Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI level 1 wtf????

Poster: A snowHead
stab, yeah 50 CHF per night isn't bad at all. Is it near to where all the restaurants are? Didn't you get it through a mate though, not through the tourist information website or anything?

I am sure that you will be fine. I didn't realise that you were completely self taught. Do you know any BASI L1's out in Switzerland at the moment?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne november.

VolklAttivaS5 I dont know anyone basi anything, maybe some of the english ski teachers are but like I said before, skiing pfft. Actually I forgot, I've been telling a lie, I did have a one hour lesson years and years ago, maybe 97 or something on a dry slope, wasnt fun.
That apt was through the website, quite a few in that price range, I just chose close to the lift for convenience.

This thread is awesome, it answered everything I was spazzing out about.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok. If you did know one I was gonna suggest that he/she just quickly ran through what sort of things are taught "the BASI way" so to speak so you could get a heads up like before the course. Probably similar to what you do on your board anyway I'd have thought....dunno.

Glad we have all helped to alleviate your concerns Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Probably similar to what you do on your board anyway I'd have thought....dunno.

hmm, new thing to worry about Laughing Just realised how insanely boring it must be to just do linked turns forever on some piste. Thats my new worry, retraining myself. I ride backwards, or forwards, or sideways, or on the nose, or the tail, or like a penguin. I guess if I dont tell anyone I'm goofy and ride switch all day I'll be ok, I seem to have better technique switch, regular I'm lazy with my turns.
I didnt really think this snowboard instructor thing through properly, at the moment I have no intention of using my L1 to get work, I'm trying to set myself up to at least have a choice of teaching or not in a few years (before my knees go). Belt and braces, arrows in quivers etc etc.

I guess all I'm looking for out of it is the clearest quickest easiest way to explain to people what I want them to do, thats what I've struggled with in the past, and a bit of confidence. Unless it's friends or family, then I'm cold hearted and ruthless. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, fret not! Laughing Now I hope you don't think I'm being patronising here, because I can tell you're a good boarder and all that, and I'm no expert meself mind, I only just started boarding recently, but a BASI lady taught me who was L2 I think....anyway she was very good. In my quest to find you some info on what sort of thing they might be looking at for you to be doing I found this:-

http://www.snowboardcoach.co.uk/firstpage.htm

This company is owned by Ash Newnes who is a snowboard BASI Trainer and, he could well be the chap who will be taking your course, I don't know who's running it. He can ski as well because he is ISTD (International Snowsports Teacher Diploma) but boarding was his thing from the start rather than the other way round, or so he told me anyway, I asked him that when I saw him at Tamworth Snowdome recently.
If you have a look at the first page, there is a diagram in the top right corner of the Fundamental Elements. I couldn't see the writing so well, but you might be able to magnify it or something on your pc. It says the sorts of the things that the Fundamentals are so you can compare with your own riding and what you do now, I expect that is what you do now anyway, so you might be surprised.

Hope that helps, it's not a lot just a straightforward diagram but thought it might help a smidgen and give you a slight insight.

Oh, go goofy if I was you if that's your natural stance. Then you can start as you mean to go on.

Oh by the way what was the name of the apartment you found off the tourist information site then?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
If you have a look at the first page, there is a diagram in the top right corner of the Fundamental Elements. I couldn't see the writing so well, but you might be able to magnify it or something on your pc. It says the sorts of the things that the Fundamentals are so you can compare with your own riding and what you do now, I expect that is what you do now anyway, so you might be surprised.

Hope that helps, it's not a lot just a straightforward diagram but thought it might help a smidgen and give you a slight insight.

sweet, I can ride like that when I'm not being lazy or sloppy, that's actually the one thing I worked on last winter when I was bored.

Looking at that site straight away they dont recommend my stance width Laughing
That ash guy wrote 10000 words on stance Shocked and 2 blue peter badges, he's my guy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

sweet, I can ride like that when I'm not being lazy or sloppy, that's actually the one thing I worked on last winter when I was bored.

Oh good. See you'll be right then.

WTF is your stance width then? Laughing

Quote:

That ash guy wrote 10000 words on stance and 2 blue peter badges, he's my guy

He's a good bloke. Very popular. Anyway, to get the International Snowsports Teacher Diploma (i.e BASI Grade 1 as it was known previously) yes you have to write a project you see, so his was on stance. He got a Distinction anyway so at least the guy has some stamina Toofy Grin

I reckon you'll enjoy it. It might grow you Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Oh by the way what was the name of the apartment you found off the tourist information site then?

It's haus loree
go here - http://www.zermatt.ch/e/accommodation/chalet/ and choose 3 star and loree. They dont have a website but I emailed them and they got back to me, in english.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Besides, we don't know it is Ash who is going to be running your course. It will be somebody though..... Laughing Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

WTF is your stance width then? Laughing

maximum, the wider the better, I havent found a board yet that was wide enough unless I go longer in board length, and I dont want to do that. I even jig my base plates around to gain extra millimetres. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab, cheers. Will have a look at that one as well then.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stab, oh. So are your feet like practically near the ends of the board? Are you duck as well? What angles?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cant remember, 18 - 15 I think, my feet are as close to the ends as possible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, ah ok. I've set mine as +15 -15 for the minute, I haven't used my board yet and didn't care what the angles were when I was being taught on the rental board, they were duck though, probably about that I expect. Am trying board on 30th Nov Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stab, isn't it uncomfortable having your legs that far apart when you bend your knees? I can't imagine it feeling comfortable unless my binding positions are set as if I was a goalie ready to catch a footie if you get what I mean?
ski holidays
How the heck can you read the stuff on that picture? I've tried all sorts but can't make any of it out apart from "Fundementals" and "head in direction of travel".
snow conditions
Swirly, I've got a job to read it too so that's why I said to stab to magnify it on his pc or something. I think I can guess what it says though from my BASI workbook which lists the fundamentals in there so I will have a look tomorrow, it is probably similar I'd have thought. Will post then. Going to ski show now.
ski holidays
I blew it up and potatoshopped it, I cant make it all out but from what I can I know the style of riding they mean.

VolklAttivaS5, I dont find it uncomfortable at all, I even think it's better for ice and all that, more pressure on the edge but that's just my personal theory. The only downside is powder but real powder days are so few it doesnt bother me to have a hassle for those few days a season.
ski holidays
stab, I tried that still can't read it. Right I'm guessing (clockwise from bottom left):

Weight on balls of feet (not toes)
Knees, (something head???) over toes.
Head in direction of travel
WTF
WTF
WTF

I am kind of interested in this thread as a change in direction and complete waste of the PhD. Laughing
snow report
3 days to go Shocked

This 35 hours thing is still bugging me. On the pre course bumpf I got it says ski school experience can range from observing lessons, taking bookings or admin to equipping clients with clothing/skis etc.
What kind of ski school supplies equipment? I've never heard of it. I wonder if I could combine my normal winter job (rentals, eating cake, services, smoking around the back, abusing people) and somehow get it signed of by ski school? Would that work? Obviously combined with some lesson observing with the ski school, I will find it hard to do 35 hours of observing with a full time job as well. My plan is L2 by next winter.
ski holidays
stab, The ski school at snowdomes all provide kit. I know at least one 'proper' ski school in France also hires kit (regardless of whether you take lesson with them). I found the shadowing really useful, although at the start it did seem like a monumental pain in the proverbial.
snow report
stab, Good Luck !
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, thanks, quietly nervous now, dunno why, it's just snowboarding, it's not like it's brain surgery. I'm just packing, figured it better to do now at my pace than doing it like a spazz on sunday. I never realised how much gear you need for a week away Shocked Maybe I'm going overboard, I can only guess it on what I wear in a week normally, 2 jackets, 3 trousers, 10 socks, helmet, back protector, warm gloves, 4 hats, thin gloves and 2 goggles, not including normal clothes. I'm worse than a woman Laughing
I was taking 2 pairs of boots but thought if I'm getting wet boots in late november then there surely is something wrong with the world and global warming will kill us all.
ski holidays
Quote:

back protector

a back protector while doing central theme may come across a bit dorky... and a bit overboard you could probably safely lose that bit of kit wink good luck man, and enjoy it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret, I won't take a crap without wearing my back protector, to be honest I don't notice wearing it and it gives a bit of warmth, feels weird without it now, like something is missing. Plus you look Gnar in the pub Laughing The helmet is coming but might not get used, or maybe it does, I put in stealthy earphones a while back. wink
ski holidays
stab, You'll be cool. The trick is to listen to the feedback and change your riding "on demand", demonstrating improvement through out the week Laughing

IIRC you get a second go with the teaching session if it doesn't go well 1st time round, but it's pretty straight forward.
snow conditions
Is it frowned upon to skip lunch and go board on your own? I'd hate to be in zermatt a week and not get any boarding in.
ski holidays
stab, all down to energy... with your age you shouldnt have a problem but it reminds me of a story that my L2 trainer told me last season... she was doing an L2 ski course and had a couple of gung ho young un's who would skip lunch and go ski off piste. While she was eating she got a call as they were "lost" and werent sure what to do but could see the restaraunt. She left her lunch a bit annoyed and had a look. turned out they were down a gully that turns into a several hundred metre cliff drop. she called a helicopter and went back to finish her pasta Laughing and the lads got air lifted out.... not sure if they passed the bit on adhering to the skiers code wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, hahaha. I won't be doing that, glaciers scare me most of the time just on piste. With my age Laughing I expect to be the oldest. Embarassed
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

back protector

a back protector while doing central theme may come across a bit dorky... and a bit overboard you could probably safely lose that bit of kit wink good luck man, and enjoy it Toofy Grin

Quite a few of the boarders at the Anwarter in Kaprun wore back protectors....

stab wrote:
skimottaret, hahaha. I won't be doing that, glaciers scare me most of the time just on piste. With my age Laughing I expect to be the oldest. Embarassed

You wouldn't be at the Anwarter Wink
snow report
You should only do an instructor`s course if you are committed to teach, and not as a badge to show your ability . If keen to help others learn, join your local ski club , get involved at your local facility and do a Snowsport England Club Instructor course leading to ASSI. It`s not a glamerous as snow teaching but will test your commitment, communication skills , clear demonstraions and inventiveness.If you can consistently get people to have fun, and to learn safely, you have the attributes to go forward.
The BASI system is expensive but is now regarded as one of the best in the world for learning outcomes. If you want to teach in FRANCE go through the french state system , which is cheaper and quicker, but still with the speed test for the top level [ equivalent to BASI 4 ISTD].All the European cartel nations, including Austria, has a speed test. Switz is outside the equivalence cartel.
ski holidays
aaaarrrggghhhhhhhh. I don't really want to slag off basi just before I rock up at one of their courses but aarrrggghhhhh. Getting drunk and brewery spring to mind. If I was uk based I would be exploding at someone right now.
ski holidays
tbovey, stab lives in Switzerland so doing an ASSI through Snowsports England on a dry slope in the UK is not really the easiest route for him. That's why he is doing the L1, CP module and First Aid course all in Zermatt.

stab, what's the aaaargggghhh and stress about? Puzzled

Just go and do the course and all will become clear! You can probably ask the ski school you work for after you've passed the course if they will count some of your everyday duties you will be doing anyway towards your shadowing hours, because yes, strictly speaking the ski tech stuff etc does count. If you want my advice though, do as much shadowing of proper lessons as you possibly can and try and do some of the teaching yourself (whilst the instructor who you are shadowing supervises you so to speak). It is quite surprising, although it seems like a bit of a pain to start with, just how much you pick up from doing this after you've done the L1.

Could be, you might go on the L1 and afterwards, think nah, it's not for me. Even if you do so it will give you structure for when you teach a friend or relative to board in the future if nothing else, even if you don't pursue it you'll meet other people and stuff, so....

david@mediacopy has good advice. Just do what they tell you to do. Simple. The teaching bit is not difficult, you only have to teach "a bit" of a lesson anyway. Very Happy

Good Luck Toofy Grin
snow report
deep breath deep breath, smoke break.

"hi, I sent an email to you but I get an auto response"
"ah ok, send an email then"
"but I just get an out of office auto response"
"I see, well send an email then"
"but like I said, auto response"
"ok, did you email them, that's the best thing to do"
"yeah great, I will, kthxbye" rolling eyes

awesome Laughing
ski holidays
stab, think you're taking more boarding gear for a week than I'm planning for a season!

Good luck and let us know what they expect from you as I'm still thinking of doing it at some point.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

stab, what's the aaaargggghhh and stress about? Puzzled

load of little things all building up in the week I'm trying to partake in less doobage and sort my head out.

Thanks for the advice though, now I'm going to stop crying like a little girl and get on with it.
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
stab, think you're taking more boarding gear for a week than I'm planning for a season!

Good luck and let us know what they expect from you as I'm still thinking of doing it at some point.

I like to change outfits Smile
I shall report back in a week no doubt, maybe it will be life changing or maybe I'll just not want to teach in the future, or maybe I'll fail, in which case it's obviously fixed Laughing
ski holidays
stab wrote:
deep breath deep breath, smoke break.

"hi, I sent an email to you but I get an auto response"
"ah ok, send an email then"
"but I just get an out of office auto response"
"I see, well send an email then"
"but like I said, auto response"
"ok, did you email them, that's the best thing to do"
"yeah great, I will, kthxbye" rolling eyes

awesome Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's the funniest thing I've read today.

I haven't had any trouble with them. Must be you wink Laughing
snow report
stab, on the first day they will go round the room and ask you all your reasons for going on the course/ask for a bit of background (it's very short though!!) so just tell them that you work in a ski hire shop now or whatever, you've done a bit of teaching here and there for family and friends and you want to find out if teaching boarding long term is for you.

Which is basically it ain't it?
snow report
stab, man, you need to chill and go and enjoy it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy