Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI level 1 wtf????

Poster: A snowHead
I notice that most people who slag of BASI are those who (in the opion of BASI) simply ain't good enough for the badge.

Of course this normally goes against that person own self assement.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think I will create another post with that has the heading
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Johnathon Anderson, I assume you like BASI Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
so assuming I pass L1, do 70 hours, pass L2 next winter and have shiny badges to wear, where do I go then? What's higher up than L2? Why does higher up mean 2 disciplines? My general rule of thumb is that I will never ski, will never learn and will never like it (despite mastering it in one hour last winter Laughing )
Looking at the site ISIA seems to be the top one for boarding but covers a load of crap I have no interest in, Sports Physiology and skiing for example.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab wrote:
so assuming I pass L1, do 70 hours, pass L2 next winter and have shiny badges to wear, where do I go then? What's higher up than L2? Why does higher up mean 2 disciplines? My general rule of thumb is that I will never ski, will never learn and will never like it (despite mastering it in one hour last winter Laughing )
Looking at the site ISIA seems to be the top one for boarding but covers a load of crap I have no interest in, Sports Physiology and skiing for example.

You don't have to do any of that - you really don't.

But - if you want to teach skiing as a proffession you do. Simple. Very Happy

I agree on the 2nd discipline Mad - a total waste of time as most people will gain the absolute minimum required to get the tick and then never do it again. But - again - if you "really" want to be a snowsports instrcutor then you just have to do it. And it's not just with BASI - this is an ISIA rule - 2 disciplines.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think L2 will do for me then, I seriously will never ski and don't intend throwing money at it. 2 disciplines is why I'm avoiding the swiss courses.

Like I said before I live in switzerland so I don't need to get any qualifications really, but I want to see how you are supposed to teach people properly, teaching people for free in my spare time is one thing, having people pay is another. Not that getting Level 1, Level 2 or LevelELEVENTY1111!!KAKA!!111 will get me any more money mind. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My mate who is BASI boarding instrcutor taught me for 2 weeks (on and off) and i taught her to ski - we both passed the 2nd disipline

It's not hard - I will "never" be any good at boarding -but its fun to learn new stuff
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Johnathon Anderson, that is the point, it is fun to learn if you want to, it is not fun to learn if you have to just to 'tick a box'
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Johnathon Anderson wrote:
It's not hard - I will "never" be any good at boarding -but its fun to learn new stuff

that's where I differ, for me skiing is not fun, never will be fun and certainly never has been fun, I always said I would never even try it, such was teh gayness of it all but I did try last winter, did some turns, dicked about for a bit, found out nose presses pop the boots out of the bindings, didnt like it and couldn't understand why it was so popular. But I've done my whole life on a board of some kind so I guess it's the feeling of not travelling sideways that got me, I can't rollerblade or ice skate either, and I have tried them Laughing .
The whole 2nd discipline thing just shouts money maker at me from these courses, not just basi.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dt, Anwarter course is the preferd qualification for Austrian ski schools as you know. Its a quick and easy way to get lots of people teaching beginners, Austria s bread and butter. Its very easy though, you would need to be dead to fail it and even then you stand a chance. Landeschilehrer is a step up to the mark. You need to understand the culture to understand the qualification system in each country. Austrian ski schools dont need ski gurus, they need cheap instructors who can do the job. Not many people making a real living out of teaching as an anwarter, its manly students and Dutch kids. To be a career instructor I suspect you need to get fully qualified and create your own business. At the top end BASI has this. The lower level qualificatons are for people who are "participation" instructors. Its a hobby I guess and they have a real job.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ooh my pre course information booklet arrived, seems the course is going ahead. Does anyone know if you have to be at the pre course meeting the night before? Doubt I'll be there by 6 but I don't want to turn up on the 1st morning all like "oh hai, I iz Stab, iz shy, bye".
The no smoking thing is true Sad

Quietly pooping in the pants about this course now [hippy]I just want to ride man[/hippy]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stab, goes mainstream .... THE MAN has won ... sad day for us all Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DebbiDoesSnow, The WOMAN has won, I'm under strict orders from the bread knife not to fail, and to behave, and to be poilte, and to not cut people up or shout at skiers, or smoke weed at all during the course and not to shout at tourists. Boring week in my book Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab wrote:
Ooh my pre course information booklet arrived, seems the course is going ahead. Does anyone know if you have to be at the pre course meeting the night before? Doubt I'll be there by 6 but I don't want to turn up on the 1st morning all like "oh hai, I iz Stab, iz shy, bye".
The no smoking thing is true Sad

Quietly pooping in the pants about this course now [hippy]I just want to ride man[/hippy]

If you can't make the pre-course meeting (there wasn't one for my L1 or L2) get in touch with the BASI office and ask them to pass a message on to the Trainer to explain that it won't be possible for you to be there on the Sunday evening. Make sure that you know where the course meets on the Monday morning - being late for the start is generally frowned upon Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:

If you can't make the pre-course meeting (there wasn't one for my L1 or L2) get in touch with the BASI office and ask them to pass a message on to the Trainer

Cheers.
I don't seem to get much response from the office about anything to be honest. It all depends on work, if I'm out early i may make the pre course thing, decided to leave the car and take the train, dont want to risk getting snowed in and not making the pass over from visp.

also is their lift pass discount any cop?
snow conditions
stab, tough woman, I like her Laughing
snow report
stab, not sure about the lift pass discount; I've never done a BASI course in Zermatt and they don't seem to offer lift pass discounts elsewhere and far as I know. I know what you mean about the BASI office being a bit hectic, but at least you can cover your arse by getting in touch with them beforehand.
snow conditions
What about the bit I just read on insurance? everyone must have insurance and prove it before going up the mountain. I live here so I'm insured through work, don't know how I prove it. I've got sickness, accident and a private helicopter rescue thing.
Guess I'll see in a few weeks Smile

Anyone ever been weathered off one of these courses? If it's not brass monkeys and snowing mid november then we are all in trouble.
latest report
stab, I lost one day of my L1 course due to very high winds closing most of the lifts in Val d'Isere. We spent the day in the classroom getting a lot of the theory work out of the way. Not sure what would happen if you lost a lot of time during the week so you weren't able to cover everything you needed to do. It would be a bit of a killer if everyone failed because you'd only been on the hill for 2 out of 5 days!
snow report
stab - BASI do a special deal on lift passes for Zermatt, but they've got to be pre-booked. This is buried in the pre-course materials somewhere. There's also a discount at one of the car parking places (if you do end up driving over).

The hotel that BASI use for their pre-course and evening sessions is at the top end of town. The very top end of town. If you're not staying there then I'd advise you take trainers so that you can walk there. There are lockers at the gondola station. (Skiing with a backpack isn't encouraged / is frowned upon*)

You can officially miss one day of a five day course. After that I don't know.

Make sure that*:
- you're carrying a piste map
- you're carrying a spare piste map
- you're presentable.

(BASI instructors also get 30-40% discount in the mountain restaurants if they show their license.)

* Depends on your trainer rolling eyes
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
stab - BASI do a special deal on lift passes for Zermatt, but they've got to be pre-booked. This is buried in the pre-course materials somewhere. There's also a discount at one of the car parking places (if you do end up driving over).

The hotel that BASI use for their pre-course and evening sessions is at the top end of town. The very top end of town. If you're not staying there then I'd advise you take trainers so that you can walk there. There are lockers at the gondola station. (Skiing with a backpack isn't encouraged / is frowned upon*)

You can officially miss one day of a five day course. After that I don't know.

Make sure that*:
- you're carrying a piste map
- you're carrying a spare piste map
- you're presentable.

(BASI instructors also get 30-40% discount in the mountain restaurants if they show their license.)

* Depends on your trainer rolling eyes

I have an apartment opposite the matterhorn express so I'm in the right neck of the woods there.
I read about the food discount but it's confusing, one page says 15%, another page says 40 or something.

Presentable I'm working on, dying to shave my head but I'm waiting until it's all over Smile

Is that serious about the backpack and piste map? Laughing I was going to be carrying food, drink and my helmet in my bag.
Like I said to my missus, it's just teaching snowboarding, it's not rocket science. Seems a bit over egged to me.
ski holidays
stab, as I mentioned to you before, I did my L1 in a snowdome, so there was no need to wear a backpack there. I think it could be, that with a backpack on (well unless it's a very small/shallow one I guess) the Trainer can't see what you're doing re Body Management to assess you properly. I was thinking that might be the reason behind PhillipStanton's comment regarding that above.

Piste map-I should think you do need to carry one yes, I would make sure I had one anyway. Presentable-well yes to that too. There will be other smokers there as well as you I expect, and you will get the opportunity to have breaks as well as lunch.

PhillipStanton, is the hotel at the top end of town you mention above called the Hemizeus? I see BASI have got a lift pass/accomodation deal on for the courses that are running in April, I have had a look at that myself, I might do my L2 then you see. Does everyone on those courses normally stay in that hotel, i.e the vast majority of the candidates (unless they make their own arrangements) and the Trainers as well? It looks like it would have to be a pretty big place to keep the candidates and the Trainers for those 2 weeks, I see there are a fair few courses running the same time as the L2, there is ISIA teach and tech, ISTD teach and tech, L1 courses for ski, snowboard and telemark, looks like it's everything running in April pretty much! Zermatt looks like it's taken over by BASI for that month actually pretty much Laughing
snow report
stab, you sound anxious! Hope it's all less daunting than you think it's going to be! Cross fingers.
snow report
stab wrote:
Presentable I'm working on, dying to shave my head but I'm waiting until it's all over Smile

Is that serious about the backpack and piste map? Laughing I was going to be carrying food, drink and my helmet in my bag.
Like I said to my missus, it's just teaching snowboarding, it's not rocket science. Seems a bit over egged to me.

VolklAttivaS5 is bang on the money with the backpack. It's certainly at least discouraged for the skiing courses. Some trainers won't let you wear one at all.

Piste map, spare piste map and presentable. Honestly.

Piste map. Because you'll need it if you don't know the resort like the back of your hand. Even if you do then consider what would happen if you need to call for help (as I did last season) on a piste you know well, but don't know the name of. (And no, it's not always written on the piste markers.)

Spare piste map. If you don't know the resort then what happens if you lose your piste map.

Presentable. It's a professional course - so you need to look like a professional.

Some trainers have their foibles. Some couldn't care less. You're not going to fail on any of those things specifically, but, at the end of the day, if they have to make a call one way or the other then which do want it to be...

Anyway, take (or leave) the advice in the spirit in which it's offered.

VolklAttivaS5, yep it's the Hemizeus.

I was told by three trainers not to stay there, so I didn't. The trainers all tend to stay in town - mainly in one other hotel on the main street. In part I regret not staying at the Hemizeus because it was a right royal pain sprinting between our mid-town hotel and the Hemizeus for the evening sessions. But on the flip-side I stayed in a hotel with good food, a comforable bed and a friend who I knew would be as knackered as me. The biggest complaints I've heard about the Hemizeus were that it can be hit or miss who you end up sharing with - if you end up with a party animal then it's not going to be pleasant.

Yes, BASI take over Zermatt in April.

One other thing. I really suffered from the altitude when I went there. Morzine / Avoriaz, where I normally ski, tops out at 2600m. Even though I've done the odd bit of skiing at 3500m in Chamonix it's not the same as spending all day up near that altitude. So, if you can, try to go out a few days earlier.

It also makes a huge difference if you know the resort a bit and you know what's around the corner / over a roll, etc. Probably less of an issue on a 2 week course, but still worth considering.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, thanks a lot for your info. Re the Hemizeus-yeah it was a bit of a worry who you end up bunking with in case you're not singing off the same hymn sheet with regards to zeds! Single rooms are available, I checked but the single supplement is £350 for the fortnight, so it seems a bit pricey to me. I was thinking about the altitude thing and also because I've not been to the resort before, I would like to go out a few days/a week earlier to familiarise myself with the resort, just have a gentle ski and mooch around, take in the scenery, and when I asked if I could go out to the Hemizeus the week before, I couldn't, so instead of staying in one hotel and then moving up there for the actual course I reckon I will just go with a single room in the same place for the whole duration be it just the course length or a bit longer hopefully so I can get into it properly. Will probably be cheaper doing that anyway and less hassle.

It is very true re the hike up in altitude and the effects-just got back from skiing on the Grand Motte at Tignes and when you get out of the cable car for the first time it does feel a bit odd until you get used to it. I know some people where altitude affects them a lot more than others.

Why did the trainers say to you, don't stay there out of interest? It can't be very popular if they don't stay there themselves. Then again if I was them I don't think I'd really want to stay with say 100 candidates across half a dozen courses either if I was assessing them every day.

I'm on the look out for a nice comfortable hotel with good food-it's got to be a must especially on a course and I'm not keen on a racket at night when I'm knackered-what was the one you stayed in? I don't mind having to walk up to the Hemizeus, how long did it take you? Was it half board or a pension?

Sorry stab I've gatecrashed your thread for a bit, but useful for you to know too, well some of it anyway!

PhillipStanton, thanks for the info on this, I appreciate it from someone who knows and has been there.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 - the trainers advised avoiding on the grounds of noise and food quality. I didn't sample the latter so can't comment.

Anyway, who in their right mind would want to stay with all the candidates?

We stayed at the Europe, which was a stiff 20-25 minute walk (uphill most of the way) to the Hemizeus. It was more expensive than the Hemizeus, but cost wastn' really a consideration.

One thing I did initiate and should really have followed through was emailing chalets looking for last minute "I'll fill your chalet" deals. I got a really good offer through from one chalet about 10 minutes after I confirmed the hotel. I should have waited.

The downside of that, though, is that you may not be able to do the "few days before" thing. Saying that, April is far from packed - so there are deals to be done.

There are a couple of hostels in Zermatt that might be worth checking out. One of which is near the main gondola station. (The main YHA isn't that badly placed.) I'm told the hostels do single rooms.
latest report
PhillipStanton,
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5 - the trainers advised avoiding on the grounds of noise and food quality. I didn't sample the latter so can't comment.

Ok, well since you got a nice hotel and good food then it was a good call by them one way or another eh. Very Happy

Quote:
Anyway, who in their right mind would want to stay with all the candidates?

Well exactly, Laughing that's sort of what I was aluding to in my post, Laughing I don't think I'd be keen either.
Quote:
Then again if I was them I don't think I'd really want to stay with say 100 candidates across half a dozen courses either if I was assessing them every day.

Quote:
We stayed at the Europe, which was a stiff 20-25 minute walk (uphill most of the way) to the Hemizeus. It was more expensive than the Hemizeus, but cost wastn' really a consideration.

Thanks very much, I will have a look at the Europe. I agree, cost is not the most important thing, peace and quiet at night, own room with bath and a comfy bed are the priorities for me and being able to go out the week before/a few days before. There can't be anything worse than not being able to get a good night's rest for whatever reason when you need to be well rested. I think one of the weeks of the course is one of Easter weeks (I think) so I was planning on having a look into it quite early just in case.

Thank you PhillipStanton
ski holidays
Ah, I'd forgotten that Easter is later this year.

This is a link to the Europe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, oh you are helpful. Cheers, I will have a look. So if you were to have the time over again would you stay at the Europe knowing what you know about the walk or would you stay somewhere else nearer to the Hemizeus? Is the Europe closer to the meeting point in the morning than the Hemizeus is anyway?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
PhillipStanton, oh you are helpful. Cheers, I will have a look. So if you were to have the time over again would you stay at the Europe knowing what you know about the walk or would you stay somewhere else nearer to the Hemizeus? Is the Europe closer to the meeting point in the morning than the Hemizeus is anyway?

On balance I probably would. It's very grown up and civilised. Dinner is, well, civilised. (I'm getting old, you know...)

Saying that, though, the place I'd probably plump for, if I was with MrsPhillipStanton or a good friend (Swiss beds and all that) would be the Zurbriggen - which is about 50m from the lifts. To say they look nice is a lot of an understatement. (Not many hotels have an Ice Grotto!). A bit too pricey for one though.

The meeting point is about half way between the Europe and the Hemizeus. The Europe probably has a slight advantage - even though you have to walk uphill to the lift station.

There are lockable lockers and ski racks in the lift station which are reasonably priced (1 or 2 CHF).

Don't be tempted to leave your pack just locked to something though (as I sometimes do in Morzine) - I saw a couple of packs that had been broken into.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, ok. I like civilised too. I'm not old though. wink I will have a look at the Zurbriggen too. So with the lockers at the lift station you could walk up in your apres boots carrying your ski boots in a boot bag say (I know you could leave the boots in the locker overnight but I take mine back to the hotel with me to dry them properly) and then leave your apres boots in the locker?

Have never left my pack locked to anything before-thanks for the heads up though about the thieving toerags. Very Happy

If some Trainers don't like backpacks of any kind because they can't see properly for BM, how are you meant to drink short of having a small bottle of water in your pocket? Puzzled I normally have a Camelbak that carries my off piste stuff as well, or is it for the piste stuff they don't like backpacks? I have a very shallow Camelbak that shouldn't make hardly any difference and besides it's one that can be worn under a jacket believe it or not.
ski holidays
I left shoes plus a change of base layers (skinning + sweaty boy = need for a change of clothes) and trainers in the locker during the day. After skiing I changed into trainers, left the skis in the lockers and carried the boots up with me to the Hemizeus.

A very shallow Camelback should be ok. Especially if you can wear it under a jacket.

Lots of the trainers wear a water bottle on a belt.
latest report
PhillipStanton, ok, thanks for the info. Yeah come to think of it I've seen some of them wearing the water bottles. Thanks.
latest report
Just to add. I have done a number of basi courses in zermatt and I always stay at the antares
http://www.hotel-antares.ch/

It 40m from the main lift and not too costly. You can call and haggle as they speak english here.
Don't book food as they are crazy prices for breakfast and dinner. Book room only as here is a cheap cafe over the road.
Best thing about it is no walking around to the lifts in the morning and at the end of the day you can nip in and drop your gear off befor lectures.
And you don't need a locker as your hotel is right out of the lift
ski holidays
stab,

Forgot to say. Good luck with your course.
snow report
Wayne, thanks very much, I'll have a look at that one as well then. Cheers. Very useful to know is that. Very Happy Very Happy

Oh welcome to Snowheads by the way. snowHead
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Wayne,Oh welcome to Snowheads by the way. snowHead

Thank you
I found this forum on the advice on someone who booked his family into our ski school last week
He said it was really good and was (in his words) full of crazy people, which he though was great.
snow conditions
Wayne, well there is certainly a lot of info on here for those that want that, and yes some very crazy conversations from time to time!
latest report
I have a 2 bed apt 3 minutes from the lift on oberdorfstrasse, cost me 50 chf a night which I think is good. Don't know the price in april, mid nov is low low season.

Wayne, cheers. Still quietly nervous about something, dont know what, I guess it's being on my own or something, I get a bit shy in new situations, either that or I'm worried that I actually board like a peanut due to never having a lesson in my life and the class will laugh at me Laughing
snow conditions
stab wrote:
I have a 2 bed apt 3 minutes from the lift on oberdorfstrasse, cost me 50 chf a night which I think is good. Don't know the price in april, mid nov is low low season.

Wayne, cheers. Still quietly nervous about something, dont know what, I guess it's being on my own or something, I get a bit shy in new situations, either that or I'm worried that I actually board like a peanut due to never having a lesson in my life and the class will laugh at me Laughing

When are you going - Nov or April ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy