Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanting everything

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

having just come back from Argentina and some fantastic skiing, I am trying to reduce my depression by looking into and researching my next ski holiday. The only thing is that we have a big enough group, that need a bit of everything...so advice and thoughts on resorts would be fully welcome.

Requirements - we are mixed standard from beginners to back country skiers. The resort would have to have some great back country/off piste, but also have access to easy blues. We are still young enough to enjoy the odd night or two out, so the place would need to have a bit of night life. We would be looking at staying in a chalet, doesn't have to be 5* but fairly comfortable. Ski in/ski out would be sweet, but not the end of the world.

Last year we were in Val D'Isere, but this was a little intimidating for the beginners. Have skied Val Thorens and this is a strong alternative (looking at a high resort as well.) Other thoughts were Les Arc (1950,) would love Lech/Oberlech, but dont think we will find any accomidation for less that 1 milllion pounds! So if anyone has the perfect resort can you let me know, and help remove this fog of gloom that has surrounded me since my return to work...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dublinfella, Tignes. Same ski area (natch) but loads of easier runs than Val D on the doorstep.

I've organised trips for a big group for the last three/four years and this now seems to be the group fave.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dublinfella, Chamonix?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dublinfella, you could look at La Rosiere, if you go with a small company who really know the area you'll find some great off-piste and the beginners in your group will love the wide open pistes. It's high, with a good snow-record, it's usually always one of the top 5 French resorts for snow-cover and it has the added bonus of skiing in Italy on a single lift pass. There's a really good ESF with 2 fully qualified high mountain guides as well as lots of good local instructors who know all the best routes. There's also the best value heli-skiing in Europe and if you want to learn to kite ski or board that's available as well. If you want to ski other areas; Ste Foy is just over 20 minutes away whilst Val d'Isere, Tignes and Les Arcs are all within 40 minutes. Check out www.tracksvacations.com or www.morealps.com or www.amountainchalet.com for more information, all have been operating in La Rosiere for a god few years and they all offer ski hosting as part of their service. You've also got Snow Crazy and Ski Olympic as well as Crystal and Ski Espirit so there's a good choice of chalets, some of which are ski-in/ski-out but it doesn't really matter because the resort is compact and there's a free ski navette service.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dublinfella, if you haven't seen already, I have PM'ed you.
latest report
 brian
brian
David L wrote:
it's usually always

o/t, a top contender for the horrendous use of language thread in apres !

Also, good to see La Ros is not being left neglectfully unpimped. Thank heavens, a snowHead s institution. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alpe d'huez would tick a lot of those boxes
get a guide and be prepared to walk for 20 mins or so for the backcountry skiing or else you'll never find the good stuff though. you'll be sharing it with much far fewer people than most "big name" resorts
it is flat around the resort and (broadly) gets steeper the further up the hill you go so it's quite good for mixed groups
my own choice is to stay in Vaujany - good access to the interesting skiing for the experts (some of the big runs end there so it makes life a bit easier at the end of the day) and a nice area immediately off the lift for the not-so-expert. it does lose out a bit on nightlife though - there are a few bars and one club but it isn't exactly hopping. neither is Vaujany ski-in ski out - you might get somewhere like that in Alpe d'Huez itself if you are lucky
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey again,

Thanks for all the suggestions, sounds great.
pam w, I would love to ski cham, but thought it might be more advanced than some of our beginners would like.
Mosha Marc, I was thinking of Tignes, but heard that it gets hectically busy, but certainly a good option
David L, must have a good gander at La Ros, sounds so nice indeed
Arno, have skied Alpe D'Huez but was thinking the piste skiing might be a little too easy - for memory there wasn't too many hard on piste runs - but its been quite a long time
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dublinfella, if you say so. there are a number of blacks of varying difficulty but i guess it depends what sort of challenge you are looking for.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dublinfella, it's a heck of a big area. We were there last year in the hectic hell that is half term. I can't remember being caught up in any queues of significant size.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian wrote:
David L wrote:
it's usually always

o/t, a top contender for the horrendous use of language thread in apres !

Also, good to see La Ros is not being left neglectfully unpimped. Thank heavens, a snowHead s institution. Very Happy

Have we had someone in the pimper's protection programme?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dublinfella, there is good beginner skiing at Les Houches and Le Tour (opposite ends of the valley, unfortunately). If you stayed somewhere near the Le Tour (far) end you could find something for most people nearby. But there are people on here who know Chamonix very well who could give you more useful info. It's not a good place for meeting up at lunchtime with people of different abilities, though. But I guess your back country people won't be around the caffs at lunchtime anyway?

I don't think Tignes is any busier than other big places - just be sure not to go anywhere in France in the four weeks starting the second week in February. And when it is busy, the Espace Killy's stupendous lift system comes into its own.

The key thing for your beginners will be to enrol them in top quality lessons - the quality of instruction will be more important than the wider nature of the resort.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Arcs gets my vote for mixed ability every time, easy resort runs unlike that half-pipe you have to go down in Val-d-isere and enough challenging terrain for all but the hardest of hardcore thrill seekers. Early intermediates will be capable of exploring most of the Paradiski area (linked Les Arcs - LaPlagne) and the Vanoise Express Presuming it is open is a must..

BTW if you have skied ADH but thought the piste skiing was easy, you obviously didn't do "The Tunnel"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel,
Quote:

BTW if you have skied ADH but thought the piste skiing was easy, you obviously didn't do "The Tunnel"

Oh God, don't remind me.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are looking at Les Arcs 1950 have a look at Crystal - we normally do it yourself but I couldn't get anywhere near their price and some of the others were up to £1000 more for the same!
snow report
Dublinfella wrote:
...would love Lech/Oberlech, but dont think we will find any accomidation for less that 1 milllion pounds!

No! Hotels are just normal price in Lech - have a good google - I like the Gotthard... (well I've just booked, never actually been but looks nice..)
snow conditions
Dublinfella, LDA might also fit the bill. Plenty of off piste and lots of peeps to show you where it is. Nice easy skiing on the glacier and down to 2,600 + very good real beginners slopes. The off piste does get tracked out though, but there's La Grave and St. Christophe to do as well as the local stuff. Plenty of varied accommodation and lively at night. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy