bet at a deal ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pokemon, IMHO you'll be lucky to find something at this point.

Most local shops started clearing 07/08 stock in late March / early April as the 08/09 stock started coming in. Prices in most of the big internet retailers seemed to bottom in May - although Telemark Pyrenes have still be discounting stuff through the summer.

It's not to say that you may not be lucky and find a pair. But it's down to luck at this point.

As a general principle, as soon as you see a 40-50% discount then you should take it.

£225 is a very optimistic price given (IIRC) the normal retail on those skis of around £600.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton,

Would you say a 50% discount for ex hire skis is good if they come serviced and guaranteed, as this may be an option ?

Andy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pokemon - personally I'd want more on ex-hire skis - although you have to bear in mind that hire skis cost the retailer more because they are built to be more sturdy - for example, they generally have much thicker bases and more resiliant edges.

There's nothing wrong with ex-hire skis, but the do tend to be heavier than the retail version and, personally, I wouldn't touch a pair unless I'd skied them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm, £225's way too hopeful I'd have said. I got mine from filarinskis in their sale in March and they were something like 350 quid then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PhillipStanton,

Is that true ? I mean that the same ski is technically different depending on whether it's sold to consumers as opposed to hire shops ?

I always thought that hire shops got some skis that were specially made for the hire market but if you rented a ski e.g. K2 Apache Crossfire, then this would be the same as the K2 Apache Crossfire that you could purchase.

...and, I'm making my decision to buy a pair of Rossignol Z9's based on the fact that I hired a pair this year, so wouldn't this mean that I actually need to buy a ex hire pair to compare, if what you say is true.

Did you mean that you wouldn't buy unless you had skied that particular pair or just that model/length of ski ?

please put me straight on this...sorry

jonm, my price guide was because I "let" 2 new pairs pass me by for that price on ebay in March/April.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pokemon, fair enough. Reckon you missed a bargain!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pokemon - rental skis and retail skis ski very similarly, but not exactly the same.

I'd only buy a rental ski if I'd ski on that specific pair of skis. Otherwise you have no way of knowing how hard a life they'd had. It could be that that pair had loads of life left in them, but it could be that they'd been out every week for two seasons. How would you know unless you skied them?

(I'll also acknowledge that you could buy some second hand retail skis that have had a hard life. But Brits tend to change their skis every 4-6 weeks of skiing - so it's much less likely.)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pokeman, At that price on Ebay they may have been fake's. From our experience of Ebay if its too good to be true its fake. (We had a customer last week with another fake from Ebay - Head Extreme tennis racket which looked really good and we only just spotted this one after restinging it)

Or they are not selling in stores and are not worth having.

Another drawback of buying rental skis is that they have heavier bindings on them to enable both toe and heel adjustment. This also makes them nice and easy to pinch too.
Also due to the flexiblity of adjustment you will get alot of play between binding and ski - try a consumer pair they will be much better.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy