Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

multi-trip ski insurance

Poster: A snowHead
i'll be backwards and forward to different parts of europe next season and am looking at insurance.

To cover the whole season for winter sports Insure&Go do a policy for about £116.
However that's continuous cover, which i don't need. Probablly i'll be doing a week in december, a week in Jan, another in Feb & 2 weeks at easter.
On I&G normal multi trip policy they give 17 days winter sports cover. I'll be skiing about 33 days, so taking out 2 of those at around, for example, £30 each for the basic policy would seem the best deal.

any comments?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. I suspect that 2 annual policies would leave you open to both companies claiming that you were covered under the other one. I would think that either you go for an annual policy that covers 33 days skiing, or separate weekly ones for each trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
riverwhy, For comparison purposes have a look at www.dogtag.co.uk
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
riverwhy, direct travel, as many trips as you want up to 17 days per trip on their annual wintersports policy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Hmm. I suspect that 2 annual policies would leave you open to both companies claiming that you were covered under the other one. I would think that either you go for an annual policy that covers 33 days skiing, or separate weekly ones for each trip.

Can they do that? If you pay your premiums shouldn't you be able to claim whether you've taken similar cover somewhere else or not?

I know that some would see $$$ in fraud potential but do they legally have the right to refuse the claim?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well i wouldn't take out the second one til the first 17 days had expired....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
riverwhy, is that £30 for an annual multi trip with up to 17 days skiing? Sounds suspiciously cheap.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, my last one was £40, that includes a 10% discount for renewal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yes, same sort of price at direct travel, but it's only their basic (silver) cover.. gold is £38, platinum £45

what i don't know is whether the 17 days has to be continuous cover (suspect it does) , or if it's ok if it's split by a few weeks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://tinyurl.com/6j3bj4
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Direct travel also offer off piste without a guide for those of us so inclined
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,

Have a look at this site :-

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance

Its very good at telling you where to get the best value insurance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler, I don't know for definite, but I know most insurance policies say something along the lines of "we reserve the right not to pay out if you are covered under another insurance policy". How the two would determine who's days you skied on, I don't know.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, I went with http://www.americanexpress.co.uk/travelquote in the end.

Max trip 31 days. 240 max days in the year 70GBP.

Also includes Loss Damage waiver for hire cars which I had a separate policy for.

Allan
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
116 quid seems a bit pricy for a 17 day insurance. I'm sure mine is Flexicover worldwide travel insurance with 31days skiing for just over 100 gbp, but remember that I'm paying an extra premium for UK spec ski inurance for a non-UK resident.

Of course, read the small print regarding max trip lengths, 3rd party coverage, what sports (off piste?) are/aren't covered etc.

Most/many people will be double insured to some extent. They don't cancel each other out, but it's up to the insurance co to decide who's going to foot the bill afaik. Eg if you have health insurance via work and a health component on travel insurance, they don't/can't cancel each other so you have nothing! Ditto for say free (basic) insurance given by credit card co.

(PS remind me to write to my MEP and the EU competition minister sometime about Insurance and EU residency)
ski holidays
following the travelplan direct links from money supermarket i ended up here http://tinyurl.com/5ahvdl
with a quote of £37.40 for annual cover including winter sports...
ski holidays
riverwhy, I spent a fair while looking at insurance, if you go off piste make sure your policy includes that, some only cover off piste with a guide (or not at all). Obviously if you have a 'carte neigh' or similar, this doesn't matter.
latest report
i can't see any exclusion for off-piste skiing, only these that they dont cover at all - not sure how you would define some of those, & i've included "use of skeletons" because i have no idea what that is related to & thought it might make some f you smile Very Happy

Ski Jumping
Ski Randonee (que??)
Ski Flying
Ski Mountaineering
Ski Stunting
Use of Skeletons
latest report
riverwhy, Being curious to why I missed this policy (as it is cheaper than mine), I had a look. Clearly states off piste only with 'suitably' qualified guide.
ski holidays
oh.. must have missed that.. but it's not a problem. Isn't the idea that if you have an accident off-piste, they drag you back on-piste before you claim? wink wink
latest report
i clkicked on winter sports cover, then cover details.. where does it mention off-piste Allan?
snow report
check this page - http://tinyurl.com/688dge

annual cover is for a max of 17 days... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
riverwhy,

LOL! I suppose it's all a bit 'grey' really, there's also off piste and off piste, if you see what I mean.

http://www.primarytravelinsurance.co.uk/goto/travelplan_direct_2007_website_scheme/documents/23052008172403TPD_Policy_Doc.pdf
Page 11 and 12. Page 12 is before page 11 in the doc.
ski holidays
off piste cover in not included without a resort guide on most policies. always check this thoroughly. I & G are the same as thats why i did not take out a policy with them

I found one with no off piste restrictions in europe... however, worldwide OP was specifically excluded.

I cant remember who i go with, but keep the details at home if anyone wants them. one week is about £20 tho (otheres with OP restrictions about £9 - 15).

as for refusing indemnity, the situation is that the most intentional policy applies. EG you have annual travel oon your HH policy or C/card, but but a specific wintersports travel pol for the specific time you are going... that one apples.. the HH or C/C will refuse. General insurance practice. totally acceptable
latest report
allanm, in insurance there is either piste of off piste... no in between.

the policy specifically states "off-piste skiing applies only where You are accompanied by a suitably qualified guide"

If you go off piste, dont chance it cancel the policy within the 14 day cooling off period (full refund) and get OP cover. I have seen horror stories costing ppl thousands... or their life cause the cover was not in force !
latest report
Libertine, I meant the difference between 50 yards of the side (technically off piste, as outside the markers) and..... well.. off piste.

The policy I mentioned above does include off piste within a resort, however, it says in exclusions 'Inexperienced skiers / boarders must be accompanied by a guide'
snow report
allanm, off piste is outside the markers. where does it say about inexperienced skiiers.. where is that definition within the policy??

insurance is probably the most important holiday buy for sports holidays. most ppl forget to examine the exact cover as they are thinking about the exciting stuff... insurance does not fall in that category. Confused
latest report
Libertine, Hi, if you are talking about my policy (link above, somewhere) , I've put a copy here -> http://www.19x.co.uk/PC97387PolicyTerms.pdf -> can't be bothered finding it on their web site.
Section 18.

This looks to be good for world wide OP, obviously paying the additional WW premium.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
your policy is fine re off piste... but there is no definition of "inexperienced", in such case, imaginge if you have 40 weeks on piste skiing under your belt but little OP, are you experienced or not???

The document is unclear to the favour of the policyholder on this occassion as the cover is ambiguous. worth knowing re the WW OP tho Very Happy not that i get out of europe much Crying or Very sad
snow report
I've just renewed annual travel cover for my wife and me with Direct Travel. They have proved good at meeting claims and premiums are cheap. The premiom for Europe with skiing (17 days per trip) is £68. We paid £52.02 by removing personal possessions and money (covered by house contents policy) and getting 10% loyalty discount.
ski holidays
Jehu, does that include off piste cover?
latest report
Jehu, i meant to say ......does that include off piste cover without a guide?
snow report
Jehu, Good point on the opting out of the 'personal possessions' I should have done that as well and saved a tenner. As with you, my house insurance pretty comprehensively covers this. This woluld have brought mine down to 60GBP for max 31 day trips.
In all probability the travel insurer will try to pass any claim onto your house insurance anyway, from what I've read in the small print (in different policies) about 'existing insurance'. Is this right...anyone?
latest report
Libertine, yes Direct Travel includes off-piste cover without a guide, except for backcountry in N America where you're only covered if you're with a qualified guide.
ski holidays
cathy, thanks.. worth knowing to compare prices
ski holidays
has anyone tried these?

http://www.atlasdirect.net/travel-insurance.asp

They seem pretty good & without the usual max of 22 days on an annual multi-trip winter sports policy.
snow report
Kruisler, yes they can do that Elizabeth B is right, its a principle called contribution which effectively means if cover is duplicated the most specific policy will be used or the insurers will both contribute to the claim.
snow report
I've got annual travel cover with wintersports with Flexicover and they're pretty good. I'm not sure if they cover off piste without a guide but for the average holiday maker they will be fine. I paid about £40 for an annual policy for 2 people and have claimed 3 times over the last 2 policies, once for no snow, once for £500 medical expenses due to torn ligaments, they also organised me 3 extra seats on the plane home with no hassle or extra charge and I also recently had to cancel another holiday due to medical reasons and each time they have paid out with no hassle, very quickly.
ski holidays
they only seem to offer 17 day winter sports cover on the annual multi-trip policy though Lynsey
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy