Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche transceivers

Poster: A snowHead
I am in the market for a transceiver and have only ever used the BCA tracker. I found it very easy to use, but I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on this selection, ie pros and cons.

BCA tracker,
Ortovox Patroller, or
Ortovox D3

I have shortlisted these three for the use of the digital distance readout, as I found that really to use on the tracker. (and their inclusion in the BASI deal)

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use the tracker and find it fine. Others have found other makes more to their liking, the Barryvox pulse seems popular. Some models are easy to use and some are more effective at searching but require a higher level of experience/training, if you have used a particular and are competent with it it might be worth sticking with that model.

The most important issue is having any sort of transceiver with you when you need it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
freestyleandy, i have a tracker and think it is rubbish compared to newer models. Buy a pulse read this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35595&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=avalanche+transceiver&start=0
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, thanks for that link. The main reason for going for one of those on the list was price. After an expensive summer of ski buying and various other items the pulse is a little out of my reach Sad

jbob,
Quote:

if you have used a particular and are competent with it it might be worth sticking with that model.

Thats what I was thinking but was wondering if anyone has dealt with any of the other two.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have a nice and simple Ortovox F1 which is very old technology now (and almost comes with a health warning on some online stores!) but I find it easy to use. when i bought it, the choice was basically between the F1 and Trackers. I tried the tracker and found it very easy for short range single burials, but rubbish for multiple burials and it's range was shockingly low.

i am half thinking of upgrading but I wouldn't bother except to go for a Pulse or the S1. The others don't seem to be a significant enough improvement on the F1 to make it worthwhile.

Of course, i'll probably end up wearing the F1 still and lending the S1 to friends who don't have their own... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I tried the tracker and found it very easy for short range single burials, but rubbish for multiple burials and it's range was shockingly low

exactly the same with me...

freestyleandy, if you are doing your EMS you will be doing lots of multi burials. On my MS course we all tried each others models. If you are looking at the ortovox deal from noble custom.. I personally didnt like the S1 flip phone one as it was complicated and takes a lot of practice to get good with, but after a week of working with it the guy who had one got real fast.

for a mid price model I really liked the M2, simple long range and reasonable for multi burials, didnt see a D3 or patroller. Dont bother with ear phones or carrying case, I have little off piste experience so i would seek other comments but this is one mans opinion.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like the F1 because of the raw unprocessed data which with earphones you can use to tune in to secondary signals. However i would not recommend it to a new user because of the ease of use factor of modern digital beacons. I've found the tracker very easy to use and intuitive but had major nightmares with the X1 in final search. I suspect the pulse etc are even better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What are peoples thoughts on the Pieps DSP? I'm considering getting one as it's what I'm familiar with and seemed pretty straightforward to use. Anyone else used one, how does it compare to others?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use the Barryvox Tracker, find it great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Technically freestyleandy, you can have any old toot of a transceiver - you want your friends to have one of the good ones wink

Being less cynical...

Quote:
The main reason for going for one of those on the list was price. After an expensive summer of ski buying and various other items the pulse is a little out of my reach

I understand what you're saying, but your transceiver (and the rest of your off-piste safety gear) isn't an area to penny pinch on.

I have a Pulse and it was frankly painfully more expensive than the alternative. But it really is so much easier to use. And if you're using it for real (and panicing, etc) then you really do want something that is easy to use.

On the BASI Mountain Safety Module I did last April everyone else had Trackers and I have a Pulse. I was sigificantly quicker than anyone else on the course finding a single burial. I was the only person out of our group (except, of course, the guide) that you'd really want looking for you on a multiple burial.

In particular, the Pulse's final search mode really is so much better than the Tracker's - other people in the group would get within 3-4m of the buried pack and then spend 4-5 minutes arsing around looking for the buried pack. Once I was in final search mode I was probing within 30 seconds.

I was surprised on the course how much the little things count and (conversely) how much the bad things get magnified when you're searching on a 35 degree slope. Like most people, I've done most of my practice searching on the flat. On a slope, though, blindly following a flux line and ending up 5-10m below the burial is really brutal - especially in deep snow.

Personally I would (and do) carry headphones. I've got plenty of old iPod (and such) ones laying around and would like to have the choice. (In fact, I carry two pairs - one for me and one for someone else.)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have owned for approx 10 years a couple of Pieps 457's and have practiced quite a lot with them. However on a course last year we had the usual multiple burial scenario I was unable to get a good signal on just one of the packs, I seemed to only be able to pin it down to a 3m dia circle, which is too much to probe or dig out. We had a Pulse and S1 on test, the pulse pinned the pack down to 2m on the read out, we dug checking with the pulse we were getting closer down to a depth of 2m and found it. The guy with the S1 was still reading the manual!!!
I skied with 5 mountain guides last season and all were wearing pulses.
I shall be buying a pulse soon, anybody seen a good deal on them?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seems a good time to kick this off again..

like what I read about the S1 and I like Ortovox anyway

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specifications.htm

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specs_OrtovoxS1.htm

Around £300 or so but can't decide whether it is worth the upgrade...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, if you are a SCGB member Lockwoods have a 15% safety equipment discount. I will probably get a Pulse next year (and give sprog 1 my barryvox 3000)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for the Pulse. I've had one for a couple of seasons and it always seems to out-perform different models whenever I've done search exercises with other people.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think I'll wait a while to see if the S1 is as good as promised...
ski holidays
I am now actively lookin to buy (plus al. shovel&probes). THe barryvox pulse seems to be at the top of my list. the S1 looks like it has too many slightly confusing icons.
snow report
Dear Snowhead,

Where do you live? Perhaps we could hook you up with one of our technical reps and they can answer any questions you have. There's no substitute for getting these beacons in your hand. I wouldn't get too carried away with your concerns about receive range and multiple burials; these issues are often overemphasized as a way for manufacturers to sell you their beacons Smile To find out what the real issues are in real avalanche incidents, check out "Digging Deeper" at http://www.backcountryaccess.com/research

Cheers,
BE
(edge@backcountryaccess.com)
ski holidays
bedgerly, thanks for that input, and welcome to snowHeads.

Hope you stick around to give us some more advise.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads bedgerly and thanks for the post. I must say that I've always found the stuff on your site to be really useful - particularly the stuff on shovelling.
latest report
bedgerly, you could do with losing the full stop at the end of your link though wink
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, please be advised that your advice has been acted upon wink
snow report
bedgerly, i tend to agree with most of the conclusions in your research papers and wholeheartedly agree about group management and shovelling times being of paramount importance but to say that the poor range of BCA trackers is overemphasised by your competitors doesn't do your impartiality any favours. I have a tracker and found the lack of range (oftern less than 1/2 of other models) and the often confusing fluctuations in readings when near the target very worrisome during simulations...

From the Tracker manual when doing pinpoint searches "Ignore sudden fluctuations in distance and direction, often followed by no distance reading and/or SE in the indicator." That really isn't good enough for a piece of safety equipment when i am trying to locate a victim(s). Your transceiver although simple to operate in principle was frustratingly difficult to use in practice giving conflicting distance readings, loss of signal and slow reacqusition times, confusion when on the flux lines and very sensitive to sweeping and user movement patterns.

Your focus on single burials versus multiples has lot of merit but the functionality of the tracker needs improvement. The Tracker design seems several years old, will you be coming out with a Mark II version? If so will it improve the poor range and lousy pinpoint search functionality?
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
Mosha Marc, please be advised that your advice has been acted upon wink

Usual fee? wink
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
The Tracker design seems several years old, will you be coming out with a Mark II version?

I thought the Tracker 2 was due out last season, but, seems to have been delayed for some reason?
snow report
philw, interesting..... wonder if they will do a trade in deal for existing tracker owners Laughing
snow report
skimottaret, from pistehors..April 2007... http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0723-new-tracker-finds-avalanche-victims-in-real-time/
ski holidays
philw, thanks, it looks great and seems to address all the problems i have with my old one. next season perhaps time for an upgrade....
snow conditions
I have recently bought an Ortovox S1 from the Natives shop. Today they sent an email about their sale of Ovtovox F1 plus shovel plus probe for, what seems to me, a great price. See here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adrian, Exellent!

Ordered today!

Dont think the F1 is for those not willing to practice. Im the type that will spend ages nailing this untill im as fast as a digital.

tux
ski holidays
Where's the cheapest place anyone knows to buy a Pulse?
latest report
slikedges, I got mine from Telemark Pyrenees who had them slightly cheaper than other online places I could find. However, that was at a better exchange rate than we have at the moment it might be better to find a UK retailer that sells them. www.theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk stocks them at £295 I think.
latest report
slikedges, Backcountry UK does them for £289.
snow report
rob@rar, thanks!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Bumping this subject,

Im trying to decide between the pieps DSP and the BCA Tracker, my main thoughts/concerns are about range and spikes.

How much of a problem is the lack of spike processing with the Tracker, from peoples practising do they notice this? how deep
is the other transceiver buried? are spikes only an issue in 3m+ burials

Certainly from reading this review it does seem a little pointless to go for the DSP in terms of the multiple burials, but I cant
decide if this also applies to spikes:

http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/ski/multipleburial.htm

So are spikes a real issue with respect to "less than 2 meter" burials, which is most realistic possibility of actually being able
to rescue someone from?
If you are within 1 meter then 2/3 mins of probing should be all it takes?

Taemo

Im also favouring the DSP for the range and the user interface, but is it all worth the extra £80 ?
snow report
have a look at this

http://www.beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specifications.htm

i bought the DSP, partly based on the review on that site and also partly because i had used it before with a guide so already knew how it works - very easy to use
snow conditions
Thanks marmot, I have read up on that site quite a bit, however they tend (or at least im my opinion) favour the pieps DSP.

Since having posted earlier I have read up about; exactly what spikes actually mean to a search. I found the details about flux lines and how
you can use the spikes to your advantage (with enough practice) quite comforting :
http://www.backcountryaccess.com/english/education/documents/AdvancedTutorial09.pdf

Also I didnt realise quite how fast the tracker is in terms of update speed :
http://www.wildsnow.com/1605/backcountry-accesss-tracker-avalanche-beacon-review/

Overall its a real shame the Tracker 2 isnt available yet ! such is life.
ski holidays
Taemo
I'd temper any internet research with personal experience. Tx are something you hope never to use in anger, but, you should practice until you can use with your eyes closed (or, at least, with gloves on, poor viz/cold/wind).
In _those_ conditions, something with a simple, easy to read display, is what you or your freezing buddy want (unless you expect to be doing a lot of searching, in which case you wouldn't be asking here).

If you've not already _used_ one, try to get to a practice session (HAT organise them in Val, and there are other places, in this thread and others).

to answer some questions:
How much of a problem is the lack of spike processing with the Tracker, from peoples practising do they notice this?
- didn't notice any issues when I did my HAT session in Val D'isere
how deep is the other transceiver buried?
- 1-2 feet
are spikes only an issue in 3m+ burials
- dunno - do you have a >3m pole?

the instructions with the tracker don't differentiate between victim depth... once you'r 'over' the victim, rely on the 'side to side' sweep/distance measure, it's faily obvious in practice.... you're problem then is digging 3m of snow out....

Dunno if anyone here's had to search for real.... with regards to multiple burials, when was the last time you skied with a group who were all fully equipped _AND_ had a plan to follow if they either came upon an avo, or where involved in one....

safe riding,
h
snow report
I use a Tracker (bought second hand after 1 weeks use) and in every resort I go to that has one I practice in the training park. Also work on drills with mates. As stated above... in a real emergency situation the limiting factor is likely to be the operator rather than the machine.
ski holidays
hamilton, Thanks this really confirms exactly what im thinking. No, I have yet to use one and I was thinking about a course. But with my current ski booking im not close to a HAT talk, I know experience counts for everything and what you read on the web must be taken in context. Brought the "Avalanche" book and debating if I buy something before going out so I can practice with a mate. Might also hire a guide so I can go over this stuff with someone who knows.

Thanks for the advice.

Taemo
snow report
Just read an interesting review of the BCA DTS Tracker here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy