Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bindings?? what does DIN mean???? what are the difference between bindings??

Poster: A snowHead
Kel,

You might have missed this when you started, but skiing is a sport
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horizon,

Apologies for earlier I was not aware of the history, it's when you get the quotes:

hey just coz i dont know the technical side of things doesnt mean i cant ski or get all mountain skis, just always had a pro to sort that side of things out for me (was you not paying attention the day the pro described DIN settings )

and

oh i already have skis, had them for a few yrs now think people assume im still stuck at the snow plow lol i learned quickly very quickly and was doing parallels in my first 3days thats was yrs back so yes i can ski lol

You begin to realize all is not above board with grazygeorges, , maybe he should rename his tag "Walter Mitty" (showing my age here.)

BTW what's a plow Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
forums, its like sarcasm in a bowl. haha not all above board its not watchdog you muppet
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skid & slide wrote:
Kel,

You might have missed this when you started, but skiing is a sport

Thats gone completely over my head you'll have to explain Puzzled to someone who started over 30 years ago.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Such a beautiful thread!

If it helps I laughed at Horizon's answer. lol.

grazygeorges wrote:
forums, its like sarcasm in a bowl. haha not all above board its not watchdog you muppet

WTF? lol
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kel, nice one Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
grazygeorges,

When you posted I gave you good advice, advice which only a beginner would have needed. I did not think horizon's reply was at all appropriate at the time, but now I can see why he posted in this way.

You clearly have not got the experience which you state you have or you would not be asking the questions that you are asking. Don't be embarassed come clean in the fact that you are a relative newbie, their is nothing wrong with that. You would like some good advice and there is a good chance that you will receive it.

Being called a Muppet from someone who doesn't know the difference between his "Back Country" and his "Back side" endorses the fact that you are just a bit of a T**T
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
haha kel more like you are a stuck up pratt and a saddo at that lol, yeah im probably quite new to skiing compared to you but ive been skiing 5yrs now 2-3wks abroad a yr so i can ski to a competant level. never said i wanted to be in the olympics or do back flips but not knowing certain info doesnt mean you can look down on people like you certainly do and horizon does. ye i want all mountain skis big deal get over yourself lol
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kel, I think I'm with you here rolling eyes .

grazygeorges I thought horizon's post was unhelpful to (what I thought) was a newbie, but it's beyond belief that someone with 5 years x 2-3 weeks a year does not know about din settings.

Kel has given good advice, in good faith, to your question - shame to engage now in a slanging match.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
grazygeorges wrote:
haha kel more like you are a stuck up pratt and a saddo at that lol, yeah im probably quite new to skiing compared to you but ive been skiing 5yrs now 2-3wks abroad a yr so i can ski to a competant level. never said i wanted to be in the olympics or do back flips but not knowing certain info doesnt mean you can look down on people like you certainly do and horizon does. ye i want all mountain skis big deal get over yourself lol

10-15 weeks skiing and you don't know what a DIN setting is, did somebody mention Muppet Razz

Anyway this is getting boring now, I am supposed to be working from home today and what with giving you good advice, then taking the P*** out of you . I'm getting bug all done.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
grazygeorges, I didn't look down on you before. I made a joke (and then I posted some useful links). Some people didn't think it funny or helpful - too bad, I'll live with it, and I didn't attack them in return. If you remember I credited you with enough intelligence not to follow my advice blindly - that's not looking down.

However, I do look down on you now. You've come on the forum and the vast majority of people here, Kel included, have been patient with your questions and have given you a lot of info. You have now responded with insults, twice. I could have at least understood if you insulted me but you had a go at someone who was helping you.

You're quite young and not very bright. You would do better by being more humble.

(but I recommend the TGR forums, they're less stuck up than us here on snowheads).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 3-09-08 16:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handbags.

Smashin'

Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
horizon wrote:

holidayloverxx, I don't really think that grazygeorges will go out, buy a 14-21 DIN binding and crank it up based on my advice, do you?

the way this thread is going I wouldn't be surprised if he did rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the only way to resolve this is a SKI-OFF between horizon, Kel and grazygeorges Cool
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, chinese downhill ?
snow conditions
Arno, brian, deal!

But only if we ski on twintips, backwards, with DINs either on 14 or on 3.

(Kel, in answer to your "apologies" post earlier on, no problem! )
ski holidays
Quote:

(but I recommend the TGR forums, they're less stuck up than us here on snowheads).

As agreeable easygoing bunch of chaps and chapesses as you could ever hope to meet, I agree. They're also the best spot for advice on all mountain skis and don't get half as moody as this lot.[/quote]
ski holidays
horizon wrote:

But only if we ski on twintips, backwards, with DINs either on 14 or on 3.

one set to 14 one set to 3 should enhance proceedings wink
latest report
Snowheads Gold Laughing
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Right, methinks it's time for an admission. I have been skiing for many years and did not know, until I encountered the term on snowHeads, that what I called binding release settings (or an improvised French equivalent, no problems in ever getting the ski shop to understand) were actually called DIN settings. Unlike grazygeorges, I just looked the term up when I encountered it on here, rather than risking the sort of roasting he's just suffered. How many people, I wonder, know what the letters D I N stand for (without looking it up)? Not many, I'll wager.

Come on folks, give the boy a break. I wouldn't be surprised if, like me, he knew perfectly well that there were different settings, depending on weight, ability etc, for the release of bindings, he just didn't know what they were called. You'd better tell me I'm right, grazygeorges!
snow report
 brian
brian
Hurtle, aw, what a disappointment ! I thought you were about to fess up to a crazy, freewheeling, grammatically challenged alter ego for a wee minute there.
latest report
grazygeorges an alias of Hurtle? i like your thinking, brian Laughing
ski holidays
brian, Arno, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle, He may well tell you you're right .. but that isnt going to mean much Im afraid rolling eyes It was patently clear that he/she couldnt relate the two nor knew anything of 'release settings' iirc from the first few posts .. he was going to follow Horizon's advice !

confession time .... what is a 'Chinese Downhill' ? Embarassed
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/6pXY2owTuOQ&feature=related

Race to the death.
snow report
Agenterre,
Quote:

he was going to follow Horizon's advice
It's of course speculation on both our parts, but he did put a smiley after that comment.
snow report
It's obviously that time of year. Summer madness breaks out at snowheads!! snowHead Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ok...horizon's post was classic and I ROFLMAO...but we should now cut some slack or he wont come back.....which would make us a bit mean.

We had a laugh and .... was that you, Hurtle...????
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, that would be telling wink
snow conditions
DIN

Deutsches Institut für Normung

Isn't Google usefull Smile

The German Institute for standardisation, and DIn can be applied to lots of standards for lots of things not just binding releases.

Also lots of us ski on non DIN release or even non-release bindings Toofy Grin though I've wimped out with my latest purchase and gone for 7TMs agian.
ski holidays
Hurtle, .. it was the post after that which did it for me.

Agreed though time to back off so that greazygeorges feels welcome to return ..
snow report
For years, to me, DIN always used to mean those nasty 5-pin plugs on things like tape recorders that were a complete b*gger to solder.
ski holidays
DIN equals 'Deutche Institut fur Normung' and is as someone previously said a German organisation. Its used for lots of other engineering standards besides ski bindings where a set of standard criteria are required so that consumers are assured of equivalent standards and measures.

http://www.din.de/cmd?level=tpl-home&contextid=din

Whoops just noticed that someone had posted the above info earlier that'll teach me not to reload my browser more frequently! Embarassed
snow conditions
Anyone know exactly how the DIN standard for release settings is actually worked out to begin with?
ski holidays
right had a quick read right through the post, my word you can tell the 3 main people on this thread are english. i think grazygeorge was asking a genuine question i mean i have been skiing for quite a while and comeone everyone you must admit when you go to france, italy etc and rent gear they dont ask anything about DIN they just give you the skis and away you go. i remember also when i first bought a pair of skis the chap sorted out everything for me while i looked around the shop for poles, boots etc again saying nothing about DIN so maybe grazygeorge has had the same experience and just wanted to ask about it. by the time i knew about DIN i was skiing from red to blacks didnt mean i wasnt capable of using more advanced skis.

grazygeorge - man you came across well too strong with your comments, some people in here have been skiing for decades and will know almost everything about everything. just do a lil background research beforehand and the real troopers will come through with great advice. some others will feel that because they know a lot everyone should know a lot and will automatically make jokes and take the p**s to make themselves look good but dont bite back and certainly dont go overboard with comments like that mate. personally i can see where you are coming from and understand your question and dont believe that you are such a newbie as others think. my guess is you dont read ski magazines or look on ski websites very often which maybe a good idea, get yourself down to whsmith see whats on the shelves this winter have a good read through. do you really need an all mountain ski? i mean where are you going to be skiing for example? if your doing a week in france then the chances of you getting good off piste conditions are slim so dont waste your money. if your doing a season in the US or canada then your going to get days where the snow doesnt stop and even on piste you may need an all mountain ski especially as the snow is less wet than in europe. again though lay off on the comments

kel and horizon - think you were a bit out of line to begin with both of you put the poor lad down, ye his comments were out of line but come on guys i thought this forum was a place were people could ask questions and not get the p**S taken out of them just coz they dont live and breath skiing like others do. kel you did give great advice at first which is what this place is about but then just coz they guy wants some all mountain skis you have a go at him not nice guys. like i said though dont agree with his comments but dont agree with yours either.

i await the roasting from all 3 of you now Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
slikedges, 25 skiers of each weight are pushed in a line down a steep slope. Halfway down is a hidden trip wire. All the skiers bindings are at set measured stages of 'tightness'. The stage at which bindings begin to release are entered into a chart. Then the skiers are replaced by a heavier batch. Eventually we end up with the Lardyboy settings Laughing
snow report
colors,
Quote:

i thought this forum was a place were people could ask questions and not get the p**S taken out of them just coz they dont live and breath skiing like others do.

My experience is that this forum is exactly that - I think I can claim the crown in recent years here for asking what would appear to be the obvious. I think GrazyGeorges has been the victim of Snowheads summer high jinks which is a little off-putting for a newcomer. I logged on in the Winter for the first time and may have been spared the worst of it though at times I probably tried the collective patience Laughing In fairness although it would have made sense for him to have searched the forum first, when I first logged on, Snowheads was one of my first experiences of an internet forum - I didn't even know that they could be searched, or that it was worth looking for instructional 'stickies' in the threads. Also, to be honest there is a knack to driving the search function on this site as well - I'm fairly good with software, but it is not, shall we say, intuitive.

Grazygeorges - this mob is actually harmless enough - we all have pop at each other from time to time, but the information is out there when you need it. Stick around - someone new is always nice to chat to and welcome to the forum
snow report
colors,

I don't want ding ding round 2 with you but for the record and if you read the post you will see this. I thought Horizon along with others was bang out of order for replying as he did. Then it was brought to my attention that "its all gone quiet over there grazygeorge" had other post including one about all mountain skis. At this point the penny dropped what is he on, my reply was intended for what I presumed was still a newbie and again gave him good advice to rent.

At this point grazygeorge starts a slanging match with me, the main person to have given him sound advice!!.

That's when I take the P***.

read the [post again and I think you may well agree.
snow conditions
Seconds out............... Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy