Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Flights to Europe from Ryanair

Poster: A snowHead
This will be particularly useful to those who live in the north and want to get to certain resorts.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5878

Looks like the economic downterm won't affect skiing flights in peak season at least.

These are the new flights from Ryanair:

Stansted to Basel, Cuneo and Lourdes,

Bournemouth to Turin,

Bristol to Grenoble,

Birmingham to Cuneo and Grenoble,

Liverpool to Turin,

Edinburgh to Turin and Grenoble,

Glasgow (Prest) to Turin and East Midland to Turin.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christopher, I notice with pleasure the number of flights to Turin wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A shame they only operate on Saturdays and not on Sundays as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christopher wrote:
This will be particularly useful to those who live in the north and want to get to certain resorts.

So when did Stanstead, Bristol, Bournemouth and Birmingham get moved to "the North"? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stanstead and Birmingham have always been oop North rolling eyes
and some of Bristol is North of the M4 Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, Hopefully the South Coast will flood today. Birmingham is classed by some fools as the West Midlands, when it is obviously in da sowf.

Flying out of Liverpool recently I was shocked to see a Fast-Track line for the security checks. There was a £2 charge to join this line. Disgraceful practice IMO.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney wrote:
Christopher wrote:

So when did Stanstead, Bristol, Bournemouth and Birmingham get moved to "the North"? Laughing

I think anywhere north of Enfield qualifies.

i have never been a fan of Ryanair but a diving friend says so long as you follow the rules they have found them the best and cheapest for transporting the large amount of diving kit they take away.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The south starts at the River Humber. This is also where the civilized world ends.

Travelling south I mean.

English by birth,

Yorkshire by the Grace of God.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
good that Ryanair is diversifying away from Stansted, in the south. Some useful new routes there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Flying out of Liverpool recently I was shocked to see a Fast-Track line for the security checks.

Yeah it's a joke isn't it. Top tip: if the queue is up the stairs fake a bad leg and take the lift down, this puts you in the fast track after the barriers rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski Tyke wrote:

English by birth,

Yorkshire by the Grace of God.

Very Happy

In notes from a small island Bill Bryson said the Yorkshire was the finest place in the world.....

.....to have your short comings, pointed out.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
South starts at Scotch Corner doesn't it?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

South starts at Scotch Corner doesn't it?

Helen Beaumont, I thought the North started after Watford Gap Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, Linds, I always enjoyed the road sign on the M18 approaching the junction with the A1.

It has the turning marked for "The NORTH
The SOUTH
Doncaster"
snow report
Back to Ryanair, they seem to have got rid of the handy EMA - Saltsburg this year Sad
latest report
And a lot of the new flights are Saturday only - charter flights by another name.
ski holidays
When I was sent to Scotland to work I was very dissapointed to find that the road signs were still saying The North Toofy Grin
snow report
Are some of the changes to do with cheaper landing fees in some of the more rural/smaller airports?
snow report
Linds, Possibly, Bournemouth airport is owned by the same firm as Manchester airport.
snow report
Christopher,

Thanks for the info, Bristol is quite handy for me.
ski holidays
Linds, the reason why Ryanair barely fly to Geneva is because of high landing fees. This is why they have let Easyjet and BA rule the market. High landing fees are not a part of their business model.

So you're right that is most probably one of the reasons why there opening new routes to airports in rural locations that serve holiday areas. Although I struggle to see why British customers would want to fly to Cuneo. Some low key resorts near there, but not an abundance of resorts or a particularly big one.

To answer those who question my geographical skills. Just got an A in my Geography AS level, so basic knowledge is hardly going to test me. I'm quite aware there are new ski flights from the south. However there were already plenty of flights serving ski resorts from the south to for example Turin. People who live t'up north who wanted to fly to Turin for resorts in the southern french alps had a long way to drive to London or Bristol for flights.
snow conditions
Christopher,
Quote:

People who live t'up north who wanted to fly to Turin for resorts in the southern french alps had a long way to drive to London or Bristol for flights

They could fly to Milan or Grenoble though the flight times from prestwick were bloody antisocial, good news anyway, though I tend to avoid Ryanair where possible.
ski holidays
T Bar, I have to admit the airline who are the most competitive to fly to Turin at peak times (ie last week of July and Christmas) are British Airways. We used them this summer and are using them again in the winter simply because their flight times are convienant and they are cheaper. With Baggage charges both easyjet and ryanair were £100/200 more expensive for 4 people at Christmas when I was booking.

Our use of Ryanair has decreased over the past 5 years.
snow report
Christopher, you are fortunate to have that choice.
snow report
Very, very quick comparison between BA and Ryanair for March 7th 09 Gatwick/Stanstead to Turin and standard cost suggest Ryanair cheaper, but with added costs for ski gear etc etc, BA win it.
latest report
Chasseur, And when you go holiday for a week you cannot avoid putting a bag in the hold per person. When you go skiing you have all your ski jackets and sallopettes this makes it a tight squeeze to get all your clothes etc in for a weeks holiday. So there is no chance of avoiding the low cost airlines extra charges for bags.

Helen Beaumont, your not kidding. Within 1 hour and 30 we have Gatwick, Heathrow, Stanstead, Luton, Southampton, Birmingham and Bristol to choose from for flights. 3 of those fly daily to Turin.
latest report
Quote:

Just got an A in my Geography AS level,

Christopher,

My understanding is an A is now the minimum requirement to qualify as a pass?? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, You can always tell a Yorkshireman.

But you can't tell him much! Razz
latest report
Christopher, Bristol in an hour and a half Shocked It would take that long just to be 'allowed' to park your car at Bristol! (Even if you have booked in advance)
ski holidays
Fr0sty the Sn0wman wrote:
Flying out of Liverpool recently I was shocked to see a Fast-Track line for the security checks. There was a £2 charge to join this line. Disgraceful practice IMO.

No... a wind up right? that just freakin can't be true. Liverpool isn't even BAA right?
ski holidays
red 27, tis true. It was there in March when I went through.
ski holidays
Kerry airport to Grenoble, alas have booked first flight Cork - GVA, but will give them a try for later in the season! Working out at €40 return inc tax's. Have not added bags and cc charges yet Sad
snow conditions
Christopher wrote:

Helen Beaumont, your not kidding. Within 1 hour and 30 we have Gatwick, Heathrow, Stanstead, Luton, Southampton, Birmingham and Bristol to choose from for flights. 3 of those fly daily to Turin.

I think you are being just a trifle optimistic there Happy

I can't see any way of reliably reaching either Bristol or Gatwick airports in 90 minutes from Oxford without your own private helicopter. At the wrong time of day it would take that long to Bristol airport from the start of the M32 (which I assume is the way you would go from that direction).
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Christopher, Bristol in an hour and a half Shocked It would take that long just to be 'allowed' to park your car at Bristol! (Even if you have booked in advance)

That depends to some extent on where you are parking. In what is now the more expensive long-stay car park, I have been inside the terminal building less than 10 minutes after turning into the airport.

Even at the "silver" one, which I always use nowadays, it is usually only about 15 minutes Happy
latest report
alex_heney, That is completely accurate. Been to both Bristol and Gatwick (multiple times) in the last year and that is completely accurate). Gatwick is approximatly 1 hour 30 outside of traffic and the same for Bristol. No we don't go down the A34 - M4 - M32.

From where we live the M4/M5 junction is an hour away along the A40 and dropping down the M5 at Gloucester. Going through the centre of Bristol via Avonmouth outside of the rush hour has never been a problem for us. We normally always have morning/early morning flights giving us more holiday time, between 4-6 in the morning the roads are empty even the M25.

Admitadly I havent included the time from the car park to terminal. We normally always stay in the long stay car parks which are about 5 mins bus ride. The catch is if there is traffic on the roads it will take longer than 1 hour 30 to Birmingham and Stanstead aswell as Gatwick and Bristol.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, I see Ryanair don't seem to be flying to alot of ski destinations from Dublin pre Christmas, e.g. Grenoble, Salzburg, Friedrichshafen. This is a major change from previous seasons, cutbacks!

I don't know about Cuneo either, don't Ryanair already fly to Turin which is fairly close and there aren't many resorts near Cuneo of note although I remember the highest road pass in Europe is near here as Le Tour de France went over it this year.
ski holidays
Liverpool to Turin is good news for me. Thanks for posting this.
snow report
Peter Ross, We usualy have to go up to Dublin or fly Farranfore, Shannon, Cork to the UK and then on. Our spot is close to Geveva but will give Kerry - Grenoble a go in April. Less hassle!
snow conditions
Quote:
(Re. Liverpool Security Queue):
Yeah it's a joke isn't it. Top tip: if the queue is up the stairs fake a bad leg and take the lift down, this puts you in the fast track after the barriers

Try this at your peril!! One Saturday morning we hit the back of the security queue just after the John Lennon statue so (about an hour later...)tried the old down in the lift trick - only to find the lift exit manned by an SS trained bouncer...... Crying or Very sad

Don't know if it's still applicable but earlier in the year we booked Liverpool airport parking on the official airport website and got free fast track passes! Naturally there was no queue whatsoever when we got to security!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy